test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Sojourner Class Appreciation Thread

alphahydrialphahydri Member Posts: 391 Arc User
I just wanted to give a huge shoutout to Mr. Thomas Marrone (I'm afraid I don't know your forum handle!) for designing what is, in my honest opinion, one of the most beautiful Starfleet ship designs to ever grace Star Trek Online. Behold, in all her glory, the SOJOURNER CLASS!
Sojourner%20Class_zpsmkksthd2.png
What I love most about this design is the way it incorporates elements from nearly every past Enterprise incarnation, excluding the NX-01 and to some extent the original Enterprise. These are just the distinctive features I've noticed so far:

- Deflector style is comparable to that of the Constitution Refit
- Ribbing on the "necks" connecting the saucer to the stardrive section is reminiscent of the neck on the Excelsior
- Straight, angular, 90-degree configuration of the pylons is like the pylons of both the Excelsior and Ambassador
- Nacelles are wide and squared off, not exactly the same as but similar to the Ambassador and Galaxy nacelles
- Saucer shape is near-identical to the Galaxy's saucer
- Overall profile of the stardrive section borrows some elements of the Sovereign class, as does the OG Odyssey

The design truly is a combination of features and traits from every past Enterprise put together, which sort of gives it a timeless and nostalgic quality that I can't get enough of. Also, the way the arrowhead-like front of the stardrive section goes under the oval-shaped saucer section makes a design that is reminiscent of a combage or the Starfleet insignia, which has become one of the biggest symbols of the Star Trek franchise!

I humbly thank you, Mr. Marrone, for creating such a gorgeous starship that evokes so much of her predecessors for the community to fly around in! I can't wait to get my hands on it this Thursday! Until then, I'll just keep fangirling like mad while admiring this stunning photo! THANK YOU!

Comments

• semalda226semalda226 Member Posts: 1,994 Arc User
    It's is quite pretty isn't it
    tumblr_mxl2nyOKII1rizambo1_500.png

• seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Love this design, unfortunately.. it's attached to the 'Engineering Variant' of the 3 pack which is always the worst ship.

Getting this skin on the Tactical or Science Variant (AKA the Good ones) would mean buying the 3 pack.

The design however, is fantastic in my opinion. I hope they do a similar job with the T6 Sovereign one day soon.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    I do kinda like what they're doing but I just don't know if it's worth it for yet another Command based Cruiser... :(
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    I prefer these T6 Odyssey skins way more than the T5 ones. I couldn't stand those, especially the nacelles. One thing I wish they'd drop from the new models was the double-neck structure. Oh well.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • cryptkeeper0cryptkeeper0 Member Posts: 989 Arc User
    Love this design, unfortunately.. it's attached to the 'Engineering Variant' of the 3 pack which is always the worst ship.

Getting this skin on the Tactical or Science Variant (AKA the Good ones) would mean buying the 3 pack.

The design however, is fantastic in my opinion. I hope they do a similar job with the T6 Sovereign one day soon.
    Ops oddy isn't that bad, though I am now partial to the science one as far as t5-u goes.

• meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    Pardon my ignorance, but SOJOURNER CLASS!? I don't think I've seen that yet in STO.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    I suspect the ENG and SCI versions were given the nicest skins so we'd get the 3 pack :D.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • davideightdavideight Member Posts: 458 Arc User
    yet, the picture of it seems to be deranged, it looks as if the left pic side saucer is more broad than the right side part o0 something happened to that picture or perspective somehow making it look uneven ^^ but to be honest, im more into the sci variant this time. its the right portion of iteration for a "facelift" . though i must say im curious about the broader saucer of the operation variant indeed. could even be oval like the galaxy one.
  • davideightdavideight Member Posts: 458 Arc User
    yet i think tactical variant is overrated. as long as the sci-oddy has a defenete sci ltcom, id get that one, slotting a tac into the universal/command hybrid. i just hope they make a ltcom-carreer one on those and not only a lt one. (then they would be exactly like comm BCs, just ... worse ...)

• tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    As someone who primarily flies Sci vessels... I'm a sucker for for a well formed Deflector.

And this beaut has it in spades... Beyond the deflector itself, the housing around it evokes a certain mystery of what other space-magic goodness may hidden within.

Agreed though, from this initial pic, a beautiful ship to be sure.
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    I'm gonna need more angles on all of them before I subscribe fully to a bandwagon, but Sojourner is definitely my early favorite. I reserve the right to call it awful names in the event it looks terrible from other angles.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    It is certainly nice looking, at least in this shot.

But I am not there yet to pick a favorite.
    tousseau wrote: »
    As someone who primarily flies Sci vessels... I'm a sucker for for a well formed Deflector.

And this beaut has it in spades... Beyond the deflector itself, the housing around it evokes a certain mystery of what other space-magic goodness may hidden within.

Agreed though, from this initial pic, a beautiful ship to be sure.

