test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Making the game better

After the Agents of Yesterday expansion I noticed they have made a lot of little improvements that make the game way better. I don't know if anyone else cares about this, but things like making characters now hold the rifle properly against the shoulder makes the game look so much better. Also finally improving the mail system were you can delete multiple checked items, was a huge headache that was fixed. Now if they would change separating items to make selling easier lol. But I digress. What type of improvements, no matter how big or small, have made you like the game better?

Comments

• Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    I get a extra drop of honey in my nerve tonic when I smile at the bar tender.

Then again, it may be due to my Bat'leth being suddenly embedded in the bar.​​

Now if we can only get our Bartender to make Nerve Tonic.
  • Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    Is it just me, of does the thread title here remind you of the Packleds?
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    bergins wrote: »
    Is it just me, of does the thread title here remind you of the Packleds?

Yup.... Makes me want to go. :p
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    The addition of the Kelvin Timeline stuff made me appreciate STO a lot more.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    I was playing the first episode of the Borg arc earlier today and I noticed some new Borg voiced dialog in space, which was a nice little improvement to the mission.
  • Options
    sylveriareldensylveriarelden Member Posts: 531 Arc User
    I still wish the bartend would learn I want mine in a stemmed glass, tyvm.

Jokes aside, I'm really not sure I want to open this can of worms.

Sure there's a lot of "little things" that have been improved, but most of it has been overshadowed by some real huge sticking points for me. I don't begrudge any business for wanting to make money- it's the cash-grab-shinies nature of things and the direction the tier pricing system is taking that's disturbing to me. Let's keep releasing a new specialization type every few months, and make it exclusive only to the newest ships we're selling in the C-store... let's keep stepping the pricing upward with each tier, etc. Let's sell expensive ships with little/no customization... (lots more I could add here)

I've probably spent more than I should on this game already, and it's becoming quite the expensive hobby- I could be spending it on other things that hold sustainable material value/worth (versus in-game pixels) instead. Chances are if there aren't some changes incoming, that's the direction I'll be taking and I'll cut my losses.

I'm now just trying to enjoy the game until I see what the future holds. If it's more of the same old, I can tell you right now I likely won't be around for it- and I won't be able to recommend it to anyone, either.

Recently, I had the idea of just parking my account, creating a brand new one and not spending a penny in it, just to see what's really valuable about the game outside of the micro transaction thing. Just start from scratch- get a fresh perspective on it, wouldn't take me long at all to level up a new character so the majority of it would be looking at the systems in place, etc. Perhaps I'll just start with a Temporal so I can see the difference in the "assists/extras" new players get versus the old style of leveling (lots has changed, that's for sure).

Maybe I'll rediscover those things I liked so much about the game to begin with along the way.
    It's not you- it's me. I just need my space.

Being critical doesn't take skill. Being constructively critical- which is providing alternative solutions or suggestions to a demonstrated problem, however, does.
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    I don't think what you are mentioning (OP) are new things...

At least I distinctly remember being able to remove multiple mails months ago, so at the very least, that's not new at all...
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    The mail check boxes were only added this year I think. Definitely in the last 12 months.
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    The mail check boxes were only added this year I think. Definitely in the last 12 months.

Not denying that... But its not a AoY thing.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    anazonda wrote: »

Not denying that... But its not a AoY thing.

True, they were already in place awhile before AoY.

• Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    I've probably spent more than I should on this game already, and it's becoming quite the expensive hobby- I could be spending it on other things that hold sustainable material value/worth (versus in-game pixels) instead. Chances are if there aren't some changes incoming, that's the direction I'll be taking and I'll cut my losses.

I always find the 'it's only pixels' line or reasoning strange. Have you never gone to the movies? Eaten a fine diner? Gone on a museum tour? Blown a day binge watching a bunch of rental movies? Visited a national park? None to these things leaves you with sustained material value, but they're still some of our most sought out pleasures.

