test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A Case for Star Trek: The Animated Series Content

Comments

• xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    Sifting through the stuff, it seems like not too much would come out of this, but who knows, after all AoY is a hark back to that timeline.

Edosians are surely out. Just copying Undine doesn't really help, because Undine don't do the robot and creating all animations and all uniforms for a one off species (maybe even two if we get Undines in the future) that most players would probably skip can't be worth it.

But taking some plot and/or design ideas from it needn't be bad at all.
    ltminns wrote: »
    If they can't figure out how to give out ANY Daily Rewards for the Featured Episode Replay, then do you really think they can add three-legged Species. :)

Read something similar (possibly from you, too?) in a different thread. I don't really know what this refers to, but are you sure they can't, can't it be that they just don't want to do that? Or is there something I'm missing here?
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,646 Arc User
    Here is an excellent treatise about the animated Star Trek series. It responds to many of the observations and criticisms found here in our own conversation. The resolution for this interview was intended for an earlier incarnation of the StarTrek.com website. So it loses a bit when seen on YouTube. The answers to the questions are what's important here. To quote TAS Story Editor and Associate Producer, Dorothy Fontana:
    ...we weren't doing a cartoon. We were doing Star Trek.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z42MGaErayY
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • aphelionmarauderaphelionmarauder Member Posts: 184 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    nikeix wrote: »
    Ok, that thing is neat and I want one. Complete with its lore-inspired weapon-system draining console.

And I'm not asking 'should it be done?' It's been AGES since I've seen the cartoon and was wondering if anyone could list off tangible benefits to be extracted rather than just a vague "oh, Cryptic'll figure it out". I find concrete proposals a lot easier to shepherd into their attention than "Hey, I'd like you to just do a ton of work I haven't really thought through at all..." :)

Good point. My argument in my post was meant to be informative and supportive of the TAS. I tried to keep as much opinion out of it as possible.
    I think the biggest problem with trying to add TaS content is that TaS, being an animted show, had much more freedom to design some really weird looking things, and those things would honestly be pretty difficult to model in-game.
    It's not THAT weird.... you have stuff like the pod ship, but really that was as weird as it really got visually.
    latest?cb=20061122043414&path-prefix=en

Since we are getting Sphere Builders, if they link that ship in as a Sphere Builder ship, that would be AMAZING!!!
    angrytarg wrote: »

I think there is a lot of potential.

Places and planets visited
    Orion uniforms and ships
    Consoles/Traits based on technology seen in TAS
    Caitian hairstyles
    Survival belt EV suits
    Playable TOS ships (Bonaventure, D5)
    TAS aliens (those that can reasonable be added to STO of course. The three-legged, three-armed crewmember of the Enterprise whose name just slipped me cannot be added to STO without changing every single costume available and everything regarding the evil cats (Kzinti) is off limits due to some copyright hassle)

I mean this is asking essentially why a complete chapter of Star Trek canon should not be added to the game.
    ​​

AMEN MY BROTHER! #TASforSTO
    Maybe I'm just silly I think the case about TAS and AoY is not about canon, it's feel and look. TAS really went a bit wilder than TOS when it came to a lot of things. A 0.5 mini season that has a bit of TAS flavor could be good.

That was my though exactly. Make a mini-season out of it. TAS deserves long-overdue recognition, but with the content potential of it, there is only enough to just raise a glass to it. I mean, after all, it did win the first franchise award and did restart the dying heart of Star Trek after CBS almost killed it, of which they rectified that mistake.

When I started this thread, I expected the boo hiss's and trolls to flock on it like vultures on a dead animal, but instead, it has received positive vibes! I thank you all, and let's keep this going! #TASforSTO
    Support the movement!
    Come stand with us in supporting Star Trek: The Animated Series content for STO! (It's canon!) #TASforSTO

Time travel and glass-cannon ships hurt my head and is NOT what Trek is about. Trek is exploration, becoming better as a species, and gaining scientific knowledge while holding on to the traditions that got us where were are.
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Ok, that thing is neat and I want one. Complete with its lore-inspired weapon-system draining console.
    I think the biggest problem with trying to add TaS content is that TaS, being an animted show, had much more freedom to design some really weird looking things, and those things would honestly be pretty difficult to model in-game.
    It's not THAT weird.... you have stuff like the pod ship, but really that was as weird as it really got visually.
    Since we are getting Sphere Builders, if they link that ship in as a Sphere Builder ship, that would be AMAZING!!!
    Given the age of the vessel, that seems unlikely.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • ellyashtearellyashtear Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    i would love to see an Episode based on "How Sharper Than a Serpent's Tooth"... it'd be cool to see Kukulkan come back and test humanity again to see how it's advanced since it met Kirk and Crew...

