test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Comet Arc VO

Someone suggested this to me a while back and I immediately sprayed holy water on him. But thinking on it, I'm wondering if it would actually prove popular in light of how many people a drawn in by JJ Trek. No idea whether this would impinge on the IP issue, it might well fall outside it.

In the Comet Arc, we have Bones and Scotty - voice obviously missing as both are no longer with us, and ditto likeness is quite far off like Worf's pre-VO when they got permission. Both positions could be filled by their JJ-Trek counterparts as, although many of us dispute JJ being "our" cannon, they are official representations of the young versions of these characters and for many people the actors who introduced us to them. The actors themselves might not be covered by the IP issue that things like uniform and ship designs are, so it might be perfectly possible - we have one JJ actor in game after all, albeit a different character.

Despite posting this, I'm not really convinced by it myself. Seems almost disrespectful. But I'm wondering what others think about how the old and new characters relate.

Comments

• psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    I could get on board with that. I don't really pay that much attention to the voiceovers in STO, but it would certainly be nice to have some voices to go along with the characters.

On the other hand, though, there's the "uncanny valley" to consider. The use of a Scotty actor that's not quite the classic Scotty might rub some hardcore Trekkies worse than having no voiceover at all. With no voiceover you can at least choose to hear the voice in your heard.

Personally, I'm neutral. It would be cool, but it wouldn't make or break the game for me.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    Someone suggested this to me a while back and I immediately sprayed holy water on him. But thinking on it, I'm wondering if it would actually prove popular in light of how many people a drawn in by JJ Trek. No idea whether this would impinge on the IP issue, it might well fall outside it.

In the Comet Arc, we have Bones and Scotty - voice obviously missing as both are no longer with us, and ditto likeness is quite far off like Worf's pre-VO when they got permission. Both positions could be filled by their JJ-Trek counterparts as, although many of us dispute JJ being "our" cannon, they are official representations of the young versions of these characters and for many people the actors who introduced us to them. The actors themselves might not be covered by the IP issue that things like uniform and ship designs are, so it might be perfectly possible - we have one JJ actor in game after all, albeit a different character.

Despite posting this, I'm not really convinced by it myself. Seems almost disrespectful. But I'm wondering what others think about how the old and new characters relate.

it would most certainly impinge, people ask for the jjcrapverse connie and vengence, neither of which are on the game, but you got ships similar to this in the game however. anything in those films owned by paramount, are property of paramount, it has nothing to do with CBS. in order to work something like that out, cbs and paramount need an agreement and that is something i dont see happening.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
    If it could be cleared, James Doohan's son has done Scotty voice work that is said to be very accurate, and Karl Urban's imitation of Deforest Kelley is stunningly good. Get the clearance to make the characters look right and to use those voice actors and you have a win. But the TOS versions, the real deal, not the JJ-versions.​​

sure if Doohan's son is interested and cryptic are willing to give a voice over, but karl urban is a no go.
  • chiyoumikuchiyoumiku Member Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    While their voice work is very close to the origionals, out of respect to the fallen actors I would say this should be left unvoiced.
    Sekhmet_Banner.jpg
    Defending The Galaxy By Breaking One Starfleet Regulation After The Next.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,017 Community Moderator
    If they got Karl Urban to voice McCoy... I don't think there would be a lot of rage because Karl Urban nailed McCoy in the reboot movies.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    It's the retro look TOS past, using a JJverse actor would not fit. Doohan's son would be fine though.
  • ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User

OMG NO JJ UNIVERSE IS NOT A REPRESENTATION OF YOUNGER TOS CHARECTERS! Have you even read anything about that? JJ Trek has it's own and I may say BADLY done game. JJ Universe IS NOT an offical part of the TOS timeline it is a parrellel universe seperate from TOS/TNG/VOY/ENT/DS9 universe. So yeah 'nuff said.
    azrael605 wrote: »

it would most certainly impinge, people ask for the jjcrapverse connie and vengence, neither of which are on the game, but you got ships similar to this in the game however. anything in those films owned by paramount, are property of paramount, it has nothing to do with CBS. in order to work something like that out, cbs and paramount need an agreement and that is something i dont see happening.

Paramount's stuff has nothing to do with CBS? Then why exactly are Paramount and CBS suing Axanar hmm? The two companies are already in a licensing agreement for Trek, and have been for quite some time. For more specific information, CBS owns Trek, and Paramount has a license from them to make films, just like Cryptic has a license to make this game. Currently Paramount's licensed material is not covered under Cryptic's license but that could change (not saying it's likely or anything, just a possibility). Much in the way that the material from the Trek animated series was licensed by the then owner (which was Paramount IIRC, they bought Trek when the bought Desilu in 1967) to Filmation, and that material is not covered under the Cryptic license, but Paramount was able to negotiate use of some elements of it for their current films.

paramount and cbs suing axanar has nothing to do with this, thats a filmsy diversion.
    cryptic has a license to produce everything that CBS has on trek, not everything paramount has on trek, there is no agreement there and that is the point here even you are agreeing to.
    what was, is not what is. Desilu created trek which was bought out by paramount and lasted until 2000 when viacom bought them out along with CBS, a few years later it all fell apart and CBS acquired everything that is trek from the past, from tos to enterprise and all films at the time, including nemesis a few years later. paramount still have some control over the trek, but only as far as future films go.

if CBS or paramount ever decide to cooperate on a new film, there will have to be talks with cryptic ovver what can and can not be done in any potential agreements.
  • jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,784 Arc User
    chiyoumiku wrote: »
    While their voice work is very close to the origionals, out of respect to the fallen actors I would say this should be left unvoiced.

