test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ground combat sucks and an Admiral would NEVER have to engage in it...

This is going to be an unpopular opinion, but I HATE and I mean absolutely LOATHE ground combat. HATE IT. IT SUCKS. It's no fun and I don't want to be bothered with it. I can see having to put up with it as an ensign or even a commander, but after you hit captain, it just shouldn't happen anymore. Starfleet regulations say that the captain of a ship is not to go on away missions if there is any danger, this is absolutely FORBIDDEN for admirals. They should never leave their ship, and indeed that is EXACTLY what I want. I don't want to go traipsing all over some filthy alien planet getting shot at. I want to be on my nice comfy bridge ordering my peons to go do it for me, like it is meant to be.

Can we have an option to NOT go on away missions? I mean seriously, they totally suck. I hate them. I always have. (I've been playing this game since Beta and ground combat has sucked since then.)

Comments

• deadtessadeadtessa Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    If EVERY BLOODY mission didn't have both a ground and space portion, I would just skip the ground missions altogether... but alas, that just isn't possible.
  • semalda226semalda226 Member Posts: 1,994 Arc User
    Can't say I have that issue. Nothing is more satisfying then freezing some borg in ice with endothermic induction field and then laying waste to them with a solar gateway! FIRE AND ICE BABY!
    tumblr_mxl2nyOKII1rizambo1_500.png

• ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Unfortunately, without you there it is very difficult to run the Mission, barring a supercomputer AI.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    deadtessa wrote: »
    This is going to be an unpopular opinion, but I HATE and I mean absolutely LOATHE ground combat. HATE IT. IT SUCKS. It's no fun and I don't want to be bothered with it. I can see having to put up with it as an ensign or even a commander, but after you hit captain, it just shouldn't happen anymore. Starfleet regulations say that the captain of a ship is not to go on away missions if there is any danger, this is absolutely FORBIDDEN for admirals. They should never leave their ship, and indeed that is EXACTLY what I want. I don't want to go traipsing all over some filthy alien planet getting shot at. I want to be on my nice comfy bridge ordering my peons to go do it for me, like it is meant to be.

Can we have an option to NOT go on away missions? I mean seriously, they totally suck. I hate them. I always have. (I've been playing this game since Beta and ground combat has sucked since then.)

Umm Admirals do go on away missions. They actually have to do something called DIPLOMACY. Can't do that much from the bridge of a ship. Gotta go down to that planet and sometimes, things go to hell in a hand basket. Gotta use that phaser.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    Yeah because Admiral Kirk totally did not lead an armed away team onboard Regula I after Khan's little visit.
    And Admiral Kirk totally did not leave the safety of the enterprise to see V'Ger in person.

Sorry, but your argument holds no merit.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    Yeah I really like the ice ray too. Then I burn with exothermic.

I enjoy ground more than space. Back around 3 to 4 years ago ground was pretty hard. I remember many repeated deaths in story missions. Today it is very easy. Not sure if it's all powercreep or maybe some personal improvement - probably mostly creep.

Anyway. there's a lot of cool toys now to play with.

oh, and in my mind I'm not an admiral, so it's not so unreasonable. Something like Archer or Sisko in the trenches.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    the answer to this is simple, buy iconian kit modules. then laugh the evil laugh as you destory everything with space magic.

and really since when has anyone ever listened to starfleet regs except so they angst and/or show how morally superior they are.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
    edited February 2016
    My go to Borg attack is Seismic Agitation, Elachi Subspace Rift, then Endothermic Induction, with a bit of TR116B for cleanup. Very satisfying. :)
    Post edited by ltminns on
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    Ground is just as good as the ships. Nothing like burning up Borg with a plasma Flamethrower. I think that was some good fun! Or just hack into something with my Bath'leth. There is a lot of good stuff when I do ground warfare.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    I as well, take this game absolutely seriously as a realistic simulation of being a flag officer in the Star Trek universe. Ground play, especially as an admiral, is highly immersion breaking. I have insanely high expectations for immersion and they shatter quite easily.

A line must be drawn regarding immersion. I'm tired of the near constant blatant disregard for proper adherence to canon! Flag officers doing grunt work, the wacky out of place uniforms and characters, players using the wrong weapon types for their ships! ENOUGH!

Cryptic needs to start taking this seriously, or suffer the wrath of ALL canon loyalists! FOR CANON!
  • semalda226semalda226 Member Posts: 1,994 Arc User
    Even better is when you make a Tac Alien and Shrink it's size as low as it will go and Dropkick everything! Always hilarious to dropkick a oversized Gorn as a Alien that's barely up to its shin and send it flying!
    tumblr_mxl2nyOKII1rizambo1_500.png

farmallm wrote: »
    Ground is just as good as the ships. Nothing like burning up Borg with a plasma Flamethrower. I think that was some good fun! Or just hack into something with my Bath'leth. There is a lot of good stuff when I do ground warfare.

I prefer using the quasi light saber to hack Borg to death with.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    Giving the Borg a taste of 12 gauge from the cochrane shotgun never gets old, say hello to my boomstick :D
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
      Tell Rear Admirals Callaghan and Scott who died in combat action off of Guadalcanal in 1942 about immersion.
      Judge Dan Haywood
      l don't know.
      Lt. Philip J. Minns
    • risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
      You'd rather sit behind a desk all day like Admiral Quinn, OP? Cause that's what Admirals are supposed to do...

