Install Arc
Options

Da big *NEW TREK TV SHOW* thread!

Comments

• Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    azrael605 wrote: »
    They are not double dipping, the show is streaming here in the US, not broadcast, it will be on Netflix overseas and there is no danger of it bombing since it has already made a profit. I get you don't like it but I don't really care, I am very pleased it is not broadcast since A I do not have cable just internet & B due to geography where I live it is impossible for me to get broadcast TV also C not being on broadcast it will have Less commercial time in each episode than shows on broadcast (which has also been announced already) so more time on the show and there will likely be a commercial free option for CBS All Access very soon (never will be on broadcast). Hell with cable hell with broadcast, I'm never going back.

Still double dipping. I can watch the CW's shows like Arrow, Flash etc. On the CW website with no cost. I do this at times when my DVR messed up on recording or something causes it to miss the show. They can allow streaming on their site IF they wanted to for no cost. The CW does it.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    When they offer a commerial free subscription option, perhaps they'll offer the commercial infested version for free, I don't know.

Or if they offer a free month, watch till the season is over and get the free month and binge watch all the episodes for free.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    farmallm wrote: »
    nikeix wrote: »
    They will have to really work over the ship.

Why? You've gone to great lengths to establish you will never pay a cent for it, so why should they concern themselves with making you happy aesthetically?

This is really the essence of what that particular class of hard-core purist is failing to grasp: you've actually complained your way right out of relevance.

I'm starting to look forward to them occasionally trampling the holy canon-as-it-exists-now. Because after being told relentlessly 'if its on the screen its canon', well the suck it up, because here comes a whole new chapter that'll need to be integrated as a primary and incontrovertible source. And hopefully we'll get MANY such chapters.

Not out of relevance, just want to make sure it actually fits. You can't throw in stuff on the ship that never was there to start with during that time.

They need a dish deflector not the lighted one for example. Weapons needs to be similar. Stuff like that. That way it will appear to fit in. Not so easily picked off like they did for JJ Trek. Where they "claim" to be Prime Universe stuff, but they was no where near what the Prime Universe uses.

Bottom line if you can't make the Tech and stuff to fit in, then you did a horrible job. So far the ship they showed does not fit in with the era they trying to show. With some features. That needs to be addressed to make it correct.

"During that time"...
    all we saw of Star Fleet was the Enterprise and a few of her sister ships, so saying that they can't put stuff in because we never saw it is ridicules.

We have no idea if other ships during that time had dish deflector's or not.
    You can't deny something doesn't exist just because you never saw it.

The lighted deflector could have been something that was in development and hadn't been expanded to be used on other ships till Enterprise was brought back to be refitted for TMP.

Hell, we saw in the NX that there was lighting behind it's deflector dish, that may have been the start of the design to go from a "dish" to a internal device.

And everything that the USS Kelvin had can ostensibly be used on the USS Discovery, because both universes are said to be pretty much the same up to Nero making a nuisance of himself.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    lordgyor wrote: »
    "Sexual exploitation"

Stop slutshaming people. Anyone can havevhigh libdos, not just teenagers. Stop being a prude.

I hope there is plenty of sex and nudity in it!!! Doubtful, but it would be fun.

Anyways, I'm racking my brain trying to think what the major event is.

Depends on the mind set, probably. I have not seen a single piece of non-erotica work in which the explicit depiction of sex would have been in any way necessary or beneficial. If one has to fill some time with it it just shows they like to cash in on easy sexploitation and lack meaningful contribution to the play. You can include sexuality in good style and you can do so in bad. If you have characters at any point rubbing against each other, panting and tearing their clothes off you have the textbook example of the latter.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    daveyny wrote: »

Why? You've gone to great lengths to establish you will never pay a cent for it, so why should they concern themselves with making you happy aesthetically?

This is really the essence of what that particular class of hard-core purist is failing to grasp: you've actually complained your way right out of relevance.

