test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Any One Else Having Crashes?

It seems since Monday's update I have had few hard game crashes. The game simply, regardless of character, situation, PC I'm on, likes to randomly crash to desk top with an "Ooops, Game Client Crashed = please report issue to Cryptic" message and dialog box. Of which itself become non-responsive and must be closed via task manager.

Since this crash has occurred on three different PC's I can only assume its related to the game client. In fact it says the game crashed because of the client when it happens so there. However, I have verified the files, and even completely reinstalled the game on my main gaming rig with the hopes that would correct the crash issue. The game has never been unstable like this before, for me that is, having only crashed once or twice in two years. But to have it crash now almost hourly, and across three separate systems just tells me that there is an issue.

I have filed a support ticket but hold no hope whatsoever that it will resolve anything. Their answer is always, "your system is the cause." Even though it always turns out to be a game issue. Sigh.

So is anyone else having the crash issue or am I just that lucky?
What happened to those unique forum ranks I paid for?

Comments

• tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    I'm having the same issue as well. Granted, I don't have multiple PCs to try on, but my game tends to randomly crash to desktop every now and then as well.
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    I'm getting near constant crashes since the anniversary patch, it's even crashed in safe mode and that was after a full re install
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • lordatrocitieslordatrocities Member Posts: 462 Arc User
      It seems to be a minor issue that only a few players are having. Very odd that we are affected while others are not. Or, most people have other issues that dump us to our desk tops, but cause other issues for them, same problem, different crashes.
    • alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
      Ditto constant crashes suddenly after going years without as much as a hiccup.
      "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
    • samargathasamargatha Member Posts: 75 Arc User
      Me. Since the anniversary events started. I could have some crash before, sure, but not as now, that is about once per hour.
    • semalda226semalda226 Member Posts: 1,994 Arc User
      No crashes but tons of lag
      tumblr_mxl2nyOKII1rizambo1_500.png

• davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
      Are any of you overclocking your CPU and/or video card? If yes, have you tried changing to stock speed on everything?
    • jbmonroejbmonroe Member Posts: 809 Arc User
      The only crash I have since the update is my video driver. It eventually recovers, but STO doesn't figure it out and I have to shut it down via Task Manager.
      boldly-watched.png
    • scrooge69scrooge69 Member Posts: 1,108 Arc User
      I have directX related crahses since new dawn can only play on medium settings to avoid crahses....
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      Crash Info Provided by the Cryptic Error PID2016 ETID48890933 report
      Initializing...
      Attaching to crashed process...
      Harvesting data from crashed process...
      Mode: Customer
      Communicating with Cryptic Error Tracker...
      Sending Memory Dump...
      Terminating crashed process...
      Sending Diagnostic Information...
      Cleaning up...
      Cleanup Complete!
      Waiting for description...
      Sending Description...
      Description Sent.
      All Error Reporting Complete!
      Are any of you overclocking your CPU and/or video card? If yes, have you tried changing to stock speed on everything?
      No. And most would mention such activity in OP. Or at least they should. :disappointed:
      This crash is affecting both AMD and Intel chip sets and both AMD and Nvidia Video Cards.

• szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
      I'm having crashes as well. It happened while being idle on ESD, scanning Omega particles or checking the exchange, in the exact same way as you have described. It doesn't seem to matter where you are (ground or space), or on which character or what you were doing at the time.
    • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
      Never crashes for me. *knock on wood*
      3lsZz0w.jpg
    • irm1963irm1963 Member Posts: 682 Arc User
      Oddly enough, yes. Fairly rare though, so I can get through most missions without losing progress, but never had a game-related CTD or even much lag previously (except when there's global server issues or similar ofc). Just sending in crash reports when prompted. PC settings haven't been altered.

Won't let me validate without CTDs either, don't want to try a reinstall until after the anniversary event in case I get the same problem and can't get back into the game :P
    • sovereign47sovereign47 Member Posts: 399 Arc User
      Yeah, it's been happening to me too and started exactly after the release of Anniversary patch. It is very annoying and frustrating getting crashes all the time every half an hour/hour. And I tried pretty much everything to prevent it from happening again including full reinstalls and force verification of files. So far nothing has worked for me. And while I don't have another PC to try if the game will work there without CTDs, I can confirm that it has nothing to do with my PC since all the other games (even those more resource demanding) are working fine without any problems. So it's gotta be problem on their end and I think they should look into the matter and resolve it as soon as possible.
      FED ENG: FA Sirius Verax (USS Leviathan) , FED TAC (Delta): FA Adria Tyllex (USS Thunderblade) , ROM TAC: ADM Kill'ina (IRW Imperix Thrai) , KLING ENG (Delta): LT. GEN Ghol'Vaq Martok (IKS Qeh'Ral II) - 44th Fleet member
      SZ1RgUL.jpg
      SUPPORTING PLAYABLE CARDASSIAN AND DOMINION FACTIONS!
    • kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
      I'm getting the 40% problem almost every time I log in...either to start with or when switching characters and I don't have a choice but to close it down.
    • ronin8212ronin8212 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
      It would be great if you would actually take the time to fix your product !!!
      Writing tickets is a futile waste of time !!!
      After the latest crash, again while mining Preferred Dilithium, that makes about 6 total losses for me, -60k and 6 preferred invites... ($7.50 USD - $1.25 x 6 keys), I have been unable to get the log in screen to even come up so I can sign in. :( Most frustrating. The Arc Client will load, but when I click on load STO, I just get a black little box that says ..........loading............ and nothing happens. I restart the Arc client, same thing. Restart PC, same thing. Try to log in on other PC, same thing. Sigh.

