test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

UFOs, Ghosts & other weird experiences

proteusrexproteusrex Member Posts: 62 Arc User
edited October 2015 in Ten Forward
I saw a few people talk about UFOs on some other threads.
I was just wondering if anyone has real-life experiences with the weird or unexplained. I'm fascinated by real world accounts and would love to hear of yours.

I'll start with my own experience.

I hit a ghost with my car.

I grew up in a small rural farming community. When I was a teenager, I used to work in a nearby town and occasionally had some pretty late nights. On the way home, about a kilometer from where my father grew up there was the remains of a small town named Malcolm. It had been gone for a long time, by the time I was born there wasn't much left of it, just a cemetery and the remains of a one-roomed school house.

One night when I was 17 or 18 years old, I worked until 11pm or so. It was a weird summer night and a thick fog had settled on the area. My headlights illuminated the fog, and it was like driving through a white nothingness. Visibility couldn't have been more than 50m in any direction, it was a slow drive and I was on edge. Lucky for me, it was late enough and remote enough that there were no other cars on the road.

As I came through Malcolm, something suddenly appeared in front of me. It was a featureless black silhouette of a person standing in the middle of the road. It was like something was standing between my headlights and the white, and casting a shadow against it, but there was nothing there. It was probably about as tall as I am, and it wasn't moving. I hit the brakes, but I was going fast enough that I didn't stop in time. I ran right through it before the car came to a stop.

When the car stopped, I took a few deep breaths, checked my mirrors and stuck my head out of the car to see if I actually did hit something, but I was too freaked out to get out.

There was no contact with anything, no thump, or bump, or damage to the car, so I was reasonably sure I didn't make a new ghost. I sat there for a moment trying to calm down, and then hurried on home. I was cold, and it really did feel like my hairs were all standing on end.

When I told my dad about it, he told me a story (from before he was born) about a nearby farmer who was having an affair with a neighbours wife, and he was supposedly hit and killed on that road (by the husband), not far from Malcolm.

I really don't know if that story was true or if he was just messing with me, I couldn't find any corroborating evidence when I tried to research it.

But I swear that's what I saw.
Post edited by proteusrex on

Comments

• legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,275 Arc User
    proteusrex wrote: »
    I hit a ghost with my car.

kind of a misnomer there, since you can't actually hit a ghost​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • proteusrexproteusrex Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    kind of a misnomer there, since you can't actually hit a ghost​​

Hahaha true.
    At the time it happened, it felt like I 'emotionally' hit something, even if I didn't physically hit it.
    As a result, I usually lead the story with that little tag line. "I passed through a ghost with my car" just doesn't pull the same emotional weight in my memory. If that makes sense.
  • grandnaguszek1grandnaguszek1 Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    I don't know if it was a plane or not, but once on a clear morning I sat down at my dining room table to eat breakfast and began staring out the window. Now the city I live in (Reno) is surrounded by mountains on just about all sides. When I was looking to the east, I saw a bright light that was hovering in mid-air above a very large hill. It looked like the sun was reflecting off a smooth surface as what often happens with houses on that hill in the morning, however this didn't move at all. It hovered there for about 5 minutes before it finally faded out. I then checked to see if it was a plane reflecting light but there was no plane. Plus, air traffic comes from our southwest, not east. It just seemed really weird at the time.
    say-star-wars-is-better.jpg
  • lindalefflindaleff Member Posts: 3,734 Arc User
    I personally guarantee you. All of these odd aircraft you see floating about, they are all under contract with the USAF.
    I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
    My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
    Click here to view my DeviantArt.