I'm starting to look forward to them occasionally trampling the holy canon-as-it-exists-now. Because after being told relentlessly 'if its on the screen its canon', well the suck it up, because here comes a whole new chapter that'll need to be integrated as a primary and incontrovertible source. And hopefully we'll get MANY such chapters.

Not out of relevance, just want to make sure it actually fits. You can't throw in stuff on the ship that never was there to start with during that time.

They need a dish deflector not the lighted one for example. Weapons needs to be similar. Stuff like that. That way it will appear to fit in. Not so easily picked off like they did for JJ Trek. Where they "claim" to be Prime Universe stuff, but they was no where near what the Prime Universe uses.

Bottom line if you can't make the Tech and stuff to fit in, then you did a horrible job. So far the ship they showed does not fit in with the era they trying to show. With some features. That needs to be addressed to make it correct.

"During that time"...
    all we saw of Star Fleet was the Enterprise and a few of her sister ships, so saying that they can't put stuff in because we never saw it is ridicules.

The lighted deflector could have been something that was in development and hadn't been expanded to be used on other ships till Enterprise was brought back to be refitted for TMP.

Hell, we saw in the NX that there was lighting behind it's deflector dish, that may have been the start of the design to go from a "dish" to a internal device.

And everything that the USS Kelvin had can ostensibly be used on the USS Discovery, because both universes are said to be pretty much the same up to Nero making a nuisance of himself.
    B)

Lighted dish from behind I can go with. Due to there was a disk actually present. Far we know the Connie's could been lighted brown to add to the glow of it. Since it would been much darker with out some light. Plus during TMP it was glowing brown with the new deflector upgrade.

TOS set the tone for that era. So it needs to be and look close to it. That is with all tech from weapons to ships. And the Franklin and Kelvin is not part of Prime. As due to it was Kelvin Tech before Nero showed up.

• Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    lordgyor wrote: »
    "Sexual exploitation"

Stop slutshaming people. Anyone can havevhigh libdos, not just teenagers. Stop being a prude.

I hope there is plenty of sex and nudity in it!!! Doubtful, but it would be fun.

Anyways, I'm racking my brain trying to think what the major event is.

Depends on the mind set, probably. I have not seen a single piece of non-erotica work in which the explicit depiction of sex would have been in any way necessary or beneficial. If one has to fill some time with it it just shows they like to cash in on easy sexploitation and lack meaningful contribution to the play. You can include sexuality in good style and you can do so in bad. If you have characters at any point rubbing against each other, panting and tearing their clothes off you have the textbook example of the latter.​​

It's kinda strange though that we handle this very different for the depiction of violence. We want to see the guns blazing, the fists hitting, the ships exploding in all its detail. The only difference might be whether we want to see the blood spatter or not.

If we can make stuff like, say, Inception, which contemplates certain philosophical theme while also giving us an action fest - why can't we do the same with depiction of sexuality? Is it really not possible, haven't we (or rather, film-makers) tried hard enough? Or is it really the difference between violence and sexuality - seeing violence does not neccessarily encourage us to be violent*, but seeing sexuality tends to get us in a certain... distracted mood so we can't follow the story anymore. [/tanget]

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    It's kinda strange though that we handle this very different for the depiction of violence. We want to see the guns blazing, the fists hitting, the ships exploding in all its detail. The only difference might be whether we want to see the blood spatter or not.

If we can make stuff like, say, Inception, which contemplates certain philosophical theme while also giving us an action fest - why can't we do the same with depiction of sexuality? Is it really not possible, haven't we (or rather, film-makers) tried hard enough? Or is it really the difference between violence and sexuality - seeing violence does not neccessarily encourage us to be violent*, but seeing sexuality tends to get us in a certain... distracted mood so we can't follow the story anymore. [/tanget]

You might want to check my thoughts on Star Trek Beyond. I rate the movie lower than it could be explicitly because of their overdrawn action scenes that contribute nothing and make me dizzy because of all the dark shaky cam and face kicking. It depends on my expectations. When I watch a action movie I expect action. When I watch TRIBBLE I expect sex. When I watch anything in between I expect it's contents to be shaped to benefit the work and not be filler just for the sake of it.

