test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Dev request: Ship trait "Frontal Assault"

trekpuppytrekpuppy Member Posts: 446 Arc User
Could "Frontal Assault" perhaps be modified at some point to also activate when using beam abilities? I strongly believe it should be the captain's prerogative to chose any weapon type for his or her ship without having to sacrifice the unique ship trait of the Vaadwaur Manasa.
---
"-Grind is good!" --Gordon Geko
Accolades checklist: https://bit.ly/FLUFFYS
Post edited by trekpuppy on

Comments

• warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Obviously, beams need help!
    XzRTofz.gif
  • chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    and maybe make it so that you have a 100 percent chance to activate a permanent FAW when activating FAW?
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    The only problem with Frontal assault is the paywall.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • baelogventurebaelogventure Member Posts: 1,002 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    You know, I was going to reply to this thread with a post simply dripping with sarcasm and venom...but I decided to delete what I had typed out and not finish it.

Simply not worth my time.
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Cannons need the support, not beams. Changing it to include an already overpowered weapon type would be illogical.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    orangeitis wrote: »
    Cannons need the support, not beams. Changing it to include an already overpowered weapon type would be illogical.

^^ Exactly this! Cannons need extra love, not BFAW again. LOL
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    edited June 2015
    Dear devs,

Do not touch Frontal Assault.

Sincerely,
    Me
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    mhall85 wrote: »
    Dear devs,

Do not touch Frontal Assault.

Sincerely,
    Me

My inner troll wants them to give it a stacking buff based on draining the weapon power of any ally firing beams within 10k. More allies drained = more stacks. Would be hilarious and utterly griefer-icious.
  • blitzy4blitzy4 Member Posts: 839 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    It's that the trait on the Strike Ship?
    jKixCmJ.jpg
    "..and like children playing after sunset, we were surrounded by darkness." -Ruri Hoshino

• mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    edited June 2015
    My inner troll wants them to give it a stacking buff based on draining the weapon power of any ally firing beams within 10k. More allies drained = more stacks. Would be hilarious and utterly griefer-icious.

They'd have to change the name... something like "Eff you, beams." :P
    blitzy4 wrote: »

No, that would be "Go For The Kill." That extends the duration of CRF.
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    blitzy4 wrote: »

No i think its the trait from the Manasa I use on the Strike Ship. ;)
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Seriously don't mess with this trait.

The last thing this game needs is more help for beam-boats, they already outclass almost every other type of ship in the game.

And for what it's worth Frontal Assault does work with beams under certain circumstances as it will be activated by Surgical Strikes which buffs both cannons and beams.
    SulMatuul.png
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I completely baffles me why BFAW got buffed and buffed to begin with. Why does "fire at will" improve singe-target damage, exactly? :D
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    As a Beam Boat Captain that uses beams exclusively, I oppose this idea.

The other posters are right, Beams are strong enough. If anything we need more Cannon Specific skills to even the playing field. We don't need nerfs on Beams, we just need to bring Cannons up to par.

Variety is good for everyone. The more options there are, the more we all benefit. Taking one of the few things in the game that favors cannons and altering it to include beams as well would be a mistake.

If they're going to do this, then they should alter Scatter Volley to be the equivalent of BFAW.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • benben500benben500 Member Posts: 112 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Please no. Beams are OP enough already. They don't need more boosts.

I use cannons (yes, I know I'm bad) and after looking this trait up it seems rather nice, so I might want to get the Vaadwaur Ma
    "Bloody explorers, ponce off to Mumbo Jumbo land, come home with a tropical disease, a suntan and a bag of brown lumpy things, and Bob's your uncle, everyone's got a picture of them in the lavatory."
    -Edmund Blackadder-
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    benben500 wrote: »
    Please no. Beams are OP enough already. They don't need more boosts.

I use cannons (yes, I know I'm bad) and after looking this trait up it seems rather nice, so I might want to get the Vaadwaur Ma
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • trekpuppytrekpuppy Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Wow, I don't think I've ever seen so much stupidity concentrated in such a small space although I'm sure someone can point me to another thread. ;)

To all of you who complain about the beam/cannon imbalance, you are on the right track but your efforts in this thread only strengthens that imbalance. My OP identified a disparity between beams and cannons and I asked if it was possible to have that disparity removed.
    The fact that there are other imbalances between beams and cannons is a different matter and I fully agree they should be addressed. So why don't we start with "Frontal Assault" and continue from there in a constructive manner?
    ---
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    trekpuppy wrote: »
    Wow, I don't think I've ever seen so much stupidity concentrated in such a small space although I'm sure someone can point me to another thread. ;)

To all of you who complain about the beam/cannon imbalance, you are on the right track but your efforts in this thread only strengthens that imbalance. My OP identified a disparity between beams and cannons and I asked if it was possible to have that disparity removed.
    The fact that there are other imbalances between beams and cannons is a different matter and I fully agree they should be addressed. So why don't we start with "Frontal Assault" and continue from there in a constructive manner?

Why can't we start in the constructive manner by not causing more of the problem that needs to be fixed?

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
    edited June 2015
    My OP identified a disparity between beams and cannons and I asked if it was possible to have that disparity removed.

Because adding BFAW to 'Frontal Assault' only helps to shift the imbalance even more towards BFAW?! :rolleyes:
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    edited June 2015
    That reasoning makes the assumption that no other progress will be made to balance beams and cannons. What exactly is stopping you from identifying those differences and creating your own requests to balance them?
    ---
  • baelogventurebaelogventure Member Posts: 1,002 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Wow, I don't think I've ever seen so much stupidity...

Oh...you really went there...alright.

Let me explain something to you, since your remedial 4th grade education has obviously failed and you refuse to take the hint from the multitude of posters here saying what an extremely idiotic and absolutely ludicrous idea this is.

