test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Am I the only one who would like a K'Vort?

sinn74sinn74 Member Posts: 1,149 Arc User
As a....Raptor, maybe? I don't think it warrants the "brick battlecruiser" treatment, but it can't be as nimble as a BoP. I'm actually surprised they haven't used this as some kind of light battlecruiser/Raptor, at this point.

Although I know some don't like the "Bird of Prey looking cruiser" thing. I've always liked it.

Comments

• freakiumfreakium Member Posts: 426 Arc User
    The main problem with the K'vort is that it's essentially a bigger looking B'rel BoP that mostly has its wings up. If in the unlikely event they do decide to release the K'vort, it would probably be a raptor.
    m12Pkoj.png
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    OP, we had been asking for a K'Vort since STO launched. The 2 ships KDF players were asking for in those days?

Playable endgame B'Rel, which actually happened in the form of the B'Rel Retrofit in the C-Store.

Playable K'Vort. No luck at all.

I'd like to see and play with a K'Vort, but... yeah.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • kyrrokkyrrok Member Posts: 1,352 Arc User
    I'd like a K'vort, either as a highly maneuverable cruiser, or even as a skin for a T6 Hegh'ta. I'm not very hopeful of it though.
  • sinn74sinn74 Member Posts: 1,149 Arc User
    OP, we had been asking for a K'Vort since STO launched. The 2 ships KDF players were asking for in those days?

Playable endgame B'Rel, which actually happened in the form of the B'Rel Retrofit in the C-Store.

Playable K'Vort. No luck at all.

I'd like to see and play with a K'Vort, but... yeah.

Why does none of this surprise me? ugh
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    The K'Vort is an upscaled B'Rel. I think it will never happen in STO. It's too obvious that this is a ship made up because SFX or ship models cost big money back then, and it was easier to reuse an old model than make a new one, but it just doesn't seem to feel right for a computer game.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    The K'Vort is an upscaled B'Rel. I think it will never happen in STO. It's too obvious that this is a ship made up because SFX or ship models cost big money back then, and it was easier to reuse an old model than make a new one, but it just doesn't seem to feel right for a computer game.

While I understand this, how many Fed ships are a (very similar looking) saucer and 2 nacelles?
  • goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    Wasn't that like a light cruiser that looked like a BoP with it's wings in a fixed position? Yeah, why not?!
    klingon-bridge.jpg

edited February 2016
    goodscotch wrote: »
    Wasn't that like a light cruiser that looked like a BoP with it's wings in a fixed position? Yeah, why not?!

The scaling, perspectives makes the K'Vort vary in size. Sometimes it was the size to be expected of a light cruiser but bigger than the traditional B'Rel. Sometimes it looked like the size of a Galaxy-class and D'Deridex. This web page has a decent rundown on the varying size depictions.
    XzRTofz.gif
    sinn74 wrote: »

While I understand this, how many Fed ships are a (very similar looking) saucer and 2 nacelles?
    Similar is not identical. Even the Constitution Refit looks more different than a B'Rel looks from a K'Vort.
    Even the Yeager looks more like its own ship from a Voyager and a Maquis Raider than the K'Vort looks from a B'Rel.

B'Rel
    latest?cb=20120317050343&path-prefix=en
    K'Vort
    latest?cb=20070925015127

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.

Similar is not identical. Even the Constitution Refit looks more different than a B'Rel looks from a K'Vort.
    Even the Yeager looks more like its own ship from a Voyager and a Maquis Raider than the K'Vort looks from a B'Rel.

B'Rel
    K'Vort
    latest?cb=20070925015127

If the size is different, and the wings are fixed, does that make it not identical?

If the same ship with one extra nacelle strapped to it is in game, why not the K'Vort?

B'Rel
    K'Vort
    latest?cb=20070925015127

If the size is different, and the wings are fixed, does that make it not identical?

If the same ship with one extra nacelle strapped to it is in game, why not the K'Vort?
    Because it actually is a different model (even if it's just some parts attached). IF you look at the silhouette, it will look different.

Imagine if Cryptic actually created a new starship, say, "Advanced Tactical Destroyer". It's the Defiant mode. But at 4 times the length the current model. Wouldn't that seem like silly and lazy to you? Can you see that it might seem lazy and silly to some people?

