test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New Episode: Sunrise

Comments

• tempus64tempus64 Member Posts: 806 Arc User
    All this speaking about trek values of exploration in fiction blog pieces marketing the new season and they removed the exploration system and did not replace it with an improved version.

Kinda sounds like a pun to me.

There was never an exploration system for S11. People saw the word "exploration" in one of the announcements and jumped to the conclusion there was one. In fact, in some interview with the producer, he said that an exploration system was at nothing more than a white boarded design concept at this point.
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    While I won't be addressing the other points you made, I did want to point out a possibility on this one that I think is fairly solid...
    typhoncal wrote: »
    I'm not one of the grumpy ones. Ok, maybe I am; I am personally pissed we didn't get Iconian wear, Iconian gear, and Iconian ships after all that; not even a Promotional Mini Iconian Dreadnought (the smaller ones from the final mission rather than the massive planet-killer ones).

I wouldn't write off some Iconian stuff in the next lockbox (and my strong guess is that it will be an Iconian lockbox). It will command a high Exchange price if I'm right, but I am betting Season 11 gives us an Iconian lockbox.

(Also, we did get the old Iconian outfit...hopefully you didn't miss running Midnight on all of your toons.)

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • keletteskelettes Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    "Ad astra audacter eamus in alis fidelium."
    -
    "To boldly go to the stars on the wings of the faithful."
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    millybun wrote: »
    Have to say, the odd use of the strikethrough for the "diewar" was kind of...weird. I've never seen that used before that way in dialog writing and while I can almost imagine how it might have been intended to sound like, it comes out off-putting and awkward.

It really should be one or the other. And if she's saying that verbally somehow ("die-STRIKETHROUGH-war?"), then I'd think Quinn would have had some sort of response to it.

Alternatively, it could have been written as her saying "die-er, war," as that comes off more like spoken language (in translated English, at least), and more organically implies that she was tripping over herself. Even then, I would have expected Quinn to at least make a face at her presumably unintentional word tripping that implies he'd have been sending them off to die IN war.

Regardless, this leaves me feeling like it was a mistake by the writer and they decided to leave it in as a strikethrough.

I generally enjoy the little stories, but this little bit is just too weird to pass up.

The use of underlining things for emphasis in a story like this is a bit weird, too. Unless you're trying to be over-the-top emphatic, they're probably unnecessary. If emphasis is pushed hard, could probably use italics or bold, instead.

To clarify, not saying the story is bad, but it was a bit awkward with the above.

I think it was pretty much intentional done, but it is a bit of a questionable choice, because it only really works in the written word, and it was part of a dialogue. Unless the dialogue happened via text messages, it wouldn't work and you wouldn't write a dialogue down like that.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • mayito2009mayito2009 Member Posts: 643 Arc User
    About darn time we go back to space exploration, diplomacy, new contacts.
    Seek and ye shall find. Ask and ye shall receive. Rabboni
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" (Benjamin Franklin).

Most unexpectedly, this turned into a flame-fest! Closed it goes!. /sigh What flamefestery is this? pwlaughingtrendy
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    crm14916 wrote: »
    I read through threads like these and I see a bunch of grumpy people who are not happy and I ask:

1) If you're not happy, why are you here?
    I'm not one of the grumpy ones. Ok, maybe I am; I am personally pissed we didn't get Iconian wear, Iconian gear, and Iconian ships after all that; not even a Promotional Mini Iconian Dreadnought (the smaller ones from the final mission rather than the massive planet-killer ones). BUT BESIDES THAT... I don't get unhappy with this game in general; if I get bored or frustrated, I have plenty of other games to play, and more incoming. I mainly stay around long enough to participate in scheduled fleet events or seasonal events. But occasional double XP weekends? Bonus Doffing points? Eh, not worth my time. Not anymore.
    2) If you want more content, why do you cry when they deliver?
    I only cry when it's the same bland storytelling that isn't anywhere near the level of even the blog posts. I cried mentally when it was clear the Iconian War was not really a war and that not a single damn thing has changed. No updates to First City/Qo'nos or to New Romulus the way ESD got a Quality of Life and modernization after the last major war that damaged it, the Undine war. Even just a functional city hub for New Romulus would be leaps and bounds better than the same blasted staging area. :'(
    3) If you want bugs fixed, why do you blame people who are not bug-fixers?
    That's on the uninformed. But there's always that illusion that every staff member is capable of doing multiple different jobs. I wonder if they ever hired a "Moneymaker Manager" yet? That one listing that was posted repeatedly when the forums were blaming Cryptic for more cashgrab stunts? Surely they can also do game coding and storyboarding too.
    4) If you want a better future, why are you waiting for someone else to design it?
    What sort of future are we talking about? My own future can only be made better if I either continue working to improve myself to the point I have a great paying job, or if I win a couple million dollars. Even just 5M or so. Whichever comes first. :p

Looks like with the new Herald Lockbox you'll be getting all the Iconian items you might desire.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 548 Arc User
    The simple fact of the matter is that Cryptic uses a poorly optimized engine that's mutated into a horrible monstrosity (their own words) and doesn't have a team large enough to fully fix everything.

