test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

STO 3D Ship Statuettes

Dear PWE (person in charge of marketing)
Is it possible for you guys to get a merchandising license to sell 3D printouts of the ship models as seen in STO ?
Was thinking you could easily sell these through your website for a handsome profit.
As I understand it, that may require a merchandising licensing fee, and might not jive with your budget.
But is there any possibility of this ? or is this a pipe dream I have ?

If it's not viable, is there anyway to acquire design .DWG files ?
I'd really love to make a few printouts of my own for personnel use.

Suppose I could "Eyeball" the design's while in game... and dimension them out.. but that would take me forever to get all the details proper.

But I'm kinda wishing I could printout my very own model JHDC and a few other ships featured in STO.

Would anyone else be interested in buying STO ship Statuettes ?

Thing is 3D printing is becoming very affordable, and I think (depending on merchandising fees) this could be a very viable income stream for you guys.
They could even be sold unfinished, as model kits... and pieced together by the buyer to save you some cost on production.

Then again I guess I could just go buy some models online..
But I'm sure it would be impossible to find some of the ships featured in STO.

Anyway, more or less I just want to know if any of this seems viable, and if any other players would have interest in this.

[img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg

Comments

• zebulongileszebulongiles Member Posts: 335 Arc User
    I would like to see a similar option too. 3D printed models available of the ships we have in game. I know another game, Space Engineers is working with a 3D printing company to offer 3D printed models of player built ships. Though with STO it's a little more involved then that since CBS may need to be involved. And with certain ships other license holders may also need to give permission. Still, this is something I would like to see someday. :)
  • omegasprimeomegasprime Member Posts: 289 Arc User
    They could make a lot of money if they did something like this.​​
    AKA Primus01, Lifetime member since January 16, 2010
    Windows 10 Pro
    Intel Core i7-5700
    RAM 32 GB
    2 Titan GTX 980M GDDR5 8 GB
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    I don't think Cryptic or PWE would be allowed, since the agreement with CBS and Paramount was to make an online Star Trek game. Not making new products.

There was a guy named Serin on Shapeways that made miniature 3D STO ship models a year or so ago, but the guy was doing it without permission and got shut down. So if you want 3D models, you're going to have to make them yourself.
  • dkeith2011dkeith2011 Member Posts: 595 Arc User
    Go looking in Shapeways and you can probably find any STO ship you like multiple times.
  • bioixibioixi Member Posts: 764 Arc User
    I don't think Cryptic or PWE would be allowed, since the agreement with CBS and Paramount was to make an online Star Trek game. Not making new products.

There was a guy named Serin on Shapeways that made miniature 3D STO ship models a year or so ago, but the guy was doing it without permission and got shut down. So if you want 3D models, you're going to have to make them yourself.

I don't think they are able to sell canon ships, but they might be able to sell their own designs.
  • bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    Pretty sure not. Star Trek merchandising is a legal labyrinth.
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary