test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Delta Recruitment

Comments

• wilvwilv Member Posts: 390 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Release Ocampa and Kazon as playable species. That's the only way I would bother on making a new alt.
  • whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    reyan01 wrote: »
    This. As I said in an earlier post, playable Ocampa would definitely convince me to roll another character.

Wouldnt an Ocampa be dead by level 40? :p
  • lessley00lessley00 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    This event looks great, I should exploit it by creating a kdf and a rom alt while the free one can go to a fed. This looks like fun and I cant wait to see how it turns out, though try and get better rewards for Temporal Ambassador during this event so that I have an excuse to play it. Not that im complaining, but we're having THIS instead of first contact day?
    Captain Joseph Riker, U.S.S. Odyssey==General V'Mar, U.S.S. Blackwater-A==Admiral Laura Holmes, U.S.S. Forward Unto Dawn
    Grand Master Thotok, son of Koloth, I.K.S. Sompek==Dahar Master Shanara, I.K.S. Balth'Quv

Admiral R'Tath V'Tirex, R.R.W. Dhael Glohha'enh==Commander Ta'eth Korval, R.R.W Hachae ch'Rhian==Admiral Vranuk, R.R.W Delevhas
    edited March 2015
    I am somewhat concerned by this new event. They are placing "New Recruits" over previous characters? Whats the incentive of being a veteran/long term character in this game now? I am not asking for "moar free stuffs", but seriously. Giving a new character an advantage that older characters can earn themselves? Is Cryptic trying to run players out?
    edited March 2015
    wilv wrote: »
    Release Ocampa and Kazon as playable species. That's the only way I would bother on making a new alt.

I think the Kazon trait would be called "foolishness" but the Ocampa trait would probobly be as useful as the Reman trait
    Captain Joseph Riker, U.S.S. Odyssey==General V'Mar, U.S.S. Blackwater-A==Admiral Laura Holmes, U.S.S. Forward Unto Dawn
    Grand Master Thotok, son of Koloth, I.K.S. Sompek==Dahar Master Shanara, I.K.S. Balth'Quv

Admiral R'Tath V'Tirex, R.R.W. Dhael Glohha'enh==Commander Ta'eth Korval, R.R.W Hachae ch'Rhian==Admiral Vranuk, R.R.W Delevhas
    edited March 2015
    I am somewhat concerned by this new event. They are placing "New Recruits" over previous characters? Whats the incentive of being a veteran/long term character in this game now? I am not asking for "moar free stuffs", but seriously. Giving a new character an advantage that older characters can earn themselves? Is Cryptic trying to run players out?

you have a pretty good point...

• doubleohninedoubleohnine Member Posts: 818 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    My Captain volunteers to go back in time and warn the new Delta recruits of the mind numbing grind at Argala.
    STO: @AGNT009 Since Dec 2010
    Capt. Will Conquest of the U.S.S. Crusader
  • doubleohninedoubleohnine Member Posts: 818 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Further proof that Cryptic/PWE is only concerned with acquiring new players, and has absolutely zero interest in keeping existing ones. Pathetic.

#Troof

yada 10 characters yada
    STO: @AGNT009 Since Dec 2010
    Capt. Will Conquest of the U.S.S. Crusader
  • vonhellstingvonhellsting Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I have mixed feelings on this , on the one hand it's nice to have some incentive with perks to level a new character but on the other hand it makes it sound like you're obligated to level a new character if you want to remain competitive which I'm not exactly fond of.
    The Lobi Crystals are Faaaakkkkee!
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,644 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    We do know a new voice-over actor has joined the game recently. Whose interest wasn't solicited by Cryptic.

My initial response is that I'm intrigued. I seriously doubt Cryptic would waste such talent on mediocre content requiring only mini-games to experience beside the early content.

Are we going to experience another front of the temporal cold war introduced to us through Enterprise? I'm also recalling the Voyager episode, Relativity. Seven was recruited and beamed into the past for a mission which overlapped pre-established history. Sounds like this may be a twist on both concepts. Might our new character be from 2410. But recruited by the Temporal Accord to help out during 2409? Another blog will need to confirm such a detail, of course.

Critics have already stated openly that they aren't up to the challenge of starting a new character from scratch. :P That's fine as that play style isn't any less valid. I won't object to my fellow Veteran player's who sponge off the server unlock bonuses provided by us Delta Recruits.

You're welcome. :cool:
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • mattaukettmattaukett Member Posts: 190 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Personnally I'm going to reserve judgement on the event until further details come out.

On the one hand, it sounds like a good excuse to roll a new alt and go through a slightly different story with different goals. Then I look at the end game spec point grind and feel like crying at the thought of doing that with another new toon (my mains only just finished intelligence and is half way through commando, not to mention the Command and Pilot specs and that's without talking alts).

