test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Has there been any attempt to create a complete and searchable list of all doffs?

trekpuppytrekpuppy Member Posts: 446 Arc User
I know the wiki has multiple pages with lists of doffs of various categories but does anyone know if there has been any attempt to create a complete database of them all where you can search on all their attributes (traits, faction, specialty, R&D school) and most importantly - where a particular doff you find in such a list can be acquired? The ones that drop from various lockboxes and doff packs seems reasonably well documented on the wiki albeit difficult to search properly (the wiki engine isn't really the best thing for this). But there are tons of doffs that can be acquired from all the asylum, officer exchange and prisoner exchange missions that might have the exact right combination of traits to match a particular mission. For some time now, I've been documenting the ones I receive myself but it would feel more productive to contribute this info to a central database somewhere so that it can benefit everyone.

I assume the devs couldn't be persuaded to create a dump of all this info that they already have in their database?
---
"-Grind is good!" --Gordon Geko
Accolades checklist: https://bit.ly/FLUFFYS

Comments

• daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    I'm not sure something like that is possible.
    At least for the Common Doff's anyway, as the program seems to use a Random Word Generator for the names.
    Many times they are somewhat nonsensical combinations of partial words and random letters.
    At times, to the point of being a bit offensive to folks with stronger moral convictions.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    sto.gamepedia.com started but never finished.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • trekpuppytrekpuppy Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    daveyny wrote: »
    At least for the Common Doff's anyway, as the program seems to use a Random Word Generator for the names.
    Many times they are somewhat nonsensical combinations of partial words and random letters.
    B)
    I've actually never been able to confirm this. Working in the computer business myself for 30 years, I know it would be extremely dangerous to generate random doffs on the fly. You would have no control over what disastrous combinations that would occur. However, initially creating a static master list with tens of thousands of doffs with random traits and attributes is another thing. Such a list could be checked and when deemed ok, put into the game in its static form, which is how I assume it was done. A dev confirmation of this would be nice.

EDIT: I can add that after registering about a thousand doffs from asylum and exchange missions, I have run into a few duplicates which hints to a static list. But in all honesty, I almost never get common doffs from these missions so the duplicates I've got has higher rarity.
    ---
    starswordc wrote: »
    sto.gamepedia.com started but never finished.
    I can see why they gave up. Since doffs can have a variable number of traits and a particular doff can be acquired from multiple sources, it would require a specifically crafted relational database for this with an appropriate user interface for the search.

---
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    trekpuppy wrote: »
    B)
    I've actually never been able to confirm this. Working in the computer business myself for 30 years, I know it would be extremely dangerous to generate random doffs on the fly. You would have no control over what disastrous combinations that would occur. However, initially creating a static master list with tens of thousands of doffs with random traits and attributes is another thing. Such a list could be checked and when deemed ok, put into the game in its static form, which is how I assume it was done. A dev confirmation of this would be nice.

I believe They created a list, but more so to inhibit the RWG from creating names that would include English words that are considered vulgar.
    I say this because I've received several DOff's since the System went into the game, that are similar in nature to said words but have different spellings...
    Such as Shee'it, Pushay and A'shoal.
    I also remember a particular thread way back in the Cryptic STO fourms, in which the players were posting the unusual names of their DOff's and having a Dev pop in saying that They actually take individual DOff's out of the system that could be considered vulgar, when discovered.
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
    I believe They created a list, but more so to inhibit the RWG from creating names that would include English words that are considered vulgar.
    I say this because I've received several DOff's since the System went into the game, that are similar in nature to said words but have different spellings...
    Such as Shee'it, Pushay and A'shoal.
    I've always considered these an expression of the devs humour. :)
    ---
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    There is actually a Gorn doff named S - H - I - T without the spaces.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
    I know some people collect these for fun - myself included. :) I particularly enjoy typing in zone chat - "This game is [Brok'ken]!" :D
    ---
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    I know some people collect these for fun - myself included. :) I particularly enjoy typing in zone chat - "This game is [Brok'ken]!" :D
    I had that S.H. word doff for a while but sold it for 30 million. I also have a Reman purple doff named S - L - U - T that I decided to keep since it's good for crafting.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • sirmaydaysirmayday Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    FWIW, I'm 99% sure the Instigate Defection assignments grant specific DOffs, judging by all the duplicates I've gotten. I'm also pretty sure Asylum/Sanctuary, Officer Exchange and Cultural Exchange assignments generate randomly named DOffs (with semi-random traits).
  • dabelgravedabelgrave Member Posts: 979 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    I've been building a list of Very Rare+ doffs, and currently have more than 16k doffs listed. It tracks name, species, faction, department, specialization, R&D, active duty effect (only partially filled in), and traits. It does not include where to find the doffs.
    Link: http://bit.ly/STODoffs​​
    Post edited by dabelgrave on
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    I'd be happy if there was some summary page that tells me what doffs I have!
    Something like... "Chefs: 1:2:3:4"
    That way I'd know I have 1 common, 2 uncommon, 3 rare, 4 very rare
    And have that show up as a list showing all the types. That way if (when) I need to make room, it's easy to see what type of doff I have way too many of and can grind or sell. As it is now, you have to grab a paper & pencil and manually go count them all. And if you have 500 on a toon (and many alts) you're looking at an all day effort.

I'd think that adding such a feature would be child's play. Hell, Cryptic could probably sell that feature in the C-store for 500 Zen and make a bundle.
    dabelgrave wrote: »
    I've been building a list of Very Rare+ doffs, and currently have more than 16k doffs listed. It tracks name, species, faction, department, specialization, R&D, active duty affect (only partially filled in), and traits. It does not include where to find the doffs.
    Link: http://bit.ly/STODoffs​​
    Thank you @dabelgrave. An excellent job that should be promoted much more so people can find it.
    ---
  • protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    I know some people collect these for fun - myself included. :)

I have a male Orion DOff named Perv. He is one of the few white DOffs I have kept around the warbird instead of assigning to duty on one of our holdings.
  • dabelgravedabelgrave Member Posts: 979 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    dabelgrave wrote: »
    I've been building a list of Very Rare+ doffs, and currently have more than 16k doffs listed. It tracks name, species, faction, department, specialization, R&D, active duty affect (only partially filled in), and traits. It does not include where to find the doffs.
    Link: http://bit.ly/STODoffs
    Thank you @dabelgrave. An excellent job that should be promoted much more so people can find it.

I'm glad it helps.
    :)​​
    Post edited by dabelgrave on
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I'd be happy if there was some summary page that tells me what doffs I have!
    Something like... "Chefs: 1:2:3:4"
    That way I'd know I have 1 common, 2 uncommon, 3 rare, 4 very rare
    And have that show up as a list showing all the types. That way if (when) I need to make room, it's easy to see what type of doff I have way too many of and can grind or sell. As it is now, you have to grab a paper & pencil and manually go count them all. And if you have 500 on a toon (and many alts) you're looking at an all day effort.

I'd think that adding such a feature would be child's play. Hell, Cryptic could probably sell that feature in the C-store for 500 Zen and make a bundle.
    It's been discussed as a possible upcoming feature. I know I'd love to see it too.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg