test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Unofficial Literary Challenge#19 Discussion Thread

marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
This is the discussion thread for Unofficial Literary Challenge #19: "Once in a Lifetime".

As usual, be honest and polite, but as this month's host, I'd like to take a moment to make an additional request: Above all else, please be supportive. It is your contributions, not just as as a writer, but most importantly, as readers and as reviewers, which make these challenges appealing and worth participating in. So please, if you enjoy something you've read, take a moment to let the writer know B) LLAP \\//_

Comments

• grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    Oh, prompt 1 and 2 are soooo tempting. If only I can find the time to write.

And to read. I'm sorry I haven't been reading or giving feedback past few months, I've had way too much on my plate. Part of my New Year resolution is to try and make more time for others.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    grylak wrote: »
    Oh, prompt 1 and 2 are soooo tempting. If only I can find the time to write.

And to read. I'm sorry I haven't been reading or giving feedback past few months, I've had way too much on my plate. Part of my New Year resolution is to try and make more time for others.
    I hope circumstance will give you the opportunity to 'put pen to paper' B)
    It's funny you chose the officer exchange one. Talaina just got tier 4 dip in game just before Crimbo and is now running around with a KDF boff, so I was wondering how I could work that into the LCs. I'm also wanting to write one for the Crimbo prompt in the last one. A nice alternate twist to last year's crimbo prompt.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
    It's funny you chose the officer exchange one. Talaina just got tier 4 dip in game just before Crimbo and is now running around with a KDF boff, so I was wondering how I could work that into the LCs. I'm also wanting to write one for the Crimbo prompt in the last one. A nice alternate twist to last year's crimbo prompt.
    The officer exchange prompt has been a suggestion for a few years now, I figured it was time to make it live so folks could have fun with it B) I took a bit of a dip on the Christmas challenge, as the story which presented itself lent itself more to ULC#5, than ULC#18, but I figure as long as they're sparking inspiration, that's the most important thing B)
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    Some nice prompts here, Marcus! Thanks for picking it up this month! I did email you a suggestion but these are good, too.
    1. Seems like a good prompt to use Jaleh Khoroushi in a short vignette of her getting assigned to Bloodwing after the Khitomer summit.
    2. My dad's really into genealogy, interesting prompt. Not sure what to do with it, but maybe I could use this as a non-zhian'tara way of exploring the background of my Masterverse joined Trill, Tyria Sark. As for my other characters, I know Eleya is from a working-class family and Morgan's great-aunt was a senator in the Star Empire.
    3. This one might be difficult: most of the people Eleya really admires are either dead or mostly unreachable (e.g. Ben Sisko is still with the Prophets in my 'verse). Ditto Morgan, who deeply admires Empress Ael, who I wrote in the Spock Memorial piece was assassinated at some point. I'd probably need to make up something new, which is not a bad thing.
    4. Well, technically my favorite Starfleet crew didn't do a whole lot of planet-visiting (no love for Niners, sigh), but there's still plenty of possibilities here. Maybe the Mintakans, or we see how the Teplans are doing after Bashir cured their plague (can't imagine the Dominion was happy about that!).
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    Starsword, I have SO wanted to see an update on the Teplans...

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
    edited January 2016
    starswordc wrote: »
    Some nice prompts here, Marcus! Thanks for picking it up this month! I did email you a suggestion but these are good, too.
    1. Seems like a good prompt to use Jaleh Khoroushi in a short vignette of her getting assigned to Bloodwing after the Khitomer summit.
    2. My dad's really into genealogy, interesting prompt. Not sure what to do with it, but maybe I could use this as a non-zhian'tara way of exploring the background of my Masterverse joined Trill, Tyria Sark. As for my other characters, I know Eleya is from a working-class family and Morgan's great-aunt was a senator in the Star Empire.
    3. This one might be difficult: most of the people Eleya really admires are either dead or mostly unreachable (e.g. Ben Sisko is still with the Prophets in my 'verse). Ditto Morgan, who deeply admires Empress Ael, who I wrote in the Spock Memorial piece was assassinated at some point. I'd probably need to make up something new, which is not a bad thing.
    4. Well, technically my favorite Starfleet crew didn't do a whole lot of planet-visiting (no love for Niners, sigh), but there's still plenty of possibilities here. Maybe the Mintakans, or we see how the Teplans are doing after Bashir cured their plague (can't imagine the Dominion was happy about that!).
    Thanks, and sorry about the email, I haven't checked my inbox in a day or so, but will do so now B)

[Edit to add]
    Just checked, and that would be a pretty badass prompt, there's always ULC#21, if keeping to the tradition of every tenth challenge being a redux ;)

Don't forget, prompts are just starting points, they could also apply to crew members as well ;) After the Q-niversal reset, I've got even more options to consider B)
  • takeshi6takeshi6 Member Posts: 752 Arc User
    Interesting Prompts. :)

I'll need to see if anything comes to mind, even though I'm STILL trying to get the inspiration to finish the first part of my ULC15.1 piece!!

Anyway, looking forward to reading what people come up with, even though I rarely make comments.

However, I will make one comment right now: @hawku001x, I find your No Fourth Wall approach to be a bit of a turn-off - makes me think you're trying to rip off Deadpool, a character specifically designed for that Trope. And I never really cared for Deadpool that much, either. So, ripping off a character I don't like is a double-point against you, at least for me. Sorry if that's a bit blunt, but it's my honest opinion on the matter, and I felt it was time I said my peace.
    76561198160276582.png
    takeshi6 wrote: »
    Interesting Prompts. :)

I'll need to see if anything comes to mind, even though I'm STILL trying to get the inspiration to finish the first part of my ULC15.1 piece!!

Anyway, looking forward to reading what people come up with, even though I rarely make comments.
    I know the feeling, I've got a non-LC piece sitting in a data buffer because I've just not had the urge to finish if, and what with moving, it's hard enough to sit down and really get into the right frame of mind to write properly :D I'll look forward to seeing if you come up with anything for the prompts B)
  • hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    Hi takeshi6. No problem. I appreciate the why and I don't have any expectations here. I'm just happy enough if there's a place for me. But I guess I should say I'm not trying to rip off Deadpool. I can't even bear to watch those trailers, nor am I familiar with the character (probably because I live under a rock). Though, I have been writing like this forever. There's a link to my site on my index page. I've experimented with serious through RPGs and short stories before, but I've found this way a more thorough expression of myself. I don't mind being different and the limited appeal that might serve. Cheers. :)
    Post edited by hawku001x on
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,362 Arc User
    Fourth-wall-breaking humor predates Deadpool by rather a long time. One of my favorites for that was "Bored of the Rings", a parody of the LotR trilogy written by some folks at the Harvard Lampoon. Had bits like the boggies escaping from the Nine Nozdrul at the ford near Riv'n'Dell, by tricking the Narcs into throwing him into some bushes across the river: "As Frito fished the Ring from beneath his shirt to make sure it was okay, he wondered how much longer the writers were going to be able to get away with tripe like that. He wasn't the only one."

Or the prophecy received by the Boromir-analog, whose name escapes me after all these years:

"Five eleven's your height, one-ninety your weight,
    You cash in your chips around page eighty-eight."

The book was full of bits like that. (I thought their other literary effort, Doon, was weakened by a lack of such humor, although I still am quite fond of the parodies of the quotations from other in-universe works that adorn each chapter heading of Dune. For instance, the wise words of the Princess Serutan: "Inside every fat man, there is a thin man screaming wildly to get out and eat everything in sight. That's why the man is fat in the first place.")
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited January 2016
    lol jonsills, love that.
    Post edited by hawku001x on
  • antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    Looking forward to see prompts - busy with work and the Strange New Worlds contest.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • rllaillieurllaillieu Member Posts: 351 Arc User
    I must admit, this will be the first time in a long time that I've actually posted anything to my fanfiction dot net account, so this will be fun. Also, I was peeking back over some past ones and I have to ask where you all come up with those prompts? I suddenly have the urge to write all the stories right now, so I'm pretty sure I should be thanking you prompt-writers for motivating me to post more on not just the STO side, but on all of my stories.

