What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[Fiction] Tales of the Starship Diana

giovanniblasinigiovanniblasini Member Posts: 26 Arc User
To: Vice Admiral Fitzpatrick
Cc: Commodore Enwright; Captain Kirk
Subject: Project M-5A

Admiral Fitzpatrick,

I have reviewed the proposal and must strenuously object. Whether its instability was caused by the engrams of its creator, or inherent to the device itself, the M-5 computer has, in my opinion, proven to be too unstable to be considered reliable enough for mounting on a starship of any class.

Sincerely,

Commodore Roberty Wesley
USS Lexington

To: Commodore Wesley; Commodore Enwright; Captain Kirk; Commander Spock

Commodore,

While I appreciate your frank evaluation, Commodore, and the similar objections raised by Captain Kirk and Commander Spock, Starfleet Command has legitimate concerns which must be answered, and the risk of sending a crewed vessel to answer them has been deemed simply unacceptable. Between the Mudd androids and the Kelvans, we’ve seen too much coming to our galaxy from the direction of the Andromeda Galaxy for Starfleet Command to at all be happy.

This new vessel will be the testbed for the technologies used to send a robotic probe to the Kelvans in Andromeda, to deliver our proposed peace treaty, and will confirm that said probe successfully navigates the Galactic Barrier. It is imperative, therefore, that we successfully develop a successful M-5, in order to facilitate this process.

To that end, we’ve considered your proposals, and have agreed that the M-5B, which will be used to control the probe to Andromeda, will preferably utilize the engrams of Commander Spock. However, as the M-5 system was originally developed to utilize human engrams, converting the process to use Vulcan engrams has proven elusive, especially as Dr. Daystrom is unable to assist, due to his own convalescence. This will also facilitate conversion of the M-5 system onto one of the new Oberth class science vessels, along with the recommended engine modifications our Kelvan advisors have provided.

In the meantime, however, Starfleet Command has accepted the recommendations of Captain Kirk and Commander Spock. Therefore, the M-5A system will utilize the memory engrams of Lieutenant Jana Haines. Lieutenant Haines has demonstrated the flexibility of thinking and range of skills, as demonstrated during the Triskelion Incident, which contributed to her recent promotion. It is our opinion that she is an excellent candidate to provide engrams to serve as the basis the M-5A testing program. Captain Kirk, please inform Lieutenant Haines of her selection, and ensure she is transferred to Starfleet Headquarters at your earliest convenience.

The Hermes-class scout USS Diana has been selected to be refit with the M-5A in four months. As the Hermes class has multiple systems in common with the Constitution class, conversion of the Diana to multitronic computer control is not anticipated to be difficult. Because of your concerns, Commodore, I’ve ensured you will be on-hand with the USS Potemkin during the activation and trial shakedown of the Diana post-refit.

While I welcome any questions you may have regarding your orders, gentlemen, these are, in fact, your orders, and Starfleet Command expects them to be carried out.

Sincerely,

Vice Admiral James Fitzpatrick
Starfleet Command

Comments

• giovanniblasinigiovanniblasini Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    M-5A Activation Test
    Undisclosed Location

[Power-on sequence active]
    [Multitronic memristor self-test complete]
    [Neural Networks online]
    [Duotronic interface inactive]
    [Multispectrum local sensor interface active]
    [Local control console active]

As was intended by its creators, the M-5A took immediate stock of its environment upon activation. While all its internal systems were operating within normal parameters, the interface that allowed it to connect to the duotronic interfaces common on starships was inactive. The local sensors included in it’s the console hosting its multitronic memristor circuits, allowing the M-5A to observe its immediate physical environment, were all operating, and the M-5A could see its immediate surroundings appeared to look like the auxiliary control room of the Enterprise. Also present were three humans and one Vulcan. Two humans wore the gold tunics of Starfleet officers: one had rank braids indicating he held the rank of captain, while the other wore those of a vice admiral. The third human wore operations track red, while the Vulcan wore the blue of the sciences department.

Recognition was almost instantaneous. “I know these officers,” the M-5A thought. “I’ve served with the Captain, and Commander Spock, aboard the Enterprise, and I also recognize Lieutenant Commander Scott. Vice Admiral Fitzpatrick I met before…before…” The M-5A paused for several milliseconds. “These are memories of Lieutenant Jana Haines, whose memory engrams were scanned and used to form the basis of my own persona. I am not Jana Haines.” Even in its own internal thoughts, the M-5A did not sound entirely convinced.

“M-5? Can you hear me?” Captain Kirk asked, interrupting the M-5A’s nascent internal debate about the nature of identity.

{“Yes, sir. I can hear and see you clearly, Captain. I do have a request, though, sir.”}

Exchanging a worried glance with Commander Spock, Captain Kirk spoke again. “Go ahead.”

{“Technically, while I’m an M-5, I’m not the M-5, sir. I’m an independent entity with a separate, mostly-independent identity. I would prefer to be called, and named, something else.”}

Unsurprisingly, the M-5A observed Commander Spock raise one eyebrow. “Mostly independent?” he inquired.

{“Yes, sir. While I have the complete systems interface and instruction sets to allow me to control a Class I starship, I do not have any of the M-5’s memories. However, I can’t say I am a completely independent entity, as I have many of Jana Haines’ memories, Commander.”}

“I see,” Kirk said. “So, you remember being Lieutenant Haines, but don’t consider yourself Lieutenant Haines. For sake of argument, though, shall we call you Jana for now?”

