test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Patcher: Error 36: A file was locked that could not be open for writing. Restart in..

nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
I've just pre-patched for Season 10 and after everything was downloaded and installed by the launcher it failed with the following message:
Error 36: A file was locked that could not be open for writing. Restart in...

There is no cryptic processes running. Force verify did nothing to solve this. Downloading a new launcher did not solve this. Uninstalling and trying to reinstall via steam and arc did not solve this - in fact, now it won't even open the patcher at all without throwing a windows exception window
"Patcher error

[X] A file was locked that could not be open for writing

[Okay]

The ERRORS.log shows this:
150417 18:44:31 2 [1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing - Could not rename file that could not be overwritten (L:/Games/Steam/SteamApps/common/Star Trek Online/Star Trek Online.exe)

150417 18:44:31 4 [1] ESC : The patchclientlib is returning error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing

150417 18:44:31 5 [1]: Launcher PCL Error A file was locked that could not be open for writing

My forum searching showed that a possible fix was to:
Confirmed.
Yoy Have to go were the game is instaled and DELETE or CUT and paste somewhere else the file "Star Trek Online.exe.deleteme"

then go to Task Manager and close the "Star Trek Online.exe" and restart the lancher and you will be all set

But I don't have that file. So I created a text file and changed the extension to .deleteme. Upon startup of the launcher it did delete it, but the issue was not resolved.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I decided to try and patch in (windows) safe mode (with networking enabled). This worked.

Hopefully this doesn't become a common occurrence. Why the launcher is failing to unlock it's own exe after presumably locking it during the patching process is beyond me.
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I have had a similar issue in the past, with using ARC.

What I did to resolve this issue, was go into permissions for the game client specifically and, allow full administrative permission for the client software.

Ever since than, it has worked perfectly, without Arc interfering when not updated itself.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• realrebelusrealrebelus Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I have been having the same issues with every update lately, the only solution i have found is uninstalling and reinstalling but it is temp. and personally i am getting upset at arc for this. I have tried both of the above solutions and niether work for me still get the error 36 unable to open due to file being locked.
  • firedeval465firedeval465 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I have had a similar issue in the past, with using ARC.

What I did to resolve this issue, was go into permissions for the game client specifically and, allow full administrative permission for the client software.

Ever since than, it has worked perfectly, without Arc interfering when not updated itself.

I was going to post the same thing. More than likely the reason it worked in Safe-Mode is because Safe-Mode automatically logs on with an administrator account giving you full permission. You HAVE to make sure you do this when the computer is logged on in normal mode.

Your computer account may be an Administrative Account but it does not have the full WRITE ACCESS POWER to complete the install. You have to RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR. This should fix it for most all of you.
  • nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Transferring ownership of the files as well as running in Administrator mode did not work for me, which is why I tried safe mode in the first place.

Patching S10 now, so hopefully it won't be a repeat of before.

update** : Yep. A repeat of before.