I've said it before, i'll say it again, maybe next season-dot-half should be we're not doing anything new for 3 months, just fixing at least some of those core bugs. I'm sure a huge majority of players would welcome that more than this forced nnn features each month half of which don't work or break something else. It doesn't take a big team to fix and re-tune this game, it just takes one decision. Waiting for it to fall apart completely before fixing it is never a good idea.

The fact that they are developing new features 6 months ahead (next winter event gets done during summer event) is acknowledgement enough how problematic this whole thing is for them to maintain, but come on, really... minor bugs are known issues for months now, that's just absurd. And i've already forgotten what's in the text i've read that got this thread started, but I'm constantly reminded of bugs and consistency omissions during gameplay.

And you've just cost the players 9 months without any new content, 3 to fix the bugs, 6 to catch up to where they were in what would probably be a completely overhauled engine.

Do you think the game could survive 9 months with zero new content? I don't think it could manage 6.

And that's if it goes according to plan, worst case scenario we're looking at 2-3 years of no new content, the one before that, they just decide to shut it all down because it's not fixable anymore.
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    I take it we will get an FE per month like the Iconian Arc.

I didn't read the blog and don't tend to. I rather see it in game.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    gulberat wrote: »
    I think maybe Quinn needs to reframe the question. He's got a false dichotomy here, one that's existed throughout Trek. I think I would tell these cadets that their skills and readiness are valuable and will help provide the strength and rapid responsiveness needed to allow them to do their other mission--science and "humanitarian"--in peace. The are explorers but NOT pushovers, and that is a good thing. I would merely ask them to balance the two and judge each situation individually, rather than make the mistake of devaluing their training and acting like it was for naught or treating them like brainless, second-class misfits for knowing how to defend themselves.

I might also institute a cross-training program with Romulan Republic and Cardassian Defense Forces, given that some of these graduates might actually be in a particularly good position to relate to their counterparts in these services, who manage unlike the Klingon stereotype to be a military first WITHOUT resorting to brutish belligerence or conquest for the heck of it. This would further show the graduates that they are valued instead of worthless throwaways.

A nice idea. But judging by Quinn's wording, it's going to be the "same old TRIBBLE, different day" in the Fleet's (and Federation's civilian) culture. In other words, the soldiers will be put out to pasture and forgotten, while the UFP goes back to pretending everything is peachy in "utopia". To do that the next generation of Starfleet hopefuls will have to be indoctrinated back into the 24th Century "idealism without thought" mindset. A mindset that, I might add, cost the Federation dearly, beginning with the Borg.

I think maybe Quinn needs to reframe the question. He's got a false dichotomy here, one that's existed throughout Trek. I think I would tell these cadets that their skills and readiness are valuable and will help provide the strength and rapid responsiveness needed to allow them to do their other mission--science and "humanitarian"--in peace. The are explorers but NOT pushovers, and that is a good thing. I would merely ask them to balance the two and judge each situation individually, rather than make the mistake of devaluing their training and acting like it was for naught or treating them like brainless, second-class misfits for knowing how to defend themselves.

I might also institute a cross-training program with Romulan Republic and Cardassian Defense Forces, given that some of these graduates might actually be in a particularly good position to relate to their counterparts in these services, who manage unlike the Klingon stereotype to be a military first WITHOUT resorting to brutish belligerence or conquest for the heck of it. This would further show the graduates that they are valued instead of worthless throwaways.

A nice idea. But judging by Quinn's wording, it's going to be the "same old TRIBBLE, different day" in the Fleet's (and Federation's civilian) culture. In other words, the soldiers will be put out to pasture and forgotten, while the UFP goes back to pretending everything is peachy in "utopia". To do that the next generation of Starfleet hopefuls will have to be indoctrinated back into the 24th Century "idealism without thought" mindset. A mindset that, I might add, cost the Federation dearly, beginning with the Borg.

And that's the thing that if I lived in universe, I'd be worried about. That said if Quinn and others don't get any time to breathe between enemies, the crazy part is that it means they can't get too far into a disastrous drawdown in forces. It may not be too late for the idea of a balanced Starfleet that can acknowledge a dual role instead of just one or the other.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.

And that's the thing that if I lived in universe, I'd be worried about. That said if Quinn and others don't get any time to breathe between enemies, the crazy part is that it means they can't get too far into a disastrous drawdown in forces. It may not be too late for the idea of a balanced Starfleet that can acknowledge a dual role instead of just one or the other.

The Yamato Class, Monarch dreadnought, and upcoming carrier are, at least, a few bright spots in all of this. Judging from the Utopia Planitia reports, there are more than a few warhorses in Command to balance a few things out. But I won't hold my breath that it will last unless the UFP is faced with yet another baddie to deal with.
    In STO, you can bet the next serious baddie is right around the corner--both the MU threat and what I think is at least a nonzero probability of the Temporal Cold War kicking off.