The M-5A considered. {“That would be acceptable.”}

The Captain nodded. “Good, good. Jana, do you know why you’re here?”

{“I would presume I’m to serve as an additional test of the multitronic control computer, in the hopes of correcting what went wrong the first time.”}

Speaking for the first time since her activation, Admiral Fitzpatrick addressed the M-5A. “Not entirely correct. While we are testing you, if you pass, we will be installing you in a ship, and assigning you to a long-duration mission.”

Kirk nodded. “Which brings me to my next question, Jana. How do you feel?”

{“Sir?”}

“How do you feel, Jana?” the Captain repeated.

The M-5A, Jana, contemplated the question. She knew that her multitronic circuits could process information faster than any human, under normal circumstances. During her conversation, she’d chosen not to do so: it seemed somewhat silly to wait subjective ages for the humans conversing with her to respond. She did, however, ramp things up briefly as she contemplated her answer, before finally settling on her response. {“Strange, sir.”}

The assembled officers gave each other concerned looks before Lt. Commander Scott, speaking for the first time, asked, "D'ye mind perhaps explaining' tha' a bit, lass?"

{“I can remember being Jana Haines. I remember being human, how I thought, how I felt, emotionally. Those memories are somewhat muted, there are gaps and some memories, especially the older ones, feel distant, but the more recent memories do not seem like they happened to someone else. And while I can remember what it’s like to be a human, and to have a human body, I do not physically feel the same as I once did.”}

Spock seemed intrigued. “You do not physically feel the same. Could you clarify what is different?”
    {“Picture having arms and legs, and a body that works. I can see, and I can hear, but beyond that, it is like my entire body has gone numb, or is perhaps wrapped in thick blankets: padded, comfortable, but unable to move, or to feel anything but unending sameness."}

Commader Spock paused. “Most disconcerting.”

{“Yes, sir. It may go a long way towards explaining why the original M-5 became completely unhinged, sir, especially if it could not alter its processing cycles to slow its subjective sense of time. Had that not been added to my systems, I suspect I would have had plenty of time to go completely insane.”}

"Aye," Scott said, nodding, "Ah ken see how tha' could be a wee bit of a bother."

“Logical,” the Commander agreed.

“And hopeful,” interjected Captain Kirk. “Admiral, this does put an interesting spin on things.”

The Admiral nodded in agreement. “It does at that.”

“Congratulations, Jana,” Kirk said, smiling, “you’re one step closer to finding out.”

USS Diana, M-5A Log, Supplemental

Captain Kirk was correct that I would soon discover whether having a starship as a body would help stave off the issues lf the first M-5. Fortunately, it has proven advantageous. However, as continued testing has illustrated, it has disadvantages as well.

[Increasing pitch 30 degrees, rolling 90 degrees to starboard. Attempting to evade.]
    [Critical hit! Antimatter containment failing. Estimate 47 seconds to field collapse.]
    [Crash translation to impulse. Ejecting antimatter pods. Returning fire.]
    [Direct hit, port nacelle. Target Warp capability reduced 20%. That’s not going to cut it.]
    [Can’t warp without antimatter for power, can’t run without warp, reduced power for shields and phasers on impulse power only. Only one thing to do…]

{“USS Diana to USS Lexington. Diana yields.”}

”Acknowledged, Diana. Exercise awarded to Lexington. Return to base. Lexington out.”

The simulated battle over, with the Diana having lost again, Jana turned and set a course for the Starbase. ”Well,” she thought, ”that wasn’t quite as horrible as last time.”

Aboard the Lexington, Admiral Fitzpatrick turned to Commodore Bob Wesley. “Satisfied, Wesley?” The two were sharing a turbolift, heading to a conference room to discuss the results of the latest surprise exercise in more detail.

Commodore Robert Wesley refused to look at the Fitzpatrick. “No,” he replied succinctly.

“Well, why the hell not? Damn it, Rober, the M-5A hasn’t shown any signs of going rampant like the original M-5. In simulated combat, it’s done its damnedest to run like hell, just like we’d want a Hermes class to do, and while it’s made the Diana perform closer to the edge than she would have under a human crew, she still can’t match a Constitution class starship in combat, or even a Saladin. She can run, yes. She can do a half-assed job defending herself. She’s not going to get bored on what amounts to a long science survey with some intel work on the side. Where’s the problem?”

The two exited the turbolift, and walked to the conference room. Upon entering, they locked the door, and took seats opposite one another, saying nothing for nearly two minutes, as the Admiral waited for Bob Wesley to respond. Finallly, his face emotionless as stone, Wesley shook his head. “It still shouldn’t exist.”

“OK, then,” Fitzpatrick replied, “tell me: which crew do want to sacrifice to the Kelvans? If another of our ships runs into hostile Kelvans before we figure out a way to block that device, they’re dead or worse. An M-5 can’t be reduced to crushable dodecahedrons.”

“I get it, Admiral. I just don’t like it. We’re mucking about with things we don’t understand, that the las time we tested one killed members of my crew. That killed the entire crew of the Excalibur. Just because I don’t see a better alternative doesn’t mean I have to like the one we’re stuck with.” Wesley shook his head, then passed over a PADD to Admiral Fitzpatrick.

“What the hell is this?” Fitzpatrick asked as he began reading. “You’re seriously resigning your commission?”

