test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Your smartphone: soon to be a tricorder?

steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
edited April 2015 in Ten Forward
How your smartphone could become a ‘Star Trek’–style Tricorder

They're looking at June for the prototype to be revealed. Wow, just...wow.

Clearly this is a scanner mode. Someone please remind me again what the "tri" in tricorder covers? I'm wondering what the other two functions are considered to be, and if we'll soon have those as well.
Post edited by steamwright on

Comments

• Options
    whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    How your smartphone could become a ‘Star Trek’–style Tricorder

They're looking at June for the prototype to be revealed. Wow, just...wow.

Clearly this is a scanner mode. Someone please remind me again what the "tri" in tricorder covers? I'm wondering what the other two functions are considered to be, and if we'll soon have those as well.

I believe the functions were medical (biological), geological, and energy/radiation.

They can keep it thought. Its bad enough I havea smartphone that can be TRIBBLE, last thing I want is for it to be scanning me and everything around me.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited April 2015

According to wiki, the tricorder is a TRI-function reCORDER. The tri is for sensing, computing, and recording. So there are a bunch of scientific equipment that are tricorders according to its initial definition, but a true tricorder must be portable and capable of multiple scientific tests.