Also, these are some prompts I can really have fun with. Like, truly, bring out the sarcasm in force. You all are amazing.
    rllaillieu wrote: »
    I must admit, this will be the first time in a long time that I've actually posted anything to my fanfiction dot net account, so this will be fun. Also, I was peeking back over some past ones and I have to ask where you all come up with those prompts? I suddenly have the urge to write all the stories right now, so I'm pretty sure I should be thanking you prompt-writers for motivating me to post more on not just the STO side, but on all of my stories.

Also, these are some prompts I can really have fun with. Like, truly, bring out the sarcasm in force. You all are amazing.

Thanks, I'll look forward to seeing what you post B) I selected three prompts from this suggestion thread B)

I really want to write something for prompt 1, but I can't think of a story. All I've got is, meet the new guy, have forced cultural misunderstanding of some kind. I can't think of any misunderstanding that makes any kind of sense and isn't forced.

I really want to write something for prompt 1, but I can't think of a story. All I've got is, meet the new guy, have forced cultural misunderstanding of some kind. I can't think of any misunderstanding that makes any kind of sense and isn't forced.
    What if there wasn't a cultural misunderstanding? ;) You're right though, if it's forced, it's best not written B)
  • rllaillieurllaillieu Member Posts: 351 Arc User
    I have something written for the challenge and I posted it on fanfiction dot net, but is there any official submission thing or is it just "someone will find it (hopefully)"?
    rllaillieu wrote: »
    I have something written for the challenge and I posted it on fanfiction dot net, but is there any official submission thing or is it just "someone will find it (hopefully)"?
    I've never visited ff, so I don't know how it works, but if you've got something on the challenge, please feel free to post it here B)
    edited January 2016
    What if there wasn't a cultural misunderstanding? ;) You're right though, if it's forced, it's best not written B)

Captain meets new officer at airlock. Exchange pleasantries. New Officer goes to his quarters and unpacks.

Not exactly riviting. And not exactly a story or anything there to write about. Hmmmm. Must be something that can engage my creativity.

Captain meets new officer at airlock. Exchange pleasantries. New Officer goes to his quarters and unpacks.

Not exactly riviting. And not exactly a story or anything there to write about. Hmmmm. Must be something that can engage my creativity.
    JD Salinger managed to string a series of random events happening to an emo douche into Catcher in the Rye ;)
    JD Salinger managed to string a series of random events happening to an emo douche into Catcher in the Rye ;)

Hmmmm..... you may have just given me the spark of inspiration I needed....

Hmmmm..... you may have just given me the spark of inspiration I needed....
    All part of the service B)
  • cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    Wow. Sprinkle some insp my way. Let's see ...

Nope, got nothing :persevere:
    Wow. Sprinkle some insp my way. Let's see ...

Nope, got nothing :persevere:
    Kathryn is assigned to act as a command observer on an Orion vessel... ;)
  • cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    Dammit, why didn't I think of that?!

;)
    Right. It's 22:50 on a Saturday night. I've cracked open the Malibu, it's the first snow in my new house and I've got the Mortal Kombat theme blasting on a 10 hour loop. LET'S DO THIS!!!!

Right. It's 22:50 on a Saturday night. I've cracked open the Malibu, it's the first snow in my new house and I've got the Mortal Kombat theme blasting on a 10 hour loop. LET'S DO THIS!!!!

This is exactly how to write. :p
    Woot. Finally managed to write one. Cast list:

Talaina Kazzur: Sharon Stone (Total Recall Era)
    Ttorkkinn: Michael Ironside.
    Xui Li Zhong: Rinko Kikuchi
    T'Vrell: Mara Junot (you know what this boff looks and sounds like)
    Jenna James: Sarah Chalke (first season of Scrubs era)
    Saarish: Voiced by Jim Cummings (his Robotnik voice from Sonic SATAM).