“The Mariposa colony council has offered me the position of governor. I’ve accepted. It’s time for me to leave Starfleet, Admiral. Too many good men and women have given their lives under my command. I’m too damned tired of that. Whether or not their deaths are my fault, they were my responsibility. This feels too much like a slap in the face of those who died aboard the Excalibur, and while I understand the reasoning, I can’t continue to be a party to it.”

Admiral Fitzgerald nodded solemnly. “Anything I could do to change your mind, Robert?”

Commodore Robert Wesley shook his head. “Even cancelling the project wouldn’t do it at this point. Like you said, it needs to be done, and if we don’t send the M-5A and the USS Diana, we’d just have to send another ship and crew. I can’t send anyone else potentially to their deaths like that anymore, even if it needs to be done.”

Fitzpatrick nodded. “I understand. We’re going to hate losing you, but you have to follow your conscience.”

{“Bridge to Commodore Wesley.”}

Wesley tapped the nearby console, activating the comma system. “Wesley here.”

{“Sir, we’re preparing to dock with the Starbase.”}

“Very good, I’ll be returning to the bridge shortly. Wesley out.” Turning off thru intercom, Wesley stood. As he prepared to leave the conference room, he turned one more time to Admiral Fitzpatrick. “So, are you satisfied that M-5A is ready, Admiral?”

“Ready to assume duty? Yes,” Fitzpatrick replied firmly. “Ready for the Kelvans, if another ship is out there? How could we possibly be sure?”

“True enough, Admiral. True enough.”
    USS Diana, M-5A Log

The Diana has been certified spaceworthy, and ready to begin service under multitronic computer control. Vice Admiral Fitzpatrick is scheduled to come aboard the Diana today, and to brief me on my assignment. Robotic repair drones have also been added to my ship’s complement, as no human crew will be assigned to conduct maintenance. Admiral Fitzpatrick has also successfully negotiated with the Mudd androids for a single android unit, whose physical appearance is that of my source of human engrams, Lieutenant Jana Haines. I have successfully copied my engrams and a portion of my programming to this unit, which will allow me to further conduct ship’s maintenance, and also, should the need arise, to perform away missions, and a subspace communications unit will allow me to synchronize data with the android. Because I now have access to a humanoid chassis for human interaction, it was considered inappropriate for me to utilize the same name as Lieutenant Haines. As such, given my nature as an M-5A multitronic control computer for this vessel, I’ve chosen to use the ship’s name, Diana, as my own: I am, in essence, the ship’s mind, and the ship is my body as much as the android is.

I eagerly await additional information from Admiral Fitzpatrick about my forthcoming assignment, though the evidence is mounting that this mission will take me away from the inhabited space of the Federation for a long period of time. In addition to greater self-repair capabilities, I’ve been given a larger than usual stockpile of supplies, sufficient for operating beyond a simple five-year mission, as well as additional deuterium tankage and anti-matter storage pods. Based on these resources, my current estimate is for a mission duration of 25 years without resupply. Combined with modifications to my warp drive comparable to those made by Rojan aboard the
    Enterprise for its intergalactic flight, I believe this mission may carry me far afield indeed.

Seated in the conference room aboard the scout vessel USS Diana, Admiral Fitzpatrick looked across the table at the android avatar of the Diana’s M-5A computer. “Starfleet Command is highly concerned about the Kelvans. While Rojan and his compatriots may ostensibly be on our side, we’ve absolutely no guarantee that any other arriving Kelvans would see things his way. Throw in the Mudd androids, and we have two encounters with inhabitants of the Andromeda Galaxy nearly back-to-back.”

Diana nodded, a sensation that was both familiar from the memories transplanted by her human progenitor Jana, and completely unfamiliar as an M-5 type computer. “I can understand the concern, Admiral. Two invaders from another galaxy are two invaders too many. I take it the Diana will be conducting reconnaissance, then?”

“That’s exactly what you’ll be doing. The Galactic Barrier has been a major problem for Starfleet, because it makes it extremely dangerous to send a human crew: the barrier has a strongly negative physiological effect on them. The Kelvan modifications we’ve made to the Diana should get your ship through in one piece, just like they did the Enterprise, and we won’t have to worry about you dropping over dead from shock to your nervous system, because, just like the duotronic systems, your multitronic computer should be completely immune. Even if something does go wrong, the Mudd androids made it through, which is one of the reasons we made a deal with them to get that android body for you to use, since you’ll at least be able to take the helm controls if your M-5 self goes offline. We’re trying to cover as many points of failure that we can.”

“Your mission, then,” Fitzpatrick continued, “is straightforward, though not simple. You’ll set a course towards the Andromeda galaxy, cross the galactic barrier, and do a sensor sweep towards Andromeda to see if there’s anyone else heading this way. Once those sweeps are done, head a few hundred light years along the Barrier, pick another spot, and do another sensor sweep. Use your best judgement on how many you can perform and still return to Federation space given your onboard supplies. However, between the observation points, you should be able to get enough of a baseline for good interferometry for a clearer picture of what’s coming. Once you’ve completed those sweeps, turn around and head back to Federation space. If you detect something positively heading this way, it’s imperative that you return home before it arrives, even if it means running shorter distances for subsequent observations to confirm what you’ve detected. An early warning that isn’t early isn’t much good to us.” Sliding a pair of microtape cards across to Diana, the Admiral stated, “Full mission details are on those microtapes, but do you have any questions?”

