test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Can we get some STF bosses that are more like players in terms of power?

EG, an actual full complement of weapons (most enemies only have a couple of guns) and boff skills comparable in selection to those a player would have (instead of just 3-4).

Comments

• bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    the problem is players like to win, as in most STF's you are often 5 against 50 or a very small 5 against a very large super boss the chances of winning ever would be zilch if the enemy were on equal terms with a full complement of weapons to that of the players.
    it is only the fact that they have limited fire power that makes it a battle worth fighting.

that's why some players are so eager to get PVP updated, the chance to fight 1 on 1 or 5 on 5 against enemy on an even footing.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,784 Arc User
    I don't think the players would complain. Remember when the Borg Red Alerts first came out? Those guys were strong. They had abilities that people had not come across before like the V'Ger Torpedo. Some times you did not even get to the Boss Ship. That was not terrible; that was fun.

I say: give the enemies three BOff Ability Slots and have each individual enemy get a random selection from all BOff Abilities when they spawn. It would spice things up nicely. That should not be too difficult to program, I would imagine.
  • alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    They should definitely have access to a wide array of boff and captain powers and maybe even some unique ones that would require proper strategy to beat.
    I would love to see scenarios where mindless BFAW spam = guaranteed fail.

However, rewards would also have to be worthwhile for that effort.
    The sad thing is that Cryptic got it right the first time they revamped STF's. They were challenging and hard, and the ONLY way to even beat the elites and option objectives was through planning and teamwork.
    And the rewards were grand too, with gear and unique costume unlocks solely coming from the queues, requiring you to play ALL of the STF's if you wanted the full sets, not just farm ISA ad infinitum.
    Best time I have "ever" had in STO, and sadly it didn't last and Cryptic ultimately caved to the self-entitled whiners and introduced the Omega Task Force reputation system.

In fact you are no longer even "rewarded" gear for completing the STF's, since the introduction of the reputation system they are locked behind a dilithium pay wall.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
  • burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    They should definitely have access to a wide array of boff and captain powers and maybe even some unique ones that would require proper strategy to beat.
    I would love to see scenarios where mindless BFAW spam = guaranteed fail.

So would I... BFAW spam needs to to become a solution to some problems not a solution to ALL problems (or heck, modify the enemy FBP so its not a the equivalent of firing a spitball at a tank)

..funny isn't it though, how weak enemy FBP is compared to the anti-torpedo field power terran command ships have...​​
  • semalda226semalda226 Member Posts: 1,994 Arc User
    That's because a baseline Vesta Graviton Shield has a 1.5 return rate for kinetic damage and that damage gets a 50% shield bypass. A standard unbuffed no stats FBP3 has a .3 return rate with 50% shield bypass.
    tumblr_mxl2nyOKII1rizambo1_500.png

• kavasekavase Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    Would be nice to see for Elite difficultly.

Only thing that happens with increased difficulty here is, increased HP/Damage/More enemies. The AI is very bad in this game.
    Retired. I'm now in search for that perfect space anomaly.
    The sad thing is that the new Mirror Universe enemies are ten times more dangerous than the borg with their use of abilities.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    Harbingers and M'tara were just as dangerous
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
      • Voth V-Rex (neutered by Power Creep)
      • Voth Citadel Dreadnoughts (neutered by Power Creep, but can be annoying)
      • Borg Command Ships (neutered by Power Creep)
      • Assimilated Scimitar in Kitomer Space (neutered by Power Creep)
      • Rebecca Simmons in Infected Ground (neutered by TR-116, but still have to actually get to her)
      • Assimilated Vo'Quv in Cure Space (LOL easiest boss fight ever. No Power Creep involved)
      • Borg Guy in Cure Ground (neutered by TR-116 and Power Creep)
      • Borg Guy in Kitomer Ground (neutered by TR-116 and Power Creep, but still a decent fight... I think)
      • Borg Queen's Diamond in Hive Space (Still a pretty tough fight, but is getting neutered by Power Creep)
      • Borg Queen in Hive Ground (Still a tough fight, but Power Creep and TR-116 even the odds a bit)
      • Gaul at the end of the Delta arc
      • Parasite enhanced Vaadwaur on the Lieset
      • Crystaline Entity (neutered by Power Creep)
      • Undine Planet Killers (neutered by Power Creep)
      • Vaadwaur Dreadnought in Korfez (Getting to it is the problem.)

Most of the bosses we face are pretty much cannon fodder now due to power creep, and the fact we're facing them in a group. The only ones left other than the Borg Queen that are still a threat are story mission bosses that we face alone. The only true raid style boss entity we have is the Crystaline Entity, and we've learned how to fight it to the point its not really a challenge. The only time it is one is when we have the annual event, and that is only because we have random things happening.
      db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
      I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
      The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
      edited February 2016
      Removed due to computer somehow loading wrong thread...or I'm drunk :expressionless:

Go home semalda. You're a drunk wolf. :p
      db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
      I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
      The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
      The devs have tried harder enemies on more than one occasion.