B'Rel
    K'Vort
    latest?cb=20070925015127

Because it actually is a different model (even if it's just some parts attached). IF you look at the silhouette, it will look different.

Imagine if Cryptic actually created a new starship, say, "Advanced Tactical Destroyer". It's the Defiant mode. But at 4 times the length the current model. Wouldn't that seem like silly and lazy to you? Can you see that it might seem lazy and silly to some people?

If Cryptic created it? Yes. Not wanting something because of the reason it is canon? Not so much.

In fact, I'm all for anything that makes it easier for them to put more KDF ships in game, especially canon ones. Regardless of any reason why it was canon, canon it be, nonetheless.
    edited February 2016

B'Rel
    K'Vort
    latest?cb=20070925015127

If Cryptic created it? Yes. Not wanting something because of the reason it is canon? Not so much.

In fact, I'm all for anything that makes it easier for them to put more KDF ships in game, especially canon ones. Regardless of any reason why it was canon, canon it be, nonetheless.
    Canon isn't always enough, IMO. :)

The Yeager is an obvious cross of the Intrepid and the Maquis Raider. I could see a ship "inspired" by it in STO, but the actual model replicated? No, that would just look awkward.

A giant Bird of Prey? I could see that. But I would want it to look different from a B'Rel in more than just size. More like something that should have been if the budget was there back then.
  • stofskstofsk Member Posts: 1,744 Arc User
    IIRC the K'vort isn't super large, it's roughly the size of the Hegh'ta.

I'd accept a T6 Hegh'ta in lieu of a K'vort. As far as I'm concerned the Hegh'ta is the next generation of K'vort anyway.
  • kyrrokkyrrok Member Posts: 1,352 Arc User
    stofsk wrote: »
    IIRC the K'vort isn't super large, it's roughly the size of the Hegh'ta.

I'd accept a T6 Hegh'ta in lieu of a K'vort. As far as I'm concerned the Hegh'ta is the next generation of K'vort anyway.

And if we could have a K'vort hull option, even better =)
    More skin options/pieces are always better! You know, unless we're talking about the Kor. Or the t6 Borts. Kinda hasn't been well executed.
    What I would do if given free reign on the stats of a T6 K'Vort? It's a big BOP. I would lean into the stats being a blend of the BOP play as we know it as well as a Battlecruiser. Just as the other BOPs are a blend of benefits and compromises, I would make it persist with the K'Vort.

T6 K'Vort
    Type: BOP/Raider
    Hull: 42k-50k For reference hull ranges for following T6 KDF ships at Fleet level/equivalent: T6 B'Rel 28k-36k, T6 Qib 44k-51k, T6 Mogh 47k-55k, T6 Negh'Var - STOWiki shows 57k. The K'Vort is a larger ship hull should show this but I will not put it in the same hull league as the KDF's Battlecruisers. The Qib is the lightest in hull for KDF Battlecruisers and I would not have the K'Vort have the exact same quality.

Shield Mod: 1.0 For reference, T6 B'Rel 0.88 and the KDF Battlecruisers sit at about 1.1.
    Weapon Slots: 5 fwd, 2 aft Other BOPs are 4/2 setups. All KDF Battlecruisers are 4/4 except for the 5/3 Mogh.

BOFF Slots: Same as T6 B'Rel though a notion of T6 Norgh would be interesting but that's a different subject altogether
    UNIV Cmdr
    UNIV LtCmdr
    UNIV LtCmdr
    UNIV Lt

Device Slots: 3
    Console Slots: ENG 3, SCI 4, TAC 4
    K'Vort Handling - Unlike the B'Rels which have shown outstanding speed and handling in the shows and movies, the few times we *have* seen a K'Vort, they have handled similarly to other KDF Battlecruisers. The stats for T6 K'Vort would reflect this and the standard I'm using is the Vor'Cha which is in the middle of the pack in terms of handling for KDF Battlecruisers.
    Turn Rate: 10 contrast T6 B'Rel 23
    Impulse Mod: 0.15 contrast T6 B'Rel 0.20
    Inertia: 30 contrast T6 B'Rel 80

