What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Account Server Login Issues

Comments

• Options
    shadowfirefly00shadowfirefly00 Member Posts: 1,026 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    A bug that caused major FPS issues went live with Season 10 and wasn't discovered until Friday. We have a fix that's already on tribble and will go live this week.

We did some profiling on our heavier maps and discovered that some player powers are incredibly expensive on our gameservers. It will take some time to identify them all and rebuild them in a way where they are functionally identical to you, but far less expensive for the gameservers. This is a change that will take time but will trickle out as we identify the offending powers and make fixes.
    Now, to give folks an idea of how much effort is entailed in such identification and resolution, consider the not-so-little scheme enacted by the Clown Prince of Crime (played very well by Jack Nicholson) over in Batman: the tainting of diverse brands of products, with the adulterants proving lethal only in certain combinations. Recall, if you will, how much legwork the authorities were undertaking (off-camera) in an attempt to identify these.

And speaking of Cogent, I still wonder if L3C's customers can sue them for what is, in effect, malicious interference. Quite aside from the whole thing making Cogent look like chumps.
  • Options
    alexsanderitaalexsanderita Member Posts: 214 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Always had login issues with this game since I remember (I started playing from free2play) but by some seasons things are getting worse.

My trace to patchserver.crypticstudios.com [208.95.185.41] over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 2 ms 3 ms 2 ms 192.168.0.1
    2 21 ms 23 ms 23 ms static-213-205-0-75.clienti.tiscali.it [213.205.0.75]
    3 22 ms 21 ms 22 ms static-213-205-12-97.clienti.tiscali.it [213.205.12.97]
    4 22 ms 22 ms 22 ms static-213-205-13-85.clienti.tiscali.it [213.205.13.85]
    5 22 ms 21 ms 22 ms ge-2-1-0-300.cag20.ip.tiscali.it [213.205.1.77]
    6 41 ms 41 ms 37 ms static-94-32-135-181.clienti.tiscali.it [94.32.135.181]
    7 62 ms 38 ms 36 ms ae3-300.trn30.ip4.gtt.net [77.67.82.229]
    8 141 ms 165 ms 140 ms xe-3-0-0.bos10.ip4.gtt.net [141.136.109.138]
    9 151 ms 151 ms 149 ms internap-gw.ip4.gtt.net [77.67.77.54]
    10 140 ms 140 ms 142 ms border11.te8-1-bbnet2.bsn.pnap.net [63.251.128.104]
    11 148 ms 142 ms 142 ms perfectworldent-4.border11.bsn.pnap.net [216.52.61.78]
    12 138 ms 139 ms 140 ms patchserverrebirth.crypticstudios.com [208.95.185.41]

(had to translate text in english because my computer speaks Italian)

IP is 82.84.208.138
    I still dream from time to time about using the Gateway to doff off-game in spare minutes as we were told
  • Options
    nandospcnandospc Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    And again, another patch and another lag story, now even sector space and patrols (SOLO) are lagging :(:(:( c'mon guys
  • Options
    intrepid31intrepid31 Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Hey gang look at all the things Cryptic fixed in the game and the stuff they know that needs to be fixed.

General:
    • Resolved an issue which caused some items to be missing from the following locations:
    o Account Bank
    o Fleet Bank
    o Mail
    o Exchange
    o Items which were missing from these locations should now be accessible.
    • Foundry missions can now be played.
    o Foundry Edit and Foundry Review are still not available.
    o Some published Foundry missions located in the Beta Quadrant are currently not available.
    • Resolved an issue which caused some items which activate Duty Officer missions or tasks such as the Temporal Beacons and the Lore Datachips to not function.
    • Resolved an issue with loadouts where sometimes when a loadout was applied, the powertray would reset instead of loading the correct saved powertray.
    • Resolved an issue which was causing players who purchased the Intrepid Bundle to not receive the Fleet Module discount when attempting to purchase the T6 Fleet Long Range Science Vessel.
    • Resolved an issue that should make an improvement to the lag and drop in FPS some players are experiencing.

