test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I just can't do it anymore (Mirror Invasion Slog)

welcome2earfwelcome2earf Member Posts: 1,746 Arc User
Ugh...it is just too much. The event just started, and between the A.S.S. (Admirality Ship System) and this, i'm getting wrecked. This is a very alt-unfriendly event; It's just too much. I am particularly curious why a ship will be allowed for an unlock if ONE toon runs the event to the end but a piddly rifle CAN'T be?

"Firing Plasma Lance in 3...2..1...."

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!111!!!!!! MAKE IT STOP!!!!!!
T93uSC8.jpg

Comments

• talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    yeah well, I want the gun, so I will suffer. Hell never even finished the one for the Cochrane gun, which now I can.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    I am particularly curious why a ship will be allowed for an unlock if ONE toon runs the event to the end but a piddly rifle CAN'T be?

so much this
  • welcome2earfwelcome2earf Member Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    Last yeah, I could do it, but was pretty much at saturation point...this year? I'll finish the toons that I didn't get to for the Cochrane rifle and perhaps I'll do it on on or 2 alts, but that's about it. I simply dont have the time with other gameplay options now.
    T93uSC8.jpg
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    I was only going to do it on 3 of 6. But I've broken down and will go for all 6. I calculated that if I do it on everyone the first 2 days I only have to do it on an average of 3.6 times a day for the remainder. Still, I agree it's a slog. The mission is too lengthy is the problem for this level of repetition.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    Don't worry about admiralty too much. Yeah, the EC, mats, prisioners, etc are nice, but we'll all get to level 20 at some point in the next year.
    lucho80 wrote: »
    Don't worry about admiralty too much. Yeah, the EC, mats, prisoners, etc are nice, but we'll all get to level 20 at some point in the next year.
    Well, during a bonus week, given my ship inventory, I make more XP doing the A.S.S. It makes me prefer the A.S.S. And the A.S.S. isn't for everyone...
    T93uSC8.jpg
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2015
    Don't worry about admiralty too much. Yeah, the EC, mats, prisoners, etc are nice, but we'll all get to level 20 at some point in the next year.
    Well, during a bonus week, given my ship inventory, I make more XP doing the A.S.S. It makes me prefer the A.S.S. And the A.S.S. isn't for everyone...

Mussstt..... refrain..... from making jokes.

Awwwww...c'mon, man!!!1 :p
    T93uSC8.jpg
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    Lockbox ships for A.S.S. (Admirality Ship System) alts!

I.E. You go the Undine lockbox ship card on Character A? Now so do Characters B - ## (upon hitting 52)

The cards are bound to characters... so we can't move them to support another character.

We're still limited to X time by the number of projects that can be run etc.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • orion0029orion0029 Member Posts: 1,122 Bug Hunter
    I've actually commented about the alt-unfriendliness of the mirror/crystalline events in the past to no avail.

Now I'm just thankful I'll only need 14 days worth of tediousness to get my shiny and crate of purple crystals.

Honestly, I'd be grateful if these events were more alt friendly, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Also worth noting, if the event were made alt friendly like the summer/winter/anniversary events, players would miss out on significant dilithium rewards.

And yet I'd still want an alt friendly system to be implemented... Hmm. :/

I'm not going to get into Admirality lockbox ships, I don't have any lockbox/Lobi ships (with the exception of an Aeon Timeship shuttle) on my characters. Not being account unlocks I was discouraged from purchasing any long before Admirality launched.

I would mention, though, it makes little sense that a single character ship on one character would unlock an Admirality ship on another... if anything I'd suggest that these single character ships (lockbox/lobi) be made account reclaimable in some way which would solve the Admirality issue, and the issues players have of "which character to I put this ship on?".
  • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,596 Arc User

Pretty clear someone at cryptic did not think things through in the naming department
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    orion0029 wrote: »
    I've actually commented about the alt-unfriendliness of the mirror/crystalline events in the past to no avail.
    What's so bad about the CE? It's roughly 5 minutes per character. You couldn't drag me to do the slog that is Mirror Invasion on all my chars but CE is totally fine imho.

2bnb7apx.jpg
  • burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    You'd think they would have realised making damage stop you closing the portals and giving the enemy FAW was a bad idea, especially in a zerg rush like mirror hell

click to close
    Enemy drawn away by another activates faw
    a few points of damage stops click timer
    repeat
    click to close
    random faw hits again
    repeat
    click to close
    try RnR/pilot move
    Both move you out of the acivation zone/don't last long enough
    Random mob hits spread 3...

sigh.​​
    edited November 2015
    mrspidey2 wrote: »
    What's so bad about the CE? It's roughly 5 minutes per character. You couldn't drag me to do the slog that is Mirror Invasion on all my chars but CE is totally fine imho.