I get "distracted" by depiction of sex as little as I get violent watching action scenes. I do however enjoy action scenes because it's not something I want to experience myself. I do enjoy sex and keep it in a pleasant mental context. Looking at actors smushing their trained bodies together while a few scenes before or after we witness scenes of violence and thrill rips my pleasant image of sex and puts it in gruesome and unenjoyable context.

I don't buy the whole "oh our society, we cheer violence and condemn sex" thing, this has nothing to do with cultural values. I don't think it's a male/female thing either. It's simply a personal one, at least that's all I can talk about.

Edit: Regarding the updated visuals

Please be so kind and look at the recent Star Wars movie or the Trailer for "Rogue One" - here they did a excellent job updating the visuals to current standards but have the scenery and technology be completely indistinguishable from the 70s and 80s original. Even the old 70s computer on the Millenium Falcon is used in Episode VII. That's how you do it.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    edited August 2016

"During that time"...

B)

Lighted dish from behind I can go with. Due to there was a disk actually present. Far we know the Connie's could been lighted brown to add to the glow of it. Since it would been much darker with out some light. Plus during TMP it was glowing brown with the new deflector upgrade.

TOS set the tone for that era. So it needs to be and look close to it. That is with all tech from weapons to ships. And the Franklin and Kelvin is not part of Prime. As due to it was Kelvin Tech before Nero showed up.

You need to either start or finish your posts with "in my head-canon", because what you state as "fact" isn't truly the facts.
    Saying that the Kelvin's tech isn't part of the Prime Universe is NOT a fact, it's just your way of denying what was actually stated in the movies.

If "Star Trek: Discovery" shows that kind of tech, will you still be in denial?
    If so, just remember that trying to swim upstream against that particular "river", will get you nowhere.
    <shrug>
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    It's kinda funny...
    Two people are horny or fall in love, so they jump into the sack and hump each other, it happens all the time all over the world on a daily basis...

But when some director decides to put it into a movie, it becomes a distraction and isn't part of the story.

humnn...
  • Options
    It's kinda funny...
    Two people are horny or fall in love, so they jump into the sack and hump each other, it happens all the time all over the world on a daily basis...

But when some director decides to put it into a movie, it becomes a distraction and isn't part of the story.

humnn...

Nobody said that.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    welcome2earfwelcome2earf Member Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    starswordc wrote: »
    I feel like some familiar mistakes are being created: a prequel series before TOS with a ship that is clearly more advanced-looking (and dare I say, uglier) than a TOS Constitution class. I'm gonna guess they're gonna do...the Romulan war?

Oh for Christ's sake, it looks more advanced than a TOS Constitution because the special effects technology is light-years better. That's all. Just like the special effects technology was better when they did ENT. And I bloody hope they don't even acknowledge that there's a difference.

False, it has ZERO to do with SFX and has EVERYTHING to do with design and styling. In Enterprise, the Connie looked great with modern effects but was still clearly a ship of that generation.
    T93uSC8.jpg
  • Options

You need to either start or finish your posts with "in my head-canon", because what you state as "fact" isn't truly the facts.
    Saying that the Kelvin's tech isn't part of the Prime Universe is NOT a fact, it's just your way of denying what was actually stated in the movies.

If so, just remember that trying to swim upstream against that particular "river", will get you nowhere.
    <shrug>

You need to do the same, as yours isn't fact either. Cause your going based off bad dialog. Where many times over its been proven wrong compared to tech. So that is the way your head canon works.

• Options
    mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1

<shrug>

You need to do the same, as yours isn't fact either. Cause your going based off bad dialog. Where many times over its been proven wrong compared to tech. So that is the way your head canon works.