A good looking Deflector is surely important. It's why all the Recon Science Vessel (Luna et. al) fail.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    jexsamx wrote: »
    I'm gonna need more angles on all of them before I subscribe fully to a bandwagon, but Sojourner is definitely my early favorite. I reserve the right to call it awful names in the event it looks terrible from other angles.

I'm with you on that one. Often these promotional pics are deliberately taken in a way to hide the model's less fancy parts and are often taken from angles that play with proportions.
    artan42 wrote: »
    I suspect the ENG and SCI versions were given the nicest skins so we'd get the 3 pack :D.​​

It works, dosen't it? Layout wise the engi was always the weakest one (tough at 5u the sci kinda got shafted with an 5th engi slot), it's only saving grace was the turn rate boost from the separated shephron. But if that's not a thing anymore it would be left in the dust without some fancy looks.
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    Looks like the Sovereign a bit, I approve
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
      I'm undecided. While this variant doesn't look bad (certainly better than a lot of Cryptic's other designs) I don't get a "retro" vibe at all. It looks like a pumped up Sovereign pretty much. Saucer should be rounder, her butt should be bigger and I don't like the lego-nacelles Starfleet's modern ships get - but at least they keep a consistent design, which is a plus.​​
      lFC4bt2.gif
      ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
      "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
      "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
      "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    • mmps1mmps1 Member Posts: 381 Arc User
      Space Barbie is the real endgame and I'm going to kitbash the hell out of these ships. It is the nicest stand-alone variant though.
      "Mr talks down to the peasants."
    • alphahydrialphahydri Member Posts: 391 Arc User
      davideight wrote: »
      yet, the picture of it seems to be deranged, it looks as if the left pic side saucer is more broad than the right side part o0 something happened to that picture or perspective somehow making it look uneven ^^ but to be honest, im more into the sci variant this time. its the right portion of iteration for a "facelift" . though i must say im curious about the broader saucer of the operation variant indeed. could even be oval like the galaxy one.
      LOL, It's just the perspective/angle the photo was taken at. Thomas Marrone confirmed on his Twitter that the saucer is indeed symmetrical and oval-shaped like the Galaxy's saucer.
    • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
      meimeitoo wrote: »
      Pardon my ignorance, but SOJOURNER CLASS!? I don't think I've seen that yet in STO.

On Twitter the devs have actual class names for each of the new flagship variants.
      Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
      eaY7Xxu.png

On Twitter the devs have actual class names for each of the new flagship variants.

Thx for the explanation. :) Found em. So it's actually the new T6 Tactical Star Cruiser - Endeavor Class -- that looks a mite klunky?!
      3lsZz0w.jpg
    • tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
      *gasps... biting his knuckle...*
    • samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
      Goddamn a pretty version of the Odyssey? Well TRIBBLE me with a chainsaw!

Jokes aside the traits on the tactical and science variants both look amazballs for us science peeps and once again like the CBC'S the engineering one has the good skin... lol
    • samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
      Switch out the nacelles and Pylons and it'll be a beefed up Sovvy, one of my favorite designs.
    • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
      It's a good way to sell a 3 pack. Give one of the ships the best trait, give another the coolest skin/parts, give another the best console. Bam.
      When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
      Meanwhile, I *still* don't know whether they'll have the Aquarius bridges. Wthout those, I'm probably just gonna stick to my T5-U bundle.
      3lsZz0w.jpg
    • amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
      Meanwhile, I *still* don't know whether they'll have the Aquarius bridges. Wthout those, I'm probably just gonna stick to my T5-U bundle.

According to Thomas on twitter they will come with those bridges: https://twitter.com/Cryptic_TtC/status/697171546377302016
      U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
      Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
      Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
      amosov78 wrote: »

According to Thomas on twitter they will come with those bridges: https://twitter.com/Cryptic_TtC/status/697171546377302016

Cool. Thx! :)
      3lsZz0w.jpg
      All of this is going to happen Thursday, right?! *hope*
      3lsZz0w.jpg
    • tritan2409tritan2409 Member Posts: 101 Arc User
      Add me to the list of fans.

I didnt get the last flagship bundle, its always been one of those i'll "get around to eventually" but never did. Also wasnt going to be too fussed about the T6.

Having said that, when i saw the above pic a couple days back it really jumped from the page and got my attention.

She kinda looks like ( to me ) a oddy and a ambassador had a baby, i really like it for all the OP's reasons.

So well done Cryptic, you got me from a "will get one someday" to really wanting release day to come round quick.
      reyan01 wrote: »

If a 'stats' blog is released later it is probably safe to assume that the ships hit the C-store tomorrow.

YAY us! :) Thx.
      3lsZz0w.jpg
    • seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
      reyan01 wrote: »

If a 'stats' blog is released later it is probably safe to assume that the ships hit the C-store tomorrow.

That's what I hope for. Not too keen on the borts (takes alot more to make me let go of my Qib) but since I am a sucker for those fed space barbies and don't have a single scimi but always played with the thought, I might as well go for that fat pack.
    This discussion has been closed.