• Added appropriate data to Kemocite-Laced Weaponry, Subspace Vortex, and Structural Integrity Collapse to support interactions with effects such as Reciprocity and other cooldown reduction triggers.
    • Subspace Kemocite Deployment:
    o Resolved issues with Subspace Vortex which were causing its power icon to appear to be available for use when it wasn't, or vice versa.
    o Resolved an issue where the Vortex would fail to spawn if targeted at an enemy right at the edge of 10km distance.
    • Added new Iconian Ship death explosion animation.
    • Iconian ships have improved warp out animation.

Content:
    • Borg Red Alerts:
    o Reward packs are now automatically unpacked when received and function just like system patrol rewards such as in the Delta Quadrant.
    o The daily repeatable missions for these have been removed.
    o Added a 30 minute cooldown to each Borg Red Alert.
    o Each Borg Red Alert requires the Captain to be at least level 50 to enter.
    • “Blood of Ancients”
    o Resolved an issue which was causing the camera to shake in the first cutscene.
    o Added small amounts of VO and music which were missing.
    • “Delta Flight”
    o Resolved an issue where the Iaidon Dreadnought would not fight in stage 2 and 3 of the encounter with it.
    o Added small amounts of VO and music which were missing.
    o Closed up holes in the asteroid cave which occasionally could trap players or allies.
    • “Fluid Dynamics”
    o Resolved an issue which was causing KDF Captains to not be able to enter this episode.
    o Resolved an issue where allies would sometimes not help the players.
    • Resolved an issue that caused a newly created Romulan to sit in a black screen after choosing to skip the tutorial.
    o A contact window will now appear where the player can choose to warp to the Flotilla in order to continue the process of skipping the tutorial.
    • Updated the cutscene of the Romulan ship abduction at the end of "Cutting the Cord," in light of recent story revelations.
    • The Iconian is no longer missing from the ending cutscene of "Surface Tension."
    • Battle Group Omega location now has an object in Sector Space which represents it.
    • Resolved an issue with “Gateway to Gre’thor” where defeating the Dreadnought too quickly could stop progress in the mission.

Known Issues:
    • Foundry Edit and Foundry Review are not available.
    o Also, some published missions in the Beta Quadrant cannot be accessed.
    • The Radiant Antiproton Pulsewave Assault Weapon is missing audio effects.
    • Occasionally, when accepting a new Episode, the sub tasks under the episode name will not initially appear in the mission tracker.
    o In order to make these appear, the player can open the journal and either clear or make the episode the primary mission or transfer maps.
    • KDF players do not appear in the scoreboard at the end of a PVP match.

This is all great, BUT WHAT ABOUT THE DIRECT3D AND GRAPHCIS ISSUES THAT HAVE BEEN GOING ON FOR THE LAST SERVERAL WEEKS!!! LIKE THIS ONE THAT WE ALL HAVE SEEN OVER AND OVER BEING POSTED IN THIS THREAD.

Fatal Error: Direct3D driver returned error code
    (DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED) while checking sync query.

Technical Details: Sync query 1 0xf5ce380 GetData = = 0x887a0005 0 NF
    D3D11 Device removed due to DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG 0x887a0006

When are you going to fix this? Don't tell us its our systems; we have uninstalled and reinstalled our graphics drivers and sofware, the game and try all the little tricks that you have suggested.
    As players we have done all that you have asked. Some players have gone out of their way to help others fix the problem that you created. It is now time for you to quit placing the blame on others and their system and fix the issue that your team created. Crack the whip on your team get it fixed and if they cant get it done then maybe you need to find someone to fill their seat that can get the job done.
  • Options
    arthour07arthour07 Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    IT'd be nice if they at least put it under known issues :(
    I like shooting tings in mah flyfly space boat <3
  • Options
    rikwesselsrikwessels Member Posts: 367 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    the Deferi map still crashes for just about everyone ( for many,many folks at any rate ) .In addition folks are seeing crash to desktop when switching characters . That indicates it might be a code-flaw in loading maps .