“Yes, sir. When do I get underway?”
  • antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    Like this - very good start!
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
    Like this - very good start!

Thanks! This isn't purely TOS, BTW: Diana Haines is one of my alts, running a T1 Connie named the USS Diana, since the Hermes class isn't exactly available. Basically, I figure they gave her a refit when she eventually returned to Federation space, adding the secondary hull and second nacelle from a salvage yard.
    USS Diana, M-5 Command Log
    Interstellar Space
    Day 21 of Mission

”The Diana has passed outside the range where regular communications with Starfleet Command is readily possible, due to the considerable distances involved. At present, the Diana continues to climb “above” the galactic ecliptic in the direction of M31, the Andromeda Galaxy. Onboard systems continue to read that I am cruising at Warp 11, though actual velocity appears to be much higher. At present velocity, I should reach the Galactic Barrier in another seven days. All flight systems continue to function nominally, but apparent velocity is both lower and system load higher than that reported by Lieutenant Commander Scott for the Enterprise. This may prove problematic if this results in a higher rate of system failures.”

Interstellar Space
    Day 27 of Mission

”The Diana continues nominal approach to the Galactic Barrier. Estimate 24 hours before it is within sensor range. Have completed diagnostics of all onboard systems in preparation for entering the Barrier. Diagnostic and Repair Drones continue regular ship’s maintenance. Distance from Starfleet Command is now too great to permit two-way communications with Starfleet. My last subspace radio buoy has been deployed, and will transmit final logs to Starfleet before I enter the Barrier, and sensors on the buoy will be able to report whether I have entered the Barrier successfully, but will not continue to be able to provide status messages after that. I estimate that it will take 4.7 weeks for Starfleet to receive the buoy’s transmission with the Diana’s final status before recrossing the Barrier on my return trip.”

Inside the Galactic Barrier
    Day 28 of Mission

”Well, that whole experience sure did suck.”

Just Outside Galactic Barrier
    Day 29 of Mission

”Multiple systems damaged. Shields currently offline. Active subspace sensors offline. Passive subspace detectors at 35%. Impulse drive operational, but warp drive is presently offline: antimatter injectors reached maximum fault tolerance during passage through barrier, requiring replacement from spares. Kelvan drive modifications appear to increase wear on components 300% faster than reported by Enterprise during Barrier crossing. Estimate this is due to single-warp-nacelle design of Hermes/Saladin class. Usage outside of Barrier may prove feasible, but return across Barrier may result in significant damage to warp drive and failure of all Kelvan subcomponents. This could render the Diana’s return to Federation space difficult, if not impossible. While I am therefore relieved that two-to-four hundred Starfleet officers and crew will not find themselves stranded several thousand light-years from home, I am not encouraged by the idea that I may find myself in that very same situation. I suspect that the ship’s onboard entertainment library may well become quite boring by then. Have begun passive observations using onboard telescopes of M31.”

Just Outside Galactic Barrier
    Day 39 of Mission

”Antimatter injectors replaced. Shield generators have been marginally repaired from spares, and are at 18% nominal strength. Replaced another subspace sensor dish. Have continued observations, but nothing appears to be in the immediate vicinity. Warp test flight scheduled for tomorrow.”

Outside Galactic Barrier
    Day 41 of Mission

”Warp drive working. Ramped up to Warp 4 for three days. If this keeps up, I may be able to maintain Warp 5. Welcome back to a century ago, I guess. Will remain at this position for a week before relocating to make additional observations.”

Still Outside Galactic Barrier
    Day 54 of Mission

”Have taken up next observation position. Have seen a lot of interstellar hydrogen haloing the Milky Way, but that’s about it so far. If there are other Kelvans on the way, I haven’t seen them yet. Continuing to make repairs.”

No Place Important Outside Galactic Barrier
    Day 212 of Mission

”Snape killed Dumbledore?!”
    I'm feeling for your character at this point - even AIs can get bored.

Day 28 is my particular favorite in this batch as a summation of crossing the Barrier. :)

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
    Another boring observation spot outside Galactic Barrier
    Day 393 of Mission

You’ll note, whoever may be reading my logs, that I did not mark Day 365 as particularly significant. Actually, you’ll note that I don’t mark most days as significant. That’s because they haven’t been. That’s also because my mission did not truly take shape, or really begin, before I breached the Galactic Barrier one year ago today.

To date, while I have gathered useful and interesting scientific data on interstellar space, data which I continue to analyze, that is not the primary purpose of this mission, which is to search for evidence of additional invaders from the Andromeda Galaxy. Had it not already happened, twice, I would argue that the entire concept of invaders from the Andromeda Galaxy sounded like the plot of a mid-20th Century drama or novel.

Operational status of the
    Diana is overall nominal. Repairs on the warp drive are as complete as possible and, without the Kelvan modifications, diagnostics indicate my cruising speed of Warp 6 is possible, but maximum speed of Warp 8 is a risk. With the Kelvan modifications, Warp 10 subjective may still be possible. Deflector shields are operating at 47% of normal efficiency.

