test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Absolutely the most Ferengi thing in the game, ever...

staq16staq16 Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User
Thought this might amuse / interest people...

I've recently started a Ferengi alt, as a bit of fun (because it's hard to get further from Trek's ideals than the Ferengi, created as they were during Gene Rodenberry's most militant stage). To get through the early missions, I splurged and bought a couple of D'Kora holoemitters, so I could at least pretend he had a Ferengi vessel. I'm weird like that, OK?

Here's where it gets fun. Holoemitters, it seems, remain tradeable, even if they've been used. So I have been able to list a Holoemitter with 4 seconds of runtime left, and it shows the same as a normal one on the exchange. I tried selling it to another alt, then passing it back, and the runtime remains 4s.

So in theory, I could sell a 4s-left holoemitter for the same price as a fully-charged one; or even as a 50% off special. Once only!

It doesn't get any more Ferengi than that. "Once you have their money, you never give it back".

(NOTE: I assume this would work for any character or holoemitter. It's just exceptionally appropriate for a Ferengi :) )

Comments

• samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    Yes I've noticed that.
  • hunteralpha84hunteralpha84 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    Holy TRIBBLE! People use/buy holo emitters?
  • imperatorpaveliimperatorpaveli Member Posts: 346 Arc User
    It used to be holoemitters would go back to full charge when put on the exchange, I don't understand why that was removed as it's not like GPL's very useful anyway.
  • shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    I used to know a guy (playing a Ferengi character) who did exactly that, put almost-expired holo-emitters up for sale on the Exchange. Haven't seen him around in a while, though, so maybe he sold one to the wrong customer!

Caveat emptor applies very strongly to holo-emitters. (I bought one, once, fresh from the latinum store, which I figure is the only safe way to do it... not that there's much else you can do with latinum anyway.)
    8b6YIel.png?1
  • elothoxelothox Member Posts: 170 Arc User

This.
  • gb3gb3 Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    lol I will now do this to make EC that sounds hilarious!
  • staq16staq16 Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User

First time I've done it. The basic plan was run him to level 11, then DOff through to when I can use the Nandi; hence spending a grand total of 1M EC to have the illusion of a T1 Ferengi D'kora, for a bit of fun. The frightening thing is, with 2 hours of holoemitter time I finished that levelling with 20 minutes to spare. Buying Z-store T1 ships really is the most horrific waste of Zen.
  • nebfabnebfab Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    staq16 wrote: »
    Buying Z-store T1 ships really is the most horrific waste of Zen.

Well, people usually buy them for the battery console or self-upgrading blue phasers... Not that they're all THAT good use for zen, but they're at least useful beyond level 10.
  • cuchulainn74cuchulainn74 Member Posts: 831 Arc User
    That definitely ranks up there with listing the "Isolinear Chip" from "An Inside Job" (I think that's the one) on the exchange just below the price of an actual crafting Iso Chip. I can shamefully admit to having once accidentally bought one of those bait-and-switch beauties. I was in a hurry to craft something, can't even remember what it was anymore.
    Fleet Admiral CuChulainn - U.S.S. Aegis KT Intel Dreadnought Cruiser
    vGdvFsX.jpg

• lopequillopequil Member Posts: 1,226 Arc User
    Pfft. My lobes are still tingling from buying 50 Kazon Raiders at 250k and selling at 7mil. Rule #239 is nice, but #9 has served me much, much better.
    Q9BWcdD.png
  • jade1280jade1280 Member Posts: 868 Arc User
    That is why i buy my own high quality genuine inimitation holo emitters at my local ferengi GPL trade station to avoid the "shady" elements of the open market.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    staq16 wrote: »
    So in theory, I could sell a 4s-left holoemitter for the same price as a fully-charged one; or even as a 50% off special. Once only!

It doesn't get any more Ferengi than that. "Once you have their money, you never give it back".
    Actually, it does. The person you sold it to could put up their holoemitter with 3 seconds left on the clock for a higher price (and so on until down to the last 1 second.) :p
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • spiritwalker1969spiritwalker1969 Member Posts: 406 Arc User
    Slightly off-topic but has anyone considered that the Ferengi must be pulling a scam on every Fleet in the game? What other rational explanation is there for donating dilithium to a dilithium mine?
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User
    Beat me to it. :)

f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User
    jade1280 wrote: »
    That is why i buy my own high quality genuine inimitation holo emitters at my local ferengi GPL trade station to avoid the "shady" elements of the open market.

So to avoid shady deals, you buy from a Ferengi? :: scratches head in confusion ::

f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • conkav22conkav22 Member Posts: 8,146 Arc User
    This reminds me i need to get working on my Ferengi alt. I just finished my Cardassian