test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Meaningful Progression

cryptkeeper0cryptkeeper0 Member Posts: 989 Arc User
Unfortunately as I have gotten older and have had to put more time outside of the game rather then in it. Even when i had the time, to put much time in this game. I didn't feel the grind that i have felt ever since delta released, no meaningful progression. They really have messed up and yet to actually fix what is wrong with progression post 50.

Heck I still don't have a set mk 14 gear, that is mostly my fault though making sure that I upgrade the right gear with the right kits, as the dilithium costs keep me from jumping all in.

I know meaningful progression is a very subjective thing, but for those that have only maybe 1 or 2hrs of time a day. The current rate at which I can get at the very least Near end game level gear, is nearing unbearable.

Active doff set, full set of mk 14 very rare or ultra rare consoles and gear. Along with a full set of traits, 1 secondary and 1 primary tree full of specialization. Is like having a second full time job a week for a month+.

Especially the specialization trees, the first time you get a primary tree and secondary tree maxed, shouldn't take a person with only a couple hours a day more then a month to complete.

After that sure increase the amount of time for those who must max out progression, and still need things to do. I know the development team considers specialization a thing you just do while you progress in other areas of the game, but it's still a form of gear in the game, without at least one of both primary secondary tree's maxed your not running near end game gear.

Which is why so many people went through the grind of argala, so they could get their near end game gear. It's no different then wanting mk 14 gear, or traits or doffs. Which also alot of the starship traits that are free come with that grind.

So my suggestion to help, both people with lots of alts, and people with little time and both. Make getting one primary tree and one secondary maxed, much faster to gain up to 45 specialization points, then revert to current levels for then next ones.
Post edited by cryptkeeper0 on

Comments

• davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Why do you feel that you need to max out anything?

You can do all of the content except some advanced and elite STFs in green mark 12 gear or free rare / VR rep gear from the daily - hourly boxes.

I happen to enjoy crafting (despite the random number generator for mods) so I do. But I don't need to.

None of my alts has finished a spec tree, but that hasn't kept me from enjoying the game. I don't grind endless patrols for spec points because that is not fun.

Sure, maybe Cryptic should sell spec points in the C store or Lobi store for those that feel they "need" them but the only people who really do are PUG PVP players.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited April 2015

There are folks that will break 75k or more in a G14 FT6 boat. There are folks that couldn't break 2k in a G14 FT6 boat.

While it's possible to do most content in the game in a T5 9 console boat with nothing better than Mk X and only a handful things even at that...that doesn't mean it's possible for the majority of the players in the game.

That's why the content keeps getting nerfed. That's why they keep adding powercreep. It's the intended audience for the game.

Folks will feel they need everything and more as well as having the content nerfed to do things others might take for granted - not even giving it a second thought.

But it's a case of keeping in mind the intended audience of the game...
  • teknesiateknesia Member Posts: 860 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    There are folks that will break 75k or more in a G14 FT6 boat. There are folks that couldn't break 2k in a G14 FT6 boat.

While it's possible to do most content in the game in a T5 9 console boat with nothing better than Mk X and only a handful things even at that...that doesn't mean it's possible for the majority of the players in the game.

That's why the content keeps getting nerfed. That's why they keep adding powercreep. It's the intended audience for the game.

Folks will feel they need everything and more as well as having the content nerfed to do things others might take for granted - not even giving it a second thought.

But it's a case of keeping in mind the intended audience of the game...

Yeah. The t6 bug ship kinda made everything irrelevant for me which paved the way for me to enjoy the game the way I did before the era of lockboxes. The power creep is meaningless and it's only until you see that that the various boundaries that Cryptic imposes are superficial at best and unnecessary at most that the game becomes playable again. Unless of course, you want PvP.
    edbf9204-c725-4dab-a35a-46626a4cb978.jpg
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I don't PVP, but even for PVP you don't need all the toys if you can find people to play with that will abide by ship, gear and trait limits That is, private not PUG PVP.
  • sqwishedsqwished Member Posts: 1,475 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2015
    teknesia wrote: »
    Yeah. The t6 bug ship kinda made everything irrelevant for me which paved the way for me to enjoy the game the way I did before the era of lockboxes. The power creep is meaningless and it's only until you see that that the various boundaries that Cryptic imposes are superficial at best and unnecessary at most that the game becomes playable again. Unless of course, you want PvP.