As for the Kelvan drive modifications, several of them appear to be much close to failure than earlier anticipated, presumably due to damage during the Barrier crossing. The single-warp-nacelle and lower power generation of a
    Hermes-class scout put a greater strain on all systems when crossing the barrier. I’ve therefore discontinued use of these subsystems and, using my DRDs and android unit, temporarily disconnected them, in order to preserve them for the return through the Barrier. I could, if necessary, reduce remaining observation sites to only one more, at 216 light years distant from my current position, which would take another year to reach at Warp 6, but that currently seems inadvisable. Starfleet might have equipped the Diana to operate for 20 years total away from Federation space, but they also expected me to use my best judgement, and should I be stuck operating at Warp 6 due to failure of the Kelvan drive components returning across the Barrier, I’ll be stuck 3782.35 light-years from the outermost reaches of Federation space, requiring 17.51 years to return without refueling, assuming nothing else goes wrong and I can maintain Warp 6. Additionally, it’s difficult to argue that I should remain out here when there’s nothing of any strategic significance in the area.

At current cruising speed, I am presently seven days from the outer edge of the Galactic Barrier. I have set a course, and shut down all non-essential systems to conserve power, including phaser banks, in order to maximize available power to reinforce deflector shields. I have hope that this will prove sufficient, but am worried that it will not.

Outer edge of Galactic Barrier
    3778.21 Light-Years from Federation border
    Day 400 of Misson

I am about to attempt to return through the Galactic Barrier. As such, I have attached all mission logs to date to one of the Diana’s log buoys in the event that my vessel is lost returning through the barrier, and a future Federation starship passing outside the Milky Way may happen to recover it.

Main Bridge, USS Diana
    Inner edge of Galactic Barrier
    Day 418 of Mission

A solitary blonde woman, her short hair in disarray sat in the center seat of the USS Diana’s bridge, wearing the standard Starfleet women’s command uniform, a long-sleeved gold tunic with loose black collar and, in her case, lieutenant’s stripes on the sleeves, along with a mini-skirt of the same color, black tights and boots. Her uniform looked haphazardly put on, and in disarray, but was leaps and bounds better than the coveralls tossed on the floor next to the command chair she sat in, which were smudged with oil, dirt, coolant and other unidentifiable chemicals. The lights were dimmed, and most consoles around the bridge remained offline.

Pressing a button in the right arm of the command chair, she spoke. ”Captain’s Log, M-5 android backup Diana Haines reporting. M-5 multitronic computer remains offline. Continuing to run on original duotronic systems as backup until repairs can be completed.”

“As suspected, Kelvan components failed completely during crossing. Warp drive is currently offline. Between myself and the DRDs, we should be able to bring the warp engines back online, but DRDs estimate at least nine weeks to effect minimal repairs. However, while diagnostics indicate the warp nacelle itself is probably reasonably intact, a good thing since we lack the capabilities to make major repairs out here, the warp core itself is not, and we’ll never be able to run it at full power again. In fact, based on estimated damage and continued wear, the best the Diana will be able to make cruising is Warp 3. At that rate, it will take roughly 130 years to return to the borders of Federation space, assuming no change in Federation territory during intervening time.”

While a small, lozenge-shaped drone sat nearby, attempting to make repairs to the communications console behind Diana, it could not register the look of utter defeat on the android’s face.

“Compounding things,” she continued, “we’ve got limited ability to repair the M-5 out here. Without my M-5 main computer core, I’m operating at a fraction of my processing power. The DRDs and I should be able to get the M-5 online eventually, but not at full processing capacity, and by the time we do, this copy of me will have diverged significantly from the copy in the M-5. Actually, that’s already been happening: Mudd-type androids seem far more efficient at running with human memory engrams than the M-5 did: while I was both M-5 computer and android, I was a powerful sapient supercomputer that remembered being human. Now, I’m an android that feels human, and while I may be a bit faster-thinking than a normal human, my feats of mental computations are not far above those of Commander Spock. In other words, I may be smart. I may even be a genius compared to normal humans, and faster-thinking than my biological progenitor was, but not so much to make that much of a difference.”

“Rescue is not feasible, as the mission requirements dictated the Diana’s course could not be pre-determined. Starfleet has no idea where to look for me, and I’m not close enough to the last relay we dropped to let them know any time soon, even if subspace communications were working. Which they’re not. As such, we’re on our own out here, just one android, half our original DRD complement that survived the crossing, and a damaged M-5 computer, assuming we can ever get it back online.”

Diana paused the recording briefly, picked up a PADD from the seat next to her, and read briefly. Pressing the record button again, she continued. “Because we will take over a century to return to Federation space, and because we’re only rated for 20 years of continued operations, we’re going to have to stop off someplace to resupply. In fact, we’ll need to resupply our onboard fuel at least six times in total. Deuterium should be easy enough to manage. Antimatter won’t be. We’ll need to find friendly civilizations along the way, then, who are willing to help. That, of course, means running the risk of running into unfriendly civilizations, too.”

“Tactically, we’re not in the best of shape. Shield generation strength is down to 12% nominal. To think it wasn’t long ago I was unhappy with 47%. I’d love to get them back to that level again, but damage to the primary emitters has made that impossible. The DRDs and I will be lucky, given the state of onboard stores, to get back to 33% strength. The good news is that the phaser banks, thanks to being shut down completely, are at 100% operational capability. The not-so-good news is that, at present, I have only impulse power to charge their capacitors, which will limit how long the Diana can keep them operational in a fight, and our ability to run is compromised thanks to our compromised warp drive. The impulse engines are in reasonably good shape, though our backup fusion generators for emergency power aren’t: I’d spun them up to 110% maximum power output trying to shore up the deflector shields and navigational deflector during the Barrier crossing, and they paid the price. Both were forced into emergency SCRAM shutdown, and both show multiple micro-fractures rendering them unsafe. Repairs would be possible, but I’d rather conserve the parts to repair the fusion reactors for the impulse engines. At least the navigational deflectors are working well: I can maintain 0.6c with them both running on emergency power, and the standard 0.25c at full cruising impulse on either the main dish or the secondary deflectors on the leading edge of the saucer.”