Besides, as if space combat is that interesting with 90% of the playerbase using the same abilities. The only diversity you'll see from players in an ISA pug is some different ships, they'll all do the same though. Pew pew, fly a bit, pew pew. No need to use the environment, hide behind things for recharge etc. No different roles, everyone has access to the same abilities.
    • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
      I absolutely DESPISE ground combat, but only because it is so unbelievably poorly designed. If they had made up their mind and either went pure shooter or pure MMO, it'd be 1000 times better, but the current half and half philosophy is just terrible ... also linking abilities directly to gear (kits) is incredibly stupid
      Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
      eaY7Xxu.png
    • risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
      Ground combat is the best combat ever and the players love it!

Never done that before, thought I should give it a try.
      I absolutely DESPISE ground combat, but only because it is so unbelievably poorly designed. If they had made up their mind and either went pure shooter or pure MMO, it'd be 1000 times better, but the current half and half philosophy is just terrible ... also linking abilities directly to gear (kits) is incredibly stupid

Yeah. and Star Citizen is emulating them. I weep for that game. I really do.
      afMSv4g.jpg

• alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
      Ground combat in STO isn't that bad, at least from my limited experience with a few other MMOs which felt so generic, in the sense of you played one you played them all, that I had to uninstall immediately and never look back.

That said, ground combat does need more gamplay options, such as taking cover beside objects in the environment. climbing up or over objects, particle collisions, destructable environment features (walls, doors, crates, structures), and other aspects that make ground maps more alive such as more use of weather effects, day/night cycles, multi-story buildings, large areas and so on.
      Y945Yzx.jpg
      Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
      · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
      «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
      ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
    • chiyoumikuchiyoumiku Member Posts: 1,028 Arc User
      edited February 2016
      Wasn't it Picard in Nemesis who told Riker, "If your first officer tries to keep you on your ship, don't let him."?
      Sekhmet_Banner.jpg
      Defending The Galaxy By Breaking One Starfleet Regulation After The Next.
    • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
      Well admirals do not directly command ships or a single ship. They give directives to the captains serving under them and they do their best to achieve that directive.

That basically means as an admiral you would not have direct control over your starship instead it's actions would be determined by the AI.
    • alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
      jaguarskx wrote: »
      Well admirals do not directly command ships or a single ship. They give directives to the captains serving under them and they do their best to achieve that directive.

That basically means as an admiral you would not have direct control over your starship instead it's actions would be determined by the AI.

Admiral Kirk said hello!

"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
    • kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
      How about this OP, if you want to play like a "real admiral", go to your ship's bridge. Go to your ready room. And then only DOff and do admiralty missions. And never leave. Don't do missions, don't do events, don't do queues. Just sit at that desk and do paperwork.
      FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
      Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
    • grazyc2#7847 grazyc2 Member Posts: 1,988 Arc User
      deadtessa wrote: »

I know what you mean OP and you would want to do what sit on your bridge and wait like in some missions where you fight the alliens in space while a combat senario is played in a structure to retake it or whatever, yeah BORING. Butt what I would love is the Elite Force II idea where crew is all over the place doing part off a mission or where crew open doors for you or do something. they could make it more trek to me if they would inplement stuff like the mission where you work with TNea, Castillo and Yar where you ask there ability's and set them to do tasks that would be much more trek... But I'm afraid that will not happen as long Dev's will not see this.... But I think they could run this much better in STO so yes Ground Combat is Boring !!!!
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Coffee: the finest organic suspension ever devised. It's got me through the worst of the last three years. I beat the Borg with it."
    • xayssxayss Member Posts: 391 Arc User
      i enjoy ground nothing like doit short cut in weapons and slow the enemy and doit orbital strike upgrade for kill all enemys and extra bonus call a solar flare muahahaha
      nexus.jpg

• evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
      As a side note, if you want to stick with the "Captain doesn't leave the ship" tradition, make your FO the same race and gender as your captain, and use a costume slot to let your captain "become" your FO during ground combat
      Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
      eaY7Xxu.png
    • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
      jaguarskx wrote: »

Admiral Kirk said hello!

Admiral Kirk was not the captain, but instead an official guest on board the Enterprise. In Star Trek the Motion Picture Captain Willard Decker was the captain of Enterprise. It has been a while since I saw that movie, but Kirk did not take command of the Enterprise until near the end of the movie when Captain Decker decided to merger with V'ger. Thus removing him from the command structure of the Enterprise. I suppose it was "logical" for Kirk to assume temporary command because he was the highest ranking officer on board.

In Star Trek II - The Wrath of Kahn Admiral Kirk was not captain of the Enterprise, that honor belonged to Captain Spock; it was his ship. Admiral Kirk was on board the Enterprise as a guest because he was supervising Starfleet cadet training. Captain Spock offered temporary command to Admiral Kirk when the plot of the movie started to unfold because Spock thought it was logical to give command to Admiral Kirk because of his experience. As a result of Spock's death (thus removing him from the command structure), Admiral Kirk took temporary command of the Enterprise to bring her back to Earth Spacedock.

If you recall the beginning of the movie Jame T. Kirk regretted taking the promotion to become admiral because that promotion effectively removed Kirk from the chair on bridge of a starship to a chair behind a desk. While Admiral Kirk may have been calling the shots through Star Trek IV - The Voyage Home, he was never officially in command of any starship until the end of Star Trek IV where he was demoted down to captain because he stole the Enterprise in Star Trek III - The Search For Spock.
    This discussion has been closed.