test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

UPDATED: CONTEST DETAILS FOR “Starship Creation ” Q&A SERIES with Thomas Marrone

ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
edited September 2015 in Starfleet Media Corps

You can read the full blog post and contest outline here.

Hi All -

Next Monday we'll be launching a series of posts with Thomas Marrone about the Starship Creation process within Star Trek Online. Just how big is this? Well, Thomas wrote thousands upon thousands of words in his response to the Lootcritters questions. So instead of 1 post, it's going to be 5 over five weeks.

Plus, to celebrate this new series, and the Lootcritter's 1 year anniversary as a blogger, he's giving away STARSHIP's and Cryptic is adding to the reward pile with ZEN.

contest.jpg

Find out more at Lootcritter.com - the Contest begins NEXT WEEK!

Post edited by ddesjardins on

Comments

• Options
    hrci2907hrci2907 Member Posts: 648 Media Corps
    Nice one! Always great to see these giveaways in the community! It just shows its the best community out there.
    "This is your ultimate STO Youtube channel!"
    https://youtube.com/user/MyBalkanGaming
  • Options
    primar13primar13 Member Posts: 1,896 Bug Hunter
    Free Stuffs!!!

YAY!
  • Options
    carbonunit13carbonunit13 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    I would be more excited about the "Starship Creation" event if all the ship designs didn't look horrible or almost identical.

You would think there would be an actual variety of designs not just the same one with a slightly modified saucer or a placement and number of nacelles, etc.

Give us a selection or just come out and say we plan to build this but want you to say the community did.
  • Options
    I would be more excited about the "Starship Creation" event if all the ship designs didn't look horrible or almost identical.

You would think there would be an actual variety of designs not just the same one with a slightly modified saucer or a placement and number of nacelles, etc.

Give us a selection or just come out and say we plan to build this but want you to say the community did.

Yeah - I'd love it if we could 'kitbash' our own ships. But the reality is the system was never designed for that, and the existing models are always update candidates.

But I will say this - the promotion is a huge step to engage the community. Like any new venture especial with fans who can be 'tough as nails' if it doesn't go right or extremely judgmental, I think it's a great move in the right direction.

Which is a perfect side step for me to promote the upcoming blog series where we 'peel back the curtain' a bit in the process of ship design.
  • Options
    carbonunit13carbonunit13 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    That is not what I mean though.

What I am saying is for this competition not for players to create their own ships. The voting contest could break it down by component. So have a day be the saucer and the saucer only. Throw like 8 variants of a saucer up and for the love of the players make some nice variations. The next could be the hull and so forth and so on and let the community actually build the next ship. Actually use this as a way to engage the community and tie them more into your product. Hell you could be lazy and present full designs but for the love of god make them actually different.

Yes one can argue they are different but the truth is they are also so similar it looks like a Dev literally spent 15 minutes on a paper napkin making something look just a little different to call them such. OR they want a ship they designed but want to claim the community did it.

It is like Champions Online when they opened up a new update and literally the "Master Villian Lair" regardless which of the 5 supposedly unique bosses you chose had the EXACT SAME BASE, same spawn in points, and loot. Literally it was lets copy and paste this five times to make it look like there is more here. Laziness and they were blasted for it.

Dev's stop being lazy and give us something to really be excited about.
  • Options
    castiuscastius Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    2rd? LOL
    Yeah - I'd love it if we could 'kitbash' our own ships.

Well i dont know for how long you have been around but the Enterprise-F was a community contest and the ship is a complete player design.

• Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    The kitbash idea is an interesting one, but I feel like it would make the contest take a LOT longer, and in the end, no one would be happy with how it came out. Yes, you picked the components, but "I don't like how they put them together!"

The advantage to the method we're running here, is that all of the variants have been approved as potential ships. So we know that CBS and the higher ups are ok with any of those going through. What would become of a kitbash might end up being some horrible monstrosity that no one likes, but which still matches up to what everyone chose.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    sarosssaross Member Posts: 248 Media Corps
    edited September 2015
    tacofangs wrote: »
    The kitbash idea is an interesting one, but I feel like it would make the contest take a LOT longer, and in the end, no one would be happy with how it came out. Yes, you picked the components, but "I don't like how they put them together!"

The advantage to the method we're running here, is that all of the variants have been approved as potential ships. So we know that CBS and the higher ups are ok with any of those going through. What would become of a kitbash might end up being some horrible monstrosity that no one likes, but which still matches up to what everyone chose.

Maybe then pulling in well done artist rendition from around the community for things? Limit it from being just hand drawn to actually being a CGI style drawing to limit your time recreating it and while you pull the specifics together gathering the permissions.

Put guidelines on things so that when submitted if it doesn't meet certain criteria it doesn't go on to round 2 so that CBS would have it would line those ship drawings to actually be easier to get passed off.

Either way you still have to get the OK from CBS and the higher ups. But this way the good artists out there can also get recognized in the community along with things. Sure this time make it one of the drawings you have, but start a next competition to give time to those out there between like next week and when this ends to get drawings to allow you to get approvals and then community votes. There's many good renditions out there already that MANY would just LOVE to get and many who play are great artists.​​
    Need help with a mission to beat it? Visit http://pilotreviewshow.com to learn how we can help!

Top DPS 102k
  • Options
    castius wrote: »
    2rd? LOL
    Yeah - I'd love it if we could 'kitbash' our own ships.

Well i dont know for how long you have been around but the Enterprise-F was a community contest and the ship is a complete player design.

I was around, but completely unaware of the player involvement until much later. I wasn't 'engaged' in the game back then. My comments on kitbashes are completely a fanboy dream. I realize that if players are given the ability to kitbash, we'd see monstrosities of all sizes and shapes, leading the IP holders likely to be very unhappy.

While we can't grab the nacelles off of a cruiser and throw them on a shuttle, the current methodology is broader than it was a few years ago. Command ships, Pilot ships, and to a lessor extend the new Alita all have multiple options for customizing the design, all within an aesthetic framework which 'works' while maintaining the original design. I'm satisfied, and will leave the what if designs for Deviant Art ;)

That's why I like the current design process. It's simple, acceptable to the IP holders, and it engages the community. THAT, and we're getting a full, honest-to-goodness fed-centric science carrier!

My Two Bits

• Options
    vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User
    That is not what I mean though.

What I am saying is for this competition not for players to create their own ships. The voting contest could break it down by component. So have a day be the saucer and the saucer only. Throw like 8 variants of a saucer up and for the love of the players make some nice variations. The next could be the hull and so forth and so on and let the community actually build the next ship. Actually use this as a way to engage the community and tie them more into your product. Hell you could be lazy and present full designs but for the love of god make them actually different.

Yes one can argue they are different but the truth is they are also so similar it looks like a Dev literally spent 15 minutes on a paper napkin making something look just a little different to call them such. OR they want a ship they designed but want to claim the community did it.

It is like Champions Online when they opened up a new update and literally the "Master Villian Lair" regardless which of the 5 supposedly unique bosses you chose had the EXACT SAME BASE, same spawn in points, and loot. Literally it was lets copy and paste this five times to make it look like there is more here. Laziness and they were blasted for it.

Dev's stop being lazy and give us something to really be excited about.

I have to agree with this. I'd like more SUBSTANTIAL variety in the choices too. As it were now, one merely has to squint and they all seem quite alike. The overall result is still going to be the same general design, with but only minor tweaks to show for all of this hoopla.

tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• Options
    jrq2jrq2 Member Posts: 263 Arc User
    tacofangs wrote: »

Well on the bright side we could always call it the Frankenstein class
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    Apparently someone feels the Jem ship is a TRIBBLE (2rd).
    <chuckle>
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    mayito2009mayito2009 Member Posts: 643 Arc User
    Great news, hopefully someone gets a nice present.
    Seek and ye shall find. Ask and ye shall receive. Rabboni
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" (Benjamin Franklin).

Most unexpectedly, this turned into a flame-fest! Closed it goes!. /sigh What flamefestery is this? pwlaughingtrendy
  • Options
    daveyny wrote: »
    Apparently someone feels the Jem ship is a TRIBBLE (2rd).
    <chuckle>
    B)

Actually , I thinks it's pretty cool, hence it's inclusion ;)
  • Options
    mayito2009mayito2009 Member Posts: 643 Arc User
    I am not going to win anything so I wish to the winners good luck.
    Seek and ye shall find. Ask and ye shall receive. Rabboni
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" (Benjamin Franklin).

Most unexpectedly, this turned into a flame-fest! Closed it goes!. /sigh What flamefestery is this? pwlaughingtrendy
  • Options
    giliongilion Member Posts: 686 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    I'll read each and every blog entry from now until you stop making them and even advertise to my fleet if you give me that Sci Dread :P
    To quote the local lottery commercials - you can't win if you don't enter ;) Grammar not withstanding...

The good news is that you don't really have to do anything, except read the blog if you want extra entries ;) Subscribers get 1 entry per week without trying. You don't have improve your DPS, swear an oath of fealty, or sell your body parts on the black market. All I will expect you to do is thank Trendy and Thomas for all their hard work!

I'll be posting the contest rules tonight.

• Options
    guljarolguljarol Member Posts: 979 Arc User
    To quote the local lottery commercials - you can't win if you don't enter ;) Grammar not withstanding...

The good news is that you don't really have to do anything, except read the blog if you want extra entries ;) Subscribers get 1 entry per week without trying. You don't have improve your DPS, swear an oath of fealty, or sell your body parts on the black market. All I will expect you to do is thank Trendy and Thomas for all their hard work!

How about selling somebody else's body parts on the black market? >:)​​
  • Options
    guljarol wrote: »

How about selling somebody else's body parts on the black market? >:)​​

Maybe...