test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ships in the docking bay

gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
Taco, i know its not high priority, but when one of the Command or the Pilot ships will be on display in the dokong area of ESD?, i know you are with a lot of work with the space revamp (we love you for that), but the last one there is the Pathfinder, (proud owner the moment of release) and no update on the newer ships... like the new Galaxy, like it was a few years back :D

Anyway, i hope you can take a look at that if you can, its no biggie, it was just a great view, and i think it will boost some sales!

Thanks again!
The forces of darkness are upon us!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• narthaisnarthais Member Posts: 452 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Eh its not so bad, KDF shipyard hasn't had an update since the Mogh released and I'm pretty sure rommies don't even have a viewing window to look out and see recent ships, the flotilla could be used for that, but its not as far as I'm aware.
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited April 2015
    I don't understand the question?
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    tacofangs wrote: »
    I don't understand the question?

He wants you to swap models in spacedock on ESD.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • valianttomevalianttome Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    anazonda wrote: »
    He wants you to swap models in spacedock on ESD.

Im kind of surprised that one of the Command Ships arent in there right now.
  • variant37variant37 Member Posts: 867 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Im kind of surprised that one of the Command Ships arent in there right now.

Those ships are massive. I didn't actually realize how massive until a Constitution refit was parked next to my Presidio yesterday. Maybe they don't even fit in spacedock?
    edited April 2015
    variant37 wrote: »
    Those ships are massive. I didn't actually realize how massive until a Constitution refit was parked next to my Presidio yesterday. Maybe they don't even fit in spacedock?

Oh Im aware of how big they are. I may be mistaken but I could of sworn Ive seen a Ody in the Docking Bay at some point. If my memory serves me well. So if an Ody can sit comfortably in there than a Command Ship should as well.
    edited April 2015
    I've never really understood the point of Earth Spacedock anyway. Why do you need an interior starship parking lot? Whenever you see a ship actually being refitted or under repair it's in one of the exterior drydocks, not actually inside of spacedock itself.
  • greyhame3greyhame3 Member Posts: 914 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I've never really understood the point of Earth Spacedock anyway. Why do you need an interior starship parking lot? Whenever you see a ship actually being refitted or under repair it's in one of the exterior drydocks, not actually inside of spacedock itself.
    And, as shown in Star Trek 4, traps your fleet inside if something happens to the power. (Yes I know, no ships were leaving either).

Interestingly, the Galaxy class was never meant to fit into a spacedock like structure but they ended up doing it so they could reuse some Star Trek 3 material instead of creating a new, external, docking port.
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Juas add the Utopia Planita (sp?) Map to the game.. make us go there for... I dunno... crafting and stuff and dump it outside the window.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Maybe these large scale models are no longer seen as an effective form of advertisement for the the product when one considers the presumed cost in producing them <ship dev time>?
  • oldkhemaraaoldkhemaraa Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Process: Check model.. can model make it through the doors of ESD.. if NOT don't put the model in there.

The command and intell ships should all be able to fit.. They are not the largest of the fed models.

And frankly either ESD is still a little undersized, or the models are still a little over sized.

Bit really, I do agree with thinking ships should be shuffled around the ESD interior on a regular basis, same with the view from the Qo'nos yards. Including the occasional slow majestic animated evolution of ships leaving ESD (*with announcements over ESD intercom)

I thought the external gantry's in the JJ verse orbital base were pretty cool.. I'd love some ship manuvering mini games around esd and qo'nos just for the immersion value.
    "I aim to misbehave" - Malcolm Reynolds
    edited April 2015
    greyhame3 wrote: »
    And, as shown in Star Trek 4, traps your fleet inside if something happens to the power. (Yes I know, no ships were leaving either).

Yes...ST4 showed some glaring weaknesses in ESD. Lose power and you can't open the doors, so the ships inside are trapped. I'm also assuming that ship moorings are some sort of tractor beam, so lose power to the moorings and now all the ships are freely floating inside of ESD and likely to crash into each other or the interior walls.
    edited April 2015
    Process: Check model.. can model make it through the doors of ESD.. if NOT don't put the model in there.

The command and intell ships should all be able to fit.. They are not the largest of the fed models.

And frankly either ESD is still a little undersized, or the models are still a little over sized.

