test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official Feedback Thread for "Tangled Webs"

coldsnappedcoldsnapped Member Posts: 520 Cryptic Developer
Please use this thread to discuss feedback and issues found on the new episode "Tangled Webs".

New Episode: Tangled Webs

Comments

• sfc#5932 sfc Member Posts: 992 Bug Hunter
    Not finished yet, but the space battle during the "Of Spiders and Flies" portion is simply too difficult for a level 8 player to face alone. I had difficulty myself, dying once do to the sheer amount of abilities and the plasma weaponry utilized by the Na'kuhl. Consider toning this down.
  • phenomenaut01phenomenaut01 Member Posts: 714 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Still playing the mission.

Once I loaded in and joined the Defiant in battle, I noticed that the mission dialog pop ups (the ones that fly in on the left side of the screen) were going nuts. I couldn't possibly follow any of it while I'm in battle, so really what's the point of having it? It was nothing but a distraction, and an annoyance, because I enjoy reading those things, but can't during the heat of battle.

Also, I can't tell for sure because the background is sort of out of focus, but it appears that the crewmembers behind Captain Gil Morrison in the interaction window are wearing Klingon uniforms...or maybe they're something else, but they have black sleeves on them and the "gold shirt" colors seem wrong.

Minor issue to be sure. I'll report more if I find anything else.

EDIT:

Just got to the point where you have to suit up and board the Tholian ship. Bless you cryptic, I could kiss you right now!
  • phenomenaut01phenomenaut01 Member Posts: 714 Arc User
    Mission: Tangled Web
    Section: Caught in the Web
    Objective: Defeat Na'Kuhl Boarding parties (0/4)

BUG: Defeated 3/4 Na'Kuhl boarding party spawn groups, the 4th does not spawn. Mission progress halted.

- Beamed out to ship, and then back - restarting that portion of the mission.

Second attempt:
    - A 4th group spawwned in the second room of the Tholian ship, ran back to defeat them. Did not count towards mission progress.
    - Stuck at "Defeat Na'Kuhl Boarding Party (3/4)

Progression halted. Mission cannot be completed.
  • jonathanlonehawkjonathanlonehawk Member Posts: 674 Arc User

BUG: Defeated 3/4 Na'Kuhl boarding party spawn groups, the 4th does not spawn. Mission progress halted.

Second attempt:
    - A 4th group spawwned in the second room of the Tholian ship, ran back to defeat them. Did not count towards mission progress.

I was just about to post this, so I'll just say Ditto.
    Formerly Known as Protector from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    STOSIG.png
    Please enable us to buy a token with Zen to faction change a 25th Century FED to a TOS FED.
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    My official feedback for the official thread is trying to sell tickets to test is probably costing you some good feedback :smirk:.
  • doublechadoublecha Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    I can't understand as a ship of the 23rd century can overcome ships from the future (with a much more advanced technology).
    Na'Kuhl should make a killing.
    Qapla'
  • mmps1mmps1 Member Posts: 381 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    23rd c ev suit visuals are bugged with female tos medical outfit top. Shows helmet and trousers but the tos too and arms are visible.

The tarantula crashing into the na'kuhl dread animation is severely busted. Two ships just appear mereged then some lighting and a TRIBBLE (lol f.a.r.t is banned?) cloud animation. Sound on it seems mental too before cutting back.
    Post edited by mmps1 on
    "Mr talks down to the peasants."
  • varzecvarzec Member Posts: 129 Media Corps
    Space fight little too difficult. Less ships might be the answer or slow the rate they use their distortions.

In another note has it been explained why our ships don't get pummeled by the Nakuul? Their weapons should rip us to shreds.
    original.jpg?1521423860
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    mmps1 wrote: »
    23rd c ev suit visuals are bugged with female tos medical outfit top. Shows helmet and trousers but the tos too and arms are visible.

Came here to post this very thing, here's a screenshot:

screenshot_2016-05-25-21-03-59_zpsxmy20eiy.jpg
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • crypticrockcrypticrock Member Posts: 120 Cryptic Developer
    varzec wrote: »
    Space fight little too difficult. Less ships might be the answer or slow the rate they use their distortions.

In another note has it been explained why our ships don't get pummeled by the Nakuul? Their weapons should rip us to shreds.