So if the event includes some sort of benefit that makes the spec point & R&D grinds (I'm less bothered about reps once the sponsorship token is taken into account) easier and quicker then I think this could be seen as fun. But if we're looking at another long slog then it'll probably end up being an event toon only.
  • nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Last month I deleted three toons because of the end game grind for levels, gear, etc. I have three left that I'm playing very little now at the moment. Tell me, what has changed so much that I should spend more time doing something that takes forever to do? Also are there actual T6 science ships for the KDF and Romulans or are there just Engineering command ships with a science label on them only? Finally, are there fleet T6 ships available or is that still in limbo with the KDF and Romulan science ships?
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • piotrtiberiuspiotrtiberius Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Even if the missions are mostly the same, they can still add some interesting new things to them. What was it that Sela said, "They aren't waiting at the end of a long road. You need to take a single step, at the right time." or words to that effect.

How many times in early missions has there been a suspicious asteroid that could easily be a disguised Iconian Gate?

With the proper forewarning, the Delta Recruit knows what to look for to twist the future to the Delta Alliance's favor in the future - thus the server-wide boosts.
  • tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Even if the missions are mostly the same, they can still add some interesting new things to them. What was it that Sela said, "They aren't waiting at the end of a long road. You need to take a single step, at the right time." or words to that effect.

How many times in early missions has there been a suspicious asteroid that could easily be a disguised Iconian Gate?

With the proper forewarning, the Delta Recruit knows what to look for to twist the future to the Delta Alliance's favor in the future - thus the server-wide boosts.

so we will just pretend the temporal accord doesnt exist?
  • scrooge69scrooge69 Member Posts: 1,108 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    everything a years old toon in a few weeks huh?

ok I hope you did not forget about
    -TONS of EC (some hundred million)
    -a fair amount of lobi
    -traits from boxes that are now very high priced on the exchange
    -rewards from the old featured episodes

did I miss anyth important?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2015
    psiameese wrote: »
    We do know a new voice-over actor has joined the game recently. Whose interest wasn't solicited by Cryptic.

My initial response is that I'm intrigued. I seriously doubt Cryptic would waste such talent on mediocre content requiring only mini-games to experience beside the early content.

Are we going to experience another front of the temporal cold war introduced to us through Enterprise? I'm also recalling the Voyager episode, Relativity. Seven was recruited and beamed into the past for a mission which overlapped pre-established history. Sounds like this may be a twist on both concepts. Might our new character be from 2410. But recruited by the Temporal Accord to help out during 2409? Another blog will need to confirm such a detail, of course.

Critics have already stated openly that they aren't up to the challenge of starting a new character from scratch. :P That's fine as that play style isn't any less valid. I won't object to my fellow Veteran player's who sponge off the server unlock bonuses provided by us Delta Recruits.

You're welcome. :cool:

Its not a matter of being up to a challenge or not, its about more or less having to abandon our old characters to have characters that will benefit from a new reward. I have had an active charater since the head start launch of this game thats being left out from bonuses because its apparently old hat to Cryptic?

I'm not even mentioning the two alts I have had since normal launch, my Catian, KDF, andmy Romulan. There no reason why those characters shouldnt an opportinity to earn those rewards as well. There has been a decent amount of time and in most cases money invested on those toons.

Why does anyone need to grind a new toon to get an ability, just for that toon, that couldnt be earned for ones that we already like, but now will be at a disadvantage to new toons. This pretty much sounds like the opposite of "customer appreciation day/month/etc." It pretty much sounds like planned obsolescense for charaters to me.
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    No. The Delta Recruits are people from 2410 sent back to 2409 to alter or protect history while doing side missions to defend the timeline.

I'm not seeing that.
    Delta Recruits have a secondary responsibility, and that is to prepare themselves, their crews, and their entire factions for the coming Iconian War. A mysterious benefactor, an experienced captain traveling back in time, will contact all Delta Recruits during their faction’s tutorial and inform them of the opportunities not to be missed during their career.

Sounds to me that the recruits are in 2409 and receive their information from a time traveller. No mention of the player's character doing the time travelling -- although you could easily work that in to your character bio if you want.

This is the one cool thing about this that has my interest. Up until now, we've been playing the game and seeing all of these missions from one relatively linear viewpoint. That's the viewpoint of history that our veteran characters have.

Suddenly we have the opportunity to see all of those missions in a different light, if Cryptic has done it right. Things that happened for reasons we didn't realize the first dozen times or so we played through the whole thing. Why that mission we didn't care for before had to end the way it did. Behind-the-scenes stuff.

