test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Anyone else doing NaNoWriMo?

shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
Just over an hour and a half before the annual festival of dodgy plotting and sore typing fingers begins, for me....

National Novel Writing Month (or NaNoWriMo), for those of you who didn't know, is a challenge which started in 1999 and has become an annual Internet-based event ever since. The object of the exercise is to write a novel over the course of November. A novel, for this purpose, is defined as a work of original fiction that's 50,000 words or more in length. Quality is - thankfully - not a requirement.

I've been doing this since 2003, myself, and it has been good for jerking chunks of inspiration out of my brain and onto the page. Whether any of the results are worth reading... well, that's not for me to judge, really! But it's been interesting, challenging, sometimes frustrating, often tiring, and a lot of fun.

So, I'm wondering if anyone else around here is doing it this year? I will be glad to cheer you on, or commiserate with you, if you are!
8b6YIel.png?1

Comments

• Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    I'm doing it this year. I'm basing my novel on a story about my characters in the game.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    Well, that sounds like a good idea to me! Fair winds, smooth seas and swift typing to you.
    8b6YIel.png?1
  • Options
    Thanks...you too
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    guljarolguljarol Member Posts: 979 Arc User
    I did it for a few years, but not any more. Too taxing in the end ;)

Good luck to you!​​
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,019 Community Moderator
    Never took part in one.
    Then again... I'm suffering from some serious Writer's Block right now. I got a couple projects I've already started but got stalled on, and I really want to write a sequel to Sierra Echo, but... again... Writer's Block.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    Well, some people find the discipline of having to make the NaNo deadline is enough to jump-start them out of a block.

(But some don't. Everyone's different, after all, and everyone works in different ways.)
    8b6YIel.png?1
  • Options
    toying with the idea of writing two stories based on my characters....one set in the alternate universe and one set after the Iconian War
    Your pain runs deep.
  • Options
    antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    Don't have some of the time pressures of yesteryear, so will give it a try - good luck, everyone.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • Options
    So how's it going, anyway? (Anyone who's doing it, that is.)

My current wordcount is 60,183, so I'm happy.
    8b6YIel.png?1
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    I just do not do that kind of writing for speed like that. Yes, that means that unless my fellow Masterverse authors are kicking me on a collab to get a move on, I write slow. Some people can write quality and quantity at the same time. I am not one of them.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    I gave up almost immediately. I got accepted into a WGA writing program and have been throwing all my efforts into that
    Your pain runs deep.
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    gulberat wrote: »
    I just do not do that kind of writing for speed like that. Yes, that means that unless my fellow Masterverse authors are kicking me on a collab to get a move on, I write slow. Some people can write quality and quantity at the same time. I am not one of them.

Me, I can only hope I at least get quality right, because quantity doesn't seem to be happening. :neutral:

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    I would have done, but being in the process of moving house takes up too much of my time to actually get in the zone to sit and write that kind of output. I have two ideas ready for writing, just not the time to transcribe... Next year though... B)
  • Options
    antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    Life events have interrupted, so it's probably not getting done in November.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!