We've politely asked them to not make use of some of their more impactful abilities this early in the game. It didn't make it into this build, unfortunately.
  • talonkuro1talonkuro1 Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    Wa

We've politely asked them to not make use of some of their more impactful abilities this early in the game. It didn't make it into this build, unfortunately.

Was about to comment on that. But if you are going to adjust it, then that's good. And maybe a few less mobs in the old fashioned Klingon beatdown before the final pummeling. Also, any chance the new TOS ships will pop up for us to play with?

• psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,644 Arc User
    I found this the most interesting of the new missions. I agree that the fly-in messages can easily get lost in the space fight. Assuming the Nakuhl are toned down, that might not be a problem. I had no problems with the boarding party exchange. And that boarding party mission was a unique experience that I enjoyed.

When you get the final cut scene de-bugged, I suspect the mission payoff will have significant story impact.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    talonkuro1 wrote: »
    Also, any chance the new TOS ships will pop up for us to play with?

If you got the money, they will give you what you seek:

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9950863-star-trek-online:-agents-of-yesterday-packs
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • badgerpants999badgerpants999 Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Not finished yet, but the space battle during the "Of Spiders and Flies" portion is simply too difficult for a level 8 player to face alone. I had difficulty myself, dying once do to the sheer amount of abilities and the plasma weaponry utilized by the Na'kuhl. Consider toning this down.

I'd like to mention this as well. With tier 2 purple equipment ALL over my ship (with AP beambanks), I was getting my TRIBBLE handed to me. was down to bout %10 hull capacity when I won the first space fight. Got killed in the second space fight, just once, but still frustrating. I'd hate to see what happened to the people who used the stock equipment in this fight! I was using the default Boff abilities, that may have contributed to the difficulty as I prefer emergency power to shields 1 and hazard emitters 1 as tier 1 Boff abilities. I find it gives greater survivability.
  • ultimatenewbieultimatenewbie Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    The mission is mostly great.

I would strongly suggest, though, to make the Na'Kuhl fewer and stronger. These are ships from the future, with superior technology. We can only defeat them because they are careless in their belief of their own superiority. Which gets a bit hard to believe after you destroy their fifth or so ship...

Also, the ground Nakuhl should have personal shields.

I agree with the above. I didnt notice failures on the space uniforms, but I'll re-run the mission and find out. Of course, the cut-scenes need work but I'm sure they'll get polished up before it goes to Holodeck.

The key thing: Combat with the Nakuhl fleet is too tough - I'm an experienced player and even I exploded once (got pinned by a couple of frigates with the cone of death came in - whoops!). I think they key here is having enough time for your shields to regenerate - the last wave came in immediately following the battle with the third wave, and so I started battle with all of my shield facings drained and not enough shield batteries to keep up (I was deliberately only using all the default stuff) - this is particularly the case if the new player either didnt pick skills or picked skills that didnt benefit shields (or hull). In short, an instant shield refill would be helpful between waves (though I understand an instant hull heal would probably make it too easy).

I too call for fewer Nakuhl ships, but each one should be a challenge to defeat - ie, your ship should be able to just beat a Nakuhl Frigate with the assistance of some 'insights' (hand-wavium) provided by Daniels.

As an aside, it is interesting that before this mission, you had to travel across almost the entire federation map in order to begin, and the next mission (Caleb IV) you have to travel all the way back. Perhaps the location of this mission could be moved to somewhere a bit more central?

Post edited by ultimatenewbie on
  • theyredeadjimtheyredeadjim Member Posts: 243 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    much fewer and a little stronger :)

**Edit**
    1. I liked the old EV suit thing (seemed like the old show)
    2. Was the Tholian ship a dressed reworking of the (old) modern one? No problems..it worked.
    3. That final battle was way out of control. I'm one of those folks that loves the original series. I asked for the Star Trek Technical Manual for my birthday, back when I was a kid and it had just been released. Whether for good or ill, I am slightly older than TOS, and my frame of reference for that show is based upon that fact. I know it's a game, but that concept was truly breaking for me.
    Post edited by theyredeadjim on
  • talonkuro1talonkuro1 Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    talonkuro1 wrote: »
    Also, any chance the new TOS ships will pop up for us to play with?