The best example was when they mistakenly let a new form of harder Romulan D'deridex npc into the game.

The forums burned under the crying of how hard they were to kill, when in reality, they just needed more thought than just randomly mashing buttons...
      Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
      Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
      What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
      3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

I don't know how plausible that would be in STO, as the tech would have to be able to do that with ANY ship we fly. And what if our character is not waring a uniform, or is wearing a Mirror Uniform?

While the tech may already exist in CO, STO is a different animal in terms of character development.

Not to mention you can nerf your mirror counterpart by flying a T2 Cruiser instead of a T6.

And I don't think the +1 Beard would work with a lot of our characters. I mean... bearded Gorn, or in my case bearded FEMALE Trill?
      I think I'll stick with the scar on the face instead when I wear mirror uniforms.
    • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
      sunfrancks wrote: »
      The devs have tried harder enemies on more than one occasion.

The best example was when they mistakenly let a new form of harder Romulan D'deridex npc into the game.

The forums burned under the crying of how hard they were to kill, when in reality, they just needed more thought than just randomly mashing buttons...

This is true.

The reality is that STO resides in a stagnant state of near coma. All people care about is their dps, dps is only measured via unsuported third-party-tool on a single map and when anything happens to interfere with the dps routines one learned by heart at this point to TRIBBLE with the numbers people RAGE. It happened, Borg used more abilities at one point and it might have happened you needed to "chase" a Borg sphere around infected, thus thwarting your dps numbers. People screamed so hard their heads went red and tears were flowing. Then Cryptic reverted all changes and probably dedcided to never, ever do something like this again.

I, like @alexraptorr , think STFs were best when you had to actually play them for the rewards. But people were sobbing and screaming how "unfair" it is to de dependant on random drops in a hack & slay MMO... Now everything's just window shopping and pay up. Yawn.​​
      lFC4bt2.gif
      ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
      "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
      "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
      "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    • georikzaberiskgeorikzaberisk Member Posts: 126 Arc User
      Then Suddenly Cryptic has Thrown at as a new Boss to fight:

"The Emperor of the Terran Empire Wesley Crusher and His Bio-Assimilated-Crystalline Web-Hexagonal-Multi Vector-World Destroyer-Time Dreadnought Carrier Ship."

On Normal all it does BFAW Everything on sight at a 12 range none diminishing with High Crit Severity and a chance to heal his shields and Hull per shots fired.

On Advance Still has the BFAW but this time keeps firing TS3 of specialized Tricobalt Torpedo with a 100% Shield Penetration and 5m AoE damage.

On Elite Same 2 powers on normal and advance but With Web Cannon, Power Absorption, Gravity Well, Shield AoE drain that is 10m wide, Able to Summon pets: T6 Valiant Mirror and can Heal Hull and Use a Time abilities like splitting to 2 and slowing everything around him but most of all has a Lance and Reflect.

And if! If for some Miracle you get to defeat it on any levels you will get: 50k Dilithium Fleet Voucher.

After 1 week of release not only did the Forums burn but mass riot on the streets and man hunt for the Cryptic/Arc/PW staff was rampant. Several of their facilities where Burn to the Ground by Activist who doesn't really know what do they really want.

Ehehe.

And yes I'm joking here :p
    • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
      angrytarg wrote: »
      Borg used more abilities at one point and it might have happened you needed to "chase" a Borg sphere around infected, thus thwarting your dps numbers. People screamed so hard their heads went red and tears were flowing. Then Cryptic reverted all changes and probably dedcided to never, ever do something like this again.​​

That's because the spheres with EPtE were just stupid beyond belief. They didn't use it intelligently, just randomly blast off like drunk drivers passing out, foot on the accelerator. While it may have slightly slowed down the players, having to follow them into the woods to kill them, it couldn't actually help them in any way. It only highlighted the fact that the enemies aren't actually trying to win, they exist only to be killed by us.
      warpangel wrote: »
      That's because the spheres with EPtE were just stupid beyond belief. They didn't use it intelligently, just randomly blast off like drunk drivers passing out, foot on the accelerator. While it may have slightly slowed down the players, having to follow them into the woods to kill them, it couldn't actually help them in any way. It only highlighted the fact that the enemies aren't actually trying to win, they exist only to be killed by us.

See, I'm not going to argue you on how those abilities were used. You are absolutely right, the mobs are not able to adapt to what players use, they do not recognize you using ability A and thus they use counter X, NPCs just randomly activate the ability as soon as the cooldown ends, resulting in enemies and allies often activating weapon abilities and emergency powers when nobody is around to shoot or overheal since they are at full health. This is not exactly intelligent behaviour and I completely agree with that.

