test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

"Oops! Cryptic Application has Crashed..."

The STO game freezes randomly then this notification pops up saying the cryptic application has crashed. Then the cryptic error reporting tool starts sending its stuff. Anyone else having this randomly recurring problem? I notice it only crashes when I'm in ground mode. When I'm in space its fine.
1686is5.jpg
The first Belfast was commanded by Captain Ve'Kal Shon until its destruction in 2409. A new ship was commissioned bearing the same name and registry as special dispensation to then newly promoted Captain Edward XIII for his pivotal role during the renewed Dominion War.

Comments

• theillusivenmantheillusivenman Member Posts: 438 Arc User
    Did you check the game files and ran the game in safe mode? Sounds to me like a corrupt file.
    5980291nyfcc.png
    "Reality is a thing of the past."
    Proud supporter of equality for all human beings.
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    Lots of people having this issue of crashing, and it has only gotten worse with each and every new addition!!!
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• g0mjabbarg0mjabbar Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    I am having this problem and it only started with one of the last two patches.
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    Mine is crashing randomly during map changes, so it's still happening more than it should be.
  • alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    My STO has been crash free for a year or two, until after the last update... just today alone i've CTD 3 times!!!
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
  • chkargh#2024 chkargh Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    stolts wrote: »
    The STO game freezes randomly then this notification pops up saying the cryptic application has crashed. Then the cryptic error reporting tool starts sending its stuff. Anyone else having this randomly recurring problem? I notice it only crashes when I'm in ground mode. When I'm in space its fine.

Yes. Me. I have the same problems. It is no matter what I am doing here. Every 10 til 15 minutes I crash in the game.
    Qapla'!
  • tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    I remember having random crashes to desktop for at least a year, if not more. Sometimes it's better and might crash only once per day, but sometimes, usually after big season updates, i could have a crash in every 30 minutes or so. It's usually irregular, I haven't seen any pattern that it would occur more frequently on some special maps and it doesn't only crash on map changes. The only exception is Borg Disconnected, so far every time I've played BD, game has *always* crashed to desktop for me at some point during the mission.

Right now I would say situation is pretty stable, on average 1-2 crashes per day, which is tolerable, but nevertheless annoying.
  • spiritwalker1969spiritwalker1969 Member Posts: 406 Arc User
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    I have noticed that STO has been experiencing greatly elevated RAM consumption. I suspect that the last update introduced a memory leak, and once the amount of RAM available to a 32bit program has been entirely exhausted, the game explodes.

Apparently it is possible to change the allocations, provided sufficient RAM is available, in the bootfile.
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff556232(v=vs.85).aspx gives some details or search /3GB switch - though I would recommend checking the article applies to your specific OS before trying it and backing up the bootfile to a memstick before starting.
  • acolyte5acolyte5 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Yep, i have random crashes aswell...ground and space and during map changes..mostly 3 times a day.The crashes for me started when season 11 New Dawn launched...I had no crashes or problems when season 10 and 9 was still on and also noticed an elevated RAM consuption.Using Windows 8.1
  • ronin8212ronin8212 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    Has the midwest server gone down ???
    If so, thanks for the warning, NOT !!!
    Vannot log in at all !!!!
  • stoltsstolts Member Posts: 482 Arc User
    stolts wrote: »

Yes. Me. I have the same problems. It is no matter what I am doing here. Every 10 til 15 minutes I crash in the game.

Yes! This... around 15-20min for me. But only when in ground or gets stuck in loading. Do you still have the problem?
    1686is5.jpg
    The first Belfast was commanded by Captain Ve'Kal Shon until its destruction in 2409. A new ship was commissioned bearing the same name and registry as special dispensation to then newly promoted Captain Edward XIII for his pivotal role during the renewed Dominion War.
  • adrianasrxadrianasrx Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    There is another thread that has players listing the same problem
  • spiritwalker1969spiritwalker1969 Member Posts: 406 Arc User
    Okay guys .... guess what I'm joining the club, for all that I have been trying to help others with this I haven't experienced a ctd before now.

All I can report is that there was a massive lag spike before it happened ... nothing is recorded either in game logs or PC logs - I have been through every possible game and performance log and nothing. No errors with the game, no errors with windows and as far as I can see no connection issues.

However, it isn't server related that is one thing I am now 100% sure of - the reason I was able to reconnect immediately, almost as if I had terminated the game myself. Login info, password etc was all retained by the launcher and iirc from the issues after Delta Rising launch the launcher requires you to re-enter passwords after a crash.

Question for the Dev's - is there a command line code or shortcut which can log a player out without using the menus or closing the game window? If so can this be triggered by a key combo that players might accidently trigger whilst performing mundane tasks or in combat?