If you got the money, they will give you what you seek:

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9950863-star-trek-online:-agents-of-yesterday-packs

Spent that and waiting for release to get them, was hoping for a test server preview though.
    Once upon a time you'd see new ships on Tribble. These days you won't see the new ships until the expansion goes live. Unless it's in a mission and they're flying along side of you. You won't get a chance to try them out on Tribble before it goes live though.
  • rickpaaarickpaaa Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    These 2 missions space battles are too difficult for what we are given. Having the engineering BO with Emergency Power To Shields I would give us a chance to avoid multiple blow ups.
    giphy.gif
    Member since December 2009

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    If you're LTS you can go to 2270 ESD and turn an Eng Android into a manual for EptS.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    I think for the starter ship and quite possibly a starter Captain the space fights are a bit too tough. The waves of enemies work at higher levels because you can basically completely restore your ship to full health during combat, but at this level, you won't be able to recuperate really.

Also, it gets a bit boring, since you don't have all that many things you can do in such a fight.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • rabin26rabin26 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2016

Second attempt:

I also experienced this bug. I beamed out and back into the mission again.

My BOffs got stuck at the door, so I was still at the room when another group of Na'Kuhl beamed in. I killed them before moving onto the final room.

In the final room, I killed all the Na'Kuhl and the mission progressed through "Defeat Na'Kuhl Boarding Party (4/4)". Was then able to complete the mission.

ETA: On a replay I killed the Na'Kuhl in the corridor, and then went back to the second room to wait for the next spawn. It didn't appear for several minutes, until I went down the ramp, which seemed to trigger the spawn to beam in. As before I killed the spawn in the second room and progressed through the mission.

I do also agree the final space combat was little more difficult for a lower-level captain than expected.
  • jtoon74jtoon74 Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    I took a one unnamed redshirt in the ground sectionmission and she was wearing the basic 25th century environmental suit

During the final space battle I kept getting a pop up message telling me there was no contacts on sensor and should we warp out, I could dismiss the message thats all.

During the same battle sound effects kept cutting out.

Write at the end of the missions the cinematic didn't play, I could complete the mission though.
    No contacts on sensors is the message you get when you're at the edge of a map, fly too far in one direction on any map and you'll see that pop up. How long were you fighting if you reached the edge of the map?
  • jtoon74jtoon74 Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    No contacts on sensors is the message you get when you're at the edge of a map, fly too far in one direction on any map and you'll see that pop up. How long were you fighting if you reached the edge of the map?

Well thats it, I was skirmishing near the Tholian mothership and the U.S.S. Defiant, I really didn't wander that far.

From a general storyline perspective, ironically the Na'khul seem to have brought about their own destruction. Cool.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    some maps are weird and have things that LOOK like they're inside the map but really aren't.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Had the 'defeat na'kuhl party ' get stuck after 'continue to search flagship'. Beaming in and out and redoing it worked.

(Also, on the self-destruct. My captain's showing a remarkable ability for repairing almost completely unknown Tholian tech)

The 'ramming' custscene did not have the ships moving, just overlapping, though the collision fx played.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
    Did this a second time with baseline weapons (I wanted that TOS feel) but mk2 equipment, I had resilient shields instead of covariant this time, I also had emergency power to shields 1 and hazard emitters 1 as Boff abilities. The space fight was MUCH easier this time around. I know you have plans to ease back on the difficulty, but, I really needs to happen soon!

As for the rewards, you seem to be basing them on the rewards offered by normal play,but as we get to Lt Commander in half the normal number of missions, we need twice the normal loot rewards. By the time this battle rolls around we should have at least improved weaponry, probably improved equipment as well, Remember, this is the equivalent of mission 8 or 9 for a normal character. we would have gotten 8 or 9 missions worth of rewards by now so we should have our little Pioneer class decked out and tarted up to the nines!
  • yuzralyuzral Member Posts: 160 Media Corps
    Couple of thoughts from an initial playthrough:

1) Cutscene between the Dreadnought and the Tarantula is very obviously incomplete - the two ships are...erm...'mashed' is probably the best word for it. No epic ramming action to be had.

2) Difficulty in the 'Of spiders and flies' battle' is a bit excessive, mostly down to the Daemosh's cone attack. Perhaps slow that down a bit so that evasive manoeuvres is off cooldown whenever it comes around?

3) 25th century Tholian ships...are we going to see these replaced with 23rd century designs?
    Blatant self-promotion: Producer of the Delta Rising Tribble Timewarp, Foundry Frolics and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/Yuzral