test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Help: A Gathering Darkness

crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
edited May 2015 in The Academy
So, I ran this mission on my first ever toon, and was exhaused after completing it an hour and a half later.

I created several other alts thereafter and chose to skip this mission each time...

Then along came the Delta Recruits and I had to run it to complete the missions, and I was reminded why I was skipping it.

My issue: I can complete the mission alright, but not without becoming assimilated or losing my entire crew. And when I respawn, I'm right in the thick of several thousand Borg (being facetious with the numbers) attacking me. I can run out of the Borg complex, get to the beam-out point, and survive, but my crew is left dead in the complex. If I try to rescue my crew, I "die" or get assimilated time and time again.

Is there a secret to getting through this mission with all hands?

Thanks for your help!
CM
"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
Post edited by crm14916 on

Comments

• Options
    giliongilion Member Posts: 686 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I never had problems with it until I did it on a Delta Recruit so I know what you're talking about. Best advice I can give is to set your boffs to passive and then just ignore everything as you run out.
    edited May 2015
    Walk slowly out of the base, kill all Borg before moving to the next group. Wait for the undine to kill the ones out front. Then engage the undine.

What are your boff powers? And what gear do they have?

I find 90% of trouble people have on the ground is from really bad boff builds.

On weapons: get two exploit weapons (split beam, romulan piercing, or compressionistol) and three expose (full auto, pulsewave). Never ever use stun, wide beam or blast assault weapons except for rp/lulz. Give every boff a stack of small hypos, a tribble, a Borg remodulator and if you have them a battle pet (horta, shard of possibilities, mastiff, etc).

Only have your boffs wear polyalloy or energy dampening until you get them hand me down set items you're no longer wearing.

If possible,, get the full jemmy set and romulan navy set. They are free and superb. Wear one, give the other to your favorite boff. Play "mine enemy" twice and get the battle horta pet. Check the zen store, you might have a free polytrinic acid horta. If so, claim it and give to a boff. Also the delta team rez item is good and the ophidian cane.

My usual boff powers until I customize a build:

Tactical:
    Photon grenade, lunge, stealth, motion accelerator

Engineer:
    Mines, turret, mortar, drone

Sci:
    Medical troicorder, tachyon burst, vascular regen, hyperionic radiation

If access to Intel powers:
    Incite chaos, tripwire drone, frictionless grenade (replace any two [not three, just two] of your choice from the above powers)

You can do any mission easily with this setup. Gear mark and color is nearly irrelevant. I ran the dyson battlezone with mark 8 green gear, replacing with mark 10 wwhotes from drops as I went along. There are no story missions, even takedown at 60, that need higher than green mark 10 gear to win with this setup. Better gear is helpful, but not necessary.

I have reliably afkd the assimilated undine boss, and I park my boffs in the generator vs the tholians in the romulan tier 5 mission without ever losing one. They win all the fights without needing my help at all as I just shut down the overloads.

There are many builds that work, and many that are better damage etc.. This is a reliable and easy setup I give to many new players successfully.
  • Options
    giliongilion Member Posts: 686 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Whats wrong with Stun pistols, Wide Beam and Blast Assault? Stun Pistols are good against bosses, Wide Beam can proc large groups, and Blast assault is awesome for Borg Bowling :P

Also those are some pretty weak Tac powers. Whats the point of motion accelerator? Whenever I give a boff stealth they activate it in the middle of a fight, stand around for about 5 seconds and then deactivate it. And Lunge they always seem to use at a bad time. I like using some combination of Battle Strategies, Suppressing Fire, and either Target Optics or Stun Grenade.
    edited May 2015
    gilion wrote: »
    Whats wrong with Stun pistols, Wide Beam and Blast Assault? Stun Pistols are good against bosses, Wide Beam can proc large groups, and Blast assault is awesome for Borg Bowling :P
    they are lower damage than the ones I indicated. You may like them, but check your damage using them and using the ones I recommend. They are in need of some buffs.

Also those are some pretty weak Tac powers. Whats the point of motion accelerator? Whenever I give a boff stealth they activate it in the middle of a fight, stand around for about 5 seconds and then deactivate it. And Lunge they always seem to use at a bad time. I like using some combination of Battle Strategies, Suppressing Fire, and either Target Optics or Stun Grenade.
    Re-read the Intel bit. If you dislike something, swap for one of those. And I absolutely state there are better builds. But to answer your questions:

Lunge they only use vs exposed enemies, not sure why you think they do it at bad times. Motion accelerator makes you immune to holds. They use it in response to things like the Dino's and mugatos doing the pin and smash, or enemy science officers using slows/roots. It also has a small damage buff. Stealth on the kobali battlefield, it is amazingly handy. Vs many ambushes you can set your TAC with stealth and goto and have the ambushers walk right past him into mines/turrets. Then during the fight your highest damage boff has all flanking damage. It also messes with the enemy ai targetting, providing a surprising bit of survivability.

