test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Delta Recruitment

Comments

• grnlbrtnfrntgrnlbrtnfrnt Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Making this a limited time event, and not a permanent thing, is a complete fail.

don't you see its BRILLIANT!!!!!!

Make people play old content again and call it an event.

They make you grind the entire game again for starship a trait you can get in command tree
    [SIGPIC]PWE IS NOT A REPUTABLE COMPANY[/SIGPIC]
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    knuhteb5 wrote: »
    I don't see anything in the blog that says our main characters will be made obsolete by delta rercruits. You can unlock an account-wide trait for all your characters if you level up a recruit so that benefits your alts as well. Am I missing the part where it says delta recruits will get exclusive perks and benefits that aren't account-wide unlocks?
    Some of the stuff Delta Recruits get will basically be.... gear or marks. Those seem to be about the same as any other source of gear or marks. but we don't know what those are. So yeah, the only known permanent perks are account wide.
    thay8472 wrote: »
    So delta recruits?

Can I play as an Undine? :D
    That idea is amusing.

But after re-reading the blog.... It looks like the story is to have a Starfleet cadet/etc... who gets drafted as a temporal agent of sorts, and basically deputized as a timecop. Which suggests it will likely be the races currently in game. But... maybe we'll get surprised...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • rickpaaarickpaaa Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Being an alt-a-holic has been very rough post Delta Rising. While I can't imagine doing yet another, I am relieved that Cryptic is making just one more alt enough to benefit from this event.
    giphy.gif
    Member since December 2009

• tostrek2012tostrek2012 Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Is War the only way that you can unite the factions? "...defend the Milky Way." What happen to (explore the Milky Way)? Space is a dangerous place, and I don't mean the limit of aggressive Space Alien (i.e., Iconian). How about we can get stuck in space and need help from other STO member or solve the problem ourselves, and the rescuers/we can receive the same amount of award/dilithium from missions like "the Borg," "the Klingon," "the Romulan," and etc. The possibilities are many. You may start to see Guilds like Federation Medical Fleet, Salvage Fleet, Rescue Fleet, Trade fleet, etc emerge from these possibilities. From the results, we can start to place less value on the tactical consoles. Other than Q, where are the other higher lifeforms of the galaxy? Finally, give us a "cease fire" button for the Federation when the target ship is "disabled."
  • drakethewhitedrakethewhite Member Posts: 1,240 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I'm going against the grain here and calling this a possibility interesting event depending upon what the account awards are.

But I'm coming off a high with Cryptic releasing the first ship since the Fleet Excelsior that I really like (the TAC Command Cruiser) as well as hitting Level 16 with the family Starbase (only 3 active players for its entire life). So I'm feeling upbeat.

While Specialty points and gear upgrading do kill alts, I've found two counter-balancing elements. The Dilithium cap and finishing a Primary and Secondary specialty (which seems to reduce the feeling that I'm wasting my time with alt). It's still balanced against alts, but maybe this event will tilt things in their favor for the seven weeks.

Or not. We'll know more in time.

My worse problem is coming up with something I want to run. What we need is something new to go with the event so that we don't feel like we're just rehashing what we've already done before. I have four alts since the game started, and couldn't make myself repeat everything on any of them.

Something with a different style or line of ships. Perhaps an Orion (or other member race) line of ships for the KDF, and a civilian line for the Federation that go from T1 to T5...
  • cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,524 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I don't hae any interest in creating more characters because there isn't a race and faction for what i want to play as. No independent Dominion faction with races for that faction and specific game content to level through doesn't offer up anything new. Extra XP when leveling doesn't change the fact that the content is the same, the playable races and factions are still the same, and... there are still reputations, grinds, more grinds, and grinds that I am already long burnt out of with my existing characters.
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
  • spikeguyverspikeguyver Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I find myself divided. I was already intending to create a new character in the future anyway, however I am in the tail end of a relatively new character's leveling already and I don't expect that character to be up to snuff by April 2, and potentially not before June. One of the things that's most exciting to me about this event is the minifaction's storyline that is supposed to be parallel to the main storyline. So my big question is this, will the Delta Recruit storyline still be available post event for characters made during the event? Ie, if I make a character during April when the event is going, but then ignore him/her until my current character is all geared out, will the Delta Recruitment story still be available to that character when I return to it mid-June into July?
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    War is coming, and recruits are needed for the fight! It's time to sign up to protect the galaxy from the Iconians. If the badge fits, wear it!