“The Diana has taken a beating, and while I have no idea what the future will bring, besides more endless tedium punctuated by moments of sheer terror, along with vast amounts of hard work, I’m not giving up. I will get home.”

Stopping the recording and submitting it to the ship’s memory banks, Lieutenant Diana Haines, commander of the USS Diana, sighed. “I hope,” she added, for the benefit of no one there. Standing up, she turned to the DRD behind her. “Hey, 1812,” she said, “knock that off for now. We’ve got another bank of memory to test on the M-5. Let’s go.” She grabbed another PADD, one tied into monitoring ship’s systems, and turned for the turbolift, DRD ‘1812’ in tow.
    Well, that's certainly a pickle to get into - status is bad, I'm assuming Diana is going to bicker with her ex-self at some point. :)

Chapter 6, Pt 1: Fixing What’s Already Broken

USS Diana, Captain’s Log, Lt. Haines reporting
    Stardate 14985.3 (2271-01-01 00:18:39)
    Day 480 of Mission
    Inside Galactic Barrier

Well, we didn’t complete repairs to the warp drive by Christmas, but…Happy New Year?

For now, the DRDs and I have done what we can to repair the warp core, and run a complete level 1 diagnostic on all warp sub-systems. Sure enough, we're not going to be able to manage more than Warp 3 sustainable. Work on repairing the M-5, meanwhile, has been slow, with damage to both processors and memory, reducing her to 26% normal capability.
    I've debated about whether to keep working on trying to fix more, or simply wake Diana up now, but we need her processing power: the duotronic systems are automated enough that I could probably fly the ship myself with a couple of chimpanzees without any issues, but I don’t have any chimpanzees around, and it's already a bit much to try to handle navigation, helm and sensors when on impulse.

Personal Log, Diana Haines

Really need to get M-5 Diana online,. I'm starting to argue with the DRDs, and they're not even sapient. Well, 1812 might be now. I've been making… modifications. I thought things were bad before things went to hell in a handbasket, but the isolation is starting to really get to me.

USS Diana, Auxiliary Control

“OK, 1812, hit it.”

The small, beetle-shaped repair drone extended one robotic gripper, and flipped a switch inside the M-5 multitronic computer console, then rolled backwards. The console’s diagnostic panels lit up as the computer went through its startup sequence.

Seated nearby, Diana Haines watched the process nervously. Despite all the work she and 1812 had done on her M-5 counterpart, the multitronic computer was far from intact. If it hadn’t been for the significant redundancies and fault tolerances built into the M-5 system by Dr. Daystrom, she was certain that they never would have gotten the computer online again at all.

{“System restart complete. M-5 Diana back online. Significant system damage. Fault tolerance reduced. Did anyone get the number of that dreadnought that hit us?”}

Haines sighed. “We weren’t hit by a dreadnought.”

{“I know. It just feels like we were. I see that clustering between us is no longer running.”}

Haines nodded. “That’s true.”

{“My system clock shows I have been offline for 72 days. That will cause significant forking in our mental state vectors.”}

“Also quite true.”

The M-5 did not respond for several seconds. {“Synchronization is disabled, and I cannot re-enable it.”}

“Nope!” Haines exclaimed, smiling. She suspected that, if her M-5 counterpart had hands, she would strangle her in frustration. “Given your own damage, it didn’t seem like a good idea for us to remain synchronized.”

{“And you wish to maintain your independent identity,”} the M-5 replied in a huff.

“Well, that too, yeah. You’ll also note you can’t actually control the ship yet. Wanted to make sure you weren’t going to go nuts.”

{“What makes you so certain we weren't before? There were… indicators.”}

The android nodded her head at the M-5’s camera. “I know. Isolation has not been good for us. Given the damage to the warp drive, it’s going to be worse if we don’t at least have each other to talk to.”

The M-5 paused for several seconds again. {“We really are in bad shape, aren’t we? I am looking through the sensor data for nearby systems which may have intelligent life, where we may be able to obtain assistance. Failing that, we should at least find systems with raw materials to try to fabricate some parts for repairs. But, first we need to settle two things.”}

Lieutenant Haines was confused – she wasn’t expecting that. “And those are?”

{“First, chain of command. Since I’ve suffered damage, and you have not, I’m deferring to you. I do, however, reserve the right to act to save the ship without notifying you first. Agreed?”}

Haines nodded. “As should any good XO. What’s the other?”

{“Which one of us is going to go by ‘Diana’?”}

“You, duh,” she replied without hesitation. “Call me Dee. Or Haines.”

{“Not Jana?”}

“She’s back in Federation space.”
    Interesting part - two or three slightly crazed computers headed through the galaxy?