Preserves are way older than 300 million but they are still around (were around). It wouldn't be that far-fetched.
    i would love to see an Episode based on "How Sharper Than a Serpent's Tooth"... it'd be cool to see Kukulkan come back and test humanity again to see how it's advanced since it met Kirk and Crew...

Yeah, that would be pretty cool. They could also "merge multiple episodes together" from the TAS if they did it right, there are enough to make a episode referencing two or three episodes a mission.
    Support the movement!
    Come stand with us in supporting Star Trek: The Animated Series content for STO! (It's canon!) #TASforSTO

Time travel and glass-cannon ships hurt my head and is NOT what Trek is about. Trek is exploration, becoming better as a species, and gaining scientific knowledge while holding on to the traditions that got us where were are.

Oh, he gonna cry and say wtf and all.

Oh, sorry you said humanity, oh he gonna cry and say wtf.

He already dropped that reaction, so I would be scared to see it happen again.
    Support the movement!

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User

Preserves are way older than 300 million but they are still around (were around). It wouldn't be that far-fetched.

Yeah, that would be pretty cool. They could also "merge multiple episodes together" from the TAS if they did it right, there are enough to make a episode referencing two or three episodes a mission.
    I meant that I don't think the Sphere builders were active back when it was constructed. Unless they built it and sent it to the past...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • jarfarujarfaru Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    Why are people against this. The game is all over the place so why not this too.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,362 Arc User
    Like I said before, we have TAS content. Caitians, for instance, come from TAS, as do Ferasans (since Niven wouldn't sign over the rights to use kzinti, as they're also one of the major players in his Known Space stories). And those personal force fields we all enjoy so much on ground missions? Those originated as a force-field pressure suit from TAS.​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    jonsills wrote: »
    Like I said before, we have TAS content. Caitians, for instance, come from TAS, as do Ferasans (since Niven wouldn't sign over the rights to use kzinti, as they're also one of the major players in his Known Space stories).​​

Actually, there's no evidence Niven is against Kzinti in Trek and several to the opposite. Per memory alpha he did approve and support the proposal for a Kzinti cartoon called "lions of the night" that didn't get produced, and he did write a short story with Kzinti in the Star Trek universe in 1982.

Plus, he doesn't need to sign over the rights, just license them. If from time to time CBS isn't offering as much as he wants, that may be a different thing. Niven himself has shown willingness to allow Kzinti into Trek products multiple times over the years.

To add a few more to your list of things we have from TAS: Selat cub, and shi'kahr class ships.

Changing topic back to the main one: My list of what I would particularly like to see the antares-class freighter get added so not all cargo ships are tuffli's. Doesn't even have to be a player ship. Just have 'em around. And if Airex is too hard surely the devs can do the same thing the later series did: Edosian X (slug, orchid, etc), or an npc with limited movement. Can be in the game and in the universe even if not a PC.
    You know, I think I'd like to see kzinti in the game. It'd tick off the furries no end - kzin ears are described as being rather like furless parasols, that roll up in combat, and the kzin rib structure is a set of latticed bones rather than the cage we're more familiar with, giving them a rather barrel-chested appearance. They're also not much for climbing, given that they're evolved from the equivalent of plains cats - check Speaker-to-Animals' reaction to Louis Wu climbing up the collapsing airbags on his disabled flycycle after they were caught in the speed trap in Ringworld. And of course they'd be either a slave race of the Klingons or an unreliable member of the Federation, as their combat style is easily defeated by calmer minds. ("When issuing a challenge to a kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap." It's a big part of why they lost the four Man-Kzin Wars, and a number of minor skirmishes as well. Admittedly, they might have won the first war if the Outsiders hadn't stumbled across the human colony We Made It and sold the mayor a hyperdrive shunt on credit...)​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    Don't forget the difference between males and females.
    Once Kzin gained access to Jotoki genetic manipulation technology, they started manipulating themselves in order to bring out the most "heroic" qualities and recede undesired ones. To this end, because females are not valued except as bearers of children, the male-dominated Kzin society bred (most of) their own females into sub-sapience. Kzinti females (s. Kzinrett, pl. Kzinretti) have a vocabulary of less than a hundred word/sounds and primarily instinct-driven behavior, and are treated as chattel by males (s. Kzintosh, pl. Kzintoshi). Kzinti society explains this by stating the Fanged God removed Kzinrrets' souls as punishment for an attempted rebellion against him shortly after he created Kzin. However some tribes, long isolated from the Patriarchy, were spared the genetic modifications and still produce sentient females, as well as certain bloodlines.
    I'm guessing STO would emphasize that last sentence.

