test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Gravity Waves Confirmed

mcscarypantsmcscarypants Member Posts: 70 Arc User
edited February 2016 in Ten Forward
Just a little real world science update for my fellow space geeks. Seems the brains over at the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory (aka LIGO) have confirmed yet another bit Einstein's theory of General Relativity. Gravitational Waves. Ripples in the fabric of space time.

GO SCIENCE!

Of course, my question is always, what's next? B)
Post edited by jodarkrider on

Comments

• daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    I thought Captain Sulu and the crew of the Excelsior confirmed that way back in Star Trek VI...

https://youtu.be/zoK-tPS_bYE

B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    einstein-head-dance.gif
    <3
    edited February 2016
    twg042370 wrote: »
    einstein-head-dance.gif
    I knew I'd seen those "gravity waves" somewhere else!
    B)
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
  • bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    So... warp drives next week?
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
    bernatk wrote: »

Then we'll be doing this dance...

https://youtu.be/tkplPbd2f60

B)
  • billmorgan3billmorgan3 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    I'm not a scientist but even i know this news is HUGE.
  • cuchulainn74cuchulainn74 Member Posts: 831 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    And astonishingly, the key data was collected in 20 milliseconds of observation! 20 Milliseconds of binary black hole interaction. Just... WOW! Faraday and Einstein's legacies can't be overstated.

Also just for mind blowing consideration, this quote:
    Thursday’s discovery, which is detailed in a paper in Physical Review Letters, opens the door to an entirely new branch of astronomy, a way to listen to the universe in addition to seeing it.

“The frequency of these waveforms are in the human hearing range. We can hear gravitational waves, we can hear the universe. That’s one of the beautiful things about this. We are not only going to be seeing the universe, we’re going to be listening,” said LIGO physicist Gabriela Gonzalez, with Louisiana State University.
    Fleet Admiral CuChulainn - U.S.S. Aegis KT Intel Dreadnought Cruiser
    vGdvFsX.jpg

• nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    I dunno. I find it just a bit over hyped. "We've confirmed yet again the universe works the way we've thought it does for the last century". Um, yay? The proof of frame dragging two plus years ago pretty much already nailed that down (a bit more gravity 'currents' than waves, I suppose). Earth's own gravitational field isn't as sexy as colliding hyper-masses, but its a LOT closer.

It's pretty much just saying that mass/gravity information -- like light information -- propagates at (wait for it)... the speed of light. Which is what we've been seeing without contradiction for quite a while now.
    nikeix wrote: »
    I dunno. I find it just a bit over hyped. "We've confirmed yet again the universe works the way we've thought it does for the last century". Um, yay? The proof of frame dragging two plus years ago pretty much already nailed that down (a bit more gravity 'currents' than waves, I suppose). Earth's own gravitational field isn't as sexy as colliding hyper-masses, but its a LOT closer.

It's pretty much just saying that mass/gravity information -- like light information -- propagates at (wait for it)... the speed of light. Which is what we've been seeing without contradiction for quite a while now.

But isn't this the beauty of science, and what sets it apart from faith? Nothing is held sacred; nothing is believed as truth, until it's objectively proven by the data. So to see a century-old theory become at last accepted as Fact is pretty special.
    vGdvFsX.jpg

• farranorfarranor Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    Remember when CERN found neutrinos moving faster than the speed of light? Remember when every time NASA thinks they've found extraterrestrial life and/or liquid water? Because I certainly do.
    farranor wrote: »
    Remember when CERN found neutrinos moving faster than the speed of light? Remember when every time NASA thinks they've found extraterrestrial life and/or liquid water? Because I certainly do.

Those things were only "reported" though. This was actually announced at a press briefing, which typically means the data has been verified and accepted. Which isn't to say they may never be proven wrong, but it's far from "faster than light" and "ET" reports.
    vGdvFsX.jpg

• antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    Well, confirming a piece of a theory through previously unobserved evidence is a big deal in science (theory that fits facts, cool - theory that fits facts that haven't yet been found - much cooler)
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • farranorfarranor Member Posts: 559 Arc User

Those things were only "reported" though. This was actually announced at a press briefing, which typically means the data has been verified and accepted. Which isn't to say they may never be proven wrong, but it's far from "faster than light" and "ET" reports.

You don't think there were press briefings for those things? Of course there were. Everyone loves to think they've made a breakthrough and changed the world as they know it. Unfortunately, it turns out that that's a difficult feat for good reason. I'll keep an eye on this for the next few years, waiting for more verification.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User

You don't think there were press briefings for those things? Of course there were. Everyone loves to think they've made a breakthrough and changed the world as they know it. Unfortunately, it turns out that that's a difficult feat for good reason. I'll keep an eye on this for the next few years, waiting for more verification.

The Neutrino thing was also pretty clearly stated as: "We don't think this is right, but we can't find the mistake. So we present all the data and ask the scientific community to tell us what we got wrong, or if we actually found something."
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.

The Neutrino thing was also pretty clearly stated as: "We don't think this is right, but we can't find the mistake. So we present all the data and ask the scientific community to tell us what we got wrong, or if we actually found something."

Exactly. And this discovery has already been through extensive peer review prior to announcement. Very exciting stuff.
    vGdvFsX.jpg

• thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
    ...real world science update for my fellow space geeks...

This is the Star Trek Online General Discussion forum thread. Things like the OP don't belong in the GAME discussion thread. Try 10-Forward or with your fleet/zone in game chat channels whose topics or current discussions are OOC.

Otherwise keep this forum as meta/in-character but always on topic. You'll thank me in the long run.

Peace! And Long Life,

T9​​
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
  • crypticrockcrypticrock Member Posts: 120 Cryptic Developer
    daveyny wrote: »

B)

It's just a jump to the left...
  • primar13primar13 Member Posts: 1,896 Bug Hunter
    vqRUqVO.gif
  • crypticrockcrypticrock Member Posts: 120 Cryptic Developer
    I am so in love with this thread. I was really excited when I read the report, and am glad to see our players were as well.

YAY SCIENCE!
  • jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    Moving to more appropriate forum category.
    /Moved

That being said, this is interesting discovery for sure and was a bit a excited for sure. Here's onto hope for more interesting scientific discoveries :)
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    Loved this. I watched the live stream. It's like the Earth just got another 'sense' and we got a whiff of that double black hole. The Japan Interferometer sounds interesting too as they're building it underground.
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    Gravity waves?!!!! :/

SURFS UP!!!! B)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7c2ZKamzS4

edited February 2016

B)

...and then a step to the riiiiiiiight....

B)
  • mmps1mmps1 Member Posts: 381 Arc User
    You win again gravity!
    "Mr talks down to the peasants."
  • jarenriccarjarenriccar Member Posts: 248 Arc User

B)

...and then a step to the riiiiiiiight....

B)
    put your hands on your hips!

27507930894_3855d74146_o.jpg

• gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    So cool! I go to a con in March and they usually have a hard science panel or two...between this and the calculations indicating a possible Planet Nine, I am gonna have a blast at those panels!

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    Umm.. there can be no 9th planet...

It's not cannon...
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,364 Arc User
    You don't usually fire planets out of a cannon, no. Not unless you're a Lensman, anyway - that series did use planets as kinetic weapons from time to time...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png