I respectfully disagree. I doubt that Mr. Doohan would be upset about his child taking over his his iconic role after he has passed. That makes it a family-thing and different than an outright recasting.

And Urban rocked that McCoy part. I could forget that I wasn't watching Kelley. Mr. Urban went out of his way to do that role justice. That is more than just acting; that is honoring a fellow actor. Again, I think that could be overlooked because of the respect being shown by the new actor.
    azrael605 wrote: »
    For the most part I think we aren't even disagreeing here, however, Paramount and CBS have a very close relationship in regards to Trek at this point, such that CBS did not choose to pursue making a new TV series without long discussions with Paramount (which has been explicitly stated by numerous people from CBS and Paramount). Aside from that, in a Priority One interview a few weeks back this game's EP stated that Cryptic is currently in talks with CBS about when and how the game might possibly connect to the new Trek series starting next January.

A discussion is one thing, an actual agreement that is officially endorsed by both side and is in the public knowledge is another entirely. you meant well with the comment, but without this hard fact contract, it wouldnt matter who said what, it is just speculation like any theory.

the new trek series is produced specifically by CBS, so there shouldnt be any significant hurdles for the Cryptic EP to jump through to reach a deal with CBS on new ships, weapons, uniforms, alien races and such. if there were between paramount and Cryptic EP, CBS would likely have to be involved because their IP rights are at stake as STO is mostly based on the prime universe and everything in it, it wouldnt serve Cryptic well if they basically made a backroom deal with Paramount without CBS being involved, it would create a crapstorm for no good reason.
    It's the retro look TOS past, using a JJverse actor would not fit. Doohan's son would be fine though.

Technically, Mr Urban would not be acting in his role as McCoy in the Paramount films. He would be providing an imitation of DeForest Kelley to voice the original, TOS McCoy in the Prime Universe. The only reason he would be considered for this is because his Deforest Kelley impression is so spot-on.​​

unfortunately if he has a contract with paramount as McCoy for another film at least, then it would be acting on behalf of the likeness of the alternative McCoy and it would legitimize paramount influence on STO. besides the alternative McCoy is based directly off Karl Urban, there is no escaping that when it comes to Paramount needing to protect its film rights including everything in it, this includes likeness.

its the same as if it was the jjprise trying to get on STO, CBS wouldnt allow it without a deal with paramount and cryptic would need to make a deal with both to make sure it is safely in the game.
  • therealmaddmatttherealmaddmatt Member Posts: 120 Arc User
    Chris Doohan wouldn't have a problem reprising his father's role in STO, since he's currently playing Scotty in the ongoing fan series Star Trek Continues. This would only be dependent on whether Cryptic wants to go back to revamp Night of the Comet, of which I doubt would happen.

As for Urban's contract, I still find it hilarious when people argue passionately about something they know little to nothing about. :D
  • isthisscienceisthisscience Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    unfortunately if he has a contract with paramount as McCoy for another film at least, then it would be acting on behalf of the likeness of the alternative McCoy and it would legitimize paramount influence on STO. besides the alternative McCoy is based directly off Karl Urban, there is no escaping that when it comes to Paramount needing to protect its film rights including everything in it, this includes likeness.

its the same as if it was the jjprise trying to get on STO, CBS wouldnt allow it without a deal with paramount and cryptic would need to make a deal with both to make sure it is safely in the game.

I think you may be taking the IP as being much broader than it is. Nothing i the new universe would be referenced, no designs, plots, ships etc. - the only thing is the character and that exists in both IPs. An actor playing that character is quite possibly not directly covered. It may be, but I think only a copyright lawyer familiar with the agreement could answer this one way or the other. We're just not qualified to judge on such a grey area.
    As for Urban's contract, I still find it hilarious when people argue passionately about something they know little to nothing about. :D

i would like to know where you got that bit of info from. source first...
    edited February 2016
    I think you may be taking the IP as being much broader than it is. Nothing i the new universe would be referenced, no designs, plots, ships etc. - the only thing is the character and that exists in both IPs. An actor playing that character is quite possibly not directly covered. It may be, but I think only a copyright lawyer familiar with the agreement could answer this one way or the other. We're just not qualified to judge on such a grey area.

you meesed up the quote there.

everything in these trek films is owned by paramount , everything seen, props, characters, storyline, it was all designed for the films.
  • ufpterrellufpterrell Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    To be honest, with those old missions Cryptic would never go out of their way and pour resources into something that doesn't really get much play these days. Also, I don't necessarily need VO work for Bones and Scotty's lines, I hear their voice in my head when I read it lol. Put that down to having watched TOS through several times ;).
    Terrell.png

Looking for a dedicated Star Trek community? Visit www.ufplanets.com for details.
  • isthisscienceisthisscience Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    everything in these trek films is owned by paramount , everything seen, props, characters, storyline, it was all designed for the films.

Except what is derived from the TV series, which includes characters. It all depends on how the contract defines the IP. Don't forget that STO includes JJTrek plot point of the destruction of Vulcan and we have the red matter capacitor. Have you read the agreement? Got a background in copyright law? I'm not saying it is fine, I'm saying this is a possible grey area that is beyond our ability to say one way or another. As someone who works for a law firm and has a training in European law, grey areas are everywhere and only sometimes settled (usually with one party seeing what they can get away with and whether the other party complains / not doing what is probably okay because they don't want the hassle with the other party raising issue).
  • mainamaina Member Posts: 430 Arc User

CBS Licenses all trek, movies or series. If you want to sell toys of the JJverse movies, you license them from CBS Consumer products.

Two things that don't really matter, both Paramount and CBS are owned by the same company, and Karl Urban rocked the part of Dr. Mcoy.

gHF1ABR.jpg