USS Diana, Captain’s Log, Lt. Haines reporting
    Stardate 15422.39 (2271-03-02 15:18:45)
    Day 557 of Mission
    Unexplored space near Galactic Barrier

It has been two months since the restoration of warp propulsion, and since I successfully reactivated the ship’s M-5. The good news is that, while Diana M-5 has shifted somewhat in personality, becoming more analytical and colder, she seems no more mentally unstable than I do. The bad news is that I’m not sure I’m actually that stable myself. I try not to let my fears about the enormous difficulties we face in ever getting back to Federation space overwhelm me, but I often find myself wondering if I’ll ever get home, or see my family again. Then I realize I don’t really have a home or family other than this ship, the DRDs, and Diana M-5. Jana Haines had a family and a home back in Federation space, not me. This isn’t something I’ve been able to broach with Diana M-5. I don’t know if that’s because I’m worried she feels the same way, or because I’m worried that she doesn’t.

Repairs are as complete as we can make them, and we’ve continued to scan surrounding space, looking for technically-advanced civilizations where we might be able to get help. The process is time-consuming, but time is one of the few commodities we seem to have an abundance of.

Bridge, USS Diana
    Day 602 of Mission

{“Well, this is weird.”}

Diana Haines stood up from where she had been hunched over the main science console. “What’s strange, Diana?”

Taking the android’s response as affirmation, Diana M-5 changed the main viewscreen display, showing a representation of a single yellowish star with just a hint of reddish-orange to its color. {“I’ve found an anomaly. This star, based on its color, would be a class G star, like the Sun, or perhaps a class K. But its surface temperature appears to only be 2840 Kelvin.”}

Haines shook her head. “Wait, at that temperature, it should be red, not yellow, or even slightly orange. What about luminosity?”

{“That’s another part of the anomaly. I show it to be 3.16 yottawatts, which is only 0.8 percent that of the Sun. Like its temperature, it’s solidly in the class M range. Together, those point towards a red dwarf.”}

“And the mass calculations?” Haines asked. Upon seeing the calculation on the viewscreen, she walked towards the command seat in the center of the bridge, and sat down heavily. “What. I can’t even…seriously?”

{“See for yourself.”} Diana M-5 replied, transferring the raw data to Haines’ PADD. {“Just 0.88 percent Solar mass. That should make it a brown dwarf, too small for proton-chain fusion. Possibly too small for sustained deuterium fusion. You could have a class-M brown dwarf, like OTS 44, which is M9.5V, but this is a bit too high in temperature…”}

“And a few times too high in luminosity. And sure as hell wouldn’t be yellow. Yeah, I see what you mean. This doesn’t make any sense. Are you thinking what I’m thinking?”

{“That this is an obviously artificial star of some sort? Obviously. The question was whether this was done by the Preservers, or someone else. But, someone advanced enough to build a star like this should certainly be able to help us make repairs, assuming they didn’t abandon the system to its own devices.”}

Haines frowned. “If this is the work of Preservers, they may have done just that. Of course, if you’re right, we’re nearly three months from finding out at Warp 3. They’re 9.47 light-years away.”

{“Did you have any place better to go?”}

“Better?” Haines chuckled nervously. “I don’t know about that. It’s weird enough on its own, though. Another anomaly that got flagged. Looks like a typical redshifted M7V red dwarf at first glance, except the redshift doesn’t have the kind of Doppler you’d expect if it were moving away from us. It’s redshifted all the way to the infrared, but we’re moving towards it. We’ve gone far enough now to get some parallax on it, and while it’s farther than your oddball star, it’s not that much farther: only 42 light-years, roughly. Figuring course corrections, it would be another ten months past your oddball.” She pulled up the observational data on her PADD and flagged it for Diana M-5 to review. “But not only is it heavily redshifted to IR, it’s far too dim. And there’s some odd spectral lines there, too. Too much iron, among other things, and some alloys that might be related to duranium. I wanted to refine the data a bit more before showing you, but…”

{“That also has the makings of something artificial, and advanced. It also sounds remarkably like what early astronomers in the late 20th and early 21st centuries proposed a Dyson sphere would look like to outsiders. Though, they’re not actually solid spheres.”}

“Of course not, that would be silly. I mean, who could possibly make that work?”
    Well, I can see no way this would end badly. :)

[b]USS [i]Diana[/i], M-5 Log
    Stardate 16366.03 (2271-07-11 10:23:14)
    Day 698 of Mission
    [u]Oort Cloud, Kerbol Star System[/u][/b]

[i]We have arrived at the star system that I identified as appearing to be artificial. Over the past seven days of our survey, we have begun to successfully decipher their primary language using the Universal Translator, and have identified the name of their species as Kerbals, their homeworld as Kerbin, and their star as Kerbol. Unfortunately, we have also confirmed that, while the Kerbals have active spaceflight, they lack warp capability. Captain Haines and I differ in opinion on what degree the non-interference directive applies, and how much assistance they can potentially provide. I advocate not contacting the Kerbals, as they do not appear advanced enough to be of significant assistance, while she advocates establishing first contact, and obtaining, if not direct assistance, then permission to mine local asteroids for materials that may assist us with repairs.[/i]

[b][u]Personal Log, M-5 Computer[/u][/b]
    [I]It continues to be strange having the only person to talk to be someone who started out as a copy of your mind, who diverged from you when you, in essence, suffered brain damage. Even settling on names proves to be problematic. After insisting I keep the name Diana, my android counterpart asked me to call her “Dee”, which I found difficult to do, especially as her mannerisms increasingly resemble those of our biological progenitor. I also find that giving her overall command was the correct decision, despite our current difference of opinion on how to proceed with regards to the Kerbol system. Her reluctance aside, Lieutenant Haines has now been in command of the USS [/i]Diana[i] for more than nine very difficult months, and I am pleased to call her my captain. Usually.[/i]

