test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Privacy Feature Update

Recently STO is under attack by bot programs or players with dummy accounts that sends out random friend invites, then they or the bot program PM you with their gold selling website info etc...

This is getting annoying to say the least.

Cryptic needs to add a feature in the privacy setting to disable friend requests, which will kill all those random friend invites instantly. I already have my privacy setting so that only friends and fleets can "mail" me and "tell" me. I need a feature that will disable random friend requests.

Cryptic needs to update their network security, as these random bot or player based spamming is intensifying. It was horrible this past Black Friday CStore event.

This is an S.O.S from all the players, crying out to Cryptic to do something about this madness.

StarTrekIronMan.jpg

Comments

• shaltorshaltor Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    I've been wondering about that from some time since I started playing again. Out of the blue I would get friend invites that would not respond to my PM's asking if I knew them (since I've been away for some time).
  • stark2kstark2k Member Posts: 1,467 Arc User
    Most likely you will not get a response, the Cryptic server has been constantly under attack by some type of automated bot program that will send out constant friend requests, and even pm you, advertising their Gold Selling Websites. Rumor has it that this isn't nothing new, I believe Neverwinters is being afflicted with a similar type of bot program,
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
  • cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    Do not include me in your SOS, I do not get harassed by gold sellers.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • kontarnuskontarnus Member Posts: 289 Arc User
    Make yourself anonymous, take yourself off the Social list. Turn off fleet invites. Done.
    I don't get those spam messages. None. At all.

If you like teaming, it's a problem for you. Otherwise, that's the solution.
    "Intelligence is finite, stupidity is infinite" -- Umberto Eco
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    I could have sworn there was already an option to turn off invites, if not, simply hit ignore and viola!

No more invites from said spammer!!!

It won't fix all invites by using ignore, but it will prevent that particular from doing so.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• stark2kstark2k Member Posts: 1,467 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    Cidjack, Kontarnus, and Shadowwraith77, what you all say is viable, but the issue is more than pockets of isolated incidents. ESD seems to be the problematic hot spot, and it is the place most new players enter the game. There are options to disable certain features, but none that will block random friend requests.

I'm more curious as to what is doing this, if they are players, then it must be a huge problem as they spam gold selling sites. However; I believe it may be some form of bot program.

If you aren't part of those who getting friend invite/PM spam and no need for this SOS, then count yourself among the few lucky few. However; sooner or later you will eventually get hit by it.
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg