test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

T6 Discovery! How would you Build it?

So we've seen the new ship in a teaser at SDCC.

And we've heard Geko talk about Cryptic's desire to get the new show into the game, though that may take some time due to scheduling.

Thus we know that the potential to have this ship in the game is high!

How would you build it? Is it a cruiser? (Looks like one to me).
Is it a command cruiser? Would you put a different special jawn on it? Intelligence? Temporal? Something new entirely?
What kind of seating would you put in it?

I know this is likely premature, because we'd need to see more of the show to determine some stuff (like special console, cannon capabilities, hangar pets, etc).

But let's start dreaming up ways this new ship could work in STO! Then at least see who guesses right!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comments

• daedalus304daedalus304 Member Posts: 1,049 Arc User
    I'd need a lot more information.

I can forgive it's....weird design, if it had some prototype style to it. if this was pre (given the prefix it might be) TOS then I can easily see this as being Star Treks....."destiny, ala SG:Universe" old, crude, and works to a point.
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    I don't want this abomination in the game. AT ALL.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • firstaid#5667 firstaid Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    I'm hoping it's a science cruiser.
    It looks beautiful to me :)
  • felix313felix313 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    talonxv wrote: »
    I don't want this abomination in the game. AT ALL.

Agreed
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Oh look. Fanbois are still unable to grasp the concept of choice.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    I don't care what the build is. I won't use it or buy it.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    1. Personally, I think it is ugly as sin, but has nothing to do with my wanting it to not show up as a T6 ship ingame.

2. My hopes of not seeing this as a T6 ship has everything to do with the implication that, with a registry number lower than the TOS Enterprise, along with some design hints that tell us it isn't that far off from it in age (if anything, IMO, it is older). The same logic that keeps us from getting a T6 TOS Connie should apply here.

3. As to how I would build it? If they gave it to me, and it was T6, I'd probably throw some stuff on it and run it to get the trait. Other than that, I likely wouldn't build it at all, because... see Point 1.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    I don't think it's suitable as a T6. I'd build it as a T1 or T2, probably as a Science ship with an extra Tac console (because it looks like it's built to take some serious punishment, and probably dish some out in return - if we're right about the era it takes place in, it could encompass the war with the Klingons, or at least some border skirmishes). Making it T6, however, makes about as much sense to me as a T6 NX.​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,319 Community Moderator
    edited July 2016
    It looks to me like a cross between a Federation starship and a Klingon battlecruiser to me. I'm wondering if the show will be taking place at a point in history after the Klingons join the Federation.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • captsolcaptsol Member Posts: 921 Arc User
    Not a fan of the design, but, like others have said, until we have more information on what it does, where it's set, etc I don't want to even begin to extrapolate how to make it a tier anything. ;)
  • tyrionjkirktyrionjkirk Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    Completely from the point of view of the show I think it is a horrible design. It resembles the ST Phase II design by Ralph McQuarrie. Which I am so happy that did not happen. For me it does not look like a hero ship for a new chapter of the franchise. I really hope they reconsider this design. I do love the name Discovery which hopefully imply's a renewed interest in exploration for a ST TV show.

Now from a Star Trek Online point of view I would not purchase this ship in game if the final design looks anything like does in the teaser trailer. It does not matter the stats I have enough ships in game I do not use other then unlocking the trait so it would be a waste of money for me.
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    I'd like one, or a skin of it :D
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    I think it's ugly. But getting it into STO is fine with me. I would turn it into a Federation carrier, T2 or T3 with a better looking, more modern T6 version equivalent. Feds don't have lower tier carriers so this could fill in a gap.
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    Ok. Just to really drive home how pointless the idea of 'age' of a ship is in its Tier viability ...

Not 3 minutes ago I finished up doing an ISA run. In my T6 Daedalus. And I was cranking out a ton of DPS in this very dated ship that is super old, retired for over a century, and is very tiny.

So let's set aside ALL of the issues with how old a ship is affecting its tier status ok?

1- We don't know the time this show is set in yet. There's just rumor and speculation. It's been established that registry number is not an indication of age already in the show itself. All we know for sure is Bryan Fuller states this show takes place in the Prime Universe.
    2- We have Geko's commentary that the STO team wants to incorporate the show into the game. That means we'll see this ship. There WILL be a ton of people who want to fly this ship. And now that we have T6 Daedalus, T6 Kelvin Timeline Constitution, and T6 everything else, it stands to reason that both the fans of the show that play the game and fans of ship collecting will want a T6 version of the newest ship for the newest show.
    3- Agents of Yesterday would be the perfect plot-point machine to allow for a T6 of ANYTHING.

