test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PODCAST] Tribbles in Ecstasy Take 188: "More Passengers"

midniteshadow7midniteshadow7 Member Posts: 787 Arc User
Captain MidNite Shadow leads the rest of the USS Tribble crew in an interview with 5th Passenger cast and crew, Scott Baker, Morgan Lariah and David Lim before discussing all the news from Star Trek Online and Star Trek.

You can stream and download the episode here: http://bit.ly/1ji3Hzl

5th Passenger is an Indie SciFi Horror film starring Star Trek stars Marina Sirtis (Star Trek: The Next Generation), Armin Shimerman (Star Trek: Deep Space 9), Tim Russ (Star Trek: Voyager), Manu Intiraymi (Star Trek: Voyager) and Hana Hatae (Star Trek: Deep Space 9).
The 5th Passenger production are looking for support with their Indiegogo to finish the VFX for the film and you can help here: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/5th-passenger-vfx-funding

After the 5th Passenger interview we discuss the following in this week’s episode:
  • Galactic Restoration Event,
  • Design Your Ship contest,
  • The Badlands Battlezone,
  • Tier 6 Dreadnoughts,
  • the new Role Playing Blog,
  • Krenim Research Ramification,
  • STO Release Notes,
  • Star Trek Anthology
  • Internity
  • Star Trek Beyond,
  • Aron Eisenberg,
  • Star Trek: Horizon,
  • and more!

Comment on this post to give us your thoughts on anything we have discussed on the show.

Please help friend of the show and fellow Star Trek Online player and podcaster Mav with donations to support his recovery with his current health situation here: http://www.gofundme.com/tomsrecovery.

Comments

• alex1geralex1ger Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    I'm not really in the mood to write an essay (you have three guesses why), so I think this will be brief...

"RP blog":
    I really liked it, but like I mentioned during the show, the one point that didn't quite click with me was the Kolasi siege destroyer. The blog talks about these "big, dangerous" ships that are supposed to basically intimidate any potential enemy and prove the respective faction's "power". I can see that with the Galaxy-X (even though I still think it's a silly ship) and the Ha'apax. But the Kolasi is a siege destroyer and a nausicaan (not a klingon...) ship on top of that. To me, some kind of "All Good Things" Negh'var Dreadnought would have made much more sense here. But that's just my opinion.
  • sistericsisteric Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    I thought the Kolasi was a decent choice. The fact that it's a non-Klingon design makes feel that there is change going on in the KDF upper command reflecting the increasing number of non-Klingon races gaining positions of influence and power with the Empire. It also made sense to me in that the had the previous tier design, and with KDF being strapped in resources, they turned to taking older designs and updating them, allowing them to quickly get an equivalent ship out to maintain the parity with the Republic and Federation. The Empire's culture should be changing by the very fact that other races are now involved in the decision making levels of the KDF.
    Federation: Fleet Admiral Zombee (Alien Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Danic (Vulcan Science)::Fleet Admiral Daniel Kochheiser (Human Engineer)
    KDF: Dahar Master Kan (Borg Klingon Tactical)::Dahar Master Torc (Alien Science)::Dahar Master Sisteric (Gorn Engineer)
    RR-Fed: Citizen Sirroc (Romulan Science)::Fleet Admiral Grell (Alien Engineer)
    RR-KDF: Fleet Admiral Zemo (Reman Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Xinatek (Reman Science)::Fleet Admiral Bel (Alien Engineer)
    TOS-Fed: Fleet Admiral Katem (Andorian Tactical)::Lieutenant Commander Straad (Vulcan Engineer)
    Dom-Fed: Dan'Tar (Jem'Hadar Science)
    Dom-KDF: Kamtana'Solan (Jem'Hadar Science)

CoHost of Tribbles in Ecstasy (Zombee)
  • sunseahlsunseahl Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    alex1ger wrote: »
    I'm not really in the mood to write an essay (you have three guesses why), so I think this will be brief...