Bit really, I do agree with thinking ships should be shuffled around the ESD interior on a regular basis, same with the view from the Qo'nos yards. Including the occasional slow majestic animated evolution of ships leaving ESD (*with announcements over ESD intercom)

I thought the external gantry's in the JJ verse orbital base were pretty cool.. I'd love some ship manuvering mini games around esd and qo'nos just for the immersion value.
    It's not just make it through the door, but if there enough room for the ship to turn with the center area in the docking bay.
    edited April 2015
    greyhame3 wrote: »
    It's not just make it through the door, but if there enough room for the ship to turn with the center area in the docking bay.

There should be plenty of room for them to turn. The ships that come to mind that would not fit are non-Fed to begin with. The Scim and Sheshar.

Obviously if a Ody and Command Ship are in the Bay thats going to leave less room for other ships so the Docking Bay may have less ships at that given time.

I think the real issue is that the Docking Bay itself (in game) is only so big. So when you pack in a Ship thats scaled up to what would be seen as its actual size compared to your character. The Docking Bay cant fit things like the Command and Odyssey. As their scaled up versions are just too large for the limited space.
  • spyralpegacyonspyralpegacyon Member Posts: 408 Arc User
    edited April 2015

Better lighting and a more controlled environment, I would think off-hand.
    tumblr_n1hmq4Xl7S1rzu2xzo2_400.gif
  • drreverenddrreverend Member Posts: 459 Arc User
    edited April 2015

And despite their relative tininess to other ships, Constitutions aren't exactly small. They're the size of WWII aircraft carriers. Go out to the Intrepid in New York City. That's how big a Constitution-class is.
    edited April 2015
    There should be plenty of room for them to turn. The ships that come to mind that would not fit are non-Fed to begin with. The Scim and Sheshar.

Obviously if a Ody and Command Ship are in the Bay thats going to leave less room for other ships so the Docking Bay may have less ships at that given time.

I think the real issue is that the Docking Bay itself (in game) is only so big. So when you pack in a Ship thats scaled up to what would be seen as its actual size compared to your character. The Docking Bay cant fit things like the Command and Odyssey. As their scaled up versions are just too large for the limited space.
    I actually think the Sovereign is a bit too long to do it. Or one of it's variants, with the Sovereign barely fitting.. Based on Tacofang's post during the ESD revamp.

I'd need to find the post though.
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited April 2015
    So, yeah, we could have swapped out the models, but I think we were just a bit busy at the time. It's a little late to swap for the Command ships at this point.

We will continue to move ships around and add new ones in the future. But we probably won't do that with EVERY ship released.

As for what will fit in the docking bay, I said when I revamped ESD that my intention is to only put ships inside the bay that would actually fit.

The Odyssey would fit in the bay itself, but couldn't make it through the doors (if I remember correctly). There was another ship, which would fit in the bay, and would fit through the doors, but was so long that it couldn't reasonably make the turn to get in, so it was left out.

I can't guarantee that will be the case in the future. Showing off the new shiny does trump my personal beliefs, but with the exterior ships circling, we don't always have to put things inside the bay to show them off.

The command and intell ships should all be able to fit..

The Scryer and Phantom were (or perhaps still are?) in there. The Eclipse is nearly as long as the Odyssey, and I don't think it would fit. Can't remember if I tried or not.

I don't know about the command ships, I haven't made ground scale versions of them yet.

How so?
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    edited April 2015
    I'd like to suggest a workaround that may have been implimented before it got swapped. Adding outside traffic. Like how you sometimes see a Guardian and a D'kyr flying around outside? There used to be an Odyssey that flew around out there. Maybe for larger ships you want to show off, you can have them fly around outside the station like the Guardian and D'kyr.

And in a similar vein... maybe add the Mat'ha to the Qo'nos Shipyards. As for the Romulans... hm... only place I can think of to show off new ships would be the Flotilla.

Just making some suggestions for you Taco. Hope they help spawn some ideas. :D
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • medalionemissarymedalionemissary Member Posts: 612 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    You guys don't release a new Major Fed ship often, compared to Alien ships

Would be nice to see a fresher view of ships in there, even if some are variants of popular styles
    Deep Space Nine in HD, make it so!
  • stf65stf65 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    You guys don't release a new Major Fed ship often, compared to Alien ships
    they put out 4 lockboxes a year. Do you know how many fed ships get put out a year? there was 5 in the delta pack alone.
  • tyriniussstyriniusss Member Posts: 317 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    As for what will fit in the docking bay, I said when I revamped ESD that my intention is to only put ships inside the bay that would actually fit.

