test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Move Temporal Ambassador to Future Proof

It was never a good fit with the Klingon War arc is was tacked onto, for Klingons it follows the Hirogen mission and for Romulans it is linked to the Tal Shiar arc. Now we have Future Proof - it would make sense to add it in there, no? It is about time travel, has Captain Walker and as it isn't remembered; for the current episodes it could take place at any time (does that count as a pun?) so it doesn't disrupt the current player timeline.

The only issue I can think post level 60, the Ambassador Class you get would now be very behind the times so perhaps that might need an upgrade, I don't know. *cough* Free T6 Ambassador *cough*

Comments

• kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    That would actually make sense.
    +1
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    +1, but find a way to replace it so leveling isn't affected by it.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    I can see your point but I think it's the only other freebie ship from a mission you get in the game aside from the shipyard stuff and I'd hate to lose that.
    <3
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    You mean like they'd string all the time travel episodes together on TV so that they'd "fit"? :*

Except they didn't do that either, because it would be lame.
  • happyhappyj0yj0yhappyhappyj0yj0y Member Posts: 699 Arc User
    So... move the mission that gives you a plot-involved Commander- level ship to the very last levels of the game, when you'll have out levelled it 2x over in order to make that ship entirely worthless?

Uh... no.
    So... move the mission that gives you a plot-involved Commander- level ship to the very last levels of the game, when you'll have out levelled it 2x over in order to make that ship entirely worthless?

Uh... no.

Sounds like the perfect time to make the T5 version a permanent reward, or even add a T6 version.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,100 Arc User
    Yeah ... just switch it to the T5 Ambassador/Klingon Thing.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    They just awarded the T5 Ambassador as a giveaway not too long ago, so the genie's already out of the bottle. Yes please.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
    edited February 2016
    Sounds like the perfect time to make the T5 version a permanent reward, or even add a T6 version.

Problems being...

Cryptic is moving toward limited time rewards. So we aren't likely to see it return in any permanent fashion, ever. I think they want to the precedent to tell everyone that if you don't get it well you can, then you can't get it so you'll feel forced to log in. So... they aren't about to do that.

It still leaves the Commander version in limbo and makes it a completely worthless reward.

Cryptic isn't super prone to handing out free T5 ships, even now that T6 exists.

By the time you would hit Temporal Ambassador, were it moved, you wouldn't even be in T5 ships anymore for the most part, you'll be in T6. Which means... you'd still get an outdated vessel as the reward even if they did give you the T5.

And Cryptic sure as hell isn't going to hand you an outdated T3, and T5 ship then introduce and hand you a shiny new T6 Ambassador. If they make an Ambassador for T6 (which they will at some point I'm sure) they're going to make it a limited-time-force-you-to-log-in reward or make you pay for it. Because... Cryptic.

Making a constant free T5 Ambassador Class would probably cut into the Fleet version's sales, which will run the consumer twenty bucks in fleet modules, and a bushel of fleet credits (which tend to cost a lot of folks dilithium, which is peachy in Cryptic's eyes because spending it tends to cut into a lot of people's ability to trade for Zen, thus making it more likely they'll buy with cash). And even in the modern era of T6 ships the Fleet Ambassador isn't an uncommon sight, as a lot of people really like the ship design, and it's setup isn't terrible.

So.... good luck with that.
  • alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    Agreed, makes zero sense to move the mission. As the man said, even a T5 Ambassador would be obsolete.
    Also, I really don't see any reason period to move it. Think of it as an encounter and foreshadowing during one of your routine patrols early in your career. I mean its not like everything has to happen to you all at once.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    eer Temporal Ambassador is not really a time travel episode as such, its about an alternate time line caused by a previous accidental time travel incident.
    so its not based in the past or future like an actual time travel episode would be.
    Agreed, makes zero sense to move the mission. As the man said, even a T5 Ambassador would be obsolete.
    Also, I really don't see any reason period to move it. Think of it as an encounter and foreshadowing during one of your routine patrols early in your career. I mean its not like everything has to happen to you all at once.

funnily enough that's the whole reason of time, to stop everything happening all at once.
    Post edited by bobbydazlers on

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    Yeah, "Temporal Ambassador" is likely where it is, because it precedes the Wasteland arc in all factions (since the Azure Nebula is within spitting distance to Nimbus III). The devs have already explained that this factors in mission placement and leveling (this is why Sol is in the Beta Quadrant).

Moving something simply because of theme is kinda silly, and the veiled attempt at a free ship handout is... futile.

"Temporal Ambassador" is fine where it is.
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
    Cryptic is moving toward limited time rewards. So we aren't likely to see it return in any permanent fashion, ever. I think they want to the precedent to tell everyone that if you don't get it well you can, then you can't get it so you'll feel forced to log in. So... they aren't about to do that.

umm, only "Alien" ships are limited time rewards ... faction ships are not ... and the Temporal Ambassador ships are faction ships ...

Also, one consistently free T6 would be a great PR move for Cryptic, and they would still make money on the Fleet T6 version. That being said, I highly doubt any of this is going to happen.
    eaY7Xxu.png
    Let's not forget that there are already two time travel storylines in the Klingon War: the Devidian arc and the Past Imperfect arc. Slamming another one right after those seems too much.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
    edited February 2016
    deleted due to lovely mobile device formatting issues....
    Post edited by happyhappyj0yj0y on
    *sigh* ... let's try this again without the mobile device. Really wish Cryptic would fix it so when posting from phones and the like that formatting actually works...
    umm, only "Alien" ships are limited time rewards ... faction ships are not ... and the Temporal Ambassador ships are faction ships ...

Also, one consistently free T6 would be a great PR move for Cryptic, and they would still make money on the Fleet T6 version. That being said, I highly doubt any of this is going to happen.