It has been weeks now these bugs persist and it's not even listed as a known issue ( not anymore,anyway ).Did they give up on it ?
  • Options
    rekeebrekeeb Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    4 weeks. 3 successful logins, and NEVER for more than 10 minutes. Tried all the tips and tricks I found in various threads here.

2 things:
    1. Not everyone has NVIDIA graphics cards - so please stop repeating the same things in reference to NVIDIA cards.
    2. A lot of players can't even get to the select character screen - so any suggestions as to lowering the graphics or changes to settings IN GAME do us no good.

I very much appreciate all the effort the PLAYERS have gone to to try to fix this MAJOR issue that Cryptic seems to not want to acknowledge, much less resolve. If the players can't log in, then there goes your revenue stream.

Get it fixed.
    Fleet Battle Cruiser Presto
    T6 Tac Command Battlecruiser Roll The Bones
    Xindi Aquatic Narcine Dreadnaught Carrier Different Stages
    IVXX Senior Officer

• Options
    rancidmojorancidmojo Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    rekeeb wrote: »
    4 weeks. 3 successful logins, and NEVER for more than 10 minutes. Tried all the tips and tricks I found in various threads here.

2 things:
    1. Not everyone has NVIDIA graphics cards - so please stop repeating the same things in reference to NVIDIA cards.
    2. A lot of players can't even get to the select character screen - so any suggestions as to lowering the graphics or changes to settings IN GAME do us no good.

I very much appreciate all the effort the PLAYERS have gone to to try to fix this MAJOR issue that Cryptic seems to not want to acknowledge, much less resolve. If the players can't log in, then there goes your revenue stream.

Get it fixed.

The longer they take, the more I become disinterested in the game. I'm going to can my sub when it expires this month unless its fixed. I'm not paying for a game I can't even log into.
  • Options
    rikwesselsrikwessels Member Posts: 367 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    rancidmojo wrote: »
    The longer they take, the more I become disinterested in the game. I'm going to can my sub when it expires this month unless its fixed. I'm not paying for a game I can't even log into.

by looks of it , they're at risk of losing a lot of oldtimers ( and those are the folks who pretty much funded the entire game ) if this isn't fixed STAT

I'm noticing I'm rapidly losing interest as well ( and I have also invested heaps of cash in this game over the years ) . What's the point if you're sitting in front of your screen being annoyed ?

It's not te fact bugs are present , it's the way all those players are completely ignored ( apparently the advice one player got was to " take his PC to he shop to have it looked at "... even though we all know it's the game's code that's flawed )

And , while I applaud the effort , it's pretty outrageous players have to come up with fixes themselves
  • Options
    adjournonadjournon Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I am also suddenly unable to complete my connection and time out when trying to log on after downloading the most recent update. If lag is that bad maybe it is just all the new powers and their ensuing visuals; you're making them too pretty for their own good... but honestly, I have been noticing a glut of new stuff recently, and with it comes similar issues, too many new things for players to use that may or may not be broken or are resource hogs, it's a mess. When a player asks for new content, they usually mean they want more stories and not new toys that do things seen before, but now different. While it might not be time to clean out the attic and garage, you might want to turn off the home shopping network before you wind up on an episode of hoarders.

STO Forum member since 2008, player since 2012 - funny story that
  • Options
    tarran61tarran61 Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Sadly my disconnects and log in problems are still happening daily, Im not a happy Paid/Paying customer now who is still buying from you. Im starting to ask why. I have never ever paid so much for a game that tries it best to not allow me to enjoy it.

I do hope this is the first and last angry post I ever make. i support you guys by what I did and do, I need to feel you support me.