Report in for more information!

~LaughingTrendy

Oh, goody, just what Starfleet needs: Another huge pile of green, overranked, prematurely promoted midshipmen.

This is not a criticism of the event, it's a criticism of the ridiculous concept of giving permanent CO status to an officer who's about two days out of the service academy. Yes, before anyone asks, that goes for Star Trek '09, too.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • godimasgodimas Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    My alts are all still level 50. After reading the news post, im intrigued, but I have absolutely ZERO wish to go through all the silly grinding that im still doing with my main in order to get him all leveled and geared up.
    Going to wait and see what the account wide unlocks are. If they are any good, then yah. Ill put my main grind on pause and slog through leveling up another toon. I SO wish that your dil purse was account wide though. Because its going to but the TRIBBLE out of me that this new toon is generating resources that my main really needs
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    rickpaaa wrote: »
    Being an alt-a-holic has been very rough post Delta Rising. While I can't imagine doing yet another, I am relieved that Cryptic is making just one more alt enough to benefit from this event.

Try condensing your alt pool. Old STO end-game didn't have that much to it (see. casual action-MMO), you could quite easily "complete" a character which [I found] forced you to take up another one just to sustain a goal-oriented playstyle. Now we have more open ended DR goals and all those accumulated alts serve much less of a practical purpose (besides maxing out your dil income rate) because rather than starting up, say, a Reman Eng to invent something to play for can just work on a new primary or secondary specialization (and those will keep coming). You can even do that by playing through old missions on a "new" character, that just so happens to have Mk XIV equipment, a command battlecruiser, and a haircut totally different from your "old" character.

I've gone from 8 toons pre-DR to three (FED tac, KDF eng, and a ROM sci) and that works fantastically to rebalance effort, rewards, and content. Therefore the one complaint I have about this event is that now I have to break that nice profession/faction trinity but by April that'll probably be due as I'm soon to hit the post-DR "practically finished" equilibrium point for at least one of my existing characters.

And even if I find come May that "well, I still want only three toons to worry about. To oblivion with you, Delta Recruit!" this will have encouraged me to take a slightly different look at old content [which I've never ground on a daily basis], level with different content goals in mind (again, fresher outlook on an old game), and I will have finished with a new Starship trait (which my ROM and KDF are still in the market for.) And as of this moment there's no monetization scheme, unlike the seasonal events and their lobi shortcut.

Compared to what Cryptic is running now as a pre-season 10 holding pattern "event" I'll gladly take it.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    But that's where it gets tricky, because we know that it does do something for established accounts...

Like I posted in the PvP forums earlier in the day...

...they list the Temporal Insight trait - but will there be other things?

Basically, this toon - this disposable toon - that we'll be creating to pad their metrics, are we going to be doing so out of a feeling of need to get various goodies for the account?

This isn't like the Rep, R&D, Specialization stuff where we can say it will get done when it gets done. This isn't like an "Event' where it might take 5 minutes a day.

I'm curious and put off at the same time about just what grinding out this disposable toon is going to provide my actual guy.

Disposable toon...lol...I'll have to roll a red shirt.

edit: Course, as much as the whole thing is leaving me feeling like uninstalling...I still find myself wanting to make a joke about "If the badge fits.." and clipping of combadges with the breast slider. ;)

edit2: I'm just having a hard time not picturing this as some continuing Starship Troopers crossover. There's Bug Hunt, there's the trench warfare, a recruitment drive...

I actually just rewatched that movie yesterday, after having found it available on Netflix streaming.
    Weird...
    Still a really great movie though.

:cool:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • disposeableh3r0disposeableh3r0 Member Posts: 1,927 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Finally, I've been waiting years for my forum name to be topical.
    As a time traveller, Am I supposed to pack underwear or underwhen?

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abraham Lincoln

Occidere populo et effercio confractus
  • dessniperdessniper Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    daveyny wrote: »
    I actually just rewatched that movie yesterday, after having found it available on Netflix streaming.
    Weird...
    Still a really great movie though.

:cool:

Dont forget that both have Jolene Blalock too.

Our next C-Store ships can be the Rodger Young-Class Assault Transport. Elite Boarding Party Universal Console. This console grants Boarding Party a greater chance of success with using specially designed assault craft that are both fast and maneuverable with enhanced shields and armour that makes destroying them difficult.
  • rougen7rougen7 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    So it sounds to me like "Make a new character or you cannot participate in our new content". I'm sorry I play a character because that's my character.... not because it's one of my 300 characters that I may feel like populating at the time
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited March 2015
    Let me see -

1. They give you a free slot
    2. they offer you more dil, with bonuses account wide
    3. they offer a new view on 50+ hours of leveling content
    4. a free SHIP MASTERY TRAIT THATS USEFULL
    5. and bonus COMMUNITY WIDE XP bonuses for six of seven weeks

And this is bad HOW?
  • grnlbrtnfrntgrnlbrtnfrnt Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Let me see -

1. The give you a free slot
    2. they offer you more dil, with bonuses account wide
    3. they offer a new view on 50+ hours of leveling content
    4. a free accolade
    5. and bonus COMMUNITY WIDE XP bonuses for six of seven weeks

And this is bad HOW?

its bad because, they have to do all that as an event. maybe if they hadn't reduced all the XP in the first place they wouldn't have do all these bonus events? ohhh an accolade, let me make that my title. A new view on content I've done again and again, I guess I can just get a handle on how they've retconned their retcons. Dilithium is always cool. But if I don't want or need another character, what good is a free slot. If I wanted other characters chances are I ve already done that. or just created another accont.

Maybe the time would have been more well spent creating new content for EVERYONE.
    [SIGPIC]PWE IS NOT A REPUTABLE COMPANY[/SIGPIC]
  • diadochidiadochi Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Many posts have said about the positives of the new Delta Recruitment event, or about ways around to try to migrate the issue.

What those posters don't seem to get is that the problem is one of dev's creation. Thus the onus should be on the devs not creating the issue, rather than the players having to endure/fix/migrate the issue. It's back to front thinking on their part.

Anyhow at the core is the problem of choice, the devs have decided on this event, and players has no real choice. If a vote was called the devs would probably lose.

either create a new character or be punished

No amount of pro-dev talk is gonna make that issue go away, in the end we're getting a TRIBBLE dilemma. The community has been given no choice on the issue nor is the player. It's the age old MMO issue, each player can only complain, be quiet, or leave, there's no way for them to leave without leaving their creation behind.

no choice is good because?

Why cannot we just play our main and enjoy the new content and bonuses?
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited March 2015
    Sorry guys - just NOT seeing the fault here.

This is a decent promotion.

You can't lose with it.

Never look a gifted horse in the mouth?
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited March 2015

Maybe the time would have been more well spent creating new content for EVERYONE.

Such as through a featured episode re-run? Mirror invasion re-run? Elachii invasion re-run? We're in a pre-season 10 holding pattern and there's a lot cryptic could do to fill that time. Here's a minimal event but one that's fundamentally new and has a lot of different angles to it that, quite frankly, is great to see from them because its putting the focus on the greater bulk of playable content (ie. leveling) rather than a single repeatable assignment that we're expected to grind our brain out in the name of "fun."