The thing that would have been better, IMO, would have been rewriting all of those missions from the perspective of a temporal agent and running across your other characters as they carried out their missions. I can see where that would have been a bit too resource-intensive for anything less than another expansion, with more risk than Delta Rising was.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    scrooge69 wrote: »
    everything a years old toon in a few weeks huh?

ok I hope you did not forget about
    -TONS of EC (some hundred million)
    -a fair amount of lobi
    -traits from boxes that are now very high priced on the exchange
    -rewards from the old featured episodes

did I miss anyth important?
    -Accolades. Including several that can no longer be done at all.
    -Rewards from Anniversary, Crystal Event, Mirror Invasion events. All unavalable with no hint of any re-runs ever. The Summer and Winter event rewards will have to wait for the next time they run, but will presumably be available then.
  • divvydenddivvydend Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I dunno about all of this. It all strikes me as rather fishy. It's convenient that the 2nd April falls on a Thursday.

That means of course that the final release notes for this new "content" will be posted on ... 1ST APRIL !!! da-da-dah.

OK maybe just me being cynical but you get that way after falling for these type of things a few times.

edit
    Just a thought but where is this being tested? I don't see it on either Redshirt or Tribble?
    edited March 2015
    Its not a matter of being up to a challenge or not, its about more or less having to abandon our old characters to have characters that will benefit from a new reward. I have had an active charater since the head start launch of this game thats being left out from bonuses because its apparently old hat to Cryptic?

Who said anything about abandoning old characters? I certainly won't be. Call it a hiatus. Or putting characters I'm not playing anyway on hold for a little while.

I just got done levelling two of my characters to 60. Gratifying as that was, I'm ready to take a break before I start another of my existing alts on the grind to 60. When this is over, I'll go back and start my Romulan back on track to 60.

I will admit that limiting the 'Delta Recruitment' to a specific timeframe, especially if this is intended to be a one-time event, leaves me scratching my head. I don't understand why they would go to a lot of effort to add content that relatively few characters can ever participate in.

But "excluding" older characters? They've already gone and done all of those missions. Their personal histories -- their timelines, if you will -- are already set. They never did any of the things that these 'Delta Recruits' will do. From a role-playing perspective, this makes perfect sense to me. This isn't about pimping out your old characters with the latest gimmick, although there will be plenty of that.

They're putting a little of the RPG back into the MMO. I see that as a good thing, unless the execution of it leaves me wanting.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2015
    warpangel wrote: »
    -Accolades. Including several that can no longer be done at all.
    -Rewards from Anniversary, Crystal Event, Mirror Invasion events. All unavalable with no hint of any re-runs ever.

Except for the shotgun, I don't use any of the event special gear/doffs. The episode rerun items I do use, and it seems they replaced that with this Delta event. As for the accolades, well, it doesn't affect gameplay and frankly, I only do them in a single toon because they are a a pain to obtain.
  • papasezpapasez Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    While I firmly maintain that if you can't level a new character in a few days, you simply aren't trying, I like the approach taken here to curb the complaint of levelling a character taking too long (seriously, how!?!?). It also addresses the grindy aspect of gearing up for the end game content to some extent (hope there's some big Rep Mark pay-outs in there somewhere) and that more than anything is pushing me towards finally rolling up that Klingon I've been thinking about. Maybe even a Romulan while I'm at it.

Obviously I'll reserve my final judgement until more details are released but based on what's been presented thus far, I really like what I see. So far I haven't seen a single valid knock against this so it seems to also have the added benefit of exposing those who clearly just want to complain about something - anything, for the contrarians they clearly are.
  • thorodalthorodal Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I'm having mixed feelings about this event.

While new content is always great, even if it's just "running alongside" the old one, why exactly do I need to create a new toon to experience it?

Why can't this mysterious temporal benefactor not send my main back in time to replace my past self during a mission rerun to stop those temporal shenanigans that apparently are going to take place? This would give me a nice motivation to actually do some reruns at least.

My main wouldn't even need all of those nifty little boosts a new toon could get along the way. I would be happy if those final rewards could be achieved this way instead as I'm not very eager right now to create another character. I'm not even half way done with those specializations on my existing ones. So why would I want to add another one to this? I'm no TRIBBLE.
    edited March 2015
    divvydend wrote: »
    I dunno about all of this. It all strikes me as rather fishy. It's convenient that the 2nd April falls on a Thursday.

That means of course that the final release notes for this new "content" will be posted on ... 1ST APRIL !!! da-da-dah.

OK maybe just me being cynical but you get that way after falling for these type of things a few times.

edit
    Just a thought but where is this being tested? I don't see it on either Redshirt or Tribble?

