test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Da big *NEW TREK TV SHOW* thread!

Comments

• nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    I'm all for saying DSC is in an alternate reality... so as to drive home the fact the closed-for-business-verse is in fact Closed For Business.

Seriously, the ending of Voyager put a (!$%^ing stake in its heart. No creative wants to go anywhere near that radioactive crater.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    nikeix wrote: »
    I'm all for saying DSC is in an alternate reality... so as to drive home the fact the closed-for-business-verse is in fact Closed For Business.

Seriously, the ending of Voyager put a (!$%^ing stake in its heart. No creative wants to go anywhere near that radioactive crater.

You don't need to go near that crater to stay in the Prime Verse.

Advance the timeline a few decades or a century, and everything that happened in VOY is irrelevant, aside from the most abstract concepts.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    The abstract concept of 'we have at-whim precision time travel' pretty much implodes all narrative tension forever.

There's a reason they keep backing up to when they hadn't run the ship up on to the rocks :).
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    farmallm wrote: »
    jonsills wrote: »
    I still say the Discovery looks like a brute-force first pass at the Constitution - achieving higher sustained warp speeds, for instance, not by more-advanced engine designs but by basically duct-taping three nacelles into a single housing and throwing power to them.​​

The nacelles of the "Proto-Discovery". I don't have much an issue with. As long there is no "afterburners" effect on them. And it needs a proper deflector. And proper weapon types. Other stuff used on the show, should reflect a good bit of "The Cage". Uniforms, ground gear, some of the ship interior themes, etc.

All that will probably be present in some fashion, BUT...

We will also be seeing aspects of the Kelvin Timeline in the show as well.

How do I know that?

Because Mr. Bryan Fuller the Executive Producer of the show has said so.
    He has also said emphatically, that Star Trek: Discovery IS SET IN THE PRIME UNIVERSE.

So, it's time to either "Let It Go" or "Move It On Up", because come next January, you're going to be hanging even farther out on that really thin branch that you are clinging to all by yourself.
    B)
    Post edited by daveyny on
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • ramin1990ramin1990 Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited August 2016
    I acquired Lootcrate recently & got free promo code for "Starfleet Admiral's Comission Pack".
    Since I do not play the game anyway, here it is for anyone who's fast enough to grab it:
    "8NorwPi3" (REDEEMED)
    p.s. comment after redeeming:)
    Post edited by ramin1990 on
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    ramin1990 wrote: »
    I acquired Lootcrate recently & got free promo code for "Starfleet Admiral's Comission Pack".
    Since I do not play the game anyway, here it is for anyone who's fast enough to grab it:
    "8NorwPi3"
    p.s. comment after redeeming:)

Well that was unexpected OPKfOKi.png.

Turns out stalking the forums a hundred times a day on my day off pays off.

@ramin1990 you are an excellent human being.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • ramin1990ramin1990 Member Posts: 2 New User
    > @artan42 said:
    > ramin1990 wrote: »
    >
    > I acquired Lootcrate recently & got free promo code for "Starfleet Admiral's Comission Pack".
    > Since I do not play the game anyway, here it is for anyone who's fast enough to grab it:
    > "8NorwPi3"
    > p.s. comment after redeeming:)
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Well that was unexpected .
    >
    > Turns out stalking the forums a hundred times a day on my day off pays off.
    >
    > @ramin1990 you are an excellent human being.​​

You are welcome:)
    See you guys in other games.
    Silmaril#2360
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Gratulations @artan42 what a lucky find pig-1.gif That's a RMC for you pig-2.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Gratulations @artan42 what a lucky find pig-1.gif That's a RMC for you pig-2.gif

Sure, sure, RMC meh.

More importantly

28389168993_ef116634d5_o.png

Wooo!

Today was a good day :)​​
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    To be perfectly candid, I don't see the diffrence aside from the little goose bumps pig-2.gif But I'll still rejoice on your behalf pig-1.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    The abstract concept of 'we have at-whim precision time travel' pretty much implodes all narrative tension forever.
    TOS, "Assignment: Earth". The Enterprise was sent back through time with "at-whim precision" in order to observe the attempted launch of a nuclear-weapons orbital platform and determine why it failed. (And then it turned out to be a predestination paradox...)

Oddly, that didn't seem to "implode all narrative tension forever."​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    then there's the Guardian. It lets you watch the past as it happened before going back to change it...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    Wondering...