Its hard to see where the drawback is of Delta Recruitment. If there's so little to it then its NOT coming at the expense of another update. If there's more, then its far better than the alternatives. However you choose to interpret it, there's something good to be had.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • disposeableh3r0disposeableh3r0 Member Posts: 1,927 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Sorry guys - just NOT seeing the fault here.

This is a decent promotion.

You can't lose with it.

Never look a gifted horse in the mouth?

To be fair, you should never look any horse in the mouth, they bite.
    As a time traveller, Am I supposed to pack underwear or underwhen?

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abraham Lincoln

Occidere populo et effercio confractus
  • ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Well, I, for one, am not happy about basically being forced to make a new character just to participate and eventually reap whatever benefits from this event. As I stated earlier in this thread, I'd be more receptive to it if it were made available for existing characters.

If that were the case, I'd be happy to replay the old missions... but I am leaning towards not making a new character just to give an XP buff for a few days, a few dil here and there, and some lame title.

They'll need to do more than that if they want me to be more of a metric slave than I am currently.
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
  • craig76craig76 Member Posts: 775 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    where did it say "free slot"?? I didnt see it written anywhere

Why not just give this so called event to all players? Would be a more logical way of doing it, since some people have no slots left. And if they dont give it to all players, then most will miss out.

I did suggest to the team a while back they implement a double xp token for alts, like they do with reps. Make it alt friendly again. Wouldnt surprise me if thats where this came from. :)

I think some of us could see this coming, something to entice new toons or players, or both, when DR was released. Someone said " This is for newly created toons or new players now, Its easier to get to lvl 60 from lvl 1 when u havent done the story arc, than it is from 50 to 60 if u have already done the story arc. "
    And they are right.
    I believe God created the universe, because he knew we wanted to explore. So, he made us a playground...
    planet-space-sun.jpg
  • ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    craig76 wrote: »
    where did it say "free slot"?? I didnt see it written anywhere

Why not just give this so called event to all players? Would be a more logical way of doing it, since some people have no slots left. And if they dont give it to all players, then most will miss out.

I did suggest to the team a while back they implement a double xp token for alts, like they do with reps. Make it alt friendly again. Wouldnt surprise me if thats where this came from. :)

Basically the last sentence of the News post.
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
  • garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    some time ago i had a suggestion

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1274591

eps mission rewards could be epic ,scale with level and usefull for pvps. :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    /yawn

No thanks... I already have enough to do on my main and my current alt. Not wasting time on another new character.

Would rather see bug fixes.
  • valenn1valenn1 Member Posts: 842 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I actually like the idea it's a decent promotion, and sorry, i cannot see how old chars are "punished".
    a) it seems they benefit from the unlocks archieved by delta recruits
    b) free charslot !!!
    c) account wide unlock of stuff (at least a [usefull] starship trait)
    d) the bonus for delta recruits will go away after the event

Suggestions:
    As in the other Tread mentioned several Times: KDF Ferengi please! (if possible)
    Beta, LTA, CE, Multiple preorder Versions, all Addon Packs except AoY, nearly all KDF/Rom and ~50% of all Fedships, over 25 LockboxShips, Endurer of Atari's "Year of Hell", but...
    unfortunately:

NOT LOYAL ENOUGH!!!
    edited March 2015
    Basically the last sentence of the News post.

i missed it then, stopped reading it at second last paragraph lol. But, i saw it now :)

But still, should be made for all toons/players, not just new ones, bit biased i think
    I believe God created the universe, because he knew we wanted to explore. So, he made us a playground...
    planet-space-sun.jpg
    edited March 2015
    Well, I, for one, am not happy about basically being forced to make a new character just to participate and eventually reap whatever benefits from this event. As I stated earlier in this thread, I'd be more receptive to it if it were made available for existing characters.

If that were the case, I'd be happy to replay the old missions... but I am leaning towards not making a new character just to give an XP buff for a few days, a few dil here and there, and some lame title.

They'll need to do more than that if they want me to be more of a metric slave than I am currently.

This ++++++
    planet-space-sun.jpg