test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The role of 39-Sierra

Since the walls fell, it is pretty much as easy to get to Earth from the Romulan missions as it is to get to Starbase 39-Sierra while the Klingons still have to travel all the way to the bottom of the map to access their hubs (unless they're replaying later on so they have NR or Omega).

If Sierra isn't a hub of convenience anymore, does it still fulfil a useful story role? It doesn't give off any intrigue or covert feeling you'd expect from the Romulan border, being a standard starbase with a trade negotiation side story and that weird Heading Out mission (that really should have had a map refresh with the others).

If 39 is ever revisited, it would be cool to see it as more of a covert base of operations monitoring the RSE border. Based on an asteroid like the Earth Outposts in Balance of Terror with an interior feeling like Regular One. Filled with intelligence officers and a representative from the RR, you'd be sent by Burgess instead of Heading Out. Move the trade daily to DS9 and have a frequency monitoring daily like on Of Bajor. Then give it a single transiton from sector space to ground so it has a clear advantage over Earth for basic services.

And then the Klingons - have a cloaked Klingon ship in orbit of the stations that is spying on Starfleet's spying of the Romulans. It would offer the same services to KDF players as the base does to Feds. That would give them their first hub in the region.

Though, more generally, what do you see the role of a hub being? Simply a stop off point for bank etc., a social zone, part of the story?

Comments

• thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    Jarok: 'They're on our new home world and they want to spy on us from several sectors away?'

It's just a starbase / social zone on the Fed-Rom Boarder
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • isthisscienceisthisscience Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    thay8472 wrote: »
    Jarok: 'They're on our new home world and they want to spy on us from several sectors away?'

It's just a starbase / social zone on the Fed-Rom Boarder

That area is RSE controlled - that's what the arc is focused on. Tal Shiar and Sela. Fed and Romulans would totally cooperate on intelligence sharing to bring down the remaining forces.
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    I use the hub when I'm there on the story arcs close to it. This way I can unload my inventory from the loot. I don't go to ESD all the time. So its very handy for me.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • avantgarde01avantgarde01 Member Posts: 273 Arc User
    When I commission a new vessel, I generally do it at 39. Partially because of the low traffic volume, and partially due to the ship selector and bank being so close together. That being said, the base definitely needs a revamp both aesthetically and story wise.
  • megan2478megan2478 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    I use 39 Sierra all the time. Don't take away my starbase :'(