test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Science Ship Build Thread

Comments

• coruunascoruunas Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Dumb question - do any of you folks run any of those Voth reputation consoles....(the ones that help certain sci builds, that help shields, etc...)

Shield Refrequencer

I considered it,but The secondary effects limited the amount of flow i got so i decided no.
    One of those do I want the icing or the cake decisions.

I might try it on a plasma torp variant, was goofing off last night in my nebula and for some reason I hadn't changed over to my partgen consoles, still had my flow consoles in. It might just have been my imagination but it seemed more effective that way. <shrug> test that out when I get the chance.

• lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2015
    coruunas wrote: »
    Still want more flow caps, stalled around 300.

1) Terran deflector and any second set piece.
    2) R&D sci [FLOW]
    3) R&D Eng [FLOW]
    4) Nukara 2 piece
    5) Hirogen (APEX) 2 piece
    6) 4 embassy or R&D holding sci consoles [FLOW]
    7) Astrophysicist trait
    8) Maxed out skill in tree
    9) Rule 62 console
    10) Solanae or Inhibiting 2nd deflector with [FLOW]
    11) Quantum Phase Converter Universal Console
    Post edited by lucho80 on
    lucho80 wrote: »
    Still want more flow caps, stalled around 300.

1) Tachyon [Flow]x2 or Dominion are best deflectors right now. Once the Terran set drops, the Terran deflector and any second piece will be the best choice.
    2) R&D sci [FLOW]
    3) R&D Eng [FLOW]
    4) Nukara 2 piece
    5) Hirogen 2 piece
    6) 4 embassy or R&D holding sci consoles [FLOW]
    7) Astrophysicist trait
    8) Maxed out skill in tree
    9) Rule 62 console
    10) Solanae or Inhibiting deflector with [FLOW]

Max right now = 453. This will go up to the 460s in S11.

Thanks....I like to know my options. 300's nice, I can usually turn anything but a boss into a weaponless, motionless bare hull long enough for the torpedoes to inflict heavy or fatal damage, but more drain can help keep em down longer if needs be.

• svindal777svindal777 Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    Might as well ad mine. The empty sci slots are research lab consoles (skillplanner doesn't have them yet) [gravgen] and [partgen] mods.
    skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=ussmuspelheim1_0

Thinking of adding a 2nd torp, in place of the fluidic beam, and the character is in desperate need of a respec. But, it gets the job done. This thing crushes sphere swarms.
    Well excuse me for having enormous flaws that I don't work on.
    Not being a PvP'r I don't know how effective this would be...

Call it an AWACS build, essentially a nebula with as much into sensors as possible.
    Not a DPS ship at all, designed to detect and vector friendly ships to cloaked targets before ambushing them. Needless to say it requires teamwork.

MES <gasp> to hopefully keep own ship out of view until all is ready
    GW1 or something for the big reveal
  • e30erneste30ernest Member Posts: 1,794 Arc User
    lordsteve1 wrote: »
    So I've been very much enjoying the plasma emission torpedo this week.

Combined with the R&D console that add extra damage when an exotic damage occurs this proc is going off all the time nearly as the could counts as exotic damage I think? Been getting some massive damage from this torp since I started using the new console.

Just tested this now. PEP doesn't seem to proc the R&D console. Or maybe I was just unlucky with just 1 console equipped? Or perhaps this was changed with the recent patch.

edited October 2015
    Initial prototype of the AWACS.
    http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skillplanner/index.php?build=awacs_11179
    The ship really shouldn't enter sustained combat, that is not its role. It serves as a command and control platform, to detect incoming ships and route that information to the team. I seemed to be detecting cloaked ships far enough away to be able to warn others (had there been any others on the map). The weapons are there to slow an enemy down long enough to break contact and remask. In past experiences in Ker'rat as soon as a nebula showed up it instantly become a magnet for fire as all nearby klingons disengaged their targets to go after the neb. I didn't see that behavior this time around, only getting destroyed after foolishly entering combat, hoping to help another player finish off his opponent.

