test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

you screwed up the scimitar

so I was looking at the new look for the scimitar and you know what? You screwed it up cryptic. there's some mean beautiful looking designs floating around the internet that would make the scimitar look evil, menacing, the ship its supposed to be. who knows maybe itll look a little better in actuality, but the picture I saw looks...U G L Y. delay the release and go back to the drawing board....better yet google t6 scimitar and ull see what a t6 scimitar should look like. nice fail craptic.

Comments

• heavensrunheavensrun Member Posts: 215 Arc User
    shinnok918 wrote: »
    so I was looking at the new look for the scimitar and you know what? You screwed it up cryptic. there's some mean beautiful looking designs floating around the internet that would make the scimitar look evil, menacing, the ship its supposed to be. who knows maybe itll look a little better in actuality, but the picture I saw looks...U G L Y. delay the release and go back to the drawing board....better yet google t6 scimitar and ull see what a t6 scimitar should look like. nice fail craptic.

So first off "evil and menacing" does not match with my idea of a Romulan Republic ship, secondly, the new Scimm looks more Romulan than the scimitar ever has. And even if it didn't, you're making a judgement of the ship based on one screenshot from one angle. Also I'm sure that cryptic is going to happily delay a release on the basis of one forum dork who deliberately misspells their name to insult them.

Oh, and you can probably use any of the existing skins anyway, so get over yourself.
  • storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User
    200_s.gif​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • snowwolf#0563 snowwolf Member Posts: 1,018 Arc User
    Evil?

Why would the Romulan Republic make an "evil" looking ship? o.O
    You can only play as nice guys, get with the program. lol.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    First point - Beauty is subjective. What looks good to you, might not look good to someone else.

Second - Unnecessary hostility. Did the artist ruin your life? My god.. tone down the hostility. You can give feedback on a design without being hostile. In fact, you might get a more positive reply using that method.

Third - Since when are Romulan ships supposed to look 'evil and menacing?' Where is this written? If you're using the original design of the Scimitar as a baseline, then I'll take this opportunity to remind you that the original Scimitar is actually a Reman design, not Romulan. The Romulans were known to make their ships particularly large in the TNG Era, hence the massive size of ships like the D'deridex. Other then that, there are only a handful of 'cannon' Romulan Ships, the most 'evil' of which is maybe the Mogai, but honestly that's kind of a stretch.

Besides, if you really hate it that much, I'm sure you can apply the T5 Scimitar Skin. It's really not worth getting all worked up over.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    I'll have to agree. Don't like the T6 Romulan look? Use the T5 Reman parts. No big deal. Most people who wanted a T6 already have the T5 so there you go. More customization options. Its not like the T5 Ody and Bort that really didn't have any options if I remember correctly. You've got... what... 6 variants to choose from now for kitbashing?
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    Firstly, the Scimitar isn't a Romulan ship. It wasn't designed by the romulans, or built by the romulans who themselves are relatively dickish. Not Evil necessarily, but not great people.

The Scimitar is a Reman ship. The Remans have a very evil aesthetic in general, they were specifically designed to look evil and intimidating. The Scimitar itself was built by these evil and intimidating, yet very oppressed, people to overthrow the Romulan government and out right destroy an entire planet. This is not a friendly ship. This is not a ship you send to friendly diplomatic events.

Granted, the OP did come of rather harsh and undeservedly angry towards the designers, but I do agree that they could have done a little more for the designs. There are some great designs out there, and this one isn't really one of them.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,386 Arc User
    This is not a friendly ship. This is not a ship you send to friendly diplomatic events.
    /!\ Tiaru Jarok will remember that.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Like the T5 version was not ugly. Ok.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • qweeble#7491 qweeble Member Posts: 164 Cryptic Developer
    Don't worry, you'll be able to use the classic Scimitar look if you so desire.
    I make space ships!
    Twitter! STO_JamJamz
  • jasonyeefongjasonyeefong Member Posts: 105 Arc User
    Evil? I see you have spent too much time with the Brotherhood of Nod. :lol:
  • dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User

Out of curiosity, how will this work? There were three T5 variations, which required purchases to use, and now there are three T6 variations. There's never been a release like this that I can think of. Which Scimitar appearance can we give them if we only own a T6 variant?

Out of curiosity, how will this work? There were three T5 variations, which required purchases to use, and now there are three T6 variations. There's never been a release like this that I can think of. Which Scimitar appearance can we give them if we only own a T6 variant?

Probably only the T6 variants. No reason to believe that they would be any different from previous ship variants.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    I've read a lot of threads in there forums, and you know what? OP, you really screwed up this post. I've read some really spectacular rants, really taking Cryptic to task for things people aren't happy with, and this thread just came out... MEH. Go back to the drawing board and try again... Better yet, Google Internet Troll and ull see what a real rant should look like. Nice fail d'Oh-P.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,784 Arc User
    I don't know. I kind of like the new look. The original one had that duck face thing going on. This one looks more, I don't know, like a catfish.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User

I suspect the Tier 5 looks will be available, too, but I am not 100 % certain.