Bonus Power: +15 Weapons Power, +5 Aux Power, same as T6 B'Rel
    Abilities: Battle Cloak, no Cruiser Commands of course

Again, my take on the K'Vort is the idea that it would be a flexible, offensive machine that is larger, tougher than the other BOPs. The handling of the K'Vort would still be good as it matches that of the respected Vor'Cha. However, the lack of Cruiser Commands, weaker shield/hull mod than Battlecruisers, 3 ENG Console Slots would keep the K'Vort from stepping on the toes of the far hardier Battlecruisers. On the same token, the K'Vort will not have the awesome handling characteristics of the BOPs. It gets heavier armament, better hull and shield mod than other BOPs in compensation.
    XzRTofz.gif
    What I would do if given free reign on the stats of a T6 K'Vort? It's a big BOP. I would lean into the stats being a blend of the BOP play as we know it as well as a Battlecruiser. Just as the other BOPs are a blend of benefits and compromises, I would make it persist with the K'Vort.

T6 K'Vort
    Hull: 42k-50k For reference hull ranges for following T6 KDF ships at Fleet level/equivalent: T6 B'Rel 28k-36k, T6 Qib 44k-51k, T6 Mogh 47k-55k, T6 Negh'Var - STOWiki shows 57k. The K'Vort is a larger ship hull should show this but I will not put it in the same hull league as the KDF's Battlecruisers. The Qib is the lightest in hull for KDF Battlecruisers and I would not have the K'Vort have the exact same quality.

Shield Mod: 1.0 For reference, T6 B'Rel 0.88 and the KDF Battlecruisers sit at about 1.1.
    Weapon Slots: 5 fwd, 2 aft Other BOPs are 4/2 setups. All KDF Battlecruisers are 4/4 except for the 5/3 Mogh.

BOFF Slots: Same as T6 B'Rel though a notion of T6 Norgh would be interesting but that's a different subject altogether
    UNIV Cmdr
    UNIV LtCmdr
    UNIV LtCmdr
    UNIV Lt

K'Vort Handling - Unlike the B'Rels which have shown outstanding speed and handling in the shows and movies, the few times we *have* seen a K'Vort, they have handled similarly to other KDF Battlecruisers. The stats for T6 K'Vort would reflect this and the standard I'm using is the Vor'Cha which is in the middle of the pack in terms of handling for KDF Battlecruisers.

Again, my take on the K'Vort is the idea that it would be a flexible, offensive machine that is larger, tougher than the other BOPs. The handling of the K'Vort would still be good as it matches that of the respected Vor'Cha. However, the lack of Cruiser Commands, weaker shield/hull mod than Battlecruisers, 3 ENG Console Slots would keep the K'Vort from stepping on the toes of the far hardier Battlecruisers. On the same token, the K'Vort will not have the awesome handling characteristics of the BOPs. It gets heavier armament, better hull and shield mod than other BOPs in compensation.

That looks a lot like the Matha Raptor.
    My conception of the K'vort is it's a Big Bird-of-prey. I wouldn't try to make it a hybrid between BoPs and BCs.

I do like the idea of giving it 5 forward weapons though.
    Destroyer, maybe. Feds would have a fit if it had battlecloak.
    edited February 2016

T6 K'Vort

UNIV Cmdr
    UNIV LtCmdr
    UNIV LtCmdr
    UNIV Lt

That looks a lot like the Matha Raptor.

Matha Raptor doesn't have battle cloak, is MUCH lighter on the hull, and most importantly, does not have a Full Universal BOFF layout. A BOP with its Full Universal BOFF layout gives you immense freedom, flexibility to build what you want, with a compromise of course (-1 BOFF skill total, except for T5 Fleet Norgh but it pays for that with -1 console slot).

The Full Universal lets you plug and play vastly different builds. You can go traditional offense with my supposed K'Vort, and still pack the punch. Battle Cloaks, 5 fwd weaps, 4 TAC, 4 SCI consoles lets you be pretty hard hitting. Alternatively, you can make a Semi-Science Vessel out of the K'Vort. It has 4 SCI Console Slots to equip a good number of Embassy or Research Lab Consoles with, which is decent enough to turn the K'Vort into the Science role. Not as good as a true Science Vessel, but the BOP Full Universals let you do that if you want.

My T6 K'Vort idea is a ship of flexiblity, freedom, and compromises, something that the Birds of Prey have generally been about.
    Destroyer, maybe. Feds would have a fit if it had battlecloak.

A Destroyer in this game is nothing more than an Escort ship with LtCmdr ENG. The "Destroyer" and other ship labels in this game doesn't apply to the Bird of Prey line because of the Full Universal BOFF layout.
    stofsk wrote: »
    My conception of the K'vort is it's a Big Bird-of-prey. I wouldn't try to make it a hybrid between BoPs and BCs.

I do like the idea of giving it 5 forward weapons though.

I would have gone hardcore by making it an even heavier forward heavy weapon arrangement with 0 rear weapons, but what I proposed is radical enough.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • freakiumfreakium Member Posts: 426 Arc User
    I would have gone hardcore by making it an even heavier forward heavy weapon arrangement with 0 rear weapons, but what I proposed is radical enough.

Ahaha, that would be true canon for sure. Too bad that's never going to happen though. I would like to see a 5 fore 1 aft setup if the K'vort ever comes to fruition.
    m12Pkoj.png
    freakium wrote: »

Ahaha, that would be true canon for sure. Too bad that's never going to happen though. I would like to see a 5 fore 1 aft setup if the K'vort ever comes to fruition.

Correct, the Birds of Prey have traditionally been an "All Forward" armament setup in the shows and movies. But for BOPs to have that in STO, the other factions would scream bloody murder.
    XzRTofz.gif
    Correct, the Birds of Prey have traditionally been an "All Forward" armament setup in the shows and movies. But for BOPs to have that in STO, the other factions would scream bloody murder.
    That's actually not strictly true. We see a BoP fire an aft torpedo at the Defiant in Way of the Warrior.

Any advantage that can't be surpassed fedside generally causes an uproar. Isn't that why battlecloak=paper hull? "Its not fair, why cant I do this with muh Starflleet captain!!!!!111eleventeen"
  • sovereign010sovereign010 Member Posts: 636 Arc User
    I would love a K'vort BoP as a Raptor, certainly the thought of a bigger, more badass version is tempting given the stats for most raiders are pretty lousy.
    I would love a K'vort BoP as a Raptor, certainly the thought of a bigger, more badass version is tempting given the stats for most raiders are pretty lousy.

The "Raider" element is the last place where the KDF lineup can shine where others haven't.

1. There are already outstanding Escorts/Raptors in the T6 KDF lineup already, topped off by the Pilot Ship variants. Ever since those ships came out, no Escort/Raptor has come anywhere close to approaching their potent combination of speed, firepower, elusiveness, survivability. Then you have the Matha, where it's kind of forgotten about but is still a butcher of a ship. The Guramba is also now in T6 and has it's special Javelin Lance capability. All these ships also have either No Cloaks (i.e. Guramba) or Standard Cloaks (Raptors). The Escort/Raptor side of the house for the KDF is already crowded with capable ships. A K'Vort falling into the Escort/Raptor line would most certainly only be Standard Cloak and lose the Full Universal BOFF layout.

2. OTOH, the endgame "Raider" element of the KDF is the most expansive of the three playable factions. We have several T5 versions; Hegh'ta, Hoh'Sus, Norgh, Mirror Ki'Tang. Hegh'ta has no C-Store nor Fleet variant, nor T6 variant and M.Ki'Tang can't be upgraded, and at T6 we only have one, the Kor/B'Rel. We have room for growth in the one area where the KDF still holds an advantage over the other Factions. The Feds have 1, the much hated Aquarius that has no Battle Cloak. The Romulans are absolutely stacked in Battle Cloak-capable ships but none are Full Universal Ships, none have Raider Flanking Bonus... Not even the T'Varo.