Tarran61 :(
    Positive thoughts.
    NeAC.gif
  • Options
    fleabiscuitfleabiscuit Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    http://www.internethealthreport.com/Main.aspx?Metric=PL

packet loss on their network, getting to
    patchserver.crypticstudios.com

:eek:
  • Options
    rancidmojorancidmojo Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    rikwessels wrote: »
    by looks of it , they're at risk of losing a lot of oldtimers ( and those are the folks who pretty much funded the entire game ) if this isn't fixed STAT

I'm noticing I'm rapidly losing interest as well ( and I have also invested heaps of cash in this game over the years ) . What's the point if you're sitting in front of your screen being annoyed ?

It's not te fact bugs are present , it's the way all those players are completely ignored ( apparently the advice one player got was to " take his PC to he shop to have it looked at "... even though we all know it's the game's code that's flawed )

And , while I applaud the effort , it's pretty outrageous players have to come up with fixes themselves

I tried some of the fixes myself when this began. I decided to NOT do that anymore since it didn't work and I've said earlier in the thread every other MMO game installed works perfectly on my machine. (SWTOR, Secret World, EVE).

Trk isn't on TV anymore, so losing "old timers" seems like a bad idea. With the new Star Wars movie in the works maybe they just don't care anymore. Either way if I can't log on before the end of my sub, I'm going to end the sub. This isn't a ragequit thing. This isn't my first account with STO. (I played in Open Beta and so on off and on). I always ended up being disappointed by something in the game and going elsewhere. But with other gaming options now I don't know if I'll come back. The frustration isn't worth it.
  • Options
    jamesstjamesjamesstjames Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    rikwessels wrote: »

Yeah. I don't usually mind - ad last time just got tired of waiting and found a fix that works (though none have done the trick this tmie though).

It's just a little frustrating now to see more content, more updates, more patch notes, have a weekend off work and still waiting.... and no mention of it on the dev notes. Which is a little ridiculous.

The positive is that I can at least log in on safe mod - I just can't do much other than walk or fly in circles. Looks like the Delta Recruit thing was awaste of time so far as there's no chance I'll be able to finish it.
    tumblr_meud0dq0CT1rq8ga2o1_250.gif
  • Options
    llunamariallunamaria Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    hi,yesterday a drammatic lag problem...2 hours to finish une mission,today infinite server not responding(in this moment i am at 94.30% in loading page but have 251s of SNR.) tomorrow??
    I'm afraid , just the thought of what might be the issue that I will propose tomorrow is destabilizing.
    Today is a holiday, the people are at home , and would like to maybe spend a few hours to play and have fun , instead stresses in long lines , in blocks lag assurdi.vediamo to do a little something quickly , perhaps to give us a way to play in peace and Saturday and Sunday .
    thanks
  • Options
    ozy83ozy83 Member Posts: 156 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Not sure what was done, but the last two days I've been able to play with practically no lag. This is the first time in weeks. Thankyou, whoever it was <3:)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lag Watch:
    Delta Rising: Warning
    Anniversary Event: Severe
    Iconian Season: Critical
  • Options
    rothusrothus Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    It was working for a couple days, back to 'login2 Timeout', connect to then SnR and 'Disconnect from server', and 'connection to account server timed out', I Do enjoy the game, its one of few F2P MMO's that don't handicap you if you don't spend money on it like SWTOR, (which is almost piece for piece copy of WoW)
  • Options
    kaptain90kaptain90 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    ozy83 wrote: »
    Not sure what was done, but the last two days I've been able to play with practically no lag. This is the first time in weeks. Thankyou, whoever it was <3:)

exactly the opposite here. since downloading i had no issues logging on or getting kicked off or anything else until today. extremely upset!
  • Options
    threeamthreeam Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Having login issues this morning as well, for the first time.

