test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why would the Na'Khul name their flagship Destiny

The Na'Khul, as per Stormfront, believe it is their right to shape and control time. If you believed you had the ability and the right to influence the course of history, why would you name your ship destiny? Before you say it is "control your own destiny" - that phrase counters the word. The ship is just called destiny. Could have named it anything but Vosk picked that?

Just for reference, dictionary def;
"the events that will necessarily happen to a particular person or thing in the future."
"the hidden power believed to control future events; fate."

It would be like the American flagship being called the USS Monarch. I think Vosk has a hidden sense of irony. His shuttles are called the "VS Predetermined" and "VS Bullet With My Name On It".

Comments

• saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    Most likely comes from the "Destiny!" line of Vosk in ENT: Storm Front before he enters the conduit and the dev writers decided to roll with it with him obsessed with the word.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User

This is the reason. They're attempting to create a new destiny by altering the past.
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    After he completed building it but before it was named, Vosk had Darth Vader look at the ship and Darth said 'It is your Destiny'.

Oops, sorry wrong franchise. ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • tmassxtmassx Member Posts: 826 Arc User
    Because Vosk likes StarGate Universe?
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    I'm going to guess they named it that because they were foretelling the REFIT! Say it's name, say it's name say it's name!

;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jasecurtisjasecurtis Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    tmassx wrote: »
    Because Vosk likes StarGate Universe?

Always said Vosk was misunderstood.
    qGPf6Iq.jpg?1
  • adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    I thought it was obvious myself... He clearly believes it's the destiny of the Na'khul to reshape the universe to their liking and that was supposed to be the ship to do it... What else would you name the ship?
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • nickodaemusnickodaemus Member Posts: 711 Arc User
    Because "Fate" is the thing which implies you accept your lot in the universe. "Destiny" is what you shape to achieve a desired outcome. And also because "Boaty McBoatface" was already taken by Earthlings in the 21st Century.
  • jade1280jade1280 Member Posts: 868 Arc User
    "The Na'khul are not without a sense of irony."
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    After he completed building it but before it was named, Vosk had Darth Vader look at the ship and Darth said 'It is your Destiny'.

Oops, sorry wrong franchise. ;)
    Alternatively, he enjoyed the remake of Wicker Man,
    "-But we are always prepared with a powerful sacrifice. And that, my friend, is your destiny.
    -It is your destiny."
    but he thought naming his ship "Bees" or "Howditgetburned" was too obvious?

#TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Because "Wibbly-Wobbly Timey-Wimey Stuff" is over the stupid 16-character name limit?
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,100 Arc User
    Maybe the secret plot twist is ... the Na'khul ... REALLY like that ship. Maybe a little too much ...

Like @artan42 and the Typhoon Class.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    Because "Wibbly-Wobbly Timey-Wimey Stuff" is over the stupid 16-character name limit?

You win the thread.
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    thay8472 wrote: »
    Maybe the secret plot twist is ... the Na'khul ... REALLY like that ship. Maybe a little too much ...

Like @artan42 and the Typhoon Class.

I don't love the Typhoon...

...I just say that to get her into bed.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Well, it could simply be ironic, but it might actually be that they feel that their "true" destiny was stolen from them by the destruction of their sun due to meddling time travelers, and that is what gives them the right to try to change the timeline.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    The Na'Khul, as per Stormfront, believe it is their right to shape and control time. If you believed you had the ability and the right to influence the course of history, why would you name your ship destiny? Before you say it is "control your own destiny" - that phrase counters the word. The ship is just called destiny. Could have named it anything but Vosk picked that?

Just for reference, dictionary def;
    "the events that will necessarily happen to a particular person or thing in the future."

It would be like the American flagship being called the USS Monarch. I think Vosk has a hidden sense of irony. His shuttles are called the "VS Predetermined" and "VS Bullet With My Name On It".

Because the writers gave up on having a storyline that made a lick of sense when they decided to ape ENT.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    Destiny implies a positive outcome - it's job is to go out and make it over the current Na'kuhl fate.

I can't believe Vosk is actually capable of that level of irony. He's pretty straight forward.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    That's the captain's girlfriend's name...Destiny Star. She's an Orion dancer on Nimbus III.
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    Because "Fate" is the thing which implies you accept your lot in the universe. "Destiny" is what you shape to achieve a desired outcome. And also because "Boaty McBoatface" was already taken by Earthlings in the 21st Century.

*dies laughing*
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)