Could the number of the USS Discovery NCC-1031, be an indicator that it could secretly be a Section-31 ship?

Fuller did mention that shady group in one of his interviews.
    B)
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    daveyny wrote: »
    Wondering...

Could the number of the USS Discovery NCC-1031, be an indicator that it could secretly be a Section-31 ship?

Fuller did mention that shady group in one of his interviews.
    B)
    Personally, I think it's more likely a nice easter-egg reference to OV-103, the space shuttle Discovery.​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    All that will probably be present in some fashion, BUT...

We will also be seeing aspects of the Kelvin Timeline in the show as well.

How do I know that?

Because Mr. Bryan Fuller the Executive Producer of the show has said so.
    He has also said emphatically, that Star Trek: Discovery IS SET IN THE PRIME UNIVERSE.

So, it's time to either "Let It Go" or "Move It On Up", because come next January, you're going to be hanging even farther out on that really thin branch that you are clinging to all by yourself.
    B)

Nope not on that kind of limb at all. No Kelvin in the show. And the Tech will be similar to used by the Enterprise series.

http://screenrant.com/star-trek-discovery-everything-we-know/

More like you will be Let Go or Move It On Up. Meanwhile, they will double dip into your wallet and you will still get to see commercials.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
    edited August 2016
    You keep repeating the same thing over and over...

It really doesn't further your cause, nor does it make you right.

Also, you ignore everything else I said, but cling to the look of the thirty some-odd seconds of SPFx as your comeback...
    (as well as your apparent mantra of the $6 fee)

Go ahead and keep swimming up that river, you're just drowning in your on foolishness.
    smh
    Sure. The series set after the Kelvin's era in the Cage era will use ENT tech and not Kelvin or Cage tech. You keep banging that lonesome drum mate.

#TASforSTO

TOS, "Assignment: Earth". The Enterprise was sent back through time with "at-whim precision" in order to observe the attempted launch of a nuclear-weapons orbital platform and determine why it failed. (And then it turned out to be a predestination paradox...)

Oddly, that didn't seem to "implode all narrative tension forever."​​

And if something pervasively bad had happened, you'd just go further back and fix it.

There are no unhappy endings save those the lords of time (and shoddy writing) allow.

Boring. As. ****.

Oddly, that didn't seem to "implode all narrative tension forever."

And if something pervasively bad had happened, you'd just go further back and fix it.

There are no unhappy endings save those the lords of time (and shoddy writing) allow.

Boring. As. ****.
    Which is why DS9 introduced the Department of Temporal Investigation. DTI's job is to make sure you're not going to Butterfly Effect the universe into oblivion by time-traveling at whim. (I presume they have some sort of deal with 29th-century Timefleet for enforcement operations, as they're presented as being able to do more than just frown sternly at those who violate their directives.)

Janeway's little (massive) violation gets a pass for some reason, presumably because Timefleet investigated alternate timelines and found out that if stymied, Mad Kathy screwed things up even worse.​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited August 2016
    Interesting speculation in this article...

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/star-trek-discovery-cast-captain-garth-izar-maniacal-white-dude-fits-facts-nicely-551002

I wonder, since Fuller has eliminated the actual "Battle of Axanar" time period rumor, perhaps we might see Captain Garth in the show in some manner anyway...?
    (as the article suggests, in his later years)

B)
    I would expect the Battle of Axanar and ever character or event even remotely associated with it to be viewed as a glowing radioactive crater by CBS, the former site of the fan film debacle that they will not speak of for another 7-8 years. Sure as hell not going to put a big neon sign pointing at it with their new show.

And it's getting kind of pathetic that in all of Trekdom nobody seems to think there's anything else Fuller could be referring to. Serious tunnel-vision. He must be just shaking his head.
  • marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/star-trek-discovery-cast-captain-garth-izar-maniacal-white-dude-fits-facts-nicely-551002

I wonder, since Fuller has eliminated the actual "Battle of Axanar" time period rumor, perhaps we might see Captain Garth in the show in some manner anyway...?

B)
    I'd say 'idle' rather than 'interesting'... The assumption that because this Lt.Commander is not a Captain, they aren't also going to be the commander of the vessel... The very nature of Trek involves anensemble cast for the various roles. It simply won't work to say that one character is the most important, but everyone else around them is not. It would be like saying TNG was a story about Data, and everyone else 'just happened to be there', or that DS-9 was all about Nog growing up (with everyone else along for the ride...) No, my money is on this Lt.Commander being in the center seat giving the orders.