So ... again, let's set aside the already debunked argument that age has anything to do with tier of ship playability.

And focus on the actual topic here ... how would you build a T6 Discovery?
    It's got some Klingon Battlecruiser looking lines. It could be a battle cruiser, and all that entails. What kind of specialization? Would it be worth desinging a new specialization for it? If it's the flagship of the show would it work as a command cruiser?

I've seen some of you folks kit out what you would love to see in a T6 TOS Constitution and post it up. That's what I'm asking for here. Dream big and see what you could build into this brand new ship that we've only seen a clip of, but that we all know as it's now the new ship of the new show, will be massively desired in this game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Boy, this one really derailed. :/

• theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User
    The looks do not matter with this ship, I'd build it as a destroyer with phaser dual cannons and photons
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • jorumgandrjorumgandr Member Posts: 142 Arc User
      I could see it as a carrier of sorts, specially with it being... bottom heavy.
      The looks do not matter with this ship, I'd build it as a destroyer with phaser dual cannons and photons

I like the idea of a destroyer. We don't have many of those in the game.

• jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
      Point of order:

You finished nothing in your T6 Daedalus, because the Daedalus is T2. You finished in your T6 Nautilus wearing its Daedalus skin, just as I've been romping around in my T6 Paladin dressed up like a T5 Ranger.​​
      Lorna-Wing-sig.png
      edited July 2016
      jonsills wrote: »
      Point of order:

You finished nothing in your T6 Daedalus, because the Daedalus is T2. You finished in your T6 Nautilus wearing its Daedalus skin, just as I've been romping around in my T6 Paladin dressed up like a T5 Ranger.​​

Point of re-order:

I'm flying a T6 Daedalus. It looks like one. It IS one. And my homie Agent Cray essentially helped me hi-jack an actual Daedalus from the 23rd century into the 25th, where we then gutted it and refit it with 31st century tech (which is all actually modeled to look exactly like a 23rd century ship interior) and some assistance from Kal Dano (prior to his demise). All as repayment for my crew's bravery and unwavering loyalty to the temporal prime directive.

I don't know what YOU are flying. But that's what I AM flying.

- My exterior is 23rd century
      - My interior is 23rd century
      - My registry number is 3 digits

Seems 23rd century to me. Through and through. Heck the sound effects on half the things I do in this ship are 23rd century.

So, back to the topic ... since it's OBVIOUS that when this show hits, people who play this game are going to want to fly that show's ship at the end-game and ask for T6 versions of it, no matter what ... and this game has already provided the ability to make that happen with whatever Temporal shenanigans exist ... (because I'm also able to fly an end game Constellation, Excelsior, D'Kyr, Nebula, B'Rel, Somraw, Ambassador, T'Varo, and sooooo much more that again, the argument that a ship is at a tier because of age is completely inaccurate).

Let's take guesses on how to build it and see who's right!

So far I like the idea of a destroyer. Or a hybrid battlecruiser since it's got some stuff in common with a D7.
      Post edited by snoggymack22 on
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    • diabolical91diabolical91 Member Posts: 194 Arc User
      i do not want this hideous looking ship anywhere near me in game heck don't want it ingame period its older than tos con so t1 at the most but I just really hate the look of the ship.
    • freightstopperfreightstopper Member Posts: 232 Arc User
      edited July 2016
      I'd build it as the remote target drone / garbage scow it obviously is.

As for it turning up in-game, why not?
      It could be an alternate starter ship, for say a civilian / rogue character.
      Though it making it into STO would mean a massive improvement in how the model currently looks.

Also claims for using T6 23c ships fall flat because you're obviously using a 26c ship with a 23c ship-skin, if you want to make claims like that, USE THE 23C SHIP.

Though it making it into STO would mean a massive improvement in how the model currently looks.

Also claims for using T6 23c ships fall flat because you're obviously using a 26c ship with a 23c ship-skin, if you want to make claims like that, USE THE 23C SHIP.

I'm using a 23rd century ship. Point blank, I'm flying a Daedalus at end-game. There's no way you can argue the ship is too old. The argument failed ages ago when they made the Excelsior end-game. But you all kept clinging to its firefight with a Defiant in one episode of DS9.

So then they started making ships from ENT at end-game. The Somraw Raptor is from ENT era. The D'Kyr is from ENT era. The T'Varo is from ENT era. But you all kept saying that other aliens build their ships to last for centuries and somehow the Federation can't do that.