Yeah, the thought had occurred to me. But this is a bit too elaborate for an April Fool's Joke, and I can see a considerable backlash if they did.

Promising something that they never deliver on? Building up the hype for weeks and leaking the event ahead of schedule just for the sake of a stupid prank? Don't you think they've been tarred with that brush too many times to want to do that DELIBERATELY? That would be the dumbest thing they ever did. You can quote me on that.

Prank? Sure, why not? But not this. I won't say never, and I'll admit that it could be -- there are elements that would make sense if it were only a prank. But it would be a really bad idea and I can't see them being that foolish when they're so clever about other things and they have experience that should tell them the backlash would be bad.

The reaction to this thread alone would give anyone sane the distinct impression that there are people with no sense of humor where STO is concerned and this would not be a harmless prank. This would be another PR disaster.
  • abdeziel9abdeziel9 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Looks like I'll be deleting my level 24 Romulan I've ignored for so long and starting from scratch on her. After getting the DR rewards that I could, I've left my main toon alone for a while; not even wanting to grind reputation lately. I don't want to spend a lot of money on a T6 ship when I'm happy with the ones I've acquired - even the Samsar while appealing doesn't appeal to me to equip it completely right now; it took me ages to start flying a Vesta when my Wells was suited for what I wanted to do.
  • thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    This would have been better timed if done before the winter event so the Delta Recruit could have a free T5-U or T6 ship.

At least the Risian ships aren't too far off but that's still a lot of wasted mastery skill going out the airlock if they are played at all.

If I don't go Fed I'll be stuck with fake T5 ships until Risa and I've already got one extra Fed captain as it is. I'm currently running two Fed captains through the non-DR story missions to avoid DR until I'm high enough level to not have to grind patrol missions so I'm really not looking to start a third Fed this soon. If I go KDF I don't have any ships that will earn mastery and I'm no where near being sold on plunking down $25-30 on a ship one, and only one, captain will fly in a faction I've never really cared for.
    bluegeek wrote: »
    Prank? Sure, why not? But not this. I won't say never, and I'll admit that it could be -- there are elements that would make sense if it were only a prank. But it would be a really bad idea and I can't see them being that foolish when they're so clever about other things and they have experience that should tell them the backlash would be bad.

The reaction to this thread alone would give anyone sane the distinct impression that there are people with no sense of humor where STO is concerned and this would not be a harmless prank. This would be another PR disaster.

If anyone should have experience with backlash it should be Cryptic (after Sony).

Humor requires goodwill. Cryptic has frivolously spent what they had.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    This whole thing gives me an ominous sense of dread. Even though the teaser post is light on details it sounds like more grind to me. And no, I will absolutely never dump my main character. There is no way to incentivize me to do such a thing. Planned obsolescence indeed.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • captainmal3captainmal3 Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    If this were for april fools we'd have got this blog on april 1st and then told the next day at the latest it was a joke, we wouldn't have been told over three weeks in advance. That would just be stupid. And I mean really mind-numbingly idiotic.

I'd really like confirmation one way or the other as to whether delta recruits are going to get permanent bonuses over older characters. That's my only major worry really. Having to make a new character for this event, while pretty lame, isn't really all that different to having to create a new character to experience the klingon or romulan storylines. Having characters created during this event permanently stronger than older characters (when equipped and played otherwise equally) is something I really hope cryptic isn't stupid enough to do.
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    bluegeek wrote: »
    Yeah, the thought had occurred to me. But this is a bit too elaborate for an April Fool's Joke, and I can see a considerable backlash if they did.

Promising something that they never deliver on? Building up the hype for weeks and leaking the event ahead of schedule just for the sake of a stupid prank? Don't you think they've been tarred with that brush too many times to want to do that DELIBERATELY? That would be the dumbest thing they ever did. You can quote me on that.

All I can say is arenanet is the mmorpg company to look at for april fools jokes. First they release patch notes that give a long list like its a new content patch. Then it actually makes you download a sizeable patch which doesn't hurt because its what you have already downloaded. Then they do something like one year in guild wars the original they turned every player into a stick figure. They did put up a youtube video I think was last year or year before that for gw2 showing a new playable class called the commando class.

Anyways when addressing the elaboration of a prank I'm not sure if Cryptic could handle the stick figure part because all available people on deck will be trying to keep the game running with 4 people logged in.
  • thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    If this were for april fools we'd have got this blog on april 1st and then told the next day at the latest it was a joke, we wouldn't have been told over three weeks in advance. That would just be stupid. And I mean really mind-numbingly idiotic.

It's the Cryptic Way (they're doing "April fools" every month or so) ... release a PR-Blog several Weeks in advance ... to pre-nerf everything 24h before the Event starts ... editing the orginal Blog afterwards :P
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.