Agreed, the weirdo Mirror Crystal event is fine. But since the fact that Mirror invasion is, in effect, a 15 minute, time-gated cutscene, it just makes it annoying. I mean, does your SB surviving and closing portals effect score/payout in any meaningful way?
    T93uSC8.jpg
  • ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 903 Arc User
    What I find annoying is the 15 minute time gate, which at the current state of the game really isn't necessary even on normal. We're usually done with both all the weapons power stations as well as the portals with a good five minutes left to go. And then what do you do? Spend 5 minutes pretty much twiddling your thumbs and looking through doff and admiralty missions? what else is there to do until the next stage triggers? (Yes, yes a few paltry rifts open here and there but they take about 10 seconds to mop up the mob and close even without team work.)
    Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.
  • orion0029orion0029 Member Posts: 1,122 Bug Hunter
    mrspidey2 wrote: »

Actually the Crystalline event is preferable to the Mirror event for 'alt friendliness', agreed. I mentioned it only because you still have to do it 14 * (number of characters) to get the rewards on your characters. Which after a while does get tedious.

But still, the Crystalline is better than Mirror for this, so you are right there. :)
  • kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    This is why I'm still GUTTED about Mine Trap and also now The Breach. IF I wanted this gun though, I really resent the daily bit...I'd rather just play 14 games of it back to back and get it over with!
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    I am particularly curious why a ship will be allowed for an unlock if ONE toon runs the event to the end but a piddly rifle CAN'T be?

so much this

Agreed x2!

I want the rifle, but running it on my three characters is already getting tedious..
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• borticuscrypticborticuscryptic Member Posts: 2,478 Cryptic Developer
    Pretty clear someone at cryptic did not think things through in the naming department

We named it "Admiralty." That's it. I will go on record as not condoning other acronyms currently in use.
    Jeremy Randall
    Cryptic - Lead Systems Designer
    "Play smart!"
  • storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User
    I've actually commented about the alt-unfriendliness of the mirror/crystalline events in the past to no avail

I would take CE anyday as opposed to MU. CE does not take too long and you can swap alts easily. MU is not alt friendly at all and takes 3X as long as CE...specially with that darn built in timer...the agony of waiting is just frustrating as opposed to CE.​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • mayito2009mayito2009 Member Posts: 643 Arc User
    I have 4 toons and I am doing the episode to get the set on all four but marks heck no, I do on one and that is it.
    Seek and ye shall find. Ask and ye shall receive. Rabboni
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" (Benjamin Franklin).

Most unexpectedly, this turned into a flame-fest! Closed it goes!. /sigh What flamefestery is this? pwlaughingtrendy
    storules wrote: »
    I've actually commented about the alt-unfriendliness of the mirror/crystalline events in the past to no avail

I would take CE anyday as opposed to MU. CE does not take too long and you can swap alts easily. MU is not alt friendly at all and takes 3X as long as CE...specially with that darn built in timer...the agony of waiting is just frustrating as opposed to CE.​​

I would say the BIGGEST reason that Mirror Crystaline event is so much better...is that the players actually effect how long the mission is, as there is not time-gate artifice. THAT is my biggest issue with Mirror Invasion. Just a big cutscene.
    T93uSC8.jpg
    edited November 2015

Ops. Double post. plz delete.
    T93uSC8.jpg
  • themetalstickmanthemetalstickman Member Posts: 1,010 Arc User
    Here's some advice: if you don't wanna play it, don't.​​
    Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.
    Here's some advice: if you don't wanna play it, don't.​​

Amazing, insightful advice! I didn't know what to do until now. Thanks!
    T93uSC8.jpg
    edited November 2015

Me too, but what about two admirals (Federation) enter into a bar and after several drinks one person said "Tell me, what planet did you come from?" and the other one said "I come from the north part of Vulcan". "Really? so do I! What school did you go to?" " Vulcan Science Academy." "Wow same!" This conversation went on similarly. The barman turned to another customer and said:

"It's going to be a long night. The Spocks brothers are drunk again!"

(A small variation on an Irish joke)
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" (Benjamin Franklin).

Most unexpectedly, this turned into a flame-fest! Closed it goes!. /sigh What flamefestery is this? pwlaughingtrendy
    storules wrote: »

I would say the BIGGEST reason that Mirror Crystaline event is so much better...is that the players actually effect how long the mission is, as there is not time-gate artifice. THAT is my biggest issue with Mirror Invasion. Just a big cutscene.

My problem is the small amount of marks you get vs the time invested

• angrybobhangrybobh Member Posts: 420 Arc User
    The event would be better if 5 minutes were knocked off the timer. It would still be time gated (and I hate time gates) but it would be better by a lot. As it is I'm probably not going to get all my toons(14) through it. I would like to, but I also don't want to end up hating STO when I'm done.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,316 Arc User
    angrybobh wrote: »
    The event would be better if 5 minutes were knocked off the timer. It would still be time gated (and I hate time gates) but it would be better by a lot. As it is I'm probably not going to get all my toons(14) through it. I would like to, but I also don't want to end up hating STO when I'm done.

True, that should help.

For the duration of the event i use ships with completely different play style on each of my characters. One torpedo bomber, CC, BFAW build and classic DHC. By using those different build the event is less repetitive.​​
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.