test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

freezing during loading screen/zone changes

nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
edited August 2015 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
Hi guys n gals,

is anyone else getting the loading screens freezing at about 94% when either changing toons or changing zones? Gameclient.exe just freezes up and I have to quit to desktop and restart. Its only happened since today's patch.

EDIT: Looks like it may have been systemic as I've just notices the Nvidia drivers just updated to a new Win 10 version. A Restart seems to hav fixed the problem...for now.
EDIT: The problem seems to re-occur and the only difference is the new Win 10 Nvidia driver
server_hamster6.png
Post edited by nyxadrill on

Comments

• Options
    baxslash001baxslash001 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    yea, getting the same thing, though, I haven't downloaded the new win 10 graphics drivers, can barely get through 1 character without the loading screen locking up, or, the major client crashes. Cryptic needs to get their heads out of the early 2000's, and, redo the game in a new game engine, part of the reason why they can't nail down the bugs. BUT, hey this Cryptic we are talking about, the losers of the gaming industry, and, their lap dog Perfect World.
  • Options
    shailatshailat Member Posts: 478 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    nyxadrill wrote: »
    Hi guys n gals,

is anyone else getting the loading screens freezing at about 94% when either changing toons or changing zones? Gameclient.exe just freezes up and I have to quit to desktop and restart. Its only happened since today's patch.

EDIT: Looks like it may have been systemic as I've just notices the Nvidia drivers just updated to a new Win 10 version. A Restart seems to hav fixed the problem...for now.
    EDIT: The problem seems to re-occur and the only difference is the new Win 10 Nvidia driver

YES, OMG I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE
    I am having this evey time I get to a Loading screen, screen turns white and forces me to close the window, worst part, the cryptic error thingy never loads , so i cant report it
    also, im on win 7, so its not a win 10 thing

also I have a friend with the same issue, but for her
    everytime she starts a application that triggers the UAC window that dims the screen to ask for admin priviledge her gameclient goes white and hangs and she has to kill it by hitting the end now button
    Post edited by shailat on
    ogew7.jpg
  • Options
    cordae1982cordae1982 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    yeah i have been experiencing the same problem. when ever i chance characters or zones the loading screen freezes at at least 40 percent and i have to quit the game browser and exit to desktop and restart the game all over again. i thought it was a virus on my computer that was causing this to happen. glad i wasnt the only one this was happening to.
  • Options
    mattaukettmattaukett Member Posts: 190 Arc User
    Having the same problem here with the game locking on loading screens. Windows 7 machine and NVidia drivers (Which were the most recent before yesterday's release - haven't been in game yet since I downloaded the latest drivers last night to see if they make any difference)

Interestingly and I'm not sure if it's related or not, prior to yesterday's patch the game was hard crashing to desktop intermittently with the Cryptic error tracker running and giving me a code more often than not. Didn't see that in the time I was in game last night, but now the game just stops responding and I have to manually kill the application. Having said that, previously it seemed to run ok for a couple of hours before starting to have issues anyway.
  • Options
    Still getting the problem here, even with a new card GTX960. Loading screens are freezing up anywhere between 47 and 94%

Restarting the PC seems, at least for me, to cure the problem temporarily but it eventually reappears. Memory leak?
    server_hamster6.png
  • Options
    sdavistatorsdavistator Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    I've tried restarting, force verifying, defrag, etc. Still getting the program hangs. After reading this:

http://www.correlsense.com/blog/the-top-3-reasons-an-application-hangs/

I'd say it's a Reason #1.
  • Options
    adshadowadshadow Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    same TRIBBLE for me as well a patch to fix a few things yea right more like break the dam game constantly reloading the game is really pissing me off
  • Options
    smmcguiresmmcguire Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    my game freezes right before the select character screen...I thought it was only me having this problem
  • Options
    uranium23567uranium23567 Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    yeah, several times i've completed crystalline cats, when moving back to DS9 ground it stops about 47% and just stays there. I have to 3-finger salute and stop GameClient.exe
  • Options
    uranium23567uranium23567 Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    Again, this happens, what is odd is the mouse with the STO arrow still moves. Its usually moving from Crys cata back to ground (SB 39, DS9). It usually stays in the ~40% range when it stops
  • Options
    lordatrocitieslordatrocities Member Posts: 462 Arc User
    I searched for this subject before submitting my bug report. I too am having the same issue. I posted about it in a separate thread but since this one predate my post I thought it important to add my voice to this thread as well.

Moving from area to zone game client crashes.
    Changing characters game freezes at 94%
    If Gameclinet freezes after completing a episode, all progress is lost and episode must be redone to gain rewards.

