test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Thoughts on the ultimate skill unlocks

ultimate skills unlocks how I believe they should change to fulfill the idea that they are a way of incentivizing alternate ways of making builds. They are also could end up a trap for new players, especially if you share the same class as the tree you complete. Having such a specialized build with a captian class and ship class of the same type will end in over specialization. Will limit what those new players can do in sto, and make it hard for them to complete or do well in end game group content.

To counter this I propose that these skills be made to compliment their weakness, not their strengths. Tactical, should be given better survivability/support. Engineers should be given a great source of burst damage/control. Science should get better burst damage.

Comments

• reynoldsxdreynoldsxd Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    so far, neither of these are even good enough to warrant a pidgeonhole build in the first place.

Recognize this nonsense for what it is: a trap.
  • pwstolemynamepwstolemyname Member Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    I wont speak for the engineering or tactical ultimate abilities as there is no way I would ever invest enough points in either engineering or tactical to achieve them. I probably wouldn't for the science ability either, but if I did go for one it would be probability manipulation.

That said, to persuade me to throw away as many skill points that could be better used to get it, I would need it polished a little to suite the builds that I might run with such a science focus.

Specifically, it needs a 40 second cooldown and some crit nerfing. The current 20 second duration and 120 reuse time means an average CritH of 8.3% over time. That's fine 8.3% is a decent return for the cost but the way its loaded into a massive 50% impact followed by long time for reuse makes it either a pvp vape skill, or an infected dps speed run skill. In normal play its timer just doesn't interface with anything else very well.

By giving it a 40 second reuse time it will mesh nicely with gravity well and destabilizing resonance beam, which are exactly the sorts of abilities people who invest high enough in science to get probability manipulation are likely to be wielding. By having this ready to go again when these two abilities are up the science captain can better capitalize on it.

Of course 50% is an absurd critH increase to have on a 40 second cool down, so it would have to be brought back in line, instead of 'seting' CritH to 50 it should mealy increase CritH by 10%. That's less then the current increase over time (5% instead of 8.3%) but as an 'increase' rather then a 'set' it will build on the captains other crit enhancements, such as that given by particle manipulator, and with the extra ability synergy and the more frequent use of the damage resistance reduction component I think it would still come out as a buff to the skill.

The best part though, is that while this would make it more attractive to me, and lure me away from a generalized build, in a way that it currently dose not, it also reduces the effectiveness of this ability for pvp vaping. Not that I mind vape builds. But I know there is bound to be a lot of winging and moaning on the forums about them using this as is.