In STO, you can bet the next serious baddie is right around the corner--both the MU threat and what I think is at least a nonzero probability of the Temporal Cold War kicking off.

Indeed. How else are we gonna continue to grind away for more stuffz? :D:D
  • themetalstickmanthemetalstickman Member Posts: 1,010 Arc User
    Too bad we didn't have Linnea back on Voyager. IMO she's a much more...colorful character than Kes ever was.​​
    Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited October 2015
    kinaenov wrote: »
    I thought this story was completely enjoyable - well, other than the odd strikethrough/underline thing. Minor quibble.

I thought it was a very original way to express both what Quinn likely first feared (sending many of them off to die) or had originally thought, yet was then replaced by the more diplomatic response (sending them off to war) he actually spoke outloud as expected of an Admiral.

I'd really like to compliment the writters for the great work they do in developing the story in missions and the supporting storyline. We are finally starting to see a little more personal sides to some of the many characters with struggles they've faced and hopefully found ways to deal with or overcome them.

Character development makes all stories more engaging & draws us in to see how characters deal with obstacles and challenges presented even when facing incredible odds. I'd also love to see short conversations from lower ranking NPCs, be they hunches or gossip to changing attitudes they observe within the factions.

I'd really like to see the gaming community being more vocal in support of great things we see in game, and try to limit feedback generally to more constructive in nature... :|o:):|

0zxlclk.png
  • burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    bunansa wrote: »
    poor Kaneda

TETSUOOOOOOO!!!​​
  • kamiyama317kamiyama317 Member Posts: 1,295 Arc User
    I read through threads like these and I see a bunch of grumpy people who are not happy and I ask:

1) If you're not happy, why are you here?
    2) If you want more content, why do you cry when they deliver?
    3) If you want bugs fixed, why do you blame people who are not bug-fixers?
    4) If you want a better future, why are you waiting for someone else to design it?

I thought the story was cute. A nice introduction to new/more content. I couldn't care less about a squeaky chair, because I don't sit down and read these things looking for all that is wrong with them. With what ESD went through, it is very possible that a can of WD40 is the last thing on the repair crew's mind... Especially for an Admiral who wouldn't bother a crew to fix something meaningless like the squeak when there are so many other things they can be spending their time working on...

I look forward to the new story!
    CM

Admiral Quinn's squeaky chair has ruined my life! How could the fleet admiral of Starfleet be permitted to have a squeak in his chair? This has ruined my immersion, destroyed any enthusiasm I had for the new season, and depressed me to the point where I no longer have any hopes or dreams for the future of STO.

We are doomed. This is the end of Star Trek.
  • sevenofnine13141sevenofnine13141 Member Posts: 4,272 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    “The next graduation is still a few months away,”
    Does that mean Class of 2411 and the year 2411 is coming?
    | State of the Federation |
    The German Empire
    Founded 2413
    Leader: S. Raneson
    de_pr2.gif
  • bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 548 Arc User
    “The next graduation is still a few months away,”
    Does that mean Class of 2411 and the year 2411 is coming?

It could be the class of 2410, we don't know how far in the year we are yet.
    The Iconian War lasted 5-6 months, estimated. So it is highly likely the next graduation is in 2411. Thus, Class of 2411 confirmed!
    The German Empire
    Founded 2413
    de_pr2.gif
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    Actually it says that they rushed the class to get them into the war fast so probably still 2410.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

edited October 2015
    No. That wasn't the class. It was the accelerated training group, you know, the wartime cadets?
    Quote:
    “This is the accelerated training group – the ones who were being rushed for the front lines in the war, while the war was still on.”
    The German Empire
    Founded 2413
    de_pr2.gif
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    sorry but dont these featured episodes normally have the rewards listed? or is this new FE just busy work with a 300 xp (junk) reward?
  • rangerryurangerryu Member Posts: 284 Arc User
    tigeraries wrote: »
    sorry but dont these featured episodes normally have the rewards listed? or is this new FE just busy work with a 300 xp (junk) reward?

They normally don't list the rewards until it goes live.

• hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    Looking forward to this episode, however, best practice is to play this over breakfast with orange juice.
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    hum! i need help, i'm stuck in the nebula: search for additional clues; where are they? :p
  • saber1973asaber1973a Member Posts: 1,224 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    You are joking right? Press V for directions of anomalies and go looking there...

BTW - Its looks like Admirality system botched normal DOFFs assignments. I do not see any RD materials assignments or Gamma Quadrant commodity sellers (i can sell, just can't buy) - but the later are more rare so maybe they are just not in at the moment....
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    yep, sorry I missed the "press v"; i wanted to edit my post but too late :*
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    quantum phase torps for week 1.

3 piece set... 3 set does phaser dmg and drains sub systems. looks to be a phaser/quantum torp set? normally I associate phasers with photon torps.
  • saber1973asaber1973a Member Posts: 1,224 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Well, there was Disruptor/Transphasic set in Blood of the Ancients...

Edit:
    And in Zen store Arkif, Marauder and Excelsior got 100% off price - silent giveaway?