As for the Garth of Izar speculation, if that does turn out to be true, I see Alec Peters stamping his feet and being very cross :D
    As for the Garth of Izar speculation, if that does turn out to be true, I see Alec Peters stamping his feet and being very cross :D
    Well, he's been doing that already, so... :wink:

BTW, it occurred to me while logging in earlier - the secondary hull isn't quite so flat, the saucer is bigger, and the wing-pylons extend forward (a bit) rather than backward, but there's a T6 Exploration Cruiser that looks an awful lot like the Discovery there. Just sayin'.​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited August 2016
    Well, he's been doing that already, so... :wink:

BTW, it occurred to me while logging in earlier - the secondary hull isn't quite so flat, the saucer is bigger, and the wing-pylons extend forward (a bit) rather than backward, but there's a T6 Exploration Cruiser that looks an awful lot like the Discovery there. Just sayin'.​​
    Oh I'd expect his hissy-fit to escalate to full on meltdown/tantrum... :wink:

Yeah, there's definitely a few 'extra angles' on the Discovery than McQuarrie's concept...

I'm still of the opinion that the open-saucer of the Vengeance was based on this STO concept art by John Eaves...

d88fe9c101e6a4b6fc0ed2d2a852585b_zpsivzqae7h.jpg

Given that there was even promotional images of something similar:

e2b451917ec697c4bfce445b4d9ec36f_zpsqm6m5mrh.jpg

I'm surprized that hasn't made a debut yet either (well, other than in my writing... ;) )

B)
    I'd say 'idle' rather than 'interesting'... The assumption that because this Lt.Commander is not a Captain, they aren't also going to be the commander of the vessel... The very nature of Trek involves anensemble cast for the various roles. It simply won't work to say that one character is the most important, but everyone else around them is not. It would be like saying TNG was a story about Data, and everyone else 'just happened to be there', or that DS-9 was all about Nog growing up (with everyone else along for the ride...) No, my money is on this Lt.Commander being in the center seat giving the orders.

At first I kinda wondered about that myself, would something happen and the main character is forced to take command...

But after going back over Fuller's comments a couple of more times, it seems more likely that he really is planning on doing a kind of "Lower Decks" type of show, with the main character not really hanging out on the bridge all the time.

IMO, having Garth as the Captain of the ship, would be a lovely way for CBS to stick it to Mr. Peters though.

Essentially taking all the hype and using it to their advantage.
    B)
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    This could be great, but I have a feeling this is going to be trainwreck, that will make the worst of Voyager, Enterprise, Nemisis look like good times.

But I could be wrong and I might love it. Just from everything so far, it seems like they made a huge mistake putting it in Fullers hands.

But I could be wrong.
    edited August 2016
    Apparently, you haven't seen any of the other multiple shows he's done recently, nor know how well received most of them have been.
    He's no slouch at creating popular TV shows and the talent he has hired so far to help him, have quite impressive backgrounds in both the Movie and Television industry.
    B)

B)

At first I kinda wondered about that myself, would something happen and the main character is forced to take command...

But after going back over Fuller's comments a couple of more times, it seems more likely that he really is planning on doing a kind of "Lower Decks" type of show, with the main character not really hanging out on the bridge all the time.

IMO, having Garth as the Captain of the ship, would be a lovely way for CBS to stick it to Mr. Peters though.

Essentially taking all the hype and using it to their advantage.
    B)
    It'll be interesting ro see where they go with it. I have to admit, I'm not sure how well a Lower Decks show would work out, as if the character being followed isn't really 'in the loop' as to what's going on, it would mostly just be a case of reacting to whatever's happening, and I think the idea of them being brought up to speed (or not) would get a bit formulaic, but it'll be interesting to see B)

And yeah, if really would be. As mentioned, I think he'd be quite cross :D
    edited August 2016
    More interesting speculation...

http://www.blastr.com/2016-8-19/star-trek-discovery-have-we-already-met-main-character

I doubt this will happen, but interesting none-the-less.

B)
  • megawolf0megawolf0 Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    This talk about it being a Lower Decks like show reminds me it might be like that one TNG episode with those crew members. Forgotten which one. Think was itself called Lower Decks.
This discussion has been closed.