The Odyssey would fit in the bay itself, but couldn't make it through the doors (if I remember correctly). There was another ship, which would fit in the bay, and would fit through the doors, but was so long that it couldn't reasonably make the turn to get in, so it was left out.

I love that sense for detail!
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    "Uneasy Allies" finally shows our own ships on a ground map (in the cutscene on Sela's ship). Any chance that feature will ever make its way to spots like ESD?
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    edited April 2015
    Probably not. Too many people present. Who would get their ship displayed? The instance system won't allow for everyone to see their own ship in the same instance.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    warpangel wrote: »
    "Uneasy Allies" finally shows our own ships on a ground map (in the cutscene on Sela's ship). Any chance that feature will ever make its way to spots like ESD?

If we get our own player home on ESD eventually, maybe.

It'd probably just be on a console screen that would probably let us check in with the crew (just another means of accessing crew Doffing assignments).

And would just show our ship in a static shipyard (probably the large one you can actually fly into, even if the ship is too small, such as a Defiant).

As far as scaling goes though, it was already mentioned by other Devs that ships and shuttles aren't to scale. The small ones are scaled up to be visible enough in detail, and the large ones are shrunk down enough to give a general estimate of their size without causing too much of a huge collision box (Sheshar and Scimitar notably being the biggest and sometimes inconvenient traffic-blocking ships). And places like ESD aren't 100% to scale either, IIRC.

Otherwise, we'd be able to do trench runs along the side of an Odyssey, Bortasqu, Eclipse, JHDC, or Sheshar in a shuttle.
  • zulisvelzulisvel Member Posts: 518 Arc User
    edited April 2015

Holy TRIBBLE, you're right! I just parked my command cruiser (a kitbash with the Concorde lower hull, which is the shortest of all three options, and Concorde Saucer) next to an Oddyssey by ESD and it's looks slightly bigger. Then a Maranda warped in next to us. I never thought of the CBCs being simply that big until now.
    The Eclipse is nearly as long as the Odyssey, and I don't think it would fit. Can't remember if I tried or not.

I never realized the default design was that long. :eek:
    Otherwise, we'd be able to do trench runs along the side of an Odyssey, Bortasqu, Eclipse, JHDC, or Sheshar in a shuttle.

I'd play a shuttle mission based on that.
  • rgzarcherrgzarcher Member Posts: 320 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Just a thought here, what if there were premade layouts for ESD's hanger that were swapped out from time to time? Like say there were six random combinations and once every other month they were rotated?

Could even have the community get in on it, for ESD and the Klingon shipyard for preset layouts that would be rotated, which ships people like to see and which ones aren't really popular. Would LOVE to see a Galaxy X in that center view just once for a screenshot ^^

If ya'll had a larger staff it would be easier to change out, I understand that, but having presets would be a nice shortcut.

It would help add a sense of time passing, not just seeing new ships added but ships coming and going you know?
    "Why all the sales"?

And a merry freaking Christmas to you too, Ebenezer.
    -jonsills, 'Cryptic Why the sales..instead of Fixing XP leveling and this game?'
  • driveclubfandriveclubfan Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'd have felt better to see the Intrepid parked inside Spacedock instead of Pathfinder.

Heck I'd prefer to see canon ships in the first place displayed, like Defiant, Sovereign, Excelsior, Galaxy.

Why they put Pathfinder instead of Intrepid's beyond me :/
    I don't think there are many people who like it more than the original model, if any.
  • jheinigjheinig Member Posts: 364 Cryptic Developer
    edited April 2015
    warpangel wrote: »

I'm surprised anyone noticed this. It was total hackery on my part and the only way it worked is because it was in a cutscene where I could isolate the player watching it and force the camera in a specific way.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    jheinig wrote: »
    I'm surprised anyone noticed this. It was total hackery on my part and the only way it worked is because it was in a cutscene where I could isolate the player watching it and force the camera in a specific way.

I noticed it, and thought it was quite awesome. I hope to see more hackery like this in the future.

I knew from past dev communications whatever you did to get it to work wasn't trivial, so I would like to go ahead and say good job for pulling it off.
    ExtxpTp.jpg