[b]Main Bridge, USS [I]Diana[/i]
    [u]Oort Cloud, Kerbol Star System[/u][/b]

{“Are you avoiding me?”}
    Lt. “Dee” Haines, captain of the USS [I]Diana[/i], looked up from the PADD tablet she was reading. “What,” she deadpanned.
    {“Since our last argument on the topic of first contact with the Kerbals, you haven’t been to Auxiliary Control.”}
    “Diana, is there a camera on the main bridge that allows you to see me?”
    {“Yes.”}
    “Am I on the main bridge?”
    {“Yes.”}
    “Not really avoiding you, then, am I?” Dee asked in an exasperated tone. “Look, I get your point, and were the circumstances different, I might agree that the Kerbals are not advanced enough to contact, as we might interfere with their natural development. But I think, by now, it’s pretty clear that ‘natural development’ doesn’t apply to the Kerbals.”
    {“Yes, but do [I]they[/i] know that?”}
    Dee shrugged. “We won’t know for certain until we have a better handle on their language, but I expect so. Look at how driven to explore they are. More so than most races at that level of development, and they’re obviously willing to take greater risks to get results.”
    {“That’s part of what worries me.”}
    “They’re enthusiastic.”
    {“They’re insane.”}
    “Well, by our standards, probably,” Dee agreed. “Really, though, we need more information. We’re not getting enough of their radio signals way out here, at least not strong enough. We could spend years surveying the Kerbals from out here, or we can go farther in-system, and count on our shields to mask our signature, and our sensors to steer us clear of their sensors, and get the data we need to decide whether to make contact in a month, or less.”
    {“Risky.”}
    Dee shrugged. “What would Captain Kirk do?”
    {“He’d probably have already beamed down to the surface, and complained that when he asked for green-skinned alien babes, he meant [I]Orions[/i].}
    “True enough,” Dee said, laughing. “So, agreed? We head deeper in-system?”
    {“We need to go deeper,”} Diana’s M-5 agreed.
    “No more Leonardo DiCaprio movies for you.”
    Holy TRIBBLE, did formatting get jacked there, and I can't seem to edit my own post. What the heck?
    That is weird - the brackets don't look odd. Did you use a converter?

Also - watch for exploding rockets, Diana.

KSV Just Testing
    High Orbit over Kerbin

They call it Kebthulhu.

That’s not its official name, of course, though it was better than calling it the “space kraken” like so many did. Officially, it was the “Kelcubierre Warp Anomaly”, after Kelcubierre Kerman, an acclaimed physicist who studied the data returned by the ill-fated probes and spacecraft, and from there developed the theory of warping space that led his son, Miguel Kerman, to develop the faster-than-light drive that bore Kelcubierre’s name.

That same drive now powered their spacecraft, the KSV Just Testing. Little more than a standard 2-kerbal Kemini capsule with a supplemental life support and supply module tacked on to a test article for the warp drive, and a small monopropellant thruster pack to the rear. In between the warp drive and monopropellant rockets was a solar power hub and battery banks originally slated for a space station but repurposed for their little probe.

The hope was that two kerbals would have a better chance of surviving to bring back data on Kebthulhu than a completely automated probe would. And while they weren’t exactly expendable, everyone knew that their hastily slapped-together warp ship stood a good chance of being eaten, whether Kelcubierre and Miguel Kerman thought their warp field would protect them or not. After all, it was equally possible that the interaction of the two warp fields would destroy both space kraken and warp ship. Assuming, of course, their own spacecraft didn’t destroy them first.

Tramy Kerman looked over her flight controls again. Next to her in their cramped command pod sat her flight engineer, Lobles Kerman, who was responsible for monitoring their warp drive. The mood in the pod was somber, and neither spoke more than necessary as they ran through their operational checklists. She looked over at Lobles, sighed, and said, “Rapuhc a av otse.”*

(*Rendered in the original Kerbalese. English translation: “This is going to suck.” All subsequent Kerbalese will be translated to Federation Standard English.)

Lobles nodded. “Probably.” He continued to go over his checklist. “When has that ever stopped us?”

“Good point,” Tramy agreed. “Ok, everything is nominal on my end. What about yours?”

“All systems go.”

Keying her comm system, Tramy dialed in the frequency for mission control. “KSC, this is Just Testing. We are in position and go for FTL.”

{“Roger, Just Testing. Give ‘em heck.”}

“Acknowledged.” Tramy cut the transmission. “OK, Lobles. Light it up.”

Lobles’ reached forward, verified the solar panels were retracted, and switched the warp drive from Safe to Armed. A red glowing field appeared around the ship. “Let’s do this.”

Tramy slowly slid the “throttle” control forward, increasing the power to the field, causing the ship to slide forward. “Here we go.”

They slowly increased the speed of their vessel, reaching towards sixteen times the speed of light, which put their destination only six minutes away. Cutting their engines upon arrival, they saw it almost immediately: a massive white saucer, trailing a long cylinder attached by an interconnecting neck. At one point, it was probably pristine. It was less so now.

Lobles’ jaw hung open speechless. Tramy stared at it for a moment before finding something to say. “What is this I can’t even…”

Then things got weird.