The Kelvin Timeline is a part of canon.

There are elements from the Abrams movies that are from the Prime Timeline.

This is from CBS. If it wasn't, then you wouldn't see Kelvin Timeline stuff in STO, or some of the officially licensed books coming out this year.

Those ARE facts.
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    mhall85 wrote: »

This is from CBS. If it wasn't, then you wouldn't see Kelvin Timeline stuff in STO, or some of the officially licensed books coming out this year.

Those ARE facts.

I'm not saying its Canon. STO is a game for all Trek fans, so it was natural to add it in at some point. My point is, its not part of the Prime Universe. Its in the "Kelvin Universe", never intended to be from the Prime. The Tech points that out. And overrules the dialog.

• Options
    lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    "It's kinda funny...

humnn..."

Some people are prudes sadly, its just unfortunate that they have to ruin things fo everyone else.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    There's a strong qualitative difference between two (or more) people who develop a relationship over time that would reasonably lead them into jumping each other's bones like crazed weasels, and random freaky matchups like some sort of bizarre cross between 90210 and The Bachelor.

It's possible to have an adult show, with adult relationships, that doesn't look like it should be on Cinemax after 10pm.​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    Hmm... Zoe and Hoban "Wash" Washburn in Firefly come to mind.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    mhall85 wrote: »

Those ARE facts.

I'm not saying its Canon. STO is a game for all Trek fans, so it was natural to add it in at some point. My point is, its not part of the Prime Universe. Its in the "Kelvin Universe", never intended to be from the Prime. The Tech points that out. And overrules the dialog.

Again, that is not how the creators of the movies and TV shows explained it, nor the way the movies play out...

Your using ONLY what you've SEEN, to try and back up your particular views, which is probably going to be completely blown away by "Star Trek: Discovery" because what we will be SEEING in that show, will have aspects and the Technology of BOTH Universe's present.

And just because you've decided for now, that you're not going to watch the new show (for whatever reason), it won't negate the facts as they are now being presented.

Using what hasn't been seen previously, as a basis for your facts is called Denying the Antecedent...

And that doesn't work no matter what universe you live in.

smh
  • Options

Again, that is not how the creators of the movies and TV shows explained it, nor the way the movies play out...

Your using ONLY what you've SEEN, to try and back up your particular views, which is probably going to be completely blown away by "Star Trek: Discovery" because what we will be SEEING in that show, will have aspects and the Technology of BOTH Universe's present.

And just because you've decided for now, that you're not going to watch the new show (for whatever reason), it won't negate the facts as they are now being presented.

Using what hasn't been seen previously, as a basis for your facts is called Denying the Antecedent...

And that doesn't work no matter what universe you live in.

smh

With the Tech of the Kelvin existing before Nero. It's fact this is a different Universe. Just like the Mirror Universe. Then later with the pics of the Franklin that only solidifies the fact its a different Universe. The Kelvin Universe is not part of the Prime Universe.

You are going by Dialog to go with the current story and plot. No different than on Star Trek TNG movies with the Enterprise E decks. Where each time the dialog says a different deck. But proof on the MSD shows the correct decks. Plus when I saw 2009, I saw so many mistakes. That movie is hard to be constant even with itself.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    You just don't seem to get it...

All the stuff we've seen in the movies, CAN'T BE ELIMINATED FROM THE PRIME UNIVERSE, JUST BECAUSE WE HAVEN'T SEEN IT BEFORE IN THE PRIME UNIVERSE.

I'll reiterate just for you...

What we saw in the Classic Trek Series, was a very, VERY small part of the Prime Trek Universe, as seen from the viewpoint of Captain Kirk and his Crew, ONLY.

You can't use the Process of Elimination as your basis of logical "facts", since you can't eliminate something you don't know exists.

We already have seen from the USS Discovery teasers and the info given out by it's creator, that parts of the JJ-Star Trek Movies ARE going to be incorporated into the new show.

Which means that they ARE a part of the Prime Universe.

Your 'Denial Head-Canon' ... ISN'T Logical.

B)

Post edited by daveyny on
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    If we have to go by what we saw in TOS, Starfleet consisted of exactly nine ships, all of the same design, and four of which (Defiant, Constellation, Exeter, and Intrepid) were lost during the show's run.

Now, of course, this is nonsense - there's no way a volume of space as large as that described in various star maps could possibly be patrolled by a mere nine spacecraft - but hey, that's all we saw on screen, so that's all that counts, right?​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    jonsills wrote: »
    If we have to go by what we saw in TOS, Starfleet consisted of exactly nine ships, all of the same design, and four of which (Defiant, Constellation, Exeter, and Intrepid) were lost during the show's run.

Now, of course, this is nonsense - there's no way a volume of space as large as that described in various star maps could possibly be patrolled by a mere nine spacecraft - but hey, that's all we saw on screen, so that's all that counts, right?​​

I expect to see other kinds of ships, I do agree. As back then the budget was low and they didn't have much to use on newer ships.

What I liked was the TOS ships STO did. They looked like they belong there and looked good on top of that. I expect to see ships of similar designs. Or at least main features being used. No nacelle exhaust "after burners", dish of some kind for a deflector (back glow type like the NX, or TOS style), ground weapons and uniforms similar to TOS, etc. Specially since its around the years of "The Cage". As even those wasn't much different than Kirk's run. The year is 2254 – eleven years before Captain Kirk's five-year mission commanding the USS Enterprise. So to remain true to the Prime, it should feature nearly all the elements of "The Cage".

• Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter

I expect to see other kinds of ships, I do agree. As back then the budget was low and they didn't have much to use on newer ships.

What I liked was the TOS ships STO did. They looked like they belong there and looked good on top of that. I expect to see ships of similar designs. Or at least main features being used. No nacelle exhaust "after burners", dish of some kind for a deflector (back glow type like the NX, or TOS style), ground weapons and uniforms similar to TOS, etc. Specially since its around the years of "The Cage". As even those wasn't much different than Kirk's run. The year is 2254 – eleven years before Captain Kirk's five-year mission commanding the USS Enterprise. So to remain true to the Prime, it should feature nearly all the elements of "The Cage".

Why? You've already established you have a complete lack of imagination and think that the completely unrelated Kelvin era should resemble TOS era ships despite being set in the past. You you think that pre-Cage era ships should also hold to that. TNG are DS9 take place closer together than this show and the Cage and the differences between the aesthetics on those ships is massively higher than between the NX and the Kelvin eras or the Kelvin ad TOS era.

With any luck the showrunners will have far more imagination that you. Judging by what we've seen of the Discovery so far it seems they just might.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    I still say the Discovery looks like a brute-force first pass at the Constitution - achieving higher sustained warp speeds, for instance, not by more-advanced engine designs but by basically duct-taping three nacelles into a single housing and throwing power to them.​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    I still say the Discovery looks like a brute-force first pass at the Constitution - achieving higher sustained warp speeds, for instance, not by more-advanced engine designs but by basically duct-taping three nacelles into a single housing and throwing power to them.​​

The nacelles of the "Proto-Discovery". I don't have much an issue with. As long there is no "afterburners" effect on them. And it needs a proper deflector. And proper weapon types. Other stuff used on the show, should reflect a good bit of "The Cage". Uniforms, ground gear, some of the ship interior themes, etc.

• Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    I hope to all the gods it has the afterburner just to shut you up about it. Or so I can watch you contort yourself backwards trying to claim DSC is also in an AR
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »
    Or so I can watch you contort yourself backwards trying to claim DSC is also in an AR

Well... there is precedent for selective reboots of major sci-fi franchises lately... :wink:

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
This discussion has been closed.