I seem to remember that usually on Retrofits, you get the base look of the ship, too. If that was a Tier 4 ship with 3 variants (example Defiant or Intrepid), you'll get those. The Fleet Refit and Tier 5 Retrofit skins require owning those ships (if they eve have those skins).
    Of course, in this particular case it's a Tier 5 3-ship-pack.

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »

LOL, so true!
    XzRTofz.gif
  • tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,636 Arc User
    The wings work for me, but the nose not so much. If it's supposed to be a beak, it's gotten the pointy bit chopped off, poor thing.

Very likely to get a decent T6 design you'll need to buy all three and mix them together. I'm guessing that the version shown is the Sci variant (though, that's only because it precedes the Sci trait and console section), which is going to be one of the more sought after variants (for Embassy Plasma Explosion goodness). The Eng variant is probably going to look the best (like the Command Warbirds), as it has very little going for it performance wise to choose over either Sci or Tac.
  • nateham101#2745 nateham101 Member Posts: 420 Arc User
    shinnok918 wrote: »

I agree with you 100% OP :)
    1Wlp6QH.gif

LOL, so true!

It looks like it did in the movie. Nothing wrong with the T5 Scimitar at all. This new one though..yikes
    1Wlp6QH.gif
  • jaymclaughlinjaymclaughlin Member Posts: 630 Arc User
    http://imgur.com/a/IWqHI

I have to agree that the T6 Scimitar has made an evil ugly Reman ship into a child like cartoon Romulan ship.

I'm hoping there will be something I can do with the parts from the T5 and T6's that looks halfway decent.

The Odyssey got the best designs
    animated.gif
  • aliguanaaliguana Member Posts: 262 Arc User
    I don't see why the new flagship has to look like the Scimitar in any shape or form. Scimitar was built because the Republic were desperate, and it's a design the Remans had lying around. Now that they have shipyards (where?), Dyson/Iconian technology and salvaged 29thC Romulan ships, why dredge up that old design?

What would make it better, even as is, is just keep the hull and lose the "wings". A giant, floating space-brick, like a Romulan tarantula/Annorax.

Granted, we've seen one screenshot from one angle, so I reserve judgement until I've seen one up close. But definite lack of imagination going on here, design-wise (unfortunately)
    LUKARI GUERILLA GARDENING MILITIA - Glowing fingers are Growing fingers!
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Just because it looked like it did in the movie doesn't negate any perceived ugliness.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    Just because it looked like it did in the movie doesn't negate any perceived ugliness.

You would be one of the few to say that. Just saying
    1Wlp6QH.gif
  • bravecatherinebravecatherine Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    release-the-kraken-lobster-dog.jpg
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    http://imgur.com/a/IWqHI

I have to agree that the T6 Scimitar has made an evil ugly Reman ship into a child like cartoon Romulan ship.

I'm hoping there will be something I can do with the parts from the T5 and T6's that looks halfway decent.

The Odyssey got the best designs

I agree about the child like cartoon appearance of some of these newer generation of ships, which is what I was afraid of way back last year when I spotted this disturbing trend.

This isn't to talk down on those who actually do like such a trend, I am happy for them, but some of us do wish for something more 'realistic' or 'rugged' that does not seek to round out every corner so one cannot poke or cut themselves on it accidentally while playing, or enlarge parts that don't call for it so it isn't a choking hazard.

This new Scimitar does have many angles and shapes that do follow the legacy of the original, and that much I am glad for, but I can't see myself using the wings of this new model, and I hope this isn't done on purpose to 'force' us to use the T5 for kitbashes for an all-round proper ship.

As to command spec on the Scimitar (a tactical dreadnought without separation pets that uses ambush/hide as opposed to tanking), and 3 packs of existing T5 3-packs, that's a whole world of trouble for when the stats are revealed.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • gaevsprivsmangaevsprivsman Member Posts: 314 Arc User
    Well, i have the T6 Kurak, and i have the t5 parts available for use, at no cost.. so yeah, you can use the normal parts, Tomas confirmed it on twitter if i'm not mistaken. :)
  • farranorfarranor Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    kate370 wrote: »
    Evil?

Why would the Romulan Republic make an "evil" looking ship? o.O
    You can only play as nice guys, get with the program. lol.

Malon, Kazon, APU, the entire Klingon faction...
  • bravecatherinebravecatherine Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    Engineering
    Cat5YiMUEAAx5OE.jpg
    Science
    CatyY14UMAAWiol.jpg
    Tactical
    CattOx2UkAA3u74.jpg

Interesting wings. Looks better than one of the new Ody variants that went with the wide saucer. I took one look at that and was like WTF?