So then they allowed you to use the Constellation class skin on your end-game T5 Fleet and now TF5U Fleet 4-nacelled cruiser.

You all never really argue that one, as it's a pretty uncomfortable stance to take since that ship design was shown ON SCREEN as being dated, weak and incapable in multiple TNG episodes.

But to really just shove your noses in this thing you've been clinging to for ages, Cryptic decided to one up you, and let the Daedalus fly at T6.

So here's what I'm stating in this topic:

1- People are going to watch this new show.
      2- People are going to like it.
      3- People are going to want to play this game and see elements of the new show in this game.
      4- People are going to ask for an end-game version of the new show's new ship.

That's just the world we are going to live in.

So set aside the dated argument that it's too old to fly at end-game. That argument doesn't hold up. Not in this game. You can fly a ton of dated ships in this game at end-game.

Just plug in whatever explanation you need to, to get to the point where the ship can fly at end-game. And move on to the actual topic ...

How would you design it?
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
      edited July 2016
      Is it this ship?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHUOty8-Ty0

I am pretty sure I have a star trek book with that ship on the cover somewhere.

Edit: nope wasn't that, but close: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/90/Phase_II_Enterprise.jpg
      Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
      Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
      Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
    • sonsofcainsonsofcain Member Posts: 63 Arc User
      edited July 2016
      TRIBBLE getting it in-game. Someone needs to start a change.org petition to abort this abomination.
    • freightstopperfreightstopper Member Posts: 232 Arc User
      edited July 2016

I'm using a 23rd century ship. Point blank, I'm flying a Daedalus at end-game. There's no way you can argue the ship is too old. The argument failed ages ago when they made the Excelsior end-game. But you all kept clinging to its firefight with a Defiant in one episode of DS9.

So then they started making ships from ENT at end-game. The Somraw Raptor is from ENT era. The D'Kyr is from ENT era. The T'Varo is from ENT era. But you all kept saying that other aliens build their ships to last for centuries and somehow the Federation can't do that.

So then they allowed you to use the Constellation class skin on your end-game T5 Fleet and now TF5U Fleet 4-nacelled cruiser.

You all never really argue that one, as it's a pretty uncomfortable stance to take since that ship design was shown ON SCREEN as being dated, weak and incapable in multiple TNG episodes.

But to really just shove your noses in this thing you've been clinging to for ages, Cryptic decided to one up you, and let the Daedalus fly at T6.

So here's what I'm stating in this topic:

1- People are going to watch this new show.
      2- People are going to like it.
      3- People are going to want to play this game and see elements of the new show in this game.
      4- People are going to ask for an end-game version of the new show's new ship.

That's just the world we are going to live in.

So set aside the dated argument that it's too old to fly at end-game. That argument doesn't hold up. Not in this game. You can fly a ton of dated ships in this game at end-game.

Just plug in whatever explanation you need to, to get to the point where the ship can fly at end-game. And move on to the actual topic ...

How would you design it?

How the bloody hell am I supposed to know what era a ship is from if I never saw the show it's in?

Never saw most of DS9, was busy doing Real-life TRIBBLE, like living you know?
      As for 'enterprise' seen clips, heard people comment on it, general view is that they wasted Scott in that role and wasted alot of time and money on the show as a whole, should have given it to me I'd have at least spent it wisely, not thrown it away.

My response to your claim still stands, you are using a T6 ships that ONLY looks like a 23c one, you want bragging rights use the 23sc ship in that queue and do just as well, otherwise it's your little RP story for STO.

Not that I have any problems with that, I just don't want to see or hear about it, ok?

Also, I've never said that ANY ship is too old to be flown at end game, hell if you ask when doing the 'Mindscape' episode why use a 30 year old Voyager your basically told "what the Admiral wants, the Admiral gets".
      I have no problem with them altering the Tier system by throwing it all away and allowing you to upgrade your ship as you level, basically 'raising' it to be the way you want it to be at end-game, would make more sense to me.

So stop getting all huffy and personal, no-one else responding to you has, yet.
    • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,318 Arc User
      anazonda wrote: »
      Is it this ship?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHUOty8-Ty0

I am pretty sure I have a star trek book with that ship on the cover somewhere.

Edit: nope wasn't that, but close: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/90/Phase_II_Enterprise.jpg

Judging from that i understand how people feel it's a mix with a klingon ship.
      Not really a fan of that design. the pieces don't seem to match.
      This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.