test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Canon endgame D-7 build

staq16staq16 Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User
edited May 2015 in Klingon Discussion
Having levelled a TOS Klingon Delta Recruit, I'm now trying to build him an endgame D-7 based around a Fleet T5U K't'inga.

Granted, it's not a terribly good cruiser by modern standards; but it's the Klingon ship of my childhood and I fell in love with it again running the T3 version to L56 during the Delta Recruit event.

So....

Onscreen, the TOS Klingon cruiser was only ever seen firing nacelle-mounted disruptor bolts, which equate pretty well to Disruptor DHCs. No dramas there.

The term "D7" was actually coined in soft-canon blueprints for the ship (http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/book-of-klingon-plans.php), then popularised by John Ford's novels and Star Fleet Battles, before eventually being made canon in DS9.

That gives those blueprints a certain amount of status IMO, and they give the D-7 a supplementary set of phasers as well, mounted all across the hull (SFB reflected this by giving the D-7's phasers excellent firing arcs).

So; I'm thinking some kind of combination of Disruptor DHCs and Phaser turrets would be the best model of this in-game.

I'm thinking of mixing Disruptor DHCs with Phased Biomatter turrets; after all, TOS era phasers were blue. The Biomatter turrets' AOE effect could give a decent spam-killer effect when combined with CSV. Almost on instinct I'd purchased a set of 4 vulnerability locator disruptor consoles; but here's what I'm thinking. Looking for a build which does not require a lot of Rep grinding.

Front weapons; 3 x Disruptor DHCs, wide-angle Disruptor DHC
Rear weapons; Omni-directional disruptor beam array, 3 x Phased Biomatter turrets

Tac Consoles; 4 x vulnerability locator disruptor.
Eng Consoles; 3 x Fleet RCS Accellerator / Res All, Enhanced RCS accellerator,
Sci Consoles: Hull Repair Drones, Plasmonic Leech, Fleet plasma / partgen console.

Cdr Eng: RSP3, Eng team 3, A2B1, EPTW1.
Lt Cdr Eng: Structural Integrity Collapse 3, A2B1, EPTS1
Lt Tac: CSV1, BAO1
Ens Tac: TT1
Lt Sci: HE2, PH1

DOffs: 3 x Technician, Warp core engineer (Debuff clearing version), Fabrication Engineer (extend RSP).

While not massively powerful, I'm hoping that with a tac captain, this ship can lay down a decent volley and has the turn rate to stay on target in PVE. With ET3 on global, RSP3 and hull repair drones it should also have decent staying power.

Any thoughts / comments welcome!
Post edited by staq16 on

Comments

• angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    A canon build would in my opinion be: 8472 rep torpedo (green photon) or dyson rep (red photon) fore in addition to disruptor DHCs and a photon torp, a omni-directional AP turret and disruptor turrets aft.

The reason for that is that we saw K'Tingas utilize a red forward beam in "Way of the Warrior" which is why I always cosnidered AP weaponry at least semi-canonical in STO - we never heard antiproton as a weapon type mentioned in the shows, but red beams are red beams. Other than that, K'Tingas had nacelle mounted / underslung cannons and photon torpedoes in red and green flavour.

The phaser thing doesn't count in my book as it's not canonical - also, why should Klingons (and Romulans) use phasers. Romulans were said to use phasers, although I treat that as either some never finished prototype or simply a dialogue error.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • staq16staq16 Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Thanks!

I've just had a look at the Memory Alpha article on the D7 and it does indeed show D-7s using red Photon torps (from the remastered series - which I hadn't seen) and a green beam (from the animated series, described as a Phaser).

So yeah - will probably go 3 x DHCs / Photon torp forwards, Omni-beam + disruptor turrets aft. That adds weight to bringing in the counter-command consoles to buff torp damage.
  • kurumimorishitakurumimorishita Member Posts: 1,410 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    In case you could invest some LCs, I recommend to include the Elachi Subspace Torpedo Launcher and the Bioneural Infusion Circuits console from the "Silent Enemy Set". The Torpedo is also green and has quite a punch + the console is one of the best of the lobi store. Not to mention the 2-piece set power which adds to your disruptor damage and shield system. I use this set on all my chars that use Disruptors and it's really great!
    "We might get pretty singed at that range, but not as singed as they're going to get. Engage."
    - Captain Six of Nine aka Ashley "Don't Call Me Ash" Campbell
    q4F10XV.jpg
    ALWAYS OUTNUMBERED, NEVER OUTGUNNED
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    staq16 wrote: »
    Thanks!

I've just had a look at the Memory Alpha article on the D7 and it does indeed show D-7s using red Photon torps (from the remastered series - which I hadn't seen) and a green beam (from the animated series, described as a Phaser).

So yeah - will probably go 3 x DHCs / Photon torp forwards, Omni-beam + disruptor turrets aft. That adds weight to bringing in the counter-command consoles to buff torp damage.

No problem. Don't forget the red beam, though. Obviously the fx seems to be a bit mixed up as the script described them correctly as using disruptors, but those ended up being red. Since however we cannot completely tell that's a mistake in canon (as opposed to someone wearing the wrong rank insignis or department colour) I stand by the notion that it's antiproton :D The green "phaser" is also odd, but could be realized via the counter command phasers. But nobody would notice if you just use disruptors instead :D
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I always liked the idea of a forward and aft photon torpedo for a K'tinga and ran with it for quite some time until I realized that I would be better off with all beams or cannons of a particular weapon type with the tactical consoles that match. I realize however that you're trying to do a setup that mimics the build in the shows. I salute you! Good luck!
    klingon-bridge.jpg