test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New Episode: Sunrise

Comments

• alexsanderitaalexsanderita Member Posts: 214 Arc User
    All this speaking about trek values of exploration in fiction blog pieces marketing the new season and they removed the exploration system and did not replace it with an improved version.

Kinda sounds like a pun to me.
    I still dream from time to time about using the Gateway to doff off-game in spare minutes as we were told
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    I welcome it that the devs/team appearantly takes a look back at the whole way this game is build, that during the tutorial Starfleet cadets don't tire of blathering about fighting, war and shooting. You have the resources and technology to make this game better, devs.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    I read through threads like these and I see a bunch of grumpy people who are not happy and I ask:

1) If you're not happy, why are you here?
    2) If you want more content, why do you cry when they deliver?
    3) If you want bugs fixed, why do you blame people who are not bug-fixers?
    4) If you want a better future, why are you waiting for someone else to design it?

I thought the story was cute. A nice introduction to new/more content. I couldn't care less about a squeaky chair, because I don't sit down and read these things looking for all that is wrong with them. With what ESD went through, it is very possible that a can of WD40 is the last thing on the repair crew's mind... Especially for an Admiral who wouldn't bother a crew to fix something meaningless like the squeak when there are so many other things they can be spending their time working on...

I look forward to the new story!
    CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • icsairgunsicsairguns Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    what sucks is these new missions are all going to be cookie cutter for all factions. that little story and talking about the new direction of Starfleet is all fine and dandy but what about the KDF that stuff just isn't gonna fly.
    Trophies for killing FEDS ahh those were the days. Ch'ar%20POST%20LoR.JPG

• qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    Is it possible that the blog title was switched with the one that should be on the short story, while there is a blog somewhere that actually talks about the mission ? :*
  • yakodymyakodym Member Posts: 362 Arc User
    Space Dragons confirmed (combat pets FTW)
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    icsairguns wrote: »
    what sucks is these new missions are all going to be cookie cutter for all factions. that little story and talking about the new direction of Starfleet is all fine and dandy but what about the KDF that stuff just isn't gonna fly.
    BTW.... Jm'pok signed a new treaty... :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    Aw, Linnea's getting old.

I liked this one a lot - it is an interesting and difficult question asked to help move the organization back from quite so an aggressive posture (and Linnea's right to Quinn: sometimes, those changes have to happen at the top).

Though if we could fight a space dragon, please.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • johnnymo1johnnymo1 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    So I guess the featured episode will be around a star near ferenginor? I like the story, can't wait to hear the specifics.
  • talgeezetalgeeze Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    Since when has Quinn's office a door ?
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    So are the Tzenkethi going to look somewhat Humanoid as in the books, or are they going to be Lizard-like as described in Memory Beta?
    (I'm assuming that this is the "New Race" that we've heard mention of in the BLOGS/STO news items.)

"Robert Hewitt Wolfe, who wrote the Tzenkethis' only canon mentions in "The Adversary" and "Paradise Lost", envisioned the species considerably differently than Pocket Books' writers. In an online post, Wolfe described them as "heavily armored lizard things", and said he had come up with the name by combining "Kzinti" with "Tskanth" (a species appearing in the role-playing games RuneQuest and HeroQuest)."

See here (bottom of page): http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Tzenkethi
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • kyrrokkyrrok Member Posts: 1,352 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    It is a shame when the very first post after the announcement is a troll post. Yes, yes, yes I get it for the millionth ti
    gulberat wrote: »
    I think maybe Quinn needs to reframe the question. He's got a false dichotomy here, one that's existed throughout Trek. I think I would tell these cadets that their skills and readiness are valuable and will help provide the strength and rapid responsiveness needed to allow them to do their other mission--science and "humanitarian"--in peace. The are explorers but NOT pushovers, and that is a good thing. I would merely ask them to balance the two and judge each situation individually, rather than make the mistake of devaluing their training and acting like it was for naught or treating them like brainless, second-class misfits for knowing how to defend themselves.

I might also institute a cross-training program with Romulan Republic and Cardassian Defense Forces, given that some of these graduates might actually be in a particularly good position to relate to their counterparts in these services, who manage unlike the Klingon stereotype to be a military first WITHOUT resorting to brutish belligerence or conquest for the heck of it. This would further show the graduates that they are valued instead of worthless throwaways.

It is a shame that the very first post after the announcement is a troll post. Yes, yes, yes, I get it for the millionth time in the millionth post in the thousandth thread, you hate Klingons. Why not give it a rest already?
    Post edited by kyrrok on
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    kyrrok wrote: »
    It is a shame when the very first post after the announcement is a troll post. Yes, yes, yes I get it for the millionth ti
    I think maybe Quinn needs to reframe the question. He's got a false dichotomy here, one that's existed throughout Trek. I think I would tell these cadets that their skills and readiness are valuable and will help provide the strength and rapid responsiveness needed to allow them to do their other mission--science and "humanitarian"--in peace. The are explorers but NOT pushovers, and that is a good thing. I would merely ask them to balance the two and judge each situation individually, rather than make the mistake of devaluing their training and acting like it was for naught or treating them like brainless, second-class misfits for knowing how to defend themselves.

I might also institute a cross-training program with Romulan Republic and Cardassian Defense Forces, given that some of these graduates might actually be in a particularly good position to relate to their counterparts in these services, who manage unlike the Klingon stereotype to be a military first WITHOUT resorting to brutish belligerence or conquest for the heck of it. This would further show the graduates that they are valued instead of worthless throwaways.

It is a shame that the very first post after the announcement is a troll post. Yes, yes, yes I get it for the millionth time you hate Klingons. Why not give it a rest already?

I believe that you are perhaps reading WAAAAY TOO MUCH, into Gulberat's post than what's necessary.
    He's simply pointing out his opinion about Quinn's "supposed" predicament and how he would deal with it.

Perhaps you might want to try and be just a little bit less sensitive, as what I'm assuming is, you are a Klingon-centric character player?
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • tinyfistedtinyfisted Member Posts: 193 Arc User
    ...his office has a door?

Heh, yes, well, it's actually holographic silver duct tape on the floor to indicate where the door would be if he had one.
    86B6EC45459D17DB8AE6CD5F51C13A90CDC00A85
  • nebfabnebfab Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    What's this "diewar" thing Quinn was sending cadets to? Is it in the Tpyo system? :)
    Anyway, it's a nice bit of fiction, always love when game devs do something like that.
  • crazytank1crazytank1 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    tmassx wrote: »
    We can dematerialize people , travel to distant planets in a blink of an eye , speak to millions of species through a universal translator BUT....we can't fix a squeaky chair. :p

It is not a surprise, with all that technology and the internet, people are dumber and dumber.

In a sense this is true because most of us cannot do things that would've been common survival skills 100 years ago. This is why all of us turn into idiots as soon as the power goes out, both in our homes and on the road.

Not really, I remember that during the big blackout we had in 2003 that things went on, more or less, as normal here in Ontario. Aside from an increase of hanging out with neighbours and drinking beers on decks.
  • kinaenovkinaenov Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    I thought this story was completely enjoyable - well, other than the odd strikethrough/underline thing. Minor quibble.
  • kinaenovkinaenov Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    crm14916 wrote: »
    I read through threads like these and I see a bunch of grumpy people who are not happy and I ask:

4) If you want a better future, why are you waiting for someone else to design it?

Unfortunately, it's pretty common - new content coming out? Complain about the old content/bugs/assume that it's child's play to fix existing bugs without breaking other systems that would require even *more* time and resources to fix.

The devs will do what they can, when they can, with the resources they have. If fixing a bug runs the risk of potentially months of backtracking code, testing new code, etc. etc. etc. - then it's likely they won't risk it.

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    kinaenov wrote: »
    I thought this story was completely enjoyable - well, other than the odd strikethrough/underline thing. Minor quibble.
    Which as far as I can tell was intentional. totally weird, not sure exactly what it represents... but yeah, intentional.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • seperatefactionseperatefaction Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    Are we going to see future episodes on Tribble? I thought Tribble was a test server, made for ironing out bugs before release. I just got off Tribble, with less than a week before the new episode Sunrise comes out, it still hasn't been tested. So i guess we can expect a lot of Holodeck server downtime while they patch all the mistakes that should have been caught on Tribble.
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User
    Why are you guys so keen on the idea of fighting a space dragon. No rule that says every new life form must be fought. In fact there's a rule to the opposite.

"He will triumph who knows when to fight, and when not to fight."
    Sun Tzu
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • omgbamf00omgbamf00 Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    icsairguns wrote: »
    ^^
    Pretty much this... it all sounds great if you're Fed thru-and-thru, but it is totally lackluster if you are KDF-centric. This is slowly turning into (if it hasn't already) a facade of 3 factions (actually more like 2.5 factions).
  • typhoncaltyphoncal Member Posts: 247 Arc User
    If Cryptic plays it right, they could really play this new season loosely but i have been disappointed in previous years. So, lets hope we see something. Heck, didn't they lose a lot of good officers and captains and so on? You need to fill the ranks somehow right? Heck, look at how many from Voyager were promoted and given their own ship due to the Dominion War? It is the same-thing, while you want to return to diplomacy them being a war footing is not per se a bad thing.
    Commander Shran - You tell Archer, that is three the pink skin owes me!
  • acheronbladeacheronblade Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    " that dying star near Ferenginar" As a Ferengi this is relevant to my interests.
    PRWDS5g.jpg
  • trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    I'm wondering how quick this season will turn from peaceful to b'vat style diplomacy lol. Sir we are about to make first contact oh TRIBBLE good thing I had this giant contraption of a mini gun and my sword because its a hostile species and oh wait the mirror universe is coming at us too. I wonder if this sums up season 11.
  • danielhunter1991danielhunter1991 Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    I really liked this, Admiral Quinn seems to have a good sense of humour.
  • millybunmillybun Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Have to say, the odd use of the strikethrough for the "diewar" was kind of...weird. I've never seen that used before that way in dialog writing and while I can almost imagine how it might have been intended to sound like, it comes out off-putting and awkward.