It either gets to the character select screen, but my characters never fully load, and I get kicked back to the sign in screen, or I can select a character and after pressing play, the loading screen gets to 94-97% loaded, stalls, then disconnects and drops me back to the login screen.
  • Options
    uranium23567uranium23567 Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    this really wouldn't be any big deal if you haven't BEEN HAVING THE PROBLEM ON AND OFF FOR THE PAST MONTH. By now you must have diagnosed it, and know whats wrong. There is no reason its STILL going on for this time
  • Options
    richardewirichardewi Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    intrepid31 wrote: »
    Hey gang look at all the things Cryptic fixed in the game and the stuff they know that needs to be fixed.

This is all great, BUT WHAT ABOUT THE DIRECT3D AND GRAPHCIS ISSUES THAT HAVE BEEN GOING ON FOR THE LAST SERVERAL WEEKS!!! LIKE THIS ONE THAT WE ALL HAVE SEEN OVER AND OVER BEING POSTED IN THIS THREAD.

Fatal Error: Direct3D driver returned error code
    (DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED) while checking sync query.

Technical Details: Sync query 1 0xf5ce380 GetData = = 0x887a0005 0 NF
    D3D11 Device removed due to DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG 0x887a0006

When are you going to fix this? Don't tell us its our systems; we have uninstalled and reinstalled our graphics drivers and sofware, the game and try all the little tricks that you have suggested.
    As players we have done all that you have asked. Some players have gone out of their way to help others fix the problem that you created. It is now time for you to quit placing the blame on others and their system and fix the issue that your team created. Crack the whip on your team get it fixed and if they cant get it done then maybe you need to find someone to fill their seat that can get the job done.

This is my stance exactly. I can safely say that prior to Delta Rising, I had no login issues. After that patch was uploaded, I've been getting this Direct3D driver error every since. I've submitted over 5 tickets about this issue, jumped through all the hoops they asked me to resolve this, and still...nothing.
    I think that after my current three months have expired, I will cancel my sub if I'm having the same issues three months from now. I'm tired of launching the game over eight times just to play it.
  • Options
    threeamthreeam Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Just as a heads up with the login issues, it's not just STO. I'm now having the same issues trying to login to Champions, as well.
  • Options
    vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    There are three large issues that are impacting performance right now, and they're all under investigation.

We're having some odd network issues, not including DDOS attacks, and you may have seen trendy collecting traces along with other information from players. This data is being passed off to our network engineers who are working to solve this issue.

A bug that caused major FPS issues went live with Season 10 and wasn't discovered until Friday. We have a fix that's already on tribble and will go live this week.

We did some profiling on our heavier maps and discovered that some player powers are incredibly expensive on our gameservers. It will take some time to identify them all and rebuild them in a way where they are functionally identical to you, but far less expensive for the gameservers. This is a change that will take time but will trickle out as we identify the offending powers and make fixes.

This is a pretty big deal to us and we have a fair amount of people across a wide array of disciplines working to get this resolved. I apologize for the inconvenience and my delay in posting something about it. Nothing nefarious about the delay, it's simply a busy time over here post release.

Salami,

Thank you for this, It's a comfort to hear that you all are looking into this.

Right now, in instances with one or more players, all using their powers, the game becomes truly unplayable due to all the lag. Something has to be done.
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• Options
    hatchetl4dhatchetl4d Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Still having the same problems after yesterdays patch. It was like yesterday after the patch it was fine and today itz back to "normal" again. :(

-DX11 crashes
    -FPS drops on some maps
    -Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    >tracert patchserver.crypticstudios.com