Cyrptic, Please fix this TRIBBLE. Thank you.
    • rodney65rodney65 Member Posts: 29 Arc User
      After the latest crash, again while mining Preferred Dilithium, that makes about 6 total losses for me, -60k and 6 preferred invites... ($7.50 USD - $1.25 x 6 keys), I have been unable to get the log in screen to even come up so I can sign in. :( Most frustrating. The Arc Client will load, but when I click on load STO, I just get a black little box that says ..........loading............ and nothing happens. I restart the Arc client, same thing. Restart PC, same thing. Try to log in on other PC, same thing. Sigh.

Cyrptic, Please fix this TRIBBLE. Thank you.

i wouldn't hold my breath , seems like other companies " DON"T CARE we got our money " way of thinking
    • tome85tome85 Member Posts: 31 Arc User
      just got hit with that ''Crash Plague''.

I tried to do the episode ''Time and Tide'' and the game crashed. Multiple game and pc restarts can't solve the problem. Tribble works fine though so i have no idea why is this happening. I did run Force verify but it dind't help!

Any ideas?
      My daily grind is STAR TREK BATTLES channel - NO HIGH DPS WANTED

tumblr_mtvjgwae6F1rzu2xzo4_r1_400.gif
    • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
      Since I started playing STO again in mid December 2015 (took about a 6 month hiatus) I have had two crashes which happened this weekend.

#1 - Entering orbit around Qo'nos.
      #2 - Some type of graphic error which turned my screen black and after about 10 seconds it CTD'ed. DirectX illegal call of some sort error message.
    • zecou#3376 zecou Member Posts: 10 Arc User
      I've been getting frequent crashes myself; though never when I'm fighting or doing missions. It always seems to be when I'm just sitting around doing nothing except chatting.
    • centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User
      STO began crashing much more often for me after the Anniversary patch as well; primary issue is crashing in fleet dilithium mines (Fed & KDF), where this never happened before. I can only harvest two nodes, and get a CTD nearly every time on the 3rd node. Previously, I only had mostly infrequent random crashes, except for the "Takedown" episode from DR, which has been failing at the 4th wave (Delta front) since before the event patch.

I've been using some of the work-arounds recommended elsewhere, and I had learned a couple years ago to reduce my video settings for the Fleet mines in order to reduce lag in the mini-game. So along with many here, it seems obvious that the Anniversary patch is the real culprit, and Cryptic is too lazy to sort it out... :/
      Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
      Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
      Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
      Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
      STO player since November 2013
    • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
      and Cryptic is too lazy to sort it out...

Or their PCs are like mine and NOT crashing. Fixing bugs can be quite difficult if you can't replicate them on your development system even if you have crash reports.

You can make a change, but then you can't test to see if it made a difference because your PC was not crashing before it.
    • semalda226semalda226 Member Posts: 1,994 Arc User
      It's been happening to me.for 3 days now I can't even log in for more than 30 seconds without it crashing or disconnecting
      tumblr_mxl2nyOKII1rizambo1_500.png

• alphahydrialphahydri Member Posts: 391 Arc User
      I occasionally get "your connection to the account server has timed out" notifications when switching characters or logging in for the first time, but other than that I've been pretty solid.
    • grayfoxjamesgrayfoxjames Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
      Interesting I thought I was the only one cause of my crappy laptop even bough it never did it like this before. Yeah it just crashes out of no where I can be in an instance by myself writing an email or something and then crash to desktop. I thought maybe it was just me and my crappy laptop was having memory dump problems.

Again this is pretty recent for me but I guess it's nice to hear (unfortunately) that I'm not the only one.
      Fleet Admiral Thomas Winston James a.k.a. The Grayfox
      Fleet Leader of:
      Liberty Task Force/Liberty Honor Guard
      Pride of the Federation/Pride of the Empire
      Liberty Guardians
      U.S.S. Liberty, NX-42813-L, T-6 Legendary Odyssey Class

Game Handle: Grayfox@GrayfoxJames
      Armada (STOFA Member Fleet): https://www.libertytaskforce.com/stofa
      Discord: https://discord.gg/bGp9N7z
      Twitter: STOFA@LTFGrayfox
      Email: CSDynamix@Hotmail.com
    • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
      Crash crash crash, all day long, crash crash crash while I sing this song.

Going to log into the game, going to do my daily, than the game CTD, and does me wrong!!!

tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!