"RP blog":
    I really liked it, but like I mentioned during the show, the one point that didn't quite click with me was the Kolasi siege destroyer. The blog talks about these "big, dangerous" ships that are supposed to basically intimidate any potential enemy and prove the respective faction's "power". I can see that with the Galaxy-X (even though I still think it's a silly ship) and the Ha'apax. But the Kolasi is a siege destroyer and a nausicaan (not a klingon...) ship on top of that. To me, some kind of "All Good Things" Negh'var Dreadnought would have made much more sense here. But that's just my opinion.

I really wanted to mention on the show that i thought it was a laugh and somewhat of a farce that Wetu and the Deltan are going back and forth about "keeping up" with the other factions firepower....

when the Gal-x is the ONLY force in the quadrant with a full suite of "hit all the buttons" powers.... It took till NOW to stick a Plasma Lance on a Romulan ship for christ's sake and most Klingons ships STILL have no console set bonuses.​​
    Member of the "Disenchanted"
    We don't want what the Feds have. We want the equivalent. We want fairer treatment. Concern, desire, greed to some extent, and passionate belief that the enough people would buy KDF items to make it worth Cryptic's while.
  • sistericsisteric Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    sunseahl wrote: »

"RP blog":

I really wanted to mention on the show that i thought it was a laugh and somewhat of a farce that Wetu and the Deltan are going back and forth about "keeping up" with the other factions firepower....

when the Gal-x is the ONLY force in the quadrant with a full suite of "hit all the buttons" powers.... It took till NOW to stick a Plasma Lance on a Romulan ship for christ's sake and most Klingons ships STILL have no console set bonuses.​​

From a roleplaying standpoint, The Federation relies on technology and inventive uses of it to "fight". The KDF is more militant in their approach and rely more on tactics and strategic maneuvers to win battles than technology. RSE was always more Stealth and Intelligence to strike at weak points. And when you look at it from that perspective, The KDF not having a lot of console sets makes sense. To me, this is how the parity was reached on a regular basis.

But translating that into the game is a difficult thing to do.
    My thoughts would be to give the Feds the consoles, but give the Klingons stacking bonuses when they work together. And then you can give the Republic a building bonus against a single target. To reflect these ways of gaining parity. Always in the shows you see one fed ship facing off against multiple Klingon or Romulan ships. With the Klingons always doing coordinated attack runs. And the Romulans always trying to show their superiority with shows of force. (or at least that's how I remember it.)
    Federation: Fleet Admiral Zombee (Alien Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Danic (Vulcan Science)::Fleet Admiral Daniel Kochheiser (Human Engineer)
    KDF: Dahar Master Kan (Borg Klingon Tactical)::Dahar Master Torc (Alien Science)::Dahar Master Sisteric (Gorn Engineer)
    RR-Fed: Citizen Sirroc (Romulan Science)::Fleet Admiral Grell (Alien Engineer)
    RR-KDF: Fleet Admiral Zemo (Reman Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Xinatek (Reman Science)::Fleet Admiral Bel (Alien Engineer)
    TOS-Fed: Fleet Admiral Katem (Andorian Tactical)::Lieutenant Commander Straad (Vulcan Engineer)
    Dom-Fed: Dan'Tar (Jem'Hadar Science)
    Dom-KDF: Kamtana'Solan (Jem'Hadar Science)

CoHost of Tribbles in Ecstasy (Zombee)
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User

"RP blog":
    I don't know. The Galaxy-X is still a Starfleet ship - at first, it looks like nothing threatening. Unlike the regular Galaxy (or Andromeda) the X at least it has a big gun underneath. But while the gun is big - it's a relatively small part of the ship and it has a giant back with nacelles and all. If you know warp travel, you might assume it's fast.
    The Kara - you might not even realize there is a big gun in there somewhere, and while it looks like a bird of prey, it seems to be an owl. Depending on your planet's culture and fauna, you might consider this a deadly predator, but if you're a human, you probably think of an owl more like a symbol of wisdom.

The Kolasi/Gurumba - especially in siege mode - just looks like trouble. Even if you never met a Nausicaan before, and have no idea if they are aggressive and/or technologically advanced, if you see a Gurumba you will assume it means trouble. Especially if it unfolds to siege mode in front of you. You probably have no idea what is a gun on that ship, or what is an engine, or what's just a docking clamp, but you will rather not have that pointed at you. Or your ship. Or your base. Or your planet.​​
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.