test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Should We be Lounging on Risa in the Middle of a War?

grnlbrtnfrntgrnlbrtnfrnt Member Posts: 0 Arc User
The entire fate of the galaxy hangs in the balance, homeworlds are being invaded, star bases blown up, kahless struck down and we're supposed to go to Risa and Samba and build sand castles?
[SIGPIC]PWE IS NOT A REPUTABLE COMPANY[/SIGPIC]
Post edited by grnlbrtnfrnt on

Comments

• rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Think about this an USO show kind of deal. Morale has won and lost more wars than anything else.
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Go watch some MASH and see people going to Tokyo for R&R. Same thing.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    ...my crew is supposed to be fighting a war?

Can't I just sit back and make sand castles all day?
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• svindal777svindal777 Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    The war can wait, we got new bikinis coming.
    Well excuse me for having enormous flaws that I don't work on.
  • kitsunesnoutkitsunesnout Member Posts: 1,210 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Maybe Iconians wants a vacation too? :P

Devs should put Iconian NPC's on the beach.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    As long as the Lobi Consortium gets a No-Bid Contract for the war, yes. We go to war. We die in the Iconian War. The Lobi Consortium makes money. This is how wars work.

You don't think it's coincidence that Risa stopped offering Risian Starships? This Iconian War isn't for the fate of the galaxy.

It's a war for Lobi Crystals.

Then they make money off of Risa vacations and say it's for the "morale" of the alliance. You want to support the troops, right? Then stop criticising the extravagent Risa R&R vacations, you damn Iconian lover!

This is why I'm naming my Nandi the USS Halliburton.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • tigercatgirltigercatgirl Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Hey I'm happy to see a new ferengi ship...mine was getting pretty old. Besides they will need new ship designs if they want any new factions to play.
  • takegurutakeguru Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Don't worry, I'm going to be lounging on Andoria.

Boycott Risa with me.
  • nickodaemusnickodaemus Member Posts: 711 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    What? You never heard of Shore leave?
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I vote the Iconians do something useful with their planet-busters and glass that artificial "paradise".
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • delaromadelaroma Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Wait a minute - there is a war going on :eek: since when :D
  • askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    iconians wrote: »
    As long as the Lobi Consortium gets a No-Bid Contract for the war, yes. We go to war. We die in the Iconian War. The Lobi Consortium makes money. This is how wars work.

You don't think it's coincidence that Risa stopped offering Risian Starships? This Iconian War isn't for the fate of the galaxy.

It's a war for Lobi Crystals.

Then they make money off of Risa vacations and say it's for the "morale" of the alliance. You want to support the troops, right? Then stop criticising the extravagent Risa R&R vacations, you damn Iconian lover!

This is why I'm naming my Nandi the USS Halliburton.

Best explanation ever.
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    The entire fate of the galaxy hangs in the balance, homeworlds are being invaded, star bases blown up, kahless struck down and we're supposed to go to Risa and Samba and build sand castles?

though I hate to state the obvious I thought I should tell you, it is only a game you know, its only for fun, the fate of mankind does not hang in the balance and I can guarantee we wont loose this war just because you choose to take some time out and go to risa.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Still can't find that war people keep talking about. I've just been hitting some random patrols and running duty officer rounds. Nothing too serious.

The Iconians are contained in a few isolated systems that we only have to check on once a week. I don't think there's much to worry about, so we can lounge around on Risa. :P
  • ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Hello OP it's called R&R and happens in wartime. Take a lesson from WW2 Allied forces rotated to a staging area to regenerate. Allied Combat aircrews rotated roughly every 25 missions to either train new crews or recouperate and maintained an edge as the war dragged on. Axis crews did not and were ground up lossing valuable experience in the form of knowledge to passed onto new crews. In the game the R&R on Risa can be taken as yard time for the ships to be repaired and refit.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    askray wrote: »
    ...my crew is supposed to be fighting a war?

That's actually the very first thing I thought as well when seeing this thread.

In the game I'm playing, there is no 'War.' Outside of a few incursions in story line missions, the Iconian presence is non existent.

You could never tell from the feeling in game that we're 'at war.' I just look at it as this 'war' doesn't really consume much of anyones time anyway so might as well go relax for a bit between scattered incursions.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • aelogriaaelogria Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited June 2015

No. Especially after seeing what the Iconians did to New Romulus. Talk about easy pickings for them. Im just imagining a bunch of Star Fleet officers in board shorts running and screaming like a bunch of ninnies as the Iconians blow the planet up.

Then again... this is a game. And you need something different in a game from time to time.

Its not going to stop the thought in the back of mind mind with an Andorian running around with his little idol screaming like a girl. :)

I also cant imagine a Harold building a sand castle and dancing the samba. Thats if they came to Risa to party it up.

@Desdecardo since 2008.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    It's not a war. It's only a few skirmishes.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    delaroma wrote: »
    Wait a minute - there is a war going on :eek: since when :D

True .
    This war is more of a here say .
    A few skirmishers do not make a war .

... now if the OP had asked "do we have to go to GRIND in the middle of a supposed war? " , that'd be a different question entirely ...
  • chandlerasharichandlerashari Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited June 2015
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    As a representative of the Klingon Empire, I would like to state that the Chancellor wishes to extend his immense gratitude to the Iconians and their Herald soldiers. This "invasion" of Qo'nos has brought a tremendous amount of excitement to the citizens of the Empire.

No longer do Klingons have to venture into the borders of the Empire to find battle.

No longer do Klingons have to travel to the far away Delta Quadrant to swat a few lizards down and step on some snakes.

Instead, the "Invasion" of Qo'nos is sort of like, "The Circus is in town" and it's time to bring everyone and the family over for some fun. This is wholesome family entertainment! Except everyone gets to participate and not just spectate!

"The Iconians have opened a Theme Park on Qo'nos and the Klingons LOVE IT!?!" - Unidentified Starfleet Officer
    XzRTofz.gif
  • nulonunulonu Member Posts: 507 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    What war? I mean I read about one and played a couple episodes but haven't felt like a war is happening? Ima go surfing and flying..
  • lucianazetalucianazeta Member Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    That's actually the very first thing I thought as well when seeing this thread.

In the game I'm playing, there is no 'War.' Outside of a few incursions in story line missions, the Iconian presence is non existent.

You could never tell from the feeling in game that we're 'at war.' I just look at it as this 'war' doesn't really consume much of anyones time anyway so might as well go relax for a bit between scattered incursions.

They could learn to look at Mass Effect 3 for the real war feel, it had it's flaws *cough*ending*cough*, but throughout the entire game you constantly felt the looming presence of the Reapers, either because it was constantly talked about, or because you saw the consequences of it wherever you went.
    STO%20Sig.png~original
  • fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Nontheless, I am going to patrol the Risian sector area, so everybody can have a good time.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    They could learn to look at Mass Effect 3 for the real war feel, it had it's flaws *cough*ending*cough*, but throughout the entire game you constantly felt the looming presence of the Reapers, either because it was constantly talked about, or because you saw the consequences of it wherever you went.

Agreed completely.

Mass Effect did a great job of making you feel like the situation was dire and that the horrors of war lurked around every corner.

While I don't know if that could ever fully be replicated in an MMO, I'm sure there is a middle ground between that and the STO feel of 'things are normal and occasionally an Iconian does something that you easily put a stop to.' :D
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    War is boring. Lie down in the sun, grab a drink and watch some tails - that's what life's about :D
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Pah, I made my Commander a temporary Captain and sent them on their way.

I didn't get to Fleet Admiral for nothing...
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Instead, the "Invasion" of Qo'nos is sort of like, "The Circus is in town" and it's time to bring everyone and the family over for some fun. This is wholesome family entertainment! Except everyone gets to participate and not just spectate!

Sure Bro, my feddies are there each day now to keep that party goin. It’s a fun none stop festival and when hangover starts I just leave. Think we have a good shuttle service to Risa in place.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Meh, the war is 3 episodes deep now and the only thing I've been allowed to do is blow up some Herald cannon fodder and watch NPCs lose in cutscenes.

I'm sure they can do that just fine without me. I'm going to Risa. Call me when its time to win the war.