test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Winter Event Item Request: Fed/KDF/RRF Ushanka

gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
I realize that if this hasn't already been planned ahead to be incorporated in the game by now it won't make this winter event, but I am still going to put the request out there...

I would love a Starfleet-issue (or other services) ushanka--that is, a Russian fur cap. I won't post an image but I think it would be fun to see these adapted to the military services of the 25th century. My toon, for one, would love it. Heck, I think my Cardassian might wear it too.

Obviously replicators mean in the Trekiverse that no animals would have been harmed in the making of the hat, so I don't see why in-universe someone would object to something that had the look and feel of the real thing. (Though I admit I do have an evil version in mind that might give the appearance of being epohh fur, that I suspect would make a lot of people buy them, but anyway... ;) )

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.

Comments

• Options
    bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    Heck I just created a Russian toon, bring it ON!​​
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • Options
    captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    Ushankas have been made from artificial fur for decades, so no animals need be harmed in making them anyway. They call it "fish fur".

I wouldn't say no to an Ushanka :)
    I need a beer.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    I figured they have been IRL, though I did not know the name of the faux fur. Of course in the age of replicators, there'd be no harm in going really authentic in the look and feel. But anyway, thanks for the "vote." ;)

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    guljarolguljarol Member Posts: 979 Arc User
    Yes, please!

But not of epohh fur! onion-43.gif
    ;)​​
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    I admit I personally wouldn't do epohh fur, but after all the complaints about epohhs and the Epohh Lady, I had to say it. ;)

Then again, if it's REPLICATED epohh fur... >:)

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    Nah... Tribble hair hat.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Nah... Tribble hair hat.

I'm sure if you replicated enough tribble pelts, you could probably still manage to make a half decent ushanka...that said, hiding the seams might be hard. ;)

• Options
    guljarolguljarol Member Posts: 979 Arc User
    I want a real Muppet fur ushanka LiJf02C.png​​
  • Options
    guljarol wrote: »
    I want a real Muppet fur ushanka LiJf02C.png​​

OMG, that's creepy like the Sorting Hat. ;)

http://youtu.be/fA3dbvRCui0

• Options
    velquavelqua Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    I wouldn't mind having a tribble Daniel Boone hat myself. :smile:
    18662390068_f716cd60e3.jpg
  • Options
    velqua wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind having a tribble Daniel Boone hat myself. :smile:

A little bit different kind of hat (though still fur). ;)

• Options
    lindalefflindaleff Member Posts: 3,734 Arc User
    Give me a tribble fur ushanka, and I would absolutely wear that!
    I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
    My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
    Click here to view my DeviantArt.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    2307101466_a7767f9178_z.jpg?zz=1
    if you look close enough, the one kirk is holding is more than big enough to be made into a hat​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Perfect! I'll take it!

But seriously, Cryptic. I do mean that. If you gave us ushanki (plural of ushanka), all my characters would proudly wear them.

I do like how you have started thinking about hats. I have been saying for a long time that the Odyssey uniform should have come with a matching beret. The wool hats you gave us last year work well enough as a substitute, but even it is not perfect. Even still, I am just glad that we have it.
    I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
    My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    lindaleff wrote: »
    I have been saying for a long time that the Odyssey uniform should have come with a matching beret.

I really, really hope not. Starfleet is not a military and its uniforms go out of their way to show that. It was bad enough ID added peaked caps to the uniforms.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    artan42 wrote: »
    I have been saying for a long time that the Odyssey uniform should have come with a matching beret.

I really, really hope not. Starfleet is not a military and its uniforms go out of their way to show that. It was bad enough ID added peaked caps to the uniforms.​​

I think it depends on how you look at it. I think in Trek we have seen three war-torn continuities: Yesterday's Enterprise, the JJVerse, and STO. All have reacted with increased militarization. Now personally I don't feel a beret would look good with most Starfleet uniforms so on aesthetic grounds I'm not interested. But in all three continuities where Starfleef encountered severe, ongoing threats, they were forced to adapt. Whether or not someone likes it, I think we've seen it in enough continuities to know that once put under enough pressure, such a reaction from Starfleet is near inevitable.

• Options
    Personally, if we got a Star Trek series where Starfleet was more the Navy, I would absolutely watch that. That is why I loved the early ENT stuff so much, all the way up until the Xindi nonsense came along.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    gulberat wrote: »
    artan42 wrote: »

I really, really hope not. Starfleet is not a military and its uniforms go out of their way to show that. It was bad enough ID added peaked caps to the uniforms.

I think it depends on how you look at it. I think in Trek we have seen three war-torn continuities: Yesterday's Enterprise, the JJVerse, and STO. All have reacted with increased militarization. Now personally I don't feel a beret would look good with most Starfleet uniforms so on aesthetic grounds I'm not interested. But in all three continuities where Starfleef encountered severe, ongoing threats, they were forced to adapt. Whether or not someone likes it, I think we've seen it in enough continuities to know that once put under enough pressure, such a reaction from Starfleet is near inevitable.

All they did in YE was to turn the lights down a bit and add some new belts and different cuffs to their uniforms. Visually it's no more significant than the grey Dominion War uniforms and the lowered lighting on the Defiant.

ID doesn't really count, I assume it was just a costume test for the First Order :D.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    There was a lot more going on, though, than just the visuals--stuff that was a lot easier to pull off on a TV budget--but the nomenclature for everything changed and became more like the real life Navy, and they ditched the PC attitudes and speech (they didn't wring their hands about acknowledging they were fighting *enemies*). I suspect had they had a bigger budget, more changes would've been evident. As far as Into Darkness, whether one likes it or not, that is canon for its universe. I am staying away from spoilers for Star Trek Beyond (I don't like outside influences on my first impressions), but especially if it stays like that there, then it is even more so.

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    While Starfleet is essentially a science and exploration organization for the Federation, they also furfill a military role by defending the borders and fighting when necessary. The Dominion War proved that Starfleet can act as a military force. While they downplay their military capabilities, it doesn't change what Starfleet is, essentially the Federation Navy. They just happen to be multi role capable, just like most of their ships.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    jamieblanchardjamieblanchard Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    Yes, for both ushankas and berets. All factions, too. My alien toons I run on KDF side depict a very Russian/German-like race of my own homebrew, so them having their own ushankas would be very nice.
    Resident TOS, G.I. Joe, Transformers and hair metal fangirl.

And knowing is half the battle!

21 'til I die!