Beams are mechanically superior to cannons in every aspect. Would you like reasons?

1. Beams suffer less from drop-off than cannons

2. Beams benefit much more than cannons from weapon overcapping

3. Beams have a much bigger arc

4. FAW makes every Beam strike 2 targets, while CSV is capped at 3 targets total, regardless of number of cannons.

5. FAW starts at a lower rank then CRF/CSV, letting it be mounted on more ships easier, it also allows you to use an Attack Pattern in your Cmdr slot, since FAW3 is Lt Cmdr.

6. Beam Barrage R&D Trait

7.Beams have no travel time, cannon bolts have to physically travel while beams act like a hitscan weapon, striking instantly.

Do I really need to go on? Has your insignificant self been able to process the information given to you? Did you perhaps fail to comprehend such information or were the words I used simply too complex?

Here, let me put it in terms you can understand, OP...

"Durr, da beamz are butter den da canonz beacause math"

Now why don't you crawl back to your cave, troglodyte.
    edited June 2015
    With the exception of the personal attacks, this was an excellent post. What exactly are we disagreeing on? Go ahead and address these issues with the devs instead of attacking me for trying to do exactly that.
    ---
    edited June 2015
    With the exception of the personal attacks, this was an excellent post.

Someone who starts off his convo with "Wow, I don't think I've ever seen so much stupidity," and then goes on to 'reason' why BFAW needs yet another buff first, before looking into anything else, LOL, would probably benefit from reading his own words again, intently, and seeing the irony of his own statement. :P

In the meantime, no extra buff to BFAW, please.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    edited June 2015
    My better judgement tells me that I should stop this now but with my suggested 4th grade education I can safely ignore that. :)

I identified an imbalance between beams and cannons and kindly asked if it could be corrected. I'm immediately attacked with arguments that imbalances are bad and that I should crawl back under the rock I came from. Yes, I know imbalances are bad which is why I asked to have it corrected in the first place. (Or do you mean that imbalances are bad ONLY if cannons suffer?)

I apologize to anyone who felt insulted by my choice of words but I can't label an argumentation like this as anything else than stupid. I'm fully aware that there are OTHER imbalances between beams and cannons, as shown by the excellent post above. I'm not stopping anyone from bringing this to Cryptic's attention and try to have it corrected but please stop attacking me from trying to do exactly this.

I'm signing off from this discussion now and hope that the long term goal of balancing weapon types can continue even if it happens to benefit beams in particular situations short term.
    ---
    edited June 2015
    My better judgement tells me that I should stop this now but with my suggested 4th grade education I can safely ignore that. :)

I identified an imbalance between beams and cannons and kindly asked if it could be corrected. I'm immediately attacked with arguments that imbalances are bad and that I should crawl back under the rock I came from.

What you actually did was start off calling everyone stupid:

Translated to legible English:

"Yeah, I know there's a huge imbalance between BFAW and cannon abilities (in favor of the former); but let's just buff BFAW further, for now, by adding 'Frontal Assault' to it, and then we can deal with the imbalances later."

*boggle*

Has it ever occured to you that tying 'Frontal Assault' exclusively to cannon abilities *is* the way to start removing the imbalance?!
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • demonicaestheticdemonicaesthetic Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2015

I identified an imbalance between beams and cannons and kindly asked if it could be corrected. I'm immediately attacked with arguments that imbalances are bad and that I should crawl back under the rock I came from. Yes, I know imbalances are bad which is why I asked to have it corrected in the first place. (Or do you mean that imbalances are bad ONLY if cannons suffer?)

I apologize to anyone who felt insulted by my choice of words but I can't label an argumentation like this as anything else than stupid. I'm fully aware that there are OTHER imbalances between beams and cannons, as shown by the excellent post above. I'm not stopping anyone from bringing this to Cryptic's attention and try to have it corrected but please stop attacking me from trying to do exactly this.

I'm signing off from this discussion now and hope that the long term goal of balancing weapon types can continue even if it happens to benefit beams in particular situations short term.

Allow me to paraphrase your posts in plain english, so everyone can see what you are actually saying.
    trekpuppy wrote:

I have a steak dinner, you have a slice of stale bread, I agree this is unfair, but it's your job to complain about this, meanwhile, I have noticed you have a piece of candy for dessert, and I have no dessert after my steak dinner.

GIVE ME YOUR CANDY, YOU POOR PERSON. I AM ENTITLED!

If we're going to request dev-time to fix 'imbalance' lets start by trying to REDUCE the overall imbalance, not ENLARGE it because you feel your bfaw cruiser spam isn't big enough to impress the girls.
    <center><font size="+5"><b>Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day...
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life...</b></size></center>
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2015
    Could "Frontal Assault" perhaps be modified at some point to also activate when using beam abilities? I strongly believe it should be the captain's prerogative to chose any weapon type for his or her ship without having to sacrifice the unique ship trait of the Vaadwaur Manasa.

If you need help with beams, you need to learn to pilot your ship.
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    lucho80 wrote: »
    If you need help with beams, you need to learn to pilot your ship.

... If you need help with beams, ignoring uber high game breaking DPS, your just beyond help.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • e30erneste30ernest Member Posts: 1,794 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I identified an imbalance between beams and cannons and kindly asked if it could be corrected.

But the fact that beams do not benefit from this trait is pretty much balancing due to beams inherent lead against all weapon types.

Balance does not mean equal access to all skills/traits. In that case, beams do not need this trait nor should it get it at the current game status.
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Agreed,and while you're at it why dont you petition Cryptic for some more Cruisers,obviously there is a lack of those in the game :rolleyes:

There you go, I fixed that for you! :D
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!