test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

On Nog and artificial limbs

steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
edited March 2015 in Ten Forward
In TNG, Worf had his spine replaced (no "lacking backbone" jokes please).

In DS9, Nog had a leg replaced.

Both were organic and grown, "synthetic" I believe was the word used about Nog's limb.

I got thinking about that today while on contract in a regional hospital (You can imagine my train of thought). In the late 70's/early 80's a reboot of the Tom Swifty books came out for my generation of readers. One of the new characters was Anita, a lady whose leg had been replaced with a cybernetic one that, as best I can recall, was permanently attached, and was shaped and performed like a standard human limb, just with a synthetic surface. Thing is, it wasn't just a machine, it was a computer, and it was linked to Anita's mind, drastically enhancing her cognitive abilities.

So assuming the cybernetic limb could do all the motor skills of a real limb, which, in your opinion would be the better rebound from a loss? Would you want the comfort of a replacement that was practically indistinguishable from the original, or would you opt for something that functioned just like the original, but was clearly a computer, and enhanced your mental abilities as well (processing power, always-on internet and information services, etc.)?
Post edited by steamwright on

Comments

• Options
    grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    If there was no difference other than visual, is go the natural grown one. But if it enhances your other abilities, I'd go robotic. I have no problem looking like a cyborg if it means I could punt those who mock me into orbit.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • Options
    eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    However, if you look at Nog's recovery process, it was a very emotional one for him and I bet even after receiving the new limb, the ghost limb effect and the mental anguish would still creep up on him. Yet, I would take a "grown" limb rather than the robotic due to thinking that the recovery would be easier, mentally and physically.
  • Options
    deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    eldarion79 wrote: »
    However, if you look at Nog's recovery process, it was a very emotional one for him and I bet even after receiving the new limb, the ghost limb effect and the mental anguish would still creep up on him. Yet, I would take a "grown" limb rather than the robotic due to thinking that the recovery would be easier, mentally and physically.

there you go...

seeing your limb blown off, then a new one looking exactly the same... can mess with your mind. I don't know there... this is actually a new field of study right now.
  • Options
    xigbargxigbarg Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Computer limbs sounds like something you could use to muli-personality and brainwashing plots.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    qziqzaqziqza Member Posts: 1,044 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    on the subject of artificial limbs and the potential to not only replace but improve upon, you may find this ted talk interesting..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDsNZJTWw0w

regards
    tYld1gu.gif?1
    TOS style icons used with the kind permission of irvinis.deviantart.com ©2013-2015
  • Options
    lindalefflindaleff Member Posts: 3,734 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Star Trek had all sorts of limp replacements. And that is exactly WHY we have such things today. There are teams of scientists working specifically to bring everything in Star Trek into reality. That is why you have cell phones, laptop computers, voice-activated computers, and the beginnings of hologram technology. Thanks to Star Trek, we will have organic replacements for lost limbs and organs perfected within a few decades.
    I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
    My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
    Click here to view my DeviantArt.
  • Options
    steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited March 2015
    xigbarg wrote: »
    Computer limbs sounds like something you could use to muli-personality and brainwashing plots.

I could see that, though I tend to look at it from a story standpoint of having a hardwired connection to worldwide information...something less sinister. Or if you want it self-contained, and therefore hacker-proof (mostly), it would encase a system with a phenomenal amount of processing power and a hard drive with a substantial amount of data on it. That and possibly even a Cortana-like A.I. with which to interact.
  • Options
    lilchibiclarililchibiclari Member Posts: 1,193 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    One issue with a cybernetic replacement as opposed to an organic one is that the sensory feedback from it is not going to be the same. For a comparison, we have seen what Geordi's vision looks like through his VISOR, and while it does allow him to perceive high-resolution images in spectra above and beyond what humanoids are capable of sensing, the sensations from it are clearly different from organic eyesight, and the implants cause him headaches and other physical discomfort.