Using the more normal buff powers works great for players who do everything themselves. But then i always find them complaining their boffs are always dead, or totally suck. Believe me, I've tried those builds. This specific set of powers does work. Even though others are stronger once people know more about ground.

On your recommendations, ive found Stun grenade, in particular, is pretty terrible because of how easily it breaks on damage. Try smoke grenade instead, it has a bigger aoe and a debuff that really hurts the ai, and no matter how much you hit them it still works.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I did it yesterday. As a Gorn Science officer. My weapon of choice was the Shard Sword of Kahless. :P Adaptation? what's that? :P And like one of the previous posters said..... if it moves KILL IT!
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    themetalstickmanthemetalstickman Member Posts: 1,010 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I always just run like hell. Your BOFFs don't need to survive to complete the mission, just run through while the Borg and Undine are still fighting. That way neither of them will attack you.
    Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.
  • Options
    schloopdooschloopdoo Member Posts: 373 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I prefer to fight my way out. If you're not using Frequency Remodulators, they're free from the Replicator in your inventory window. You can equip yourself and your entire Away Team with them for free. It's a good idea to ensure that your Boffs have hypos, as well (they go through shield charges like potato chips, so I don't bother giving the Boffs any of those.)

Everyone has their own favorite combination when it comes to Away Team Boffs, but I like to run with two Tactical Officers and two Engineers. The two Tacs provide a lot of buffs, exposes, and grenade spam over the course of a long fight like this mission, and the Engineers can help ensure that your Away Team outguns the enemies with turrets while dropping shield and health generators to keep you on your feet. To keep the enemies' numbers manageable, I clear one room and then take a moment to bask in the warming glow of a Health Generator before progressing to the next. Panicking and running will ensure that you're outnumbered.
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    schloopdoo wrote: »
    (they go through shield charges like potato chips, so I don't bother giving the Boffs any of those.).

In all the time I've been playing (three years) I've never had a boff use a shield or weapon power charge. I've got some boffs with the same stack of 20 in their inventory from 2013. Untouched, even after I dunno how many hours of battle or how many defeats.
  • Options
    bughunter357bughunter357 Member Posts: 587 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    In all the time I've been playing (three years) I've never had a boff use a shield or weapon power charge. I've got some boffs with the same stack of 20 in their inventory from 2013. Untouched, even after I dunno how many hours of battle or how many defeats.

strange never had a Boff not use a charge of some type.

to the OP take it slow after you start the download you get mobbed by borg from every direction take a group at a time then after you have taken care of those make your way out wait for the orbital strikes to hit then engage the borg once you get thru all that let the Undine fight what borg are left then take out any left over Undine and then head to the beam out point simple as that, it is not a race to get out of the complex so there is no reason too panic trying to get out of there. always have a Boff medic with you if possible I would link the a Boff vidoe guide from Jupiter force when Borticus was there but I can not find it at the moment but I am sure if you youtube Jupiter force you will find all there videos from back when STOked was running.
  • Options
    lindalefflindaleff Member Posts: 3,734 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    That mission really is quite simple. Even with my expendable Delta guy, only using mission rewards gear, I still steamrolled the mission, without losing a single guy.

So what is the secret to doing it with only mission rewards gear? Traps. You need to never attack the entire group. Lure a few of them away, 3-4 at a time. You can slowly whittle them down. Yes, it takes a while, but it is better than just rushing into the fight, and getting killed.
    I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
    My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
    Click here to view my DeviantArt.
  • Options
    crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Thanks all for your comments, help, and suggestions!!

I made sure that each of my boffs had a full pack of 20 large hypos each and since I was around for the Acid Horta award a few years back, I packed one in for each one of my ground boffs. I had two melee XII boffs and the other two were carrying a full auto XII and a split beam XII... Each of us had the modulators from the previous episode with the Romulans (name eludes me). Between the 5 of us, we shot at everything that moved (3-4 at a time, if you time it right) and we all survived until the Undine destroyed the Borg and turned on us (just as we were running out of the complex).

I popped my temporal negotiator and ran like hell... We all made it to the beam-out point...

I'm happy with the different outcome! Again, thanks all!!
    CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Cheers to that!