test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Stupid question: How do I install STO?

I'm trying to re-install the game using PlayOnMac, but for the life of me I can't find the option to download the game anywhere on the STO site.

Help?
NJ9oXSO.png
"Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
-Thomas Marrone

Comments

• psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    That's why I want to run it through PlayOnMac. ;)

How do I download the "standard", non-Mac version?
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    Oh, well in that case you need ARC

http://www.arcgames.com/en/about/client

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • kavasekavase Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    People were having issues with "playonmac" with STO also. Not sure if it's still an issue.

You can also try steam.
    Retired. I'm now in search for that perfect space anomaly.
    Note that while you have to install through Arc, once the game is installed you can launch using the .exe in the game directory. You never have to actually use Arc again after the initial install.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    Note that while you have to install through Arc...

Steam is also an option. Although I'm not sure about Macs.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    So I install Arc through PlayOnMac, then install STO, also through PlayOnMac, then I can delete Arc?

Can somebody give me step-by-step instructions on how to do this? :P
    NJ9oXSO.png
    -Thomas Marrone
    So I install Arc through PlayOnMac, then install STO, also through PlayOnMac, then I can delete Arc?

Can somebody give me step-by-step instructions on how to do this? :P

I don't think you can actually "delete" Arc, because it might uninstall the games you have downloaded through Arc. But you never actually have to run the Arc client after you're done downloading the game. You can just launch using the STO .exe in the game directory.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    So I downloaded Arc and went through the PlayOnMac installation. It says it installed correctly but I can't find it anywhere on my computer, not even in the Applications folder. Now what?
    NJ9oXSO.png
    -Thomas Marrone
  • johnthomas02johnthomas02 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    I found this link to an STO installation file:

download.perfectworld.com/sto/star_trek_setup.exe

As far as playing the game using PlayOnMac...

I don't have an apple computer, but I sometimes use PlayOnLinux, which I believe is a similar program. You probably have to open PlayOnMac and you should see the game listed there and an option to run it. I don't think you'll see the game listed in your program files.
    edited February 2016
    So I downloaded Arc and went through the PlayOnMac installation. It says it installed correctly but I can't find it anywhere on my computer, not even in the Applications folder. Now what?

I don't have a Mac, so I can't really help you find it. But this is the directory on my PC:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Perfect World Entertainment\Star Trek Online_en\Star Trek Online\Live

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    I mean I can't find Arc itself. Haven't even gotten to STO yet.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    -Thomas Marrone
    I mean I can't find Arc itself. Haven't even gotten to STO yet.

If you open PlayOnMac, is Arc not listed? If that's the case, then you'll probably need to install STO without using Arc. The following link shoud work:

edited February 2016
    If you open PlayOnMac, is Arc not listed? If that's the case, then you'll probably need to install STO without using Arc. The following link shoud work:

I found "Arc_" under Users/Apple/PlayOnMac's virtual drives, but it just contains a bunch of folders and cfg files. No application.

I'll try your link. Just a minute...

EDIT: Seems to be working! I can't log into the game at the moment, but I'll give it a try as soon as I get home. :)
    NJ9oXSO.png
    -Thomas Marrone
  • rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    Hope everything works out! :smile:

I found "Arc_" under Users/Apple/PlayOnMac's virtual drives, but it just contains a bunch of folders and cfg files. No application.

I'll try your link. Just a minute...

EDIT: Seems to be working! I can't log into the game at the moment, but I'll give it a try as soon as I get home. :)

I hope it works. I also want to warn you that you might get stuck on the "New Dawn" screen the first time you load the game. Leave the program open and just ride it out. The first time I used PlayOnLinux I was stuck on that screen for almost 40 minutes. Now it takes about 5 minutes to move past that screen. I really don't know why it takes so long compared to loading on windows. I read somewhere that it's because the way the program communicates with the game servers.
    So I was able to load up and patch the launcher, and sat through the New Dawn screen (40 minutes, just like you said) but then the game crashed just before switching to the character screen. I tried again and the same thing happened, but this time the wait was about normal.

Also, my antivirus pops up with a warning about a "Phishing site" when I load the launcher. I chose to block it both times; is that something I need to worry about?
    NJ9oXSO.png
    -Thomas Marrone
    edited February 2016
    So I was able to load up and patch the launcher, and sat through the New Dawn screen (40 minutes, just like you said) but then the game crashed just before switching to the character screen. I tried again and the same thing happened, but this time the wait was about normal.

Also, my antivirus pops up with a warning about a "Phishing site" when I load the launcher. I chose to block it both times; is that something I need to worry about?

I've never had the issue with a phishing site warning so I'm afraid I can't help you there.

I did look up some screenshots of PlayOnMac and it looks virtually identical to PlayOnLinux so hopefully the following will help:

1) Open PlayOnMac
    2) Click Tools->Manage Wine Versions
    3) See if version 1.7.43 is listed under installed versions. If not, install the 32 bit version. If it is, close the Manage Wine window.
    4) Click on Star Trek Online, but don't play it. Instead click configure.
    5) Under the general tab, make sure the wine version is 1.7.43
    6) Under the wine tab, click configure wine.
    7) In the wine configuration screen, go to the applications tab and set your windows version to windows 7 and click apply.
    8) Go to the graphics tab and make sure that "Automatically capture the mouse in full screen windows" and "Emulate a virtual desktop" are both checked. Set the desktop size to the size of your screen. Click OK
    9) Go to the install components tab on the PlayOnMac configuration window.
    10) Install Microsoft Core Fonts, d3dx9, and Tahoma
    11) Close and reopen PlayOnMac.

Hopefully this will get the game running. Good luck.
    Tahoma and d3dx9 don't seem to want to finish installing. They get to the end of the download, but the blue bar just stays where it is and nothing changes. It's been running for more than two hours now. :(
    NJ9oXSO.png
    -Thomas Marrone
    Tahoma and d3dx9 don't seem to want to finish installing. They get to the end of the download, but the blue bar just stays where it is and nothing changes. It's been running for more than two hours now. :(

Any luck getting it to work?

If not, try installing Tahoma and d3dx9 one at a time and restarting the program after each installation.
    edited February 2016
    I still wasn't able to install them, but it appears the former steps were all I needed. STO works now. :)

Thank you guys for all your help!

EDIT: One more question. How do I access screenshots and demorecords? In the old version I could just "Show Package Contents" on my STO application and go from there, but that doesn't seem to yield the same file structures this time around.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    -Thomas Marrone