test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[CLOSED] Week Three: Starship Design with Thomas Marrone (Official Contest Thread)

ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
edited October 2015 in Starfleet Media Corps
week-thee-four-twit.jpg

http://lootcritter.com/starship-design-with-thomas-marrone-part-three/

For additional entries into the contest, please submit your answers here - or in the blog post on lootcritter.com. Note only one entry per user will be tallied.

How to Enter:
  1. Subscribe to this blog, or to my twitter account. (pretty simple, 1 entry per, automatically every week)
  2. For BONUS entries: Post the answers to question one and two either on this weeks blog announcement, or in the official thread on lootcritter.com.
  3. Or, Tweet you answers, including your in-game handle to @Lootcritter.
Post edited by ddesjardins on

Comments

• Options
    salnaracretusalnaracretu Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    Q1: Photoshop (of course :) )
    Q2: I really like the Odyssey for its design, but currently its the Pathfinder I always use.
    “Change is the essential process of all existence.” – Spock

Join the GTribe MASSIVE UPRISING giveaway
  • Options
    nsa974nsa974 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    Q1: Photoshop
    Q2: Defiant
  • Options
    jazzinmypantsjazzinmypants Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Q2: Ateleth
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Q1: Photoshop. (I bet the number of licenses sold on that software are only a tiny fraction of the number of people using it.)
    Q2: Why such difficult questions? A ship I can always look at again and just love flying around is the Defiant (and the Sao Paulo variant, and combinations thereof). Unfortunately I haven't gone back to it much since the advent of Tier 6 ships. Pathfinder with Intrepid Nacelles and Pylons is pretty much one of my newer favorites.​​
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    methos71methos71 Member Posts: 336 Arc User
    Question One: Everyone uses Photoshop
    Question Two: Presidio Class Command Battle Cruiser
    "Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make its own judgments." -Zefram Cochrane
    Vice-Admiral Methos Corinthian
    methos71
    screenshot_2012-03-27-13-37-23.jpg

• Options
    Q1: Photoshop (of course :) )
    Q2: I really like the Odyssey for its design, but currently its the Pathfinder I always use.

First in the forum, + 2 entries
  • Options
    h2o4dph2o4dp Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    Question One: Photoshop
    Question Two: The Guardian, who doesn't like secondary nacelles?
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Question One: What tool does everyone use?

Photoshop.

Question Two: Which ship is your ‘go-to’ ship – the one ship you enjoy the most?

T6 Tactical Odyssey.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    maxtorman1706maxtorman1706 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    1. Photoshop
    2. Hazari Destroyer all the way
  • Options
    buffbuff Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    1- Photoshop
    2- Hard choice but I'll go with the Odyssey (show me a t6!)
  • Options
    ussackermanussackerman Member Posts: 275 Bug Hunter
    Q2: Wells Class Temporal Science Vessel or the Jem'Hadar Dreadnaught Carrier
  • Options
    rigilgearwerksrigilgearwerks Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    Q2: I've been fond of the Chimera/Manticore class ship. It's very versatile, and easy to change roles mid mission.
  • Options
    dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    q! Photoshop
    q@ Been Pathfinder, but the Vesta keeps trying to draw me back into it...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • Options
    warlicker84warlicker84 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    Q2: I've been fond of the T6 Neg'Tev
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    Q2: Galaxy. It was the ship I came here to fly and one way or another I always end up back in it.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    draenar13draenar13 Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    Q1. EVERYONE uses Photoshop.
    Q2. T6F Mogh, IKS Hegh yoHwl'pu''e', reporting!

(Named for the saying "reH Hegh yoHwI’pu’’e’", or "Always it is the brave ones who die.")
  • Options
    giliongilion Member Posts: 686 Arc User
    Hmm, Q1 is a little vague. Im assuming since "EVERYONE uses Photoshop" that thats the answer, but a little confusing since the article was about 3D design.
    Q2: Odyssey Science Cruiser

Also, it takes 20 days to model one ship?!? WTF!?! I mean ya I didnt think it was easy, but I really dont see one ship taking almost a month to model. Especially if thats the artists only job during that time.
    Q1: phtoshop
    Q2: Akira
  • Options
    gilion wrote: »
    Hmm, Q1 is a little vague. Im assuming since "EVERYONE uses Photoshop" that thats the answer, but a little confusing since the article was about 3D design.
    Q2: Odyssey Science Cruiser

Also, it takes 20 days to model one ship?!? WTF!?! I mean ya I didnt think it was easy, but I really dont see one ship taking almost a month to model. Especially if thats the artists only job during that time.

Yeah, the question was a little vague. But I was trying to make it easy ;)

As for modeling the ship - I was surprised it didn't take longer! Back in the day I could crank out a complete website for a client in under 24 hours (not my finest work). Today working for a corporate entity, it took us 147 days to design, redesign, iterate, transmogrify and get approvals for just the homepage - and we're still not happy with it. The process is incredibly detailed, with hundreds of check-points for technical, legal and stakeholder requirements. I would imagine the details in building out the ship and tweaking the skin (check out part four of the article) can be all-consuming.
  • Options
    iamnotatworkiamnotatwork Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    1. Photoshop
    2. Fleet Assault Cruiser
  • Options
    antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    (Blog link went to wrong thread)
    Q2: DSD
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • Options
    doctheopdoctheop Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    Q2: Tac Command Cruiser
  • Options
    belisariusdbelisariusd Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    Q1: Photoshop.
    Q2: I'm really fond of the Resolute. It's not exactly a powerhouse, comparatively, but I find it comfortable. Plus I've always been a fan of the Excelsior.
  • Options
    alpharnalpharn Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    Q1. Photoshop.
    Q2. Odyssey Science Cruiser, T5-U of course.
  • Options
    linuxkn1ghtlinuxkn1ght Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    Q2: Defiant, Fleet T5U

(T6 Defiant pls? KTHXBAI!)
  • Options
    sinn74sinn74 Member Posts: 1,149 Arc User
    1- Photoshop
    2- If I had to pick one, the TalShiar destroyer. But all of my alts use something different.
  • Options
    lindalefflindaleff Member Posts: 3,734 Arc User
    1: Photoshop

2: My favourite ship is the Jem'Hadar Dreadnought.
    I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
    My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
    Click here to view my DeviantArt.
  • Options
    guljarolguljarol Member Posts: 979 Arc User
    Q1: EVERYONE uses Photoshop
    (I don't :tongue:;))
    Q2: D'Khellra​​
  • Options
    wobbletwobblet Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Q1: photoshop, everyone uses it even the borg.
    Q2: Tholian Recluse!
  • Options
    rogue6800rogue6800 Member Posts: 213 Arc User
    Q2: T6 Fleet Exploration Cruiser