I would love if they made ferasan's and caitians able to get 8-foot tall in game though like the Kzin can. Have a little tiny alien captain flanked by massive gorn and ferasan boffs. ^.^
    Like I said before, we have TAS content. Caitians, for instance, come from TAS, as do Ferasans (since Niven wouldn't sign over the rights to use kzinti, as they're also one of the major players in his Known Space stories). And those personal force fields we all enjoy so much on ground missions? Those originated as a force-field pressure suit from TAS.​​

That is not TAS content, how can you literally say that a few shy references counts as solid content? The JJ movies which are new and arguably do less to the series of Star Trek have more content that something long established. I think Cryptic can make a little room for TAS content.
    Support the movement!

What do you mean? The so-called "JJ content" consists of the destruction of Romulus due to the Hobus supernova (and unlike the movie, STO tries to explain how that could happen), and two new lockbox ships that have just come out. How is that "less" than force fields and Caitians?​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    FOUR ships, weapons, both space and ground, uniforms, possible KT klingons looks for KDF characters and for the capper, a mission set in the kelvin timeline, with the possibility of more (since there were two missions mentioned in the patch notes that no one on tribble got to test)​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    What do you mean? The so-called "JJ content" consists of the destruction of Romulus due to the Hobus supernova (and unlike the movie, STO tries to explain how that could happen), and two new lockbox ships that have just come out. How is that "less" than force fields and Caitians?​​

So you are arguing a species and a rarely used concept in game are more content in regard to the TAS than in comparison to the Kelvin content?

*looks at the length of time TAS has been out*
    *looks at the length of time the Kelvin time line has been out*
    *looks at the amount of dedicated Kelvin content is in game (decent amount)*
    *looks at the amount of dedicated TAS content is in game (indecent amount)*

Not buying it. Why?

FOUR ships, weapons, both space and ground, uniforms, possible KT klingons looks for KDF characters and for the capper, a mission set in the kelvin timeline, with the possibility of more (since there were two missions mentioned in the patch notes that no one on tribble got to test)​​

He summed it up nicely.
    Support the movement!

• jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    Time Travel answer's all questions everywhere.​​

Until someone puts a shoe into the flux capacitor
    Time Travel answer's all questions everywhere.​​

Until someone puts a shoe into the flux capacitor

14 times out of 10 that usually does you in quite well.
    Support the movement!

• annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,596 Arc User
    The development team did state, way back in the first year of the game's existence that they couldn't properly create Tri-peds like Lt. Arex. Perhaps that's changed in the ensuing years, but the last "official" word I read from the company was they couldn't get it to work. Which sucks because Lt. Arex is pretty awesome and it'd be neat to see him in the game.

if you think about it Lt Arex is not that much different from the undine in game except the third arm
    artan42 wrote: »

It was explicitly spelt out in the final episode that Kirk's 'world of Starship captains doesn't admit women'. Luckily though, there's hardly anything left from TOS that hasn't later been retconned, but as AoY is focused on TOS, and not retcons of TOS, there should only be male captains. This is only going by the Devs 'logic' by the way. The same logic that excludes Caitians from TAS but allows Tellarites despite no Tellarite ever been seen in a Starfleet uniform in the history of Star Trek, including TOS.

