test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is Beyond a set-up for Discovery? (spoilers)

isthisscienceisthisscience Member Posts: 863 Arc User
Most likely, Discovery is set between ENT and TOS (from the fact it is a USS - we're looking post Romulan Wars and post founding of the UFP). Beyond featured heavily the turmoil in the early days of the Federation where the veterans of the Xindi and Romulan wars had to adjust to a new age of peace and exploration. It is hardly unusual to set up your new spin off via existing media, so can we guess a theme of Discovery is the crew adapting to this new paradigm? Will we see some Franklin-class ships. If his paypacket wasn't an issue, we could get a Krall backstory...

Comments

• artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    @crashdragon Have you even seen Beyond?​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • dragonseye1138dragonseye1138 Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    Of course he hasn't. He prefers to judge something he's never seen based on a biased opinion using flawed information. Rather than produce a logical, reasoned argument against the new films, he simply parrots the same cherry-picked bits of data and spouts bile and vitriol in the hopes that someone will agree with him and therefore validate his viewpoint.

tl;dr, he's an attention TRIBBLE and we should ignore him.
    Q is a Magical Girl.
  • isthisscienceisthisscience Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Not according to the repeated statements by CBS & Lead writer Bryan Fuller who specifically stated the new show is not connected to Beyond.

While a fair point, it doesn't mean they aren't talking to the same era of history. If A focuses on impact of a certain decade then you set B in certain decade, some connection is hard to avoid. The one oft-quoted comment of it not being connected to Beyond could simply be a reiteration that a) they are not linked production wise and b) are not in the same universe or time period.