People pay for experiences all the time. I may own a lovely Eaglemoss figurine of the Vengeance and will enjoy it from time to time long after this game is gone, but in the mean time I paid far more for the pixels version so I could delight in imagining being in command in a far more immersive experience than just holding up that model in in my hand and making shhhhhoooooosh sounds :). And I expect to keep launching the client and playing with my pixel toys for some time to come, perhaps adding to my screen shot folder in much the same way as I have folders from the museum trips, the parks, and a few pictures of food I have enjoyed. Pixels have enormous value to me.

• Options
    sylveriareldensylveriarelden Member Posts: 531 Arc User
    nikeix wrote: »

I always find the 'it's only pixels' line or reasoning strange. Have you never gone to the movies? Eaten a fine diner? Gone on a museum tour? Blown a day binge watching a bunch of rental movies? Visited a national park? None to these things leaves you with sustained material value, but they're still some of our most sought out pleasures.

People pay for experiences all the time. I may own a lovely Eaglemoss figurine of the Vengeance and will enjoy it from time to time long after this game is gone, but in the mean time I paid far more for the pixels version so I could delight in imagining being in command in a far more immersive experience than just holding up that model in in my hand and making shhhhhoooooosh sounds :). And I expect to keep launching the client and playing with my pixel toys for some time to come, perhaps adding to my screen shot folder in much the same way as I have folders from the museum trips, the parks, and a few pictures of food I have enjoyed. Pixels have enormous value to me.

I suppose you've got a point. I never really did look at it as "renting an experience", and coming from that perspective it really does seem to make a lot more sense. It doesn't really change the direction sense of things- but we'll have to see what the future brings.
    It's not you- it's me. I just need my space.

Being critical doesn't take skill. Being constructively critical- which is providing alternative solutions or suggestions to a demonstrated problem, however, does.
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    Having concerns about the cost vs. value is totally reasonable. The game changes and your interest in it should rise and fall in the larger context.

I'd suggest not buying anything for a little while. Take an old ship out of storage and fly it around. Remind yourself why you spent all that money in the past. Give those older pixels some enduring value by playing with them again :).
  • Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    Deleting multi mails was a nice improvement, as was the additional voice work on older episodes.

My most favorite "minor qol" change is already quite old, maybe a year or so, when the finishing up of doff missions changed from "1 every 5 seconds" via "3 every 5 seconds" to "all at once".

I also like the dil auto refinery. Not perfect so far, but as someone who's not on the refining limit most of the time, it gets the work done.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • Options
    goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    A number of improvements for visuals to the Klingons. Also...character icons look different...better than they did. Small improvement, but good!
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    Several things also broke with the release of AoY. An example is Shoot Mode for ground combat where if there was a pop up window which required you to click something like for dropped items, then that would put players in RPG mode until you click a selection. It was an extremely annoying bug that finally got fixed.

Another bug that was introduced and still is a bug is the death animation. Even when you / NPCs are "dead", you / they are still standing for a while.

Don't know about anyone else, but I had a couple of items disappear from my captains' inventories. The items seemed to have been replaced by a "Null Item" meaning the slot is currently occupied by a "Null Item" that cannot be moved and when you right click to ID the item I get a blank popup window. The one such "Null Item" is in an area where I have placed epic quality weapons on one particular character. Of course I have no way to prove what the specs of the epic weapon is supposed to be... I have 10 captains and I cannot possibly remember what items are in which specific slot for a specific captain. All I can say it that it is supposed to be an Epic Disruptor Beam Array between Mk XII and MK XIV with I do not know what mods.
  • Options
    hugin1205hugin1205 Member Posts: 489 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »
    I get a extra drop of honey in my nerve tonic when I smile at the bar tender.

Then again, it may be due to my Bat'leth being suddenly embedded in the bar.​​

Now if we can only get our Bartender to make Nerve Tonic.

I sear my DPS was much higher before I drank that Nerf-tonic :naughty:

18 characters
    KDF: 2 tacs, 2 engs, 3 scis
    KDF Roms: 3 tacs, 1 eng, 1 scis
    FED: 2 tacs, 1 eng, 2 scis
    TOS: 1 tac
    all on T5 rep (up to temporal)
    all have mastered Intel tree (and some more specs Points)
    highest DPS: 60.982