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms speedport.ip [192.168.2.1]
    2 20 ms 20 ms 20 ms 217.0.117.173
    3 26 ms 23 ms 23 ms 87.186.196.242
    4 143 ms 200 ms 166 ms 217.239.48.138
    5 23 ms 23 ms 23 ms ffm-b12-link.telia.net [213.248.103.169]
    6 24 ms 23 ms 24 ms ffm-bb1-link.telia.net [62.115.142.16]
    7 108 ms 151 ms 109 ms nyk-bb1-link.telia.net [80.91.250.203]
    8 113 ms 113 ms 114 ms bost-b1-link.telia.net [80.91.246.125]
    9 118 ms 116 ms 116 ms internap-ic-304640-bost-b1.c.telia.net [62.115.38.110]
    10 114 ms * 114 ms border11.te7-1-bbnet1.bsn.pnap.net [63.251.128.41]
    11 118 ms 124 ms 125 ms perfectworldent-4.border11.bsn.pnap.net [216.52.61.78]
    12 112 ms 113 ms 114 ms xboxpatchserver.crypticstudios.com [208.95.185.41]

STO is the only application that has such a massive lag, it's becoming unplayable.

Just tried to do some single player patrol missions, but even that is simply not playable anymore.
    Hopefully the devs find soon a sollution for this, i can waste my time with things that are more fun... :mad:
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    mrsinister82mrsinister82 Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    [QUOTE

STO is the only application that has such a massive lag, it's becoming unplayable.

Just tried to do some single player patrol missions, but even that is simply not playable anymore.
    Hopefully the devs find soon a sollution for this, i can waste my time with things that are more fun... :mad:[/QUOTE]

Agreed, STO is the only game i have also that has such unplayable lag.

And I play DayZ......................

For one....

Thats it for me, until they fix this mess they have created, im out.

There is no excuse for it there really isnt, money grabbing cheapskates with their server's.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Stand corrected, ever since last night I've been constantly booted by the server every 2-3 minutes without fail. Irritated doesnt even begin to cover it.

Seriously... What is wrong with the infrastructure for this game?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lag Watch:
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Again, tried to play this three times. In all instances major lag. One time it froze so badly during combat the game crashed.

This is serious Cryptic. Like... Not a minor bug that you can overlook, but completely game breaking. What the hell are you doing that's of such high importance that this still hasn't been fixed yet?! This has been getting progressively worse since delta rising, for crying out loud.

Yes, I am well aware its not affecting everyone, but that should not matter. A good proportion of us are being affected by this that renders your entire product useless. You're quick enough to accept payment for zen from us though? So don't skimp on servers that are capable of bearing the load. I mean Christ on a crutch, Cryptic. You're supposed to be a professional company with over FIVE years of MMO experience. You think the folks over at Eve Online would let this issue progress for weeks? Guild Wars? World of ********?

Seriously. Get it together before a few of us decide not to return.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lag Watch:
  • Options
    karr007karr007 Member Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Again, tried to play this three times. In all instances major lag. One time it froze so badly during combat the game crashed.

This is serious Cryptic. Like... Not a minor bug that you can overlook, but completely game breaking. What the hell are you doing that's of such high importance that this still hasn't been fixed yet?! This has been getting progressively worse since delta rising, for crying out loud.

Yes, I am well aware its not affecting everyone, but that should not matter. A good proportion of us are being affected by this that renders your entire product useless. You're quick enough to accept payment for zen from us though? So don't skimp on servers that are capable of bearing the load. I mean Christ on a crutch, Cryptic. You're supposed to be a professional company with over FIVE years of MMO experience. You think the folks over at Eve Online would let this issue progress for weeks? Guild Wars? World of ********?

There are so many broken things, that they can barely fix anything. On the dps channels there are constant complains of major lag in a lot of PVE events. I too suffer from them. It is obvious that the dev team is more ignorant than ever.
  • Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited May 2015

Although i wouldn't say it that way, i must fully agree.

It's not only a Login issue, the game virutally becomes unplayable at certain times.

Lol, i just got something new:

"Login2timeout"

Seriousloy devs this has to stop, it's not even funny anymore.
    Instead of migrating the forums and introduce patches and changes no one wants or needs, make the game playable again!
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)