Only times in the "TOS" (TOS pilot episode to Undiscovered Country) that a female took command of the ship was in the pilot of TOS when Pike gets abducted, and when all the men were incapacitated in the TAS and Uhura by line of succession took command.
    Going by screenshots from the Art subforum the D7 has been revamped and remastered. So I'm hoping that a joint Rom/Klingon C-Store D7 with statis weapon will be available...

...who am I kidding. There's zero chance Romulans and Klingons will ever get ships outside of a three-pack now.​​

It is a really good though, and possibly Cryptic might do that.

there was a woman in command of either yorktown or Saratoga in Voyage Home.
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine

Took command, not placed in command.
    Support the movement!

Rather than just say Yay/Nay to TAS content, what are the Actual Specific Things that would come out of this?

Episode referencing what great moments?
    New Species?
    New Uniforms?
    New Ships?
    New Consoles?
    New Ground Kits?
    New Weapons?
    New Traits?

What am I actually supposed to be backing if I were to throw money at this, Kickstarter style?

TAS music??
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine

you know this how? the probes killed power and never attacked the ships so no command crew would have been hurt or killed.
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine

you know this how? the probes killed power and never attacked the ships so no command crew would have been hurt or killed.

"The Man Trap" (TOS) and "The Lorelli Signal" (TAS) show a female TAKING command.

The movie shows a female IN command.​​
    Support the movement!

• artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    The development team did state, way back in the first year of the game's existence that they couldn't properly create Tri-peds like Lt. Arex. Perhaps that's changed in the ensuing years, but the last "official" word I read from the company was they couldn't get it to work. Which sucks because Lt. Arex is pretty awesome and it'd be neat to see him in the game.

if you think about it Lt Arex is not that much different from the undine in game except the third arm

It was explicitly spelt out in the final episode that Kirk's 'world of Starship captains doesn't admit women'. Luckily though, there's hardly anything left from TOS that hasn't later been retconned, but as AoY is focused on TOS, and not retcons of TOS, there should only be male captains. This is only going by the Devs 'logic' by the way. The same logic that excludes Caitians from TAS but allows Tellarites despite no Tellarite ever been seen in a Starfleet uniform in the history of Star Trek, including TOS.

Only times in the "TOS" (TOS pilot episode to Undiscovered Country) that a female took command of the ship was in the pilot of TOS when Pike gets abducted, and when all the men were incapacitated in the TAS and Uhura by line of succession took command.
    Going by screenshots from the Art subforum the D7 has been revamped and remastered. So I'm hoping that a joint Rom/Klingon C-Store D7 with statis weapon will be available...

...who am I kidding. There's zero chance Romulans and Klingons will ever get ships outside of a three-pack now.

It is a really good though, and possibly Cryptic might do that.

That's in the TOS films. After the Male only captains of TOS had been retconned like other bits of TOS silliness (warp 14, lithium, lasers, never having seen Romulans etc.).​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

That's in the TOS films. After the Male only captains of TOS had been retconned like other bits of TOS silliness (warp 14, lithium, lasers, never having seen Romulans etc.).

That is not TOS silliness, it is just in context of what was known. The Enterprise did go warp 14 and that was valid, and the fastest it went was warp 22 in TAS w/the Enterprise getting an additional structural refit between years 3 and 4.

It is not silliness, it is just stuff backed up with little explanation and/or thin backstory.​​
    Support the movement!

• artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter

That's in the TOS films. After the Male only captains of TOS had been retconned like other bits of TOS silliness (warp 14, lithium, lasers, never having seen Romulans etc.).

That is not TOS silliness, it is just in context of what was known. The Enterprise did go warp 14 and that was valid, and the fastest it went was warp 22 in TAS w/the Enterprise getting an additional structural refit between years 3 and 4.

It is not silliness, it is just stuff backed up with little explanation and/or thin backstory.

It's incredibly silly and was retconned within TOS or at a later date. Not just warp speeds obviously but most of TOS.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

It is not silliness, it is just stuff backed up with little explanation and/or thin backstory.

It's incredibly silly and was retconned within TOS or at a later date. Not just warp speeds obviously but most of TOS.

Still, they had to start somewhere. It was like making a wheel. First it was stone, then wood, then wood and steel, then steel, then rubber. You got to start somewhere when making something.

TAS was part of that somewhere.​​
    Support the movement!

This discussion has been closed.