The T5 Ambassador IS(was) a limited time reward, as noted by the fact it's no longer available. So that kinda shoots your theory on alien ships out of the sky.

Also, if you want to ignore outliers, like you did, ships aren't given away as mission rewards. So ignoring the aberrant cases shoots your idea in the foot as much as paying attention to them does. Your argument fails either way.

As far as good PR moves go... well, when has Cryptic ever made a good PR move? They promote people who openly malign their customer base on twitter. They release misinformation that is, by default, going to incite rage in the average customer then blame them for jumping to conclusions. They.... *sigh* ... it would be quicker and easier to point out what Cryptic gets right on this front: Nothing. Absolutely nothing. And they don't ever, ever learn from their myriad mistakes, so don't expect this to change. The fact that you think this would be a GOOD PR move is the surest sign it will NEVER happen.
  • azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    I'm with the 'leave it where it is' crowd.

Star Trek series often had 'one off' breather episodes within the middle of story arcs, I don't see why it's so inappropriate for STO to do the same.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    Leave it where it's at, or even move it earlier so people get more use out of the ship. On my newest alt I was 1 episode away from out-leveling it after doing Temporal Ambassador.

Cryptic giving everyone a T5 or T6 ship for a single story episode outside of any event? Not going to happen.
    *sigh* ... let's try this again without the mobile device. Really wish Cryptic would fix it so when posting from phones and the like that formatting actually works...

The T5 Ambassador IS(was) a limited time reward, as noted by the fact it's no longer available. So that kinda shoots your theory on alien ships out of the sky.

Also, if you want to ignore outliers, like you did, ships aren't given away as mission rewards. So ignoring the aberrant cases shoots your idea in the foot as much as paying attention to them does. Your argument fails either way.

As far as good PR moves go... well, when has Cryptic ever made a good PR move? They promote people who openly malign their customer base on twitter. They release misinformation that is, by default, going to incite rage in the average customer then blame them for jumping to conclusions. They.... *sigh* ... it would be quicker and easier to point out what Cryptic gets right on this front: Nothing. Absolutely nothing. And they don't ever, ever learn from their myriad mistakes, so don't expect this to change. The fact that you think this would be a GOOD PR move is the surest sign it will NEVER happen.

T5 Ambassador as limited time only is a relic from a discontinued approach to featured episodes. Making the higher level version permanently available would simply bring that episode up to the current times, where feature episodes no longer have limited time rewards.

And I do agree that none of this will ever happen, as I said earlier.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • themadrigogsthemadrigogs Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    mhall85 wrote: »
    Yeah, "Temporal Ambassador" is likely where it is, because it precedes the Wasteland arc in all factions (since the Azure Nebula is within spitting distance to Nimbus III).

I take it you haven't looked at a map recently.

• mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    mhall85 wrote: »
    Yeah, "Temporal Ambassador" is likely where it is, because it precedes the Wasteland arc in all factions (since the Azure Nebula is within spitting distance to Nimbus III).

I take it you haven't looked at a map recently.

I have. "Spitting distance" doesn't mean "next door."

Azure and Nimbus were a lot closer in the days of Tau Dewa Sector Block... but, it's not terrible now. I garuantee you that "Temporal Ambassador" is where it is in the mission journal because of its proximity to Wasteland.
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    Temporal Ambassador works where it is. You're between assignments, get word of something unusual, and are sent to investigate. *shrug*
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    The best case scenario, for me, would be to move the Romulan Reputation cutscene/daily missions into an arc of their own, and put Temporal Ambassador somewhere in there.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    -Thomas Marrone
  • captainbmoneycaptainbmoney Member Posts: 1,323 Arc User
    I agree. Would love to see a T6 Ambassador as well.

Like my fanpage!
    https://www.facebook.com/CaptainBMoney913
  • sgtslaughter#7294 sgtslaughter Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    [Modded]
    Post edited by jodarkrider on
  • azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    They could make it so that if you go back and replay Temporal Ambassador after reaching lvl 50, it rewards a T5 ship.
  • isthisscienceisthisscience Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    The best case scenario, for me, would be to move the Romulan Reputation cutscene/daily missions into an arc of their own, and put Temporal Ambassador somewhere in there.

Not actually a bad idea, though not for reasons of linking it to TA. I love the fact the Romulan Reputation has its own story arc but now it is just one of several, I guess fewer new players would go through it before they play Step Between. Because of how closely it ties in, I've always considered it an important part of the story and ought to be part of the main progression. That being said, I don't think neutering the Romulan Rep of what makes it awesome is exactly a good thing and perhaps what we need is more side arcs that aren't part of the main progression but still feed into it.
  • stobg2015stobg2015 Member Posts: 800 Arc User
    Apart from the rewards, another reason to leave the episode alone is because it doesn't really fit in Future Proof.

It is a very integral part of the pre-50 Delta Recruit storyline due to the necessity of completing the Iconian investigation therein, which would need to be moved and reworked if they changed it.

It doesn't fit very well after the Iconian War, either.
    (The Guy Formerly And Still Known As Bluegeek)
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    I say leave it where it is.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • vampeiyrevampeiyre Member Posts: 633 Arc User
    Well, that mission is where it is as it introduces Tholians meddling with time, and slots into you transitioning into the Romulus mission, likely wouldn't, nor shouldn't be moved.

As far as T6 Ambassador, that's pretty much what the Guardian cruiser is, visually and functionally. Its visual design is like 95% copied from Andrew Probert's original concept art for what he wanted the Ambassador to be for the "Yesterday's Enterprise" episode, but he had to redesign it to what it is now because of budget restrictions.

Sorry slugger, looks like you struck out.
    "I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am."