It really should be one or the other. And if she's saying that verbally somehow ("die-STRIKETHROUGH-war?"), then I'd think Quinn would have had some sort of response to it.

Alternatively, it could have been written as her saying "die-er, war," as that comes off more like spoken language (in translated English, at least), and more organically implies that she was tripping over herself. Even then, I would have expected Quinn to at least make a face at her presumably unintentional word tripping that implies he'd have been sending them off to die IN war.

Regardless, this leaves me feeling like it was a mistake by the writer and they decided to leave it in as a strikethrough.

I generally enjoy the little stories, but this little bit is just too weird to pass up.

The use of underlining things for emphasis in a story like this is a bit weird, too. Unless you're trying to be over-the-top emphatic, they're probably unnecessary. If emphasis is pushed hard, could probably use italics or bold, instead.

To clarify, not saying the story is bad, but it was a bit awkward with the above.
    Post edited by millybun on
  • mvp333mvp333 Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited October 2015

Because, whether we like it or not, this is the only Star Trek game in town.
    Because people usually ask for content that isn't just more of the same, something that would actually improve the play experience, etc., if you mean ingame content. If you mean the story content, well, people are jaded. Jaded people tend to poke tons of holes in everything the devs say; what do you expect.
    We're dumb. I think most of this community just thinks of the development and PR team as just "the devs," or, in some better cases, "the devs" and "the art team."
    ...Because we're not game developers? And we have no power over Cryptic? And they never listen to our suggestions (basically, they can't. Not our fault, or their fault, but it's still true.) so most people just quit?
    I thought the story was cute. A nice introduction to new/more content. I couldn't care less about a squeaky chair, because I don't sit down and read these things looking for all that is wrong with them. With what ESD went through, it is very possible that a can of WD40 is the last thing on the repair crew's mind... Especially for an Admiral who wouldn't bother a crew to fix something meaningless like the squeak when there are so many other things they can be spending their time working on...

I look forward to the new story!
    CM

Apparently the "new story" is going to be a single episode because the devs were too busy taking a whole bunch of admittedly lackluster episodes and replacing them with four good ones. Nevertheless, given the quality of some of the recent episodes (Midnight, for instance) I'm looking forward to the new story too.

• bunansabunansa Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    Well I don't know about anyone else but this is what immediately went through my mind soon as I read dying sun

Our sun is dying. Mankind faces extinction. Seven years ago the Icarus project sent a mission to restart the sun but that mission was lost before it reached the star. Sixteen months ago, I, Robert Capa, and a crew of seven left earth frozen in a solar winter. Our payload a stellar bomb with a mass equivalent to Manhattan Island. Our purpose to create a star within a star.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsfmV17Rn4I

poor Kaneda
    tumblr_ndmkqm59J31r5ynioo2_r2_500.gif

• hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User

I'm not one of the grumpy ones. Ok, maybe I am; I am personally pissed we didn't get Iconian wear, Iconian gear, and Iconian ships after all that; not even a Promotional Mini Iconian Dreadnought (the smaller ones from the final mission rather than the massive planet-killer ones). BUT BESIDES THAT... I don't get unhappy with this game in general; if I get bored or frustrated, I have plenty of other games to play, and more incoming. I mainly stay around long enough to participate in scheduled fleet events or seasonal events. But occasional double XP weekends? Bonus Doffing points? Eh, not worth my time. Not anymore.
    I only cry when it's the same bland storytelling that isn't anywhere near the level of even the blog posts. I cried mentally when it was clear the Iconian War was not really a war and that not a single damn thing has changed. No updates to First City/Qo'nos or to New Romulus the way ESD got a Quality of Life and modernization after the last major war that damaged it, the Undine war. Even just a functional city hub for New Romulus would be leaps and bounds better than the same blasted staging area. :'(
    That's on the uninformed. But there's always that illusion that every staff member is capable of doing multiple different jobs. I wonder if they ever hired a "Moneymaker Manager" yet? That one listing that was posted repeatedly when the forums were blaming Cryptic for more cashgrab stunts? Surely they can also do game coding and storyboarding too.
    What sort of future are we talking about? My own future can only be made better if I either continue working to improve myself to the point I have a great paying job, or if I win a couple million dollars. Even just 5M or so. Whichever comes first. :p