Windows 7 pro - 3 machines including a newly built PC.
    Intel 4690k - GTX 770, 16 gigs Ram - OS SSD
    FX4100 - R280X - 8 gigs Ram - OS SSD
    FX 6350 - R280X - 8 gigs Ram - OS SSD
    What happened to those unique forum ranks I paid for?
  • Options
    racerexiaracerexia Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    Totally geting this and its not related to Nvidia, running ATI/AMD. Happens once every 3 load screens or so.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Well this is still happening , and as always there is no response from the Dev team (in the past someone would just pop in and say "we are aware of this and are working on a solution" but nothing..... I guess cryptic really doesn't care about this game anymore as they let 2 more devs go, so imo i guess they are hopeing it dies
    First lag spikes, which they clamed to fix, but haz not, and now locking up on loading screens
    GG cryptic GG
    ogew7.jpg
  • Options
    and another crash at the loading screen
    I think im just gonna keep bumping this until we get a dev responce
    ogew7.jpg
  • Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    been "lucky" so far it only happens when i go to SOL system i7, 16g ram nvidia gtx 779 Directx 11, nvidia driver 347.52

Spock.jpg

• Options
    AND ANOTHER ONE!
    ogew7.jpg
  • Options
    ayexeyenayexeyen Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    I have exactly the same problem and it repeat at every patrol I do.

Step to reproduce:
    Have windows 10.
    Use latest Nvidia driver (I mine are 355.60).
    Enter on a patrol (Delta patrol for me stuck the loading every time).
    Finish the patrol and try to return in sector space.
    Have fun waiting the loading bar to finish.

• Options
    rybaksixrybaksix Member Posts: 193 Arc User
    I can confirm this bug too, I'm having that issue on my laptop.
    2-3 normal map transitions, usually next one causes the freeze.
  • Options
    Yep, just happened to me again. Wanted to switch from a toon that had run Kobali ground dailies to another to do reputation tasks. Got to 94.34% and froze. Its very variable to me. It seems if I hop toons quickly it doesnt rear its head until I spend time doing a fairly long task on one. Then it will either freeze during map transitions or when changing toons. It has all the hallmarks of a right royal memory leak.

For the record:

PC: MSI 970 Motherboard, 8Gb RAM. Gigabyte GTX960 gfx card - NOTE: This also happened with the old GTX750ti.
    STORAGE: 250Gb SSD, and 2x 1Tb hard drives.

Support ticket raised : #150816-000775
    server_hamster6.png
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Please tell me that someone is actually working on this problem and going to fix it!! Every time I leave a system, mission, episode, event, or swap to an alternate charater the game freeze at 42% or 94%. Please FIX THIS.

And PS. to the guy who would say if you upgrade to windows 10 it fixes, well that is BS. Please stop. Just Stop.
  • Options
    I recommend that you all push the issue through the SUBMIT PROBLEM under the ARC support page. Link to this thread and describe the issue. It is the only other option open to us in forcing a rapid response to this issue.
  • Options
    I recommend that you all push the issue through the SUBMIT PROBLEM under the ARC support page. Link to this thread and describe the issue. It is the only other option open to us in forcing a rapid response to this issue.

Yes I'd second that. If you haven't raised a ticket then do so and perhaps post the ticket number here. Thanks to all of you have posted here confirming the issue.
    server_hamster6.png
  • Options
    ponderscpondersc Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    This frequently frustrating issue has plagued me as well. I sincerely doubt a response is forthcoming though.
  • Options
    ayexeyen wrote: »
    I have exactly the same problem and it repeat at every patrol I do.

Step to reproduce:
    Have windows 10.
    Use latest Nvidia driver (I mine are 355.60).
    Enter on a patrol (Delta patrol for me stuck the loading every time).
    Finish the patrol and try to return in sector space.
    Have fun waiting the loading bar to finish.

Its not just windows 10, i haz win 7 and have the same bug
    its cryptic, not us but they will come in here and say its us, so don't worry anyway
    ogew7.jpg
  • Options
    gorn2towngorn2town Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    No play = no money. I refuse to give them any money until this is fixed. On the up side, it's saved me a ton of money over the last 3 months!
  • Options
    nitetribenitetribe Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    I have been getting these freezes also and while it was very annoying it was somewhat manageable but today for some reason every time I zone I freeze.

When you play for an hour and manage to do nothing accept restart the game its time to start to evaluate if its worth the hassle.

Windows 7
    i7 quad core
    nVidia GTX 560 with latest driver

Do something about it devs because NEWS FLASH there are better games than STO for me to spend my time on that are more stable and less buged.
  • Options
    bumpity bump as i am still having this issue, and there is no dev in here saying that they are working on a fix, so bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump

oh did i say bump
    ogew7.jpg
  • Options
    and again yet it crashed again
    ogew7.jpg
  • Options
    robothitchhikerrobothitchhiker Member Posts: 277 Bug Hunter
    Since this error is across Windows versions and graphics cards, a suggested workaround I saw somewhere else that may help is to make sure you're using DirectX 9 (has minor problems) instead of 11 (has major problems). This should be under Settings->Display->Video Card and then either Direct3d 9 or Direct3d 9ex.
  • Options
    corzumcorzum Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    I have this problem, too. Changing chars more frequntly during CE seems to increase the CTD. 7 Chars means at least 14 crashes within an hour...