Initial testing was promising but Ker'rat is pretty much empty at 54. Ideally it works with a team using a voice program

Some tweaks to drain/torp
    Hoping to fit 2 each of the upcoming terran sets into the build

http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=curareclass_11179

Post edited by coruunas on
    Not being a PvP'r I don't know how effective this would be...

Call it an AWACS build, essentially a nebula with as much into sensors as possible.
    Not a DPS ship at all, designed to detect and vector friendly ships to cloaked targets before ambushing them. Needless to say it requires teamwork.

MES <gasp> to hopefully keep own ship out of view until all is ready
    GW1 or something for the big reveal

Lol, funny in Ker'rat to sniff out cloaked targets from far far away.
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    e30ernest wrote: »
    So I've been very much enjoying the plasma emission torpedo this week.

Combined with the R&D console that add extra damage when an exotic damage occurs this proc is going off all the time nearly as the could counts as exotic damage I think? Been getting some massive damage from this torp since I started using the new console.

Just tested this now. PEP doesn't seem to proc the R&D console. Or maybe I was just unlucky with just 1 console equipped? Or perhaps this was changed with the recent patch.

I haven't been able to test it myself it just seemed to me to be doing a hell of a lot more damage after I slotted the R&D console, and it looked too much of an increase to be from the [prtg] boost alone.
    But maybe it was just luck after all and it doesn't affect it?

Can any devs confirm this?
    SulMatuul.png
  • antep01antep01 Member Posts: 96 Arc User
    My new Intrepid t6 Fleet Version Sci Dps record 91,6k

http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skillplanner/?build=916kdpssciscicaptain_9850
    Finally got my alt up to 60 so I could do a more optimized test of the AWACS
    http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=awacs_11179
    It went more or less how I imagined it.

Seemed to be detecting cloaked vessels in excess of 15k, I assume that the others just had base stealth values. Died of course, without a team and/or voice comms the only way I could relay any info was by SA followed by grav well which left her vulnerable to attack. If I could get her away fast enough and remask that seemed to throw off pursuit as I saw hunting BoP and raptors flying search patterns on her last course, probably relying on their sensors to search instead of looking for the ship shaped dark blob with their eyes.

The chroniton mines were a partial bust as I'm fairly certain Pilot team was in use. They did serve well as an ablative shield for FAW, every beam that hit a mine was one less that hit her.

Conceptually it worked, but in order to work well it needs a team player (with comms) who doesn't care about their own DPS, and has the inclination to manage the battlespace.
    edited November 2015

Seemed to be detecting cloaked vessels in excess of 15k, I assume that the others just had base stealth values. Died of course, without a team and/or voice comms the only way I could relay any info was by SA followed by grav well which left her vulnerable to attack. If I could get her away fast enough and remask that seemed to throw off pursuit as I saw hunting BoP and raptors flying search patterns on her last course, probably relying on their sensors to search instead of looking for the ship shaped dark blob with their eyes.

The chroniton mines were a partial bust as I'm fairly certain Pilot team was in use. They did serve well as an ablative shield for FAW, every beam that hit a mine was one less that hit her.

Conceptually it worked, but in order to work well it needs a team player (with comms) who doesn't care about their own DPS, and has the inclination to manage the battlespace.

Lol, and you're not even using rep gear,fleet, or R&D consoles. I've heard with a Nebula and it's consoles, you can see cloaked targets 25km away. By the way, a Dominion deflector or a Romulan rep deflector is better for cloaking detection.
    Fleet Long Range Science Vessel (Pathfinder)/Tier 6
    Description

This is a variation of my Intrepid build. It's a park and shoot build, designed to deal high spike damage from a distance. Best parse is 100k in CCA (PUG) and averages in the 70-80k range.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/stobuilds/comments/3sjd7a/intrepid_scitorp_siege_ship_100k_in_cca/

I love the concept! I may try to copy this when I get the resources. I wonder if I can make a partgen snooper build. Thank you for posting this, got some ideas on where to start and the general direction I could take.
    edited November 2015
    Still have a number of changes and new ideas for the AWACS. I didn't realize that the impulse burst started a cooldown with evasive, so gotta dump that. Chroniton mines to photon mines.

Will probably invest in a retrain for my main sci captain as she has goodies the alt doesn't. Jem dish and more traits for starters.
    I think the main has the full hirogen set, which will permit beyond standard range shots. Couple that with a bio-neural, might make things more interesting. Perhaps even the alpha deception field, if i can shoehorn it in.

Edit: Hmmm it seems the only char I have with all of those particular goodies is my romulan engineer, might make a DSD variant and see how that goes, if nothing else romulan battle cloak will negate the need for masking in the BO spot.
    Post edited by coruunas on
    I went back to my old Vesta this weekend and have been slotting all of the torp/exotic boosts I have access to. So that's the Terran rep 2pc, Quantum phase 3pc, Delta rep 3pc.

The Quantum beam from the 3pc set combined with isokinetic cannon and the destabilized resonance beam is a lethal science alpha strike. I've been enjoying nuking the MI dreadnought before anyone else gets close, probably in less that 5 seconds.

I'm aware the quantum phase torp is due a nerf soon so i'm cautious about it at the moment but it is good fun and one of the best science type torps i've seen. Even with a ship aimed mainly at CC and partigens it does pretty well.

Basically on my Vesta at the moment the actual energy weapons are doing no damage, they just allow some set bonuses. Almost all damage is from science abilities and torps.
    SulMatuul.png
  • odinforever20000odinforever20000 Member Posts: 1,849 Arc User
    I'm aware the quantum phase torp is due a nerf soon so i'm cautious about it at the moment but it is good fun and one of the best science type torps i've seen. Even with a ship aimed mainly at CC and partigens it does pretty well.

Basically on my Vesta at the moment the actual energy weapons are doing no damage, they just allow some set bonuses. Almost all damage is from science abilities and torps.

Wha? Is there a thread where someone is calling for this? Its a great shield stripping torpedo IF you have the flowcaps to make it so.
    I have 300 and 500 flow caps builds that make great use of that torp in PVE. PVP I only tested my 300 flowcaps build with the 50% shield pen trait. With out it, probably say its just a really good/all the time Tetryon proc

The_Science_Channel_Signature_Gen_2_-_Jacobs_xSmall.png

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

Wha? Is there a thread where someone is calling for this? Its a great shield stripping torpedo IF you have the flowcaps to make it so.
    I have 300 and 500 flow caps builds that make great use of that torp in PVE. PVP I only tested my 300 flowcaps build with the 50% shield pen trait. With out it, probably say its just a really good/all the time Tetryon proc

There was an issue with the torp's AOE component that was causing lag in Torpedo Spread, so they are changing how the torp works in that firing mode.

From this thread.
    Just a quick heads-up here, we're making some changes to the functionality of Quantum Phase Torpedo and how it interacts with Torpedo: Spread.

As many of you are aware, a Quantum Phase Torpedo Spread currently triggers a shield drain AoE for each torpedo which hits a target. We've changed how the Quantum Phase Torpedo Spread works to only trigger off your main target for when you fired the spread. Once the change goes to Holodeck, you'll see Quantum Phase Torpedo Spread trigger one AoE, centered around the main target. This AoE will have a 4km radius and significantly improved damage compared to the standard shield drain AoE.

We're making a similar change to Kemocite-Laced Weaponry, where Torpedo: Spread will only trigger one Kemocite Explosion for each torpedo which hits the main target. The spread-based Kemocite Explosions will also deal increased damage compared to the Kemocite Explosion from a standard torpedo.

These changes are partly for balance purposes (in a target-rich environment these abilities were rather out-of-hand), and partly for performance purposes.

The functionality of these abilities with other Torpedo abilities is unchanged.
    The prowler-type, a variant of the Curare-type nebula drain/torp build that I posted earlier.
    Similar setup but with the primary focus on [CMS] instead of [flow]. Tyk 3 replaced with scramble 3 and Structural Collapsed 3 replaced with extend shields 1.

Essentially it's a Electronic Warfare/support platform designed for missions like "Counterpoint" and "Mirror Invasion" that have swarms of enemies and something to protect

With mk XIII CMS consoles and graviton [cms] deflector along with the high aux power levels it gives a 37second scramble. If I understand the scramble mechanic properly that should give only 20 second periods where groups of enemies are not scrambled permitting SS3 everytime it recovers from cooldown.

The rest is the same as the curare-type, just more single target oriented without TR3. With proper upgrades I think I can get some more flow consoles or different dishes while keeping the scramble duration right around that 40 second zone.

The right boff/doff selection can probably make this nasty for a science PVP build. A little jam, then when cleared a subnuc, then a doffed scramble. Someones probably already done it, but even with PVP scramble times it has to be annoying.
    I've made a rough sketch of a -res build for my nebula's.

Now I don't know much about the mechanics of -res, what stacks, etc. (and no don't try to show me a formula my eyes will glass over and I'll faceplant my keyboard) So I'm mainly fishing around to see what works. At its base the ship is a plasma torp/partgen build, meant to hold its own while still contributing to the overall team effort with the -res stuff. My testing alt doesn't have all goodies like DRB (annoying that I can't transfer those skills to my alt),

(most Mk and rarity skipped and of course non-fleet gear, doesn't look like stoacademy has terran gear in it yet) http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=res_11179
    The prowler-type, a variant of the Curare-type nebula drain/torp build that I posted earlier.
    Similar setup but with the primary focus on [CMS] instead of [flow]. Tyk 3 replaced with scramble 3 and Structural Collapsed 3 replaced with extend shields 1.

Essentially it's a Electronic Warfare/support platform designed for missions like "Counterpoint" and "Mirror Invasion" that have swarms of enemies and something to protect

With mk XIII CMS consoles and graviton [cms] deflector along with the high aux power levels it gives a 37second scramble. If I understand the scramble mechanic properly that should give only 20 second periods where groups of enemies are not scrambled permitting SS3 everytime it recovers from cooldown.

The rest is the same as the curare-type, just more single target oriented without TR3. With proper upgrades I think I can get some more flow consoles or different dishes while keeping the scramble duration right around that 40 second zone.

The right boff/doff selection can probably make this nasty for a science PVP build. A little jam, then when cleared a subnuc, then a doffed scramble. Someones probably already done it, but even with PVP scramble times it has to be annoying.

You sir are one of the few people that have bothered with a CMS build so kudos to you. An intel ship could probably throw a nasty scramble using OSS. I wish I had the EC to buy all the lockbox boff abilites, but I don't see the point. The free sci one debuffs resistance well enough anyway.
    Scramble Sensors is brilliant fun in MI at the moment. I combine it with GW3 and an inhibiting secondary deflector to take full advantage of the radiation damage.
    Suck up a tonne of NPC's, stun them and then flatten them with a torp spread and the resonance beam. Nothing survives that, especially coming out of cloak with that combo.

I'm currently loving several 3pc set powers that are boosted by partigens too. The quantum destabilizing beam + isokinetic cannon + destabilized resonance beam + GW3 + scramble sensors + torp spread + intel flanking bonus = dead mirror dreadnought before anyone else gets a shot in.
    SulMatuul.png
    Scramble Sensors is brilliant fun in MI at the moment. I combine it with GW3 and an inhibiting secondary deflector to take full advantage of the radiation damage.
    Suck up a tonne of NPC's, stun them and then flatten them with a torp spread and the resonance beam. Nothing survives that, especially coming out of cloak with that combo.

Hmm I wonder how well a full gravgen instead of CMS would do in that. Instead of a 35-40second scramble, you'd pull half the terrans on the map and then hit them with a shorter scramble. Have to fiddle around with that one after work

Hmm I wonder how well a full gravgen instead of CMS would do in that. Instead of a 35-40second scramble, you'd pull half the terrans on the map and then hit them with a shorter scramble. Have to fiddle around with that one after work

Yeah a 20KM wide grav well here would be great, but only really of use once the place gets swamped with Terran's. For the average game you'll rarely be able to hoover up more than 10 NPC's at once assuming everyone is shutting portals and fighting equally.
    A pair of players, one with grav well and one with scramble sensors both at max, could control the whole map fairly easily here.

Now in advanced MI on the other hand..... :D
    SulMatuul.png
  • gerwalk0769gerwalk0769 Member Posts: 1,095 Arc User
    edited November 2015

I'm currently loving several 3pc set powers that are boosted by partigens too. The quantum destabilizing beam + isokinetic cannon + destabilized resonance beam + GW3 + scramble sensors + torp spread + intel flanking bonus = dead mirror dreadnought before anyone else gets a shot in.

In both MIA and Counterpoint Advanced I've gone near all defensive. I run two hull and three shield heals, Scramble Sensors, FBP 3 (Your anger only hurts you), TBR to push ships away in MIA. I'm using a Resonating Deflector and Heal +damage lab consoles. ST1 and Inelastic Collisions help me close rifts unless I'm under fire from 4 or more enemies. I rarely fight and try to avoid it.

In Counterpoint I just roleplay a ferry, use STI to close rifts (I'm pretty good at soloing on Advanced just fly under them and then fly away after), throw scramble sensors and, sometimes heals, around. I try not to aggro enemies, just close and deliver troops, and sometimes confuse-but that aggros a lot (especially if I hit Mirror DS9 with the ability). I really appreciate these varied missions.
    Joined STO in September 2010.
    edited November 2015
    slight divergence.
    Although not technically a science vessel(seriously it might as well be with the boffs, just missing that secondary deflector), I've adapted my Atrox for my basic drain/torp build. works quite well, with advanced stalkers.
    Updated build for USS Curiosity:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/stobuilds/comments/3bzb0v/uss_curiosity_fleet_pathfinder_exotictorp_build/

Build changes:
    • Updated build with the new traits released with the trait revamp and the Terran Rep tree (namely Fleet Coordinator and Astrometric Synergy).
    • I now exclusively run this ship without Kemocite and I probably won't slot it back in.
    • Since I am now running 2 copies of TT and TS, I dropped Reciprocity in favor of Desperate Repairs for added survivability
    • I am also using 1 Exotic Particle Focuser, 1 Restorative Particle Focuser and 1 Plasma Generating Weapons Signature Nullifier. The reasons I did not stick with a single type of console here are I can get a damage proc from either heals or exotic damage (procs often enough) and the Embassy console gives my PEP clouds a passive boost, which gets boosted by the Research Lab consoles as well.
    • Now running Terran Munitions 2-pc
    Description

This is a variation of my CCA Intrepid build but this time with all Photon torpedoes. Best parse is 110k in CCA (PUG) and averages in the 70-90k range.
    Build:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/stobuilds/comments/3xvonc/cca_siege_intrepid_photon_edition/
    e30ernest wrote: »
    Description

This is a variation of my CCA Intrepid build but this time with all Photon torpedoes. Best parse is 110k in CCA (PUG) and averages in the 70-90k range.
    Build:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/stobuilds/comments/3xvonc/cca_siege_intrepid_photon_edition/

If you're going to use grav wells, wouldn't the aftershock doff make more sense on top of the engine fail doff?
    My gripe with the aftershock DOff is that the grav wells it creates isn't always where I want it to be. Sometimes the aftershock well opens away from the Entity pulling mobs away from my AOE HYs or out of my Subspace Vortex.