However, it meant change. It's true that a random EPtE sphere doesn't add much challenge, but appearantly as @ruinthefun pointed out they didn't start to use these abilities once they were set "free" once the generators popped. Knowing that means the players could have adapted and avoided the EPtE madness. They could have incorporated more CC in the builds, tractor beams, drains, anything to hinder/impair the spheres doing that. But they didn't. All they did was rage and demand any changes undone, which in the end happened. That's not the spheres fault, NPC mobs will never be able to act even remotely like a human being, they just serve to make the challenge more variable and they ask you, the player, to sometimes adapt your acustomed tactics and manoeuvres. And that the majority of STOs playerbase is unwilling to do. You see it yourself, the queues are severly underplayed, only the one that requires the least icnentive and strategy imaginable is still top dog, all the others get abandoned as soon as the necessary rewards are earned. And that's not because the mobs are too boring.​​
      lFC4bt2.gif
      ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
      "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
      "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
      "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
      A starting point would honestly be to ignore the "its to hard" whiners and throw back in the failure conditions for the Advanced Queues, and not have them as just mere "optionals"

Second, throw in Elite versions for the Borg STF's and other queues, and throw in Mk XIV "Epic" quality versions of all the reputation gear as "rare drops".
      That way those who are unwilling to put in real effort can still obtain the very best gear but at significant cost, while those willing to brave hordes of powerful and challenging enemies can recieve truly worthwhile rewards.
      Problem with the EptE spheres was that they made crowd control abilities like gravity well and tractor beams kind of useless. In fact EptE is a completely broken power period since the rework of it with LoR. It's kind of the main reason I gave up entirely on PvP as it makes most hold powers useless.
      Problem with the EptE spheres was that they made crowd control abilities like gravity well and tractor beams kind of useless. In fact EptE is a completely broken power period since the rework of it with LoR. It's kind of the main reason I gave up entirely on PvP as it makes most hold powers useless.

That's however not what EPtE does. There is a DOFF that adds a cleanse debuff effect, but regular EPtE simply adds flight speed and turn rate, it does not negate hold and control abilities. If your grav gens are skilled high enough, EPtE isn't really going to break a hold, it will just help when used with evasive and A2ID to loosen the grip. And since a DPS oriented shooty pew ship most likely will have next to nothing in grav gens of course the hold turns out to be ineffective. But the STF is a team oriented mission - you're not supposed to be a master of all trades, throw CCs and deal damage and tank and heal - but that's also something the players got used to - simply being able to do everything themselves and the soon they face a situation they might not be able to deal with this situation is immedeatly deemed broken, OP and needs to be removed from the game.​​
      lFC4bt2.gif
    • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
      angrytarg wrote: »
      However, it meant change. It's true that a random EPtE sphere doesn't add much challenge, but appearantly as @ruinthefun pointed out they didn't start to use these abilities once they were set "free" once the generators popped. Knowing that means the players could have adapted and avoided the EPtE madness. They could have incorporated more CC in the builds, tractor beams, drains, anything to hinder/impair the spheres doing that. But they didn't. All they did was rage and demand any changes undone, which in the end happened. That's not the spheres fault, NPC mobs will never be able to act even remotely like a human being, they just serve to make the challenge more variable and they ask you, the player, to sometimes adapt your acustomed tactics and manoeuvres. And that the majority of STOs playerbase is unwilling to do. You see it yourself, the queues are severly underplayed, only the one that requires the least icnentive and strategy imaginable is still top dog, all the others get abandoned as soon as the necessary rewards are earned. And that's not because the mobs are too boring.​​
      No, it's because the queues all give more or less the same rewards and have insignificant cooldowns, so people naturally go for the easiest/fastest payout. It's not the players' fault. The game simply doesn't give any incentive to play all the queues.

Someone always complains. About everything. In the end, Cryptic decides how challenging they want the game to be, not the complainers. Unfortunately, Cryptic seems rather set on making this game extremely easy.
    • goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
      There's a hint of PvP in this request. Try challenging some players. Don't take any losses personally and then engage the players in substantive conversation about their builds. What works, what doesn't, etc. Lots of active players out there who've built some fancy ships and have a lot of knowledge.
      klingon-bridge.jpg

• questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,317 Arc User
      Isn't the problem that the bosses ARE like players? The completely novice and incompetent players that is. Only thing the bosses have going for them is a bag of hitpoints.
      This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
      I don't think the Fight your Mirror self would be too hard even as an STF. All you would have to do is have the game generate a copy of the player in question, change colors to be a alternate version of you, copy all powers and gear on the ship, and have the NPC spam all the powers continuously. For BFAW Spam boats that may be a who kills who faster type deal and if you give the mirror enemy say double shields and double hull it would require teamwork to win. I could see strategies coming out of it like less BFAW and more use of tactics like drag a ship away (NWS anyone?) To murder it.