3. All other Raiders in the game are failures. They lack the Full Universal BOFF layouts of the BOP. They also all lack any form of Cloak capability. All that is found only in the KDF Raiders/BOPs in one tidy package. Now, there actually have been some outstanding Raiders released outside the BOPs: The Breen Raider was excellent before T6 even existed. People flew that for a month or two than you NEVER see them anywhere, anymore, except for Plesh Brek Pets for Sarr Thelns and Breen Dreads. The Herald Baltim Raider is an outstanding Raider, T6 to top it off. Yet how many have you seen players fly them ever since the Herald Lockbox came out some time ago? Meanwhile, we have no shortage of Birds of Prey being flown in the KDF.
    XzRTofz.gif
    Warmaker's 2nd point is really important. We have like 9 battlecruisers at T6, not counting fleet versions (where it's more like 12) and 5 raptors, 7 if you count the fleet versions of the Mat'ha and the um... T6 Qin whose name I forget. Throw in the T6 Guramba and the 1000 day Vet destroyer. That's like 16 ships, plus their fleet versions for a total of 23.

We have only one Bird-of-Prey and its fleet version. ONE. We should at least have another, preferably one that is a little different to the Kor.

I'm not saying it has to be a K'vort (and I think the biggest problem with it being a K'vort is Al Rivera doesn't think the K'vort should exist or something). But we have existing bird-of-prey variants, some of those models could be revisited and given new skins and repackaged and sold as T6 ships. The Kor is a pilot BoP. We should have at least intel and command BoP varieties.

An old idea I had was the concept of having a 'hangar' pet by-another-name where you can fly a heavy BoP like the Hegh'ta and you could have wing-men of BoPs fly with you. Or make it a console pet I guess, or something like the fleet support ability but instead of calling in one ship you call in a couple of BoPs.

Another idea which is in this thread is give a BoP a 5/1 weapons load out. Sets it apart from the Kor and every other BoP we've had to date.

Ning'tao comes with quad disruptors. A T6 version could come with a console that has a two piece bonus. I'm just spitballing ideas here.
    edited March 2016
    The BOP line could easily be expanded. Almost all the KDF's BOP ships and skins are still stuck at T5 and below.

Existing KDF BOP ships/skins that are at T5 or lower:
    T1 C-Store B'Rotlh BOP - It's SUPPOSED to be usable on the T5 Fleet and both T6 versions of the B'Rel but it's still broken.
    T2 QulDun BOP
    T2 C-Store Qaw'Dun BOP - The very same BOPs that are the Vo'Quv's Elite BOP hangar units.
    T3/T5 Norgh BOP
    T3/T5 C-Store Ningtao BOP (part of T5 Fleet Norgh's possible skins)
    T4 Ki'Tang BOP
    T4 C-Store Ch'Tang BOP
    T5 Hegh'ta BOP
    T5 Hoh'Sus BOP

Existing KDF BOP skins at T6
    T6 B'Rel/Kor BOP

There's a lot of potential growth here and stofsk makes a point about Specializations. The B'Rel/Kor already covers Pilot. We can have Intel, Command Spec BOPs. Command Spec would be deadly for a Torp Boat. Intel for a traditional vape BOP is another example. Or additional varieties such as:

T6 Norgh - Continues tradition of Full BOFF skill count of the T5 Fleet Norgh but -1 Console Slot. A T6 version would have Full 13 Universal BOFF skill slots but 10 instead of 11 Console Slots. Give her Command Spec access.

The Hoh'Sus needs a big makeover because it doesn't stand out from any of the other BOPs once T5U came out. Before T5U, it was the only BOP with 4 TAC Consoles, but with T5U, 4 TAC Console BOPs were common. I would say make a supposed T6 Hoh'Sus a heavy weapons oriented BOP, going from 4-2 weapons layout into 5-1, and alter the console layout to 2 ENG, 4 SCI, 5 TAC Consoles. Give her Intel Spec access.

Etc, etc. There's lots of freedom of growth with the low tier BOPs that have not transitioned into T6 or even T5. Their stats are so low as low tier ships that there is no precedent to follow, unlike a T5 ship going into T6.
    XzRTofz.gif
    I hope that if we get more cross-faction 3-packs, Cryptic uses the opportunity to bring in some more Bird of Preys. If they make a few Escorts perhaps, this would seem to fit just fine. Science Vessels might work, too, but I think people would be alienated again if there is a Fed Science vessel and the 3-pack doen't include a KDF Science Vessel.

But for packs including Cruisers I fear we'll always be stuck with more KDF Cruisers.