The point with the bug ship is a good one, just wondering when we're going to see a tier 6 scimitar, in that respect.
    Oh, it's not broken? We can soon fix that!

• teknesiateknesia Member Posts: 860 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    sqwished wrote: »
    The point with the bug ship is a good one, just wondering when we're going to see a tier 6 scimitar, in that respect.

Honestly, what does it matter? I'm more interested in more ship skins than anything else just for some diversity and originality in what I look at while I'm hopping galaxies. It may seem fun rolling around in an OP ship or what have you, but it's not as though content is difficult with my FtT5u T'varo. The only reason I'd buy a t6 ship is if it had some sort of aesthetic that added something to the game. Hence why I haven't been able to stick with a KDF as a main.
    edbf9204-c725-4dab-a35a-46626a4cb978.jpg
  • sqwishedsqwished Member Posts: 1,475 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2015
    teknesia wrote: »
    Honestly, what does it matter? I'm more interested in more ship skins than anything else just for some diversity and originality in what I look at while I'm hopping galaxies. It may seem fun rolling around in an OP ship or what have you, but it's not as though content is difficult with my FtT5u T'varo. The only reason I'd buy a t6 ship is if it had some sort of aesthetic that added something to the game. Hence why I haven't been able to stick with a KDF as a main.

Tbh, Whilst I like the way some of the new ships look, others I'd take certain elements and use them. But I like the way my odyssey flys and performs. So if I could buy the option to re skin the Roddy with say a galaxy skin then I'd gladly stump up some zen to buy that option. I think that some of the more recent released are rather ugly. Sorry to the guys that designed them. I like the look of the presidio class but its the boff seating that's putting me off buying one.
    Oh, it's not broken? We can soon fix that!

• cryptkeeper0cryptkeeper0 Member Posts: 989 Arc User
    edited April 2015

You can do all of the content except some advanced and elite STFs in green mark 12 gear or free rare / VR rep gear from the daily - hourly boxes.

I happen to enjoy crafting (despite the random number generator for mods) so I do. But I don't need to.

None of my alts has finished a spec tree, but that hasn't kept me from enjoying the game. I don't grind endless patrols for spec points because that is not fun.

Sure, maybe Cryptic should sell spec points in the C store or Lobi store for those that feel they "need" them but the only people who really do are PUG PVP players.

Some very good points, but unfortunately I and others I am sure. Are players who don't feel like they are having fun until they get a full toolkit. The specialization tree is just that a tool, to build your ship or character how you want. I love tweaking and tweaking my build. But the slow pace of getting it from the specialization, all I ask is for the first run through of 45 points, to not feel like I'm preforming a marathon or some dull repetitive task.

It's slower progress and more repetition then even it took me to get my first mk 12 borg gear before F2P, with random drops... Sure it's constant and not as random, but I know why they made the system to keep people playing as long as they can this, makes them money. It does work but, not with out lowering my overall experience of the game, which makes me wonder what's next, what new system will effect the build of my ship, so i can continue to explore my Min maxer/modder nature. If it's even more even longer grind, then i might as well go to games that have more respect for what little time I can play.

Which is a shame, because I must say I rather enjoy the story content and am looking forward to really getting into some of the player created stuff as well. It's also trek, which has kept me playing the MMO longer then most.

There are just a few small changes they could make to help People with alts and people with little time play their game. They have done it before with the rep system, with fleet system, boff, stfs. I could go on, that's why I just wanted to leave just a few suggestions.

1. Greatly decrease exp needed for your first 45 specialization points.
    2. Make spaceship traits account unlocks, keep them faction locked or not. Note: A side benefit of this would be, lockbox ships etc become more valuable to people with alts.
    3. Make all upgrade cost the same over all dilithium costs, instead slightly increase the chance of upgrades rarity with the better ones. This would still make